RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Hypocritical School Vent
Yereshkigal Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
My Hypocritical School Vent

I go to a charter school, I chose it because it's small and the teachers actually 'care' unlike some schools. However I was tempted to run away when I came there and saw the rules.

1st. The dress code. Boys are required to have their hair cropped short.
No one can wear jeans ever, nor can they wear black shirts, but they can wear black pants. We aren't aloud to wear any labels, and can only 'wear' some kinds of colours, even our shoes have a dress code.

2nd. Detentions, I have 20 detentions because I came to class late by 2 minutes. They have told me I need to make up each class for the whole class period minute for minute that's 55 minutes for missing only 2-3 minutes getting into class... and they say they won't let you graduate unless you make it up.

3rd. They have thrown in Advanced Functions and given it to us because they couldn't decide which 4th year math to force us to study(it's a college prep school). I'm not going to any 4 year college, I'm going to a community college and taking a paramedic course right out of highschool while training to be a dog trainer. The new math teacher never gives you a breather with homework, and she's cold blooded.

Everyday I sit in class and ask myself if I'm going to have to make a detention for 55 minutes for coming late to class for 3 or 5 minutes I might as well take my time getting to class, because I'll have to do it anyway!

I asked them will I fail highschool and have to get a GED if I pass every single thing I've had to pass but can't get through 1 required course and they said no you'd take a remedial course over the summer and still graduate with the rest of your class.

So I'm asking myself a year of hell, vs. 3 months of an online math class...and what's worse is, if not all highschools require 4 years of math, what if I just transferred to a highschool that only requires 3. I'm 19 and stuck in highschool because when I transferred here all the work I did meant nothing, and I had to retake classes I had passed before.

What gets me is the detentions, the dress code sucks and sucks out all individuality, and is extremely sexist, we can't wear labels, and yet the teachers can walk in with high hooker boots, and bright and colourful clothing and jeans, and the sort with the excuse of "Well we're teachers we're authority figures you're the students, we get paid to work here you don't." okay...

They demand your respect, and emphasis their authority over you and your submission to them, and say well buddy this is what college and the real world is like.... and so I am like well the career path I'm on doesn't involve 15-30 page essays about a rock rolling down a hill...

What's worse is this new Senior Project that you have to do or they won't let you graduate. It's easy I'll pass it but time consuming and colleges don't even look at it.

So the 4th year of extra math built for students who are planning to go to a rigorous college, which I am NOT going to do, and yet we all have to prepare for it.

Combined with Senior seminars designed because obviously we have nothing better to do with our lives than to write research projects and present to a group of people who judge us and our worth.

Along with 20 detentions and growing (which btw used to be 1 hr and 55 minutes not 55 minutes last year at which it took me several months). Because coming in late by 2-3 minutes is equivalent to 1 absence which you have to make up for 55 minutes. I'm rarely absent and yet I have 20 absences to make up...

The dress code I can live with even though its slightly oppressive (for the males more than it is for the females), and designed to get rid of your individuality and to emphasis the teachers superiority complex over you.

But 20 detentions for 55 minutes to make up (and growing) along with an extra math I'm not going to be using and can't force my brain to wrap around to begin with...it's like damn this school is built to be unfair.

The last highschool I was in believed in freedom, and at the same time they cared. You had off campus lunches, they treated you like college students, you came in and left when you pleased but you still came in, and passed because you did work, and they had alternatives. This school is so militant, they don't let you leave the building, the building is 'locked', you have to 'buzz' in and be ID'ed through the video camera by a security guard (a.k.a the secretary).

I mean the teachers are nice and all, and the only reason I'm still there is because the teachers care, but these rules, and these laws, and these obstacles, and I'm like there has got to be a way out of this!

Anyway I have to go to school in a few minutes, but I don't even care anymore. What's one more 55 minute detention, I'm not making them up. So if I pass the grade which I'm doing, and still have to make 20+ detentions for 55 minutes unless I can't graduate then at this point I'm like screw it. I'll graduate go to college take a remedial math course, and continue on my merry way.

And that's just a vent, that's me venting, I know I'm a whinner, but really I don't have to put up with the lack of parity. I mean they nearly had me fed into the bullshit that if I wanted to be anything with my life I would have to be a doctor/lawyer/or veternarian, wildlife biologist was an exception, when all I wanted to be was a dog rehabilitator/animal rescue while doing paramedic part time to make some actual money while my partner goes in to be a massage therapist/reiki healer.

I'm not a consumer, I'm an earth loving hippy who doesn't need a shitload of money to live alternatively. I hear so many people who went to college, got a job, and are so unhappy, and in massive depth.

I'm paying 200 something dollars one time just to be an EMT-Basic at a community college, and then I take 1 test and I'm qualified. And I'm not complaining. Most of the big shots out there never went to college. Caesar Millan (Dog Whisperer), people who own those big restaurant chains, so many people. All they had was a heart, some talent, and a dream that they pursued with or without college.

*whew* thats my rant and now I'm like going to be late, but I'm genuinely thinking of blowing passed this school day while at school. I'm going to ask the principal if she can suspend me (lol it may not work but whatever, it's worth a shot.).
02-24-2009 10:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: My Hypocritical School Vent

In your post you mentioned that you are 19 years old. If so, there is no reason for you to go to a highschool. Drop out, justd don't go, problem solved.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
02-25-2009 11:39 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Fire Elf Wrote:In your post you mentioned that you are 19 years old. If so, there is no reason for you to go to a highschool. Drop out, justd don't go, problem solved.
QFT

Who am I? Who are YOU?
02-25-2009 11:41 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

There's nothing wrong with just getting a GED, it's 99% identical to a high school diploma and can get you in pretty much all the same places as a regular diploma. More info here.

You might also like this site: www.whywork.org

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-25-2009 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BIOSHOCK Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Quote:Detentions, I have 20 detentions because I came to class late by 2 minutes. They have told me I need to make up each class for the whole class period minute for minute that's 55 minutes for missing only 2-3 minutes getting into class... and they say they won't let you graduate unless you make it up.
WTF!!!! Cuckoo Cuckoo

The Revolution evaporates, & leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy. The chains of tormented mankind are made out of red tape
[Image: antifa2.jpg]
03-04-2009 04:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hypocritical statements by the school SeReNiTY 2 1,746 03-07-2014 02:11 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  WHY SO HYPOCRITICAL!? Asder Miller The Second 19 5,581 08-21-2013 06:42 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  This seems hypocritical. Loxor 12 2,493 11-02-2009 01:13 AM
Last Post: Loxor
  Hypocritical much ?! screwTHEschool 14 2,951 10-23-2009 02:44 PM
Last Post: AWOL