RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents face court for removing kids from gay history lesson
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
Parents face court for removing kids from gay history lesson

I originally posted this in the news section on the main site, but we all know nobody actually checks that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ssons.html

Quote:Parents face possible court action for withdrawing their children from lessons on gay and lesbian history.

More than 30 pupils were pulled out of a week of teaching at a primary school which included books about homosexual partnerships.

The controversial content was worked into the curriculum at George Tomlinson School in Waltham Forest, East London.

The council has declared that children who missed the lessons will be viewed as truants.

The ruling means some families could breach rules that children should not be absent for more than 19 days a year.

Sanctions include spot fines, parenting contracts and ultimately court action.

The parents, who objected to the lessons on moral and religious grounds, said the content was more appropriate to secondary age pupils.

Pervez Latif, whose children Saleh, ten, and Abdur-Rahim, nine, attend the school, said he knew of up to 30 withdrawals from the lessons.

The 41-year-old accountant said Christian and Muslim parents had objected to the theme linked to Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender History Month.
‘We as parents did not receive any guidance that this was going to happen,’ he added. ‘There was just a newsletter mentioning the week and that certain themes would be taught.

‘I didn’t want my children to be learning about this. I wrote a letter to the chairman of the governors explaining that I would be taking my children out of school and he wrote back saying that there was no other option.

‘If I am faced with court action, then I will just explain that these are my views. It was also very difficult explaining to my nine- and ten-year-old boys why they were being removed from school.
‘I found it difficult to explain topics such as homosexual relationships at such a young age.’

One story covered in a lesson was King and King, a fairytale about a prince who turns down three princesses before falling in love with one of their brothers.
Another book, And Tango Makes Three, features two male penguins, Roy and Silo, who fall in love at a New York zoo.

Sarah Saeed, 40, took her eight-year-old daughter out of school during the week.

She said: ‘It is not an appropriate age for the children to be learning such matters. We have our own way of explaining things to them and they should not be subjected to this.

‘I was aware they were going to be learning about homosexual relationships through stories.
‘If the council takes action against me I will tell them that I told the school beforehand I would be taking my child away if they did not change their policy.

‘She has a 100 per cent attendance record otherwise. This is the only time and this is the only choice I had.’

Parents have a legal right to withdraw their children from religious education and sex education lessons – apart from science lessons which cover biological reproduction as part of the national curriculum.
A spokesman for Waltham Forest Council said: ‘As part of the borough’s policy of promoting tolerance in our schools, children are taught that everyone in our society is of equal value.

‘At George Tomlinson, parents were invited to meet with teachers and governors several weeks ago to discuss what work would
be taking place throughout the national LGBT History Month and how this work would be delivered.
‘Regrettably, some parents chose to remove their children from school.

‘The council does not condone any unauthorised absence from school and action has been taken.’
Norman Wells, director of the Family Education Trust, said: ‘It is a fundamental principle of education law that children must be educated in accordance with the wishes of their parents.

'It is outrageous for a school or local authority to think it can ride roughshod over parents and impose lessons upon children that arouse such widespread concerns.

‘The only action that needs to be taken is to offer an apology to the parents concerned.’

George Tomlinson is close to a school which launched a gay version of Romeo and Juliet called Romeo and Julian – also to mark the alternative history month.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
03-09-2009 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
Re: Parents face court for removing kids from gay history lesson

Although I'm very for gay rights, people should not be forced against their will to accept it.

Although I also no-no the parents for not allowing their children to see differing viewpoints in this world.

woah dude
dude woah
03-09-2009 10:04 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)
Re: Parents face court for removing kids from gay history lesson

This is sadly hilarious.

First off, it's not wrong to be gay, or learn about being gay, even if you're a "minor". After all, sheltered children often turn out worse than their educated counterparts.

Second, if a parent pulls his or her kid out of class, even for something as trivial as gay material in the reading, it absolutely should NOT be counted as truancy. That's either a machine's fault, or that school really hates it's prisoners.
03-09-2009 10:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A girl swore at me for just going to my lesson Marlena403 12 8,874 06-15-2017 09:42 AM
Last Post: Gwedin
  Horrible English lesson and teacher Marlena403 2 2,564 11-12-2016 08:48 AM
Last Post: Sadly_Not
Wink Worst lesson ever rhyspatten 1 2,410 04-18-2016 09:31 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Anyone want some lesson plans? SoulRiser 2 6,382 09-16-2015 11:39 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Gatto's "Greatest History Lesson" Brus 0 1,856 09-02-2014 09:20 AM
Last Post: Brus
  Might Be Going to Court For the First Time :| GamerGurl 39 15,356 01-05-2013 07:04 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Ever had a court date? Guest 53 14,525 10-22-2010 01:11 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Kids at my school, parents, other stuff. happy fool called Nigel 10 2,967 12-10-2007 04:13 PM
Last Post: happy fool called Nigel
  Sent to the office for not removing hood payback123 20 5,755 08-27-2007 03:40 PM
Last Post: Specter