RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
taxes
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
taxes

um does anyone else think its stupid that they got tax brackets. so depending on how much money you make you'll have to pay more. cause i think it should be one flat rate for everyone.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
02-22-2009 04:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Re: taxes

Of course they should have tax brackets. Why should a struggling family who makes minimum wage have to pay the same as a multi-billionaire who owns a private jet? Hell, they tried a flat rate in Massachusetts in 1786 and it led to a bloody rebellion.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
02-22-2009 04:48 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

so just cause some on is succesfull they should have to pay more, no.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

02-22-2009 04:54 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Tax brackets are a good idea in my opinion. The upper class can afford to give a little more to the government so that the people who really need the money don't have to pay as much. It's a indirect bit of Keynesian economics. You give lots of money to the rich, they'll just hoard it. Spread it around to the lower and middle classes, and the economy gets moving.

K
S
02-22-2009 04:56 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Yeah. It's not like they're making rich people poor, it's just that they can afford to give a little more than others.
In the words of Spiderman, "With great power comes great responsability." If you own a huge company and billions of dollars, you owe the country more than someone in a trailer park.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
02-22-2009 05:05 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

that should be their decision not ours.

-weeds-

02-22-2009 05:18 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Of course it shouldn't. That's like saying that people shouldn't overthrow dictators; it should be left up to the dictator whether or not he wants to step down. When someone accumulates a massive amount of power, the people have to ensure that they don't abuse it. Since money basically equals power in this world, the same rules should apply to the super-rich.

02-22-2009 07:09 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

theres a difference. dictators use force and kill people. rich people just did the right things and wre in the right place at the right time.

-weeds-

02-22-2009 08:07 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

The invisible hand is sometimes the strongest. The rich wield considerable power with their money. They can buy politicians, legislation, public opinion, most everything. Indirectly, a corporation that isn't watched can easily manipulate the government into doing their bidding.

K
S
02-22-2009 08:32 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

more likly a state. and still they shouldn't have to pay more for doing better.

-weeds-

02-22-2009 08:40 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Just because someone is rich does not mean they worked hard or are a capable businessman. What if they were corrupt? What if they inherited their wealth and never worked a day in their life? What if they stole? According to your logic, Al Capone and Paris Hilton were models of good citizenship and should be rewarded for their hard work and perseverance.

02-22-2009 10:42 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

not everyone is like that tho. some people do work for it. and because of people like paris hilton they dont deserve to be treated like everyone else. what crap is that. and al capone actully wasnt that bad his soup kitchen helped out alot of people.

-weeds-

02-22-2009 12:10 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

"They don't deserve to be treated like everyone else?"

Okay, please tell me that you were saying something else in your head.

K
S
02-22-2009 12:22 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

come on you are succesfull. you got your own buisness. shouldnt you be able to enjoy all the money you made. instead of having to pay more in taxes.

-weeds-

02-22-2009 12:24 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

They do. Dude, we're not talking about making them poor. Some of these guys have more money than they could ever spend. How is it the right thing to leave it sitting in their bank vault while over half the world starves? It's elitist, cruel, unfair, and against everything democracy is supposed to stand for.

02-22-2009 02:54 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

not democracy is for the pursuit of happyness. i doupt that their happy when they make just enough to get into the new tax braket they end up loseing money. its bullshit. it ain't their fault the world is cruel.

-weeds-

02-22-2009 04:17 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Oh my god, dude, please read posts before replying. They're not becoming poor! These billionaires are not suffering and no matter how much they pay in taxes, they won't even feel the bite! They'll still have mansions and jets and the best food and awesome cars and whatever they want. It's just a way of keeping all that extra money from being wasted.

Oh, and by the way, for about 95% of the world, it absolutely is the upper class's fault that the world is unfair and cruel.

02-23-2009 01:11 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

dude not really. still they shouldnt have to pay more. and tax brackets suck. cause say you finally got enough money to get into anouther tax bracket. it takes a biger percentage of the money you just made. so you end up with less money.

-weeds-

02-23-2009 09:27 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

But you still have more than most of the world. I'm not sure what your point is. You lose more money, but you have so much already that it evens out. Actually, it doesn't really even out because you're still rich as hell. What exactly is the problem here?

02-23-2009 11:25 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

dude its not just billoinares who gota pay more. just upper middle class does too. heck reguler middle class

-weeds-

02-23-2009 12:41 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Well, that's a problem that needs to be fixed. But I have no sympathy for the billionaires. The middle class is an entirely different matter.

02-24-2009 09:02 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

you can't let some one get specail treatment cause they aint doing well. it should be the same for everyone equel.

-weeds-

02-24-2009 11:05 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

classclown Wrote:you can't let some one get specail treatment cause they aint doing well.
What? Since when? Isn't that the whole idea of, you know, humanity? Are people who put quarters in a homeless guy's cup just dirty commies?
I just don't see why a billionaire and struggling middle or lower class family should ever be treated equal. They're not equal.

02-24-2009 11:20 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

every person is made equal. doesnt matter how much money they make. and if someone wants to donate to the poor let them do it themselves. dont make them.

-weeds-

02-24-2009 11:28 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

And what if nobody does? Do we let millions of people all around the world starve because we don't want billionaires to feel like they won't be fully compensated for their efforts? Are we so afraid that they'll only get a yacht instead of a jet that we're willing to sacrifice generations of poor? I'm sorry, I just can't morally support a system like that. I support people's freedom to do anything that does not take freedom from others, and accumulating that much wealth while others have nothing is as much a form of oppression as putting tanks in the streets.

02-25-2009 06:03 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

some want to live like hobos. and people should worry about there own country first. i lived in the ghetto people had 2 crs and a color tv most of the time. thats not that poor.

and people would if the goveremnt didnt piss them off. people our more likely to do something when there not firced.

-weeds-

02-25-2009 07:49 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

classclown Wrote:some want to live like hobos. and people should worry about there own country first. i lived in the ghetto people had 2 crs and a color tv most of the time. thats not that poor.
Ok, I'm not economic expert but I'm pretty sure that most people don't want to live like hobos. And what ghetto did you live in? Doesn't sound like too bad of a ghetto to me. How about using actual facts instead of just your own personal experiances in one place?

Quote:and people would if the goveremnt didnt piss them off. people our more likely to do something when there not firced.

That's ridiculous. You can't just keep giving money to rich people and expect that someday you'll reach critical mass and they'll become generous. There are CEOs and bankers out there who don't hesitate to ruin the lives of thousands just to get money they'll probably never even spend. It's primal, irrational greed, and any system that depends on them will eventually collapse.

02-26-2009 05:51 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

You're right. These tax brackets aren't trying to make the rich poor. It's trying to make the wealthy move to the middle-class, and make the poor move to the middle-class.

Also, Rebelnerd, how is it your business what people do with their money?
02-26-2009 11:46 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

actully that is fact rebelnerd look it up

-weeds-

02-26-2009 01:45 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

BobManPerson Wrote:You're right. These tax brackets aren't trying to make the rich poor. It's trying to make the wealthy move to the middle-class, and make the poor move to the middle-class.
That won't happen. The real upper class could lose over half their wealth and still live in mansions. Nobody's being forced into a lower class with taxes. It just makes sure the people in the lower class don't live in a shithole slum.

[/quote]Also, Rebelnerd, how is it your business what people do with their money?[/quote]
Not mine, the world's. And it's for the same reason that it's our business what the government does with its power. Just because a President worked hard to become a President doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants with his newfound power, and I believe that same rule applies to money. I'd be a hyprocrite if I ranted against the unfair balance of power between the people and the government and the turned around and said the rich can do whatever they want with half the world's wealth.

02-27-2009 05:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Keeping the Slaves on the Plantation: Senate Says No Passport if You Owe Taxes HeartofShadows 9 6,981 05-15-2012 11:06 AM
Last Post: Aya