RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why my (public) school is better than your school
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
Why my (public) school is better than your school

1. We're allowed to say whatever we want in class. Seriously. Some people swear in some of my classes, and the teachers don't mind.

2. We're allowed to freely publish what we want. Proof of this is that someone published an article in the school newspaper about how the word "nigger" is actually not offensive when used using its correct definition. Most other schools would probably give you detentions if you tried to get an article like that published.

3. No bullshit health code. My school has the greatest food service ever. They actually sell real desserts there (cakes, pies, and brownies being a few examples). There's also 6 vending machines in the cafeteria, half of which sell real drinks like Coke, Sprite, etc. There's also a candy store next to the cafeteria that's open before school and during periods 1-6.
4. The teachers there are actually good and actually enjoy their jobs.

5. An emphasis on what the students want instead of what the teachers want. Recent rennovations to the school include the addition of a new, contemporary two-story auditorium, the addition of a rock climbing wall as well as a new rock-climbing/camping class that's an alternative to gym class, the addition of an Olympic-size swimming pool that's frequently used by gym classes and during free periods, more student parking spots (as well as more faculty parking spots) and the addition of a new student commons, cafeteria, and library.

6. Books aren't banned from my school's library. I've seen books like Mein Kampf and other books that would normally be banned.

7. Tons of elective classes. I've counted at least three dozen elective classes you can take, including electives in art (generic art, photography, graphic design, and others), world language (current languages are Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Mandarin Chinese), computer-related (CAD, architecture, business, marketing, video production), as well as others.

8. Tons of non-elective classes; there are 14 possible science classes that can be taken, 9 possible math classes, 16 history classes, and 8 English classes.

And that's all I can think of right now. If I missed any, I'll add them.
03-08-2009 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
Re: Why my (public) school is better than your school

That's great.

woah dude
dude woah
03-08-2009 06:16 AM
Thought Crimnal Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

my school has a shitty pool it was made in the 50's because some super rich lady donated the money for the pool and a football stadium both of which were quite impressive back in the day. all the other schools we jealous because we were the only school with a pool and a stadium.
though now that all of that has become standard for schools ours is probably the worst in the county.
the pool is a small out door pool. and the stadium is fucking huge with locker rooms underneath it but there are a billion coats of paint on it and the locker room has been converted into a second weight room full of shitty equipment (the weight room next to the gym is actually pretty nice though)

Watch on YouTube
03-08-2009 06:24 AM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:1. We're allowed to say whatever we want in class. Seriously. Some people swear in some of my classes, and the teachers don't mind.

2. We're allowed to freely publish what we want. Proof of this is that someone published an article in the school newspaper about how the word "nigger" is actually not offensive when used using its correct definition. Most other schools would probably give you detentions if you tried to get an article like that published.

3. No bullshit health code. My school has the greatest food service ever. They actually sell real desserts there (cakes, pies, and brownies being a few examples). There's also 6 vending machines in the cafeteria, half of which sell real drinks like Coke, Sprite, etc. There's also a candy store next to the cafeteria that's open before school and during periods 1-6.

5. An emphasis on what the students want instead of what the teachers want. Recent rennovations to the school include the addition of a new, contemporary two-story auditorium, the addition of a rock climbing wall as well as a new rock-climbing/camping class that's an alternative to gym class, the addition of an Olympic-size swimming pool that's frequently used by gym classes and during free periods, more student parking spots (as well as more faculty parking spots) and the addition of a new student commons, cafeteria, and library.

6. Books aren't banned from my school's library. I've seen books like Mein Kampf and other books that would normally be banned.

7. Tons of elective classes. I've counted at least three dozen elective classes you can take, including electives in art (generic art, photography, graphic design, and others), world language (current languages are Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Mandarin Chinese), computer-related (CAD, architecture, business, marketing, video production), as well as others.

8. Tons of non-elective classes; there are 14 possible science classes that can be taken, 9 possible math classes, 16 history classes, and 8 English classes.

And that's all I can think of right now. If I missed any, I'll add them.

I'm taking the next train to Illinois.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
03-08-2009 07:42 AM
Thought Crimnal Offline
Revolutionary

I'm going to be driving there. Who wants me to pick them up?

Watch on YouTube
03-08-2009 07:52 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Also, the Anatomy I class got to see open-heart surgery as part of a field trip.
03-08-2009 08:18 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

thought criminal Wrote:I'm going to be driving there. Who wants me to pick them up?

Me. We'll grab Alexis too, and he can turn that school into NorthEast with his acts of mischief.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
03-08-2009 09:15 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

BobMan, please shut the FUCK up about your "great" prison cell. Sure, it's got a fluffy pillow, a nice window view and a working toilet, but all in all, please think of the inmates who don't have these things, and keep in mind that when they snap on their murderous rampage, you might be their first target.
03-09-2009 10:30 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Trar Wrote:please think of the inmates who don't have these things, and keep in mind that when they snap on their murderous rampage, you might be their first target.
So if you decided to go on a murderous rampage, you'd take the next plane to wherever I live and kill me first?
03-09-2009 11:04 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

BobManPerson Wrote:
Trar Wrote:please think of the inmates who don't have these things, and keep in mind that when they snap on their murderous rampage, you might be their first target.
So if you decided to go on a murderous rampage, you'd take the next plane to wherever I live and kill me first?
By the time I snap, you'd be writing letters to magazines about your awesome seaside Mediterranean mansion with the gold-plated bidet toilets and the robot that brings you food and jacks you off.
03-09-2009 11:30 AM
Thought Crimnal Offline
Revolutionary

lol wut?

Watch on YouTube
03-09-2009 11:48 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Goddamn, Trar, stop ruining this thread.

It's perfectly fine for someone to describe their school not being shit. Seriously, do you want EVERYONE to consider some other dick's unfortunate situation and shut the fuck up about how awesome they feel just cause of someone ELSE'S unfortunate situation. Not a damn one of these guys has gotten pissed of during the few times I gloated about getting my GED and being done with a miserable formal education. Or they have, and just haven't told me to shut the fuck up about it. Just like no one will cater to my "Use grammar or die" thing, no one's going to cater to your "Stop making meh feel inadequate D:" thing, and I'm pretty sure they'll make it much much worse for you because you don't want to here everyone else being happy.

Now please.

Shut up now, mkay? <3
03-09-2009 12:29 PM
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I just actually read your post.

There is a not offensive way to say "nigger'"?

And Oni-Chiisu, I think you took Trar's posts way too seriously.
03-09-2009 12:35 PM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Goddamn, Trar, stop ruining this thread.

It's perfectly fine for someone to describe their school not being shit. Seriously, do you want EVERYONE to consider some other dick's unfortunate situation and shut the fuck up about how awesome they feel just cause of someone ELSE'S unfortunate situation. Not a damn one of these guys has gotten pissed of during the few times I gloated about getting my GED and being done with a miserable formal education. Or they have, and just haven't told me to shut the fuck up about it. Just like no one will cater to my "Use grammar or die" thing, no one's going to cater to your "Stop making meh feel inadequate D:" thing, and I'm pretty sure they'll make it much much worse for you because you don't want to here everyone else being happy.

Now please.

Shut up now, mkay? <3
Sorry about that. I usually don't post like that, but I was feeling a bit small on the asscrack of the world then.

Also, NO U SHUT UP LOL
03-09-2009 12:57 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

You're right, your prison camp is so much better than ours.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
03-09-2009 12:58 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

I'll post whatever I want in this forum. If you think I care about how you feel, you're sadly mistaken.
03-10-2009 09:27 AM
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

You're like the Ice-T of this forum.
03-10-2009 09:31 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Cash won't buy me or make me thing my prison cell is great.

Prison is prison.

What you have is great Bobman;

Quote:1. We're allowed to say whatever we want in class. Seriously. Some people swear in some of my classes, and the teachers don't mind.

Here's the counterpart of what we have here;

1. We get detentions if a teacher sees it fit.

2. We are not allowed to publish stuff unless it's "proper" and even so, we don't even have a journal.

3. They removed any vending machines 3 years ago because it would make future generations fatter otherwise(according to the school board) and the cafeteria only sells overpriced "healthy" heated frozen crap.

4. Most of the teachers are bad and hate their job, and who takes the punishment? The students!

5. There's no emphasis whatsoever on what students OR teachers want, it's all about looking good compared to the other schools(Like technology that's never used or renovation in some specific spots).

6. Some books are banned from my school library, but most that are bought are just bought randomly out of a bag unless they're popular, I've seen hentai quite a couple of time lurking in some books.

7-8. We only have boring elective classes(Like art with teachers with no qualification to teach, biology, music, more gym, psychology, multimedia with a teacher that doesn't know what she's teaching) and we have no choice on non-elective classes except for advanced maths or non-advanced maths, physics, chemistry and advanced science.
03-10-2009 09:42 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Also, to add on to other stuff, my school used to have a shooting range and a bowling alley underneath the basement. Both were open to students. The shooting range was used mostly for one of the P.E. classes you could take, which incorporated skeet shooting in its curriculum. The bowling alley was used for the former bowling team and was also open to students throughout the day. A weight room now sits where they used to be.

Also, as part of one history teacher's lesson plan, he brought a musket to school and fired it (unloaded, obviously) in class. It's a thing he does every year.

Also, throughout banned books week my school's library had a huge display full of banned books, encouraging people to read them.
03-20-2010 07:07 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

FUCK.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-20-2010 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Seriously bitmap, you have a deathwish or something.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
03-20-2010 08:16 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Ceiling Cat Wrote:Seriously bitmap, you have a deathwish or something.

CC is on the move, folks
03-20-2010 08:25 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

It's not all good, though. School starts at 7:50 AM. I have to get up at 5:30 each morning just to get to the bus on time, which comes at 6:30.
03-20-2010 08:28 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:It's not all good, though. School starts at 7:50 AM. I have to get up at 5:30 each morning just to get to the bus on time, which comes at 6:30.

Now we see the true colors of your school. I wake up 6:30, leave by 7:20, class starts at 7:45.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-20-2010 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is your -real- opinion on the public school system? Ky 27 9,529 01-03-2017 07:31 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Public Opinion on Public school MurkScribe 4 2,033 05-23-2015 10:32 PM
Last Post: Ilija.m
  Transitioning from middle school to high school Username 5 2,206 04-24-2015 07:43 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  a good analogy for the public school system Mo the jo 10 6,526 10-01-2014 03:41 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
Bug Post High-School Memories and Home School Emberline 9 2,580 07-03-2014 04:46 PM
  Enough Is Enough: Why I Withdrew My Daughter From Public School xcriteria 2 1,753 05-19-2014 04:45 AM
Last Post: KFC Nyan Cat
  biased in favor of public schooling, high school diploma Potato 2 2,423 05-08-2013 06:16 AM
  How the Brazillian public school system works Luizao876 5 3,455 02-13-2012 11:19 PM
Last Post: proud-scene-kid
Rainbow So basically I got kicked out of my school, and sent to alternate school. Tofu Girl 30 16,940 01-13-2012 02:31 PM
Last Post: SilentKam
  After a long discussion about why I hate public school... Dirtbikemike 19 6,807 01-06-2012 03:14 PM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike