RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a C+ really so terrible?
Dreamer567 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Is a C+ really so terrible?

Yet another annoyed kid just letting off some steam. I just got my report card today and I got 4 As, 2 Bs, and a C+. I'm pretty happy that my grades are good so I don't have to deal with them. I expect my parents to be happy just the same but NO a C+ in Algebra II isn't good enough for them. They totally disregard my other grades and focus on how "terrible" I did in math when they know it's never been my strong suit. I worked my ass off in that class and was pretty happy that I got such a grade but they just keep yelling at me about how they don't spend so much money on school (jewish private school ugh) for me to get a C, totally shooting down my confidence and contentment. What is wrong with a C+?? They tell me I shouldn't settle for "average" when it comes to school which pulls me even deeper into anger and guilt. Not even a "nice job in your other classes though", just a "don't expect to go to college or have a future if you don't work harder!". Something so insignificant putting me through so much stress can't be healthy. I ust wish they would accept this one tiny fault. This grade doesnt even show up on college transcripts anyway, it's averaged in with my next quarter's grade. UGH I can't wait to get out of school! heh thank you to everyone who took the time to read this extremely long rant. :-)

www.screamfreedom.webs.com Check it out
03-21-2009 06:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Is a C+ really so terrible?

A C+ is I guess one point away from a B-. Your parents probably saw the C and that's what made them angry, when in actuality that's a pretty good grade.

Shit, I wish I could've gotten a C+ in Algebra II.
03-21-2009 06:50 AM
Dreamer567 Offline
Rebel

I got a 79.8% .2 freakin points away from a B and my parents still see the C T.T

www.screamfreedom.webs.com Check it out
03-21-2009 07:05 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I get my report card this weekend, and I think I'm going to shock my parents. I usually get straight A's or A's and B's, but I got a C in (at least) my Alg. 2 class, so I think they're going to be like, WTF?
THAT'S why I want to quit school, I'm sick of being judged, good or bad, by my grades. When I'm judged negatively by them, I feel like a crappy person, and when I'm judged good by them, I feel like a phony, because all it takes is following directions, it's nothing to feel BETTER than OTHERS for.
I mean, be proud of good grades sure. you've learned how to BS the system and beat them at their own game. But I used to feel superior because of them, and that SUCKED just as much as getting straight C's would have.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
03-21-2009 07:18 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

tch tch tch.

Grades aren't really important. They need to reminded of that important factor- that your grades don't define your place in life. Only YOU do.
03-21-2009 07:19 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

79.8% is a C? Since when? That's always been a B here. WTF, that's damn good. Your parents are Cuckoo

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-21-2009 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:79.8% is a C? Since when? That's always been a B here. WTF, that's damn good. Your parents are Cuckoo
An 84 is a C here. And yeah, his parents are crazy.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
03-21-2009 07:52 AM
MM Offline
Fanatic

My high school had a extremely strict grading system.

100-93 A
92-85 B
84-77 C
76-69 D
69-0 F
03-21-2009 07:53 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Heh, 69...

Anyway, congratulations on the C+

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
03-21-2009 08:55 AM
Fanatic

We don't have a D here, so it goes:

A- 100 - 90
B- 89 - 80
C- 79 - 70
F- 69 - 0
03-21-2009 10:47 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

All that "no D, skip directly to F do not pass Go or collect 200" CRAP is just that-CRAP.
"Excellence through shame!" Yuck

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
03-21-2009 11:10 AM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:We don't have a D here, so it goes:

A- 100 - 90
B- 89 - 80
C- 79 - 70
F- 69 - 0

Do ho ho, don'tcha love American stupidity?

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
03-21-2009 12:24 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I would be quite happt with a C+

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
03-21-2009 11:53 PM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

No letter grades here.

100 to 61 - pass
60 to 0 - fail

The only good signature is a dead signature.
03-22-2009 12:53 AM
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I have the strictest of you all lolololololol.

A- 100-94
B- 93-86
C- 85-76
D- 75-70
F- 69-0
03-22-2009 03:48 AM
MM Offline
Fanatic

MY SKOOL HAD DIS STRICT

F- 100-0
03-22-2009 03:51 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

lol.

I find it really weird that schools redefine the A-F scale so much. WTF? It's like they really want to change people's perceptions of grades, even good grades.

I'm guessing they just want less people to get A's and B's to artificially inflate their so-called "value".

In South Africa, so many people were failing that they set the percentage required to pass to 40%. So, get above 40% and you pass. But they didn't mess with the other letters, they only changed where the F is.

And the most amusing part of all of this is that none of this shit has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with real learning. Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-22-2009 09:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

SoulRiser Wrote:And the most amusing part of all of this is that none of this shit has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with real learning. Laugh

Precisely.
the 'standards' are CRAP, so lowering or raising them makes no different.

Live for Learning.

03-22-2009 11:16 AM
jamieson Offline
Defiant

its not really horrible..
but if your parent saw your grade for sure they will scold you..!
C+ is pass grade but in line of 70...!
dont worry its not marked red in your grade slip.. ! Biggrin

flags and banners
03-26-2009 09:48 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

Grades here. (And I do mean HERE, i'm posting from school.)

A- 100-91
B- 90-81
C- 81-71
D- 70-61
F- 60-0

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
03-26-2009 10:28 PM
JoshuaTheJew Offline
Rebel

Heres how good my Math teacher is at her job. I have a realy trouble with math. It just does not stick in my head. I've been going in early every morning and staying as many afternoons as I can, but none of that helped. I consistently got straight Fs on my tests and anything above a 65 was considered a great achievement to me. Finally, I asked my stepdad for help
(he works alot, so hes not available to help me very often). A 30 minute session with him, and I got a 94 on my next test. Since then, I make sure I get help from him every night. I spend a freaking 2 hours a day with that teacher, but a 30 minutes session at 11:30 P.M. with a stepdad who hasn't done this math in 20 years, and I make a 94. Tell you something about my teacher?

Quote:LISTEN PPL I GOE 2 SKOOL I GET EDACATUN I LERN THINGZ N THEIR AINT NUTTIN RONG WIT GOEN 2 SKOOL. I GO 2 SKOOL DEN 2 COLLEGE TO GET GR8 JOB MAYBE EVEN BECOME GOOD LAWYER. SO U GUISE NEED 2 QUIT TRYIN 2 GET PPL TO STAY OUT OF SKOOL. SKOOL IS KEWL PPLZ.

That right there, is the true meaning of, Epic Fail.
03-29-2009 06:14 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

While C is theoretically average, grade inflation has made it seem like phail. You probably are below average in math compared to the rest of your grade (by some sort of vaguely quantifiable measure), and passing the threshold to C+ does identify that your math grade is relatively low and that your chances at getting into a math program may decrease compared to straight As if you don't work harder.

I'm sure you already agree that none of that matters. Like other parents, yours are insecure regarding your grades and are thus treating you horrendously for no good reason. (That said, I can't think of any good reason to treat someone like that.) Your parents will probably tell you to work harder, but you're probably working way too hard already; if you're finding the material difficult to learn, it's just because your school phails at teaching you. You're not going to, but it's even okay if you fail math entirely.
Your parents are making you feel guilty and stupid and like major phail, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with you. Sadhug
03-29-2009 07:03 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Thr schools here are so bad, actually, that a C (Well, 71 to 80, whatever you define it as) is considered above average. It is not uncommon for more then half the class to fail.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
03-29-2009 08:43 AM
Fanatic

Fire Elf Wrote:Thr schools here are so bad, actually, that a C (Well, 71 to 80, whatever you define it as) is considered above average. It is not uncommon for more then half the class to fail.

In redneck-ville, it's not uncommon for two-thirds, or even five-sixths of a class fail, and the administration will actually come in and scream at the classes for it.
03-29-2009 11:30 AM
TG Link Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

A- 100-91
B- 90-81
C- 81-71
F- 70-0

No D's here. They eliminated them >_>

[Image: Linksig.jpg]
Visit Tactical Gaming, a worldwide gaming clan.
03-29-2009 02:22 PM
bluemeltedwhisper Offline
Defiant

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:
Fire Elf Wrote:Thr schools here are so bad, actually, that a C (Well, 71 to 80, whatever you define it as) is considered above average. It is not uncommon for more then half the class to fail.

In redneck-ville, it's not uncommon for two-thirds, or even five-sixths of a class fail, and the administration will actually come in and scream at the classes for it.
you mean the teachers there don't give out the questions/answers before they give the exams?
and they don't curve the scores so everyone gets a C?
03-30-2009 01:54 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Dreamer567 Wrote:I got a 79.8% .2 freakin points away from a B and my parents still see the C T.T

Really? It rounds up to a "B" When It gets that close, at least for my school.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
03-30-2009 06:42 AM
Shadow of Sorrow Offline
Defiant

Your parents should be happy with a C because a C supposed to be average and what people try to get. That means if you got a C+, which is above a C that is great, especially if math isn't your greatest subject. Just try to explain that to your parents and if they don't listen, don't worry about because grades really don't matter.

Shadow of Sorrow
03-30-2009 11:23 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

TG Link Wrote:A- 100-91
B- 90-81
C- 81-71
F- 70-0

No D's here. They eliminated them >_>

theres a school like that here. they say its cause a D isnt really passing anyways.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
03-30-2009 12:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Terrible Freaking Teacher Zapkido 11 8,090 12-16-2013 04:18 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  terrible thread do not click aaaaaaasd 41 6,377 06-22-2011 10:48 PM
Last Post: Efs
  I'm terrible with women. Efs 12 3,961 09-18-2010 09:32 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Mother of God School Teachers Are Terrible! tock172 12 4,916 09-06-2007 07:20 AM
Last Post: Darthmat