RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Love
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Love

Love

Discussions about love.

Unconditional Love
I don't believe in it, I never have, but I do want to, I always want to. I've been offered it, and I never know what the hell to do with such an offer. My past experience has been that those who offer it are speaking from that first flush of eager passion, that madness that compels you to give, that initial glow that opens you like a flower, but love always comes with conditions. Let us dig a little deeper and see if we can hit upon the rocks of eternal truth. Unconditional love is not possible because love is selfish...

Feeling compassion toward your enemies...
The definition of compassion is: wanting others to be free from suffering. So compassion is the definition of the highest scope of motivation. It is said that to generate genuine compassion, one needs to realise that oneself is suffering, that an end to suffering is possible, and that other beings similarly want to be free from suffering. Someone asked the following question to His Holiness the Dalai Lama:  "How does a person or group of people compassionately and yet straightforwardly confront another person or group of people who have committed crimes of genocide against them?"

Sex vs Dating/Marriage
My question is: can two people maintain a purely sexual relationship, where they are not friends at all? Would you consider that acceptable or superficial and wrong? Why?

Love and dependency
When you love someone enough, I think it's natural to be somewhat dependent on them. You become accustomed to the friendship/entertainment/support they give you, and when that friendship is missing for too long, you feel down.

love
i'm tired of people trying to define,love or say what it is.
since i think only you can know what love is .
like when some asks you if they are in love they should know them selves,and if someone says your not in love how do they know.
and i think everyone feels love in a slightly different way than someone else or rather they perceive it differently then someone else.

true love
what's ur definition of true love?

Polyamory
First, a definition: Polyamory (from poly=multiple + amor=love) is the desire, practice, or acceptance of having more than one loving, intimate relationship at a time with the full knowledge and consent of everyone involved. ...
Literally, "many loves". A generic term for non-monogamy, with a heavy emphasis on honesty and responsibility. (2)
Both ripped from Google. Now, what are your opinions on it?

What is love not?
Is love what the government tells us to do, die for the love of your country?
Or love as religion , abandon sex for the love of God?
Or sexual pleasure?
Can you define what love is without the prejudice of your conditioned mind, can you clear up this confusion that society has brought you?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-02-2011 03:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
RE: Love

No such thing as unconditional love. At least not in my eyes. There's always actions somebody can take that will make me just not want to be around the person anymore, even turning what I once called love in to pure hatred. Love is nothing more than a strong emotional connection that has seemingly no place in logic.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
10-27-2011 04:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Quote:that has seemingly no place in logic.

Uh yes it does. It keeps people alive. You love someone you want to protect them. The longer they live the more chance there will be offspring. It is logical. Just not how it plays out all the time lol Though I agree with you about unconditional love for the most part. Love can be very powerful though.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2011 04:50 AM by UnschoolShqiponjë.)
10-27-2011 04:50 AM
 Thanks given by: plearmagalfax
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

So what does Unconditional Love really mean? Cause when people try to explain it to me, it sounds a whole lot like being courteous instead.

Previously known as Derchin.
10-27-2011 08:10 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

It's basically like... you love someone, and you love 'em no matter what, no matter how they change or what they do, you still love them the same. Like, it's not dependant on anything they do/say/are/look like/whatever. It's just there... for no apparent reason. Which of course makes no logical sense, I mean, there has to be a reason, right? ... that's where it starts to mess with my brain. Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-27-2011 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(10-27-2011 04:50 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  

Uh yes it does. It keeps people alive. You love someone you want to protect them. The longer they live the more chance there will be offspring. It is logical. Just not how it plays out all the time lol Though I agree with you about unconditional love for the most part. Love can be very powerful though.

No, that's just you. I don't want offspring. Not any time within the next decade anyway at the very least.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
10-27-2011 01:59 PM
Fanatic

(10-27-2011 01:59 PM)|55555| Wrote:  
(10-27-2011 04:50 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  

No, that's just you. I don't want offspring. Not any time within the next decade anyway at the very least.

No it isn't just me. I also never said it has to do with YOU wanting offspring. It just keeps people alive so they CAN have offspring at some point.

Live until you die
10-27-2011 02:50 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Shippony, you just managed to ruin the concept of unconditional love. Congrats. Laugh

Hidden stuff:
10-27-2011 03:04 PM
Fanatic

(10-27-2011 03:04 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Shippony, you just managed to ruin the concept of unconditional love. Congrats. Laugh

I feel I have unconditional love towards certain people. Besides... look at the awesome feelings evolution has created for us. To help keep us going. Pretty amazing to me.

Live until you die
10-27-2011 03:05 PM
 Thanks given by: plearmagalfax
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Love

Split to Random Crap.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
10-28-2011 03:00 AM
DUBAS Offline
Pseudonymously Perspicacious Cherub

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Friendship is love minus sex and plus reason. Love is friendship plus sex and minus reason.

-Mason Cooley

[Image: pjprop.gif]

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
11-10-2011 06:44 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(11-10-2011 06:44 AM)DUBAS Wrote:  Friendship is love minus sex and plus reason. Love is friendship plus sex and minus reason.

-Mason Cooley

The reason why couples get divorced all the time is because nowadays love is exactly that. If possible I want to find a combination sex AND reason.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
11-10-2011 12:07 PM
nuttyz68 Offline
Defiant

If you have unconditional love for someone you will do anything for them and will ignore everything else but them. Love is great if you have found it but envious if others do and you don't.
03-31-2012 01:58 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Ignoring everything else isn't a good idea though. That can turn into obsession and that can actually screw up the unconditional love because it makes you clingy and needy. So you need to prevent that from happening. Razz

Hidden stuff:
03-31-2012 03:39 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Love

Love is like fire,there's a 1% percent chance you won't get burned.Love is like water,it heals sometimes,and it hurts sometimes.Love is like air,you expect it will pass you bye,but you know it won't.Finally,love is like Earth,it's impossible to fight.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
09-24-2012 09:43 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Love

^ That sounds pretty deep...and copypasted.

I think I've already found a definition to love. Read 1 Corinthians 13.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-24-2012 10:04 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

(09-24-2012 09:43 AM)YoungestAnarchist Wrote:  love is like Earth,it's impossible to fight.

It is entirely possible to fight the Earth considering Earth can be classified as just dirt, and you can punch dirt and it won't fight back, it's also not impossible to fight the movement of Earth because people have been effectively doing that with their houses for a few years now.

Who else loves to point out flaws in "meaningful" quotes?

I personally have only met 1 person in the last 3 years of my life that I actually fell in love with, had a few girlfriends though, and the only reason I'm not allowed to see her anymore is because I made a dumb joke related to her using the Razz smiley on FB one time and her dad made her delete her FB, email, and either change her number or they just blocked me, possibly both though, and she got in touch with me recently and told me she did some crazy stuff this summer and got in trouble a lot, but I haven't been able to get in touch with her since. So yeah, in conclusion, I think it is extremely rare (even rarer than finding an emerald in Minecraft while using a 1.2.5 map) to find someone that you feel an unconditional love for.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
09-24-2012 10:38 AM
Deez_Nutz_In_Ya_Mouth_69 Offline
Defiant

Love

In my opinion, love is great. Love can lift your spirit when you're down. Love is something I haven't found quite yet, but I'm sure as hell ready. Love doesn't have to be all mushy gushy. It can just be a great friendship in which two or more people care and respect each other. But we all have to remember: Love can fuck you up badly if you let it completely take you over...
09-27-2012 04:05 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(09-27-2012 04:05 AM)Deez_Nutz_In_Ya_Mouth_69 Wrote:  In my opinion, love is great. Love can lift your spirit when you're down. Love is something I haven't found quite yet, but I'm sure as hell ready. Love doesn't have to be all mushy gushy. It can just be a great friendship in which two or more people care and respect each other. But we all have to remember: Love can fuck you up badly if you let it completely take you over...

For a screen name and signature, I didn't expect well written post like this one.

Previously known as Derchin.
09-29-2012 12:59 PM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Love

Yes,everyone should feel loved.Not feeling loved is one of the leading causes of suicide.We might be able to fix it by stopping schools from making young love less natural.Something might work.As long as divorces stop happening.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
09-29-2012 10:42 PM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Love

I just figured out my crush is most likely on the same street. Talk about possibly slight plot twist if I get off all these forums and reddit.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
09-30-2012 01:43 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(09-29-2012 10:42 PM)MentalAnarchist Wrote:  Yes,everyone should feel loved.Not feeling loved is one of the leading causes of suicide.We might be able to fix it by stopping schools from making young love less natural.Something might work.As long as divorces stop happening.

The first part is definately correct. I was trying to kill myself when my dad died and I was stuck with that crazy lady because she doesnt love me, she hated me. But now I have a guinea pig who loves me. I dont think people nees relationships with other people nessicarily, I think animals are much better, they never yell at you, hit you, make you go to hell (aka school), ect. And animals are much more fun!
09-30-2012 12:55 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Love

Isn't that what a dog is for? I had a hampster but it died around this week.
Shrug

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
09-30-2012 11:32 PM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Love

Love is only what is needed for animal reproduction. Affection is just what is needed to fall in love in order to keep the species from being extinct. Love isn't exactly necessary, and is simply a way evolution works as animals evolve into reproducing themselves like us mammals so that we won't end up like dinosaurs. Love is useless and all you need is sperms and other reproduction materials to reproduce therefore there is no need for sex. Love is just a way to keep people happy about themselves that they're worth something when they're not. Love is just another useless aspect in life that is often misused and with growing technology we won't need love by the time Obama's second term is over. You don't need love unless you need constant self confidence in yourself that you can't produce by yourself and stop you from killing yourself to the point your species is extinct. Without love the only loss is your human ignorance of feeling important.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
11-11-2012 01:49 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(11-11-2012 01:49 AM)AmericanAtheistAnarchist Wrote:  Love is only what is needed for animal reproduction. Affection is just what is needed to fall in love in order to keep the species from being extinct. Love isn't exactly necessary, and is simply a way evolution works as animals evolve into reproducing themselves like us mammals so that we won't end up like dinosaurs. Love is useless and all you need is sperms and other reproduction materials to reproduce therefore there is no need for sex. Love is just a way to keep people happy about themselves that they're worth something when they're not. Love is just another useless aspect in life that is often misused and with growing technology we won't need love by the time Obama's second term is over. You don't need love unless you need constant self confidence in yourself that you can't produce by yourself and stop you from killing yourself to the point your species is extinct. Without love the only loss is your human ignorance of feeling important.
Why do I get the impression that you're chick repellent?

Love is a virtue, not a vice. It is the cornerstone of positive human contact, the deterrent to many a moral crime.

11-11-2012 07:31 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Love

Love to me is just a natural instinct of animals in human nature, also chicks are yolk in eggs.

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
11-11-2012 12:46 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(11-11-2012 12:46 PM)AmericanAtheistAnarchist Wrote:  Love to me is just a natural instinct of animals in human nature, also chicks are yolk in eggs.
I think you're confusing love and sex drive, and suspect that you lack in both of them.

11-11-2012 12:51 PM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(09-30-2012 11:32 PM)AmericanAtheistAnarchist Wrote:  Isn't that what a dog is for? I had a hampster but it died around this week.
Shrug
Goodbye hamster, rip.
11-11-2012 01:18 PM
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Love

I don't know, these days everything related to each other to people is basically the same thing which is what makes us sound so ignorant at times. No word in the English language means the exact same thing people!

-Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin
11-13-2012 09:14 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(11-13-2012 09:14 AM)AmericanAtheistAnarchist Wrote:  I don't know, these days everything related to each other to people is basically the same thing which is what makes us sound so ignorant at times. No word in the English language means the exact same thing people!
Seriously? Love =/= sex drive.

According to 1 Corinthians 13:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Sex drive is just the desire to have sex (or, in your case, masturbate). As you can see, very different things.

11-13-2012 09:39 AM