RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did people first hear about God?
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
Re: When did people first hear about God?

Eidolon Wrote:1: You've probably met quite a few Christians who weren't bigots. It's possible that you didn't even know they were Christian.

2: Or do you ask the religion of everyone you meet?
2: It's quite unsavory to do something such as that.

1: And yes, I know that the question is directed to BMP, but really, you've got to learn, not all Christians are bigots. My parents are Christians and they support gay rights. They believe in evolution, etc.

Get out of your hole, BMP.

woah dude
dude woah
03-29-2009 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I live in the deep fucking south and I've met plenty of people that don't mind atheists.
I mean, a great deal of the ones I've talked about religion with are outright insufferable because they have that idea that atheists have never read the bible and that they would convert if they did, or ones who make up lies about what it says or about history, or use circular logic, or start outright preaching, etc.

But I've met plenty of Christians that don't really give a shit about any other peoples religion and are content to let others have their own beliefs.
Hell, only a handful of people have asked god to strike me down for blasphemy, and only one person has damned me to hell for not being Christian.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
03-29-2009 09:27 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

If they're tolerant, they're not really Christians. Their Bible commands them to be intolerant, and by being tolerant, they're essentially disobeying the Bible, and therefore, aren't very Christian. They only think they're Christians because they believe in some mystical giant and go to church every Sunday.
03-30-2009 02:33 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

You forget that almost everyone of every religion with guidelines cherry picks their beliefs.
In fact, they have to because religious books tend to contradict themselves because they were usually written a little bit at a time over decades or even centuries.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
03-30-2009 02:39 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

Zherneboh Wrote:because they were usually written a little bit at a time over decades or even centuries.
And of course, the guy who wrote the next part forgot to read the past manuscript...

woah dude
dude woah
03-30-2009 02:48 AM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Newtown Wrote:. My parents are Christians and they support gay rights. They believe in evolution, etc.

Thats something Christians hate. you Have to be 100 % Christian or nothing at all. To be a "true Christian".

Gay rights are against the Bible.

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
03-30-2009 06:31 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

my church calls them caferteria catholics. cause they pick what they want to believe. but yea whatever

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
03-30-2009 07:44 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

There are a lot of different forms of Christianity. Are you really saying that only the intolerant branches are true believers? Not being Christian yourselves, I find that remarkably stupid.

There's more that I want to say, but articulating my thoughts into words is difficult. >[

I'll just say this:

Your narrow and twisted view of Christianity disgusts me. Good day. *monocle*
03-30-2009 12:53 PM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:There are a lot of different forms of Christianity. Are you really saying that only the intolerant branches are true believers?

Well look at it this way, Lutherans are intolerant of Protestants, Jehovas whitnesses and Mormons. Even if they all are Christian.

The only reason there are differen't sects is because they believe the other sects are wrong. Or the founders just wanted to make some money.

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~

Mint Member
03-30-2009 01:15 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Mystery Wrote:
Eidolon Wrote:There are a lot of different forms of Christianity. Are you really saying that only the intolerant branches are true believers?

Well look at it this way, Lutherans are intolerant of Protestants, Jehovas whitnesses and Mormons. Even if they all are Christian.

The only reason there are differen't sects is because they believe the other sects are wrong. Or the founders just wanted to make some money.
Unfortunately, intolerance is not the same as disagreement.
03-30-2009 01:20 PM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Condemning a group of people to hell isn't intolerant?

Mint Member
03-30-2009 01:22 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

One can respect other people's beliefs even if one thinks they're going to Hell.
03-30-2009 01:27 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:not evrything makes sense,how does ur computer work? electricity is just like magic if u think about it
No, it isn't. If you weren't a dumbass, you probably would've known that electricity isn't magic. Even if electricity were magic, it would make more sense than your bullshit Christianity. At least magic electricity would indisputably prove that magic is real, unlike your stupid Bible that was probably written by some guy with a good imagination.
Unimaginative asshole

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
03-31-2009 01:09 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:
Wolfeh Wrote:You're oversimplifying religion. You may be partially right, but what you say still doesn't apply to all followers of religion.
It may not, but I don't care. I'm not going to look at one person specifically when it comes to a belief - I'm only going to look at what the belief has done to humanity.
Irrelevant Premises-Division

stating that what is true of the whole is true of the parts.

Fallacy.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
03-31-2009 01:15 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

It's morally WRONG, no matter what religion you are or aren't, to consider every person of a group a bad person. So please, stop with the hateful comments.

Here's how religion started.
In every society, there have been religions. Egypt had their gods and goddesses, the Middle Ages had Catholicism and Christianity.
These religions were made so that the ruling class could maintain order and have an excuse to punish wrongdoers.

Now, these religions unfortunately did this by fear. If you're bad, you go to hell after death.
PERPETUAL SUFFERING FOR NONBELIEVERS.
That was just a bid for power. Join us or die. Join us or be punished.
And people followed it.
NOW

Religion has come to be generally accepted. I don't think that, because I think it is this or that, that I can tell people to stop something that may be having a beneficial effect on their life.

NOW religion has, at its best, become ONE road towards being as good of a person that you can be.

At it's worst, it's an excuse to kill and hate and be hateful. We've all studied the effects of THAT side of religion.

In my mind, the general rule is:
EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO RELIGION, BECAUSE IT'S JUST YOUR BELIEFS. AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T INFRINGING ON OTHERS' RIGHTS OR PUSHING THEIR RELIGION ON ANYONE OR HURTING ANYBODY.
IF IT HELPS YOU FIND YOUR PERSONAL SALVATION, FINE. JUST DON'T HURT YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE, AND ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOUR 'ROAD TO SALVATION' MAY NOT BE EVERYONE'S 'ROAD TO SALVATION'.
IF IT WORKS FOR YOU AND DOESN'T HURT ANYONE, FINE.

and you DON'T need religion to be a moral, responsible, reasonable human bean.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
03-31-2009 10:44 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Mystery Wrote:

Lutherans are Protestants. Protestants are anyone who broke with the Roman Catholics during the Reformation. Lutherans disagree with Evangelicals on a couple things. Evangelicals are Protestants who are not Lutherans.

Branches of Christianity don't really have "founders", but I suppose you could call Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, and Knox "founders" even though they were just pointing back to what the Bible said. None of them gained much by it personally though... Zwingli got himself killed be the enemy. Calvin became a workaholic and never bother to take the time to enjoy what little he did have, barely had time to eat. Knox spent most of his life running from the English, and then when England finally became Protestant again no one in England liked him anymore. Luther got kidnapped by his friends before the Catholics could kill him, so he was forced to hide for a couple years, but the end of his life was good, he married an Ex-nun, Obviously if he hadn't disrupted the Pope's control of everything he never would have married and he'd be just another monk living a miserable life in the dark ages... So it worked out good for him.

Jehovas Witnesses and Mormons do not belive in the Trinity or the nature of Christ.
.: Jehovas Witnesses and Mormons are Cults, not forms of Christianity

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
04-01-2009 08:57 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

mangareadr Wrote:Here's how religion started.
In every society, there have been religions. Egypt had their gods and goddesses, the Middle Ages had Catholicism and Christianity.
These religions were made so that the ruling class could maintain order and have an excuse to punish wrongdoers.
Now, these religions unfortunately did this by fear. If you're bad, you go to hell after death.
PERPETUAL SUFFERING FOR NONBELIEVERS.
That was just a bid for power. Join us or die. Join us or be punished.
And people followed it.

How religions started.

Quote:Because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. ... For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. ... And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,

Romans 1:18-23, 25, 28

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
04-01-2009 09:14 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Yes, according to Christianity.
According to me or others may be different.
That's all I'm saying on that, you make up your own mind about what you believe.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
04-01-2009 09:27 AM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Christianity beleives you sin if you don't spread the word.

Therefore you can't be a Christian without violating people's rights.

therefore people who endorse human rights aren't real 100% Christians.

To be a Christian you have to be 100% Christian.

You guys can't call yourselves Christians.

Mint Member
04-01-2009 09:43 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Mystery Wrote:Christianity beleives you sin if you don't spread the word.
That is not at all what Christianity is about.
Mystery Wrote:Therefore you can't be a Christian without violating people's rights.
You'll have to explain this better.

I don't understand how believing someone is wrong is the same as violating their rights.

I believe that your faith (or lack thereof) is wrong. I am not stopping you from thinking that way, nor am I telling you not to. All I am doing is saying that I disagree with your views. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there don't seem to be any human rights violations there.
04-01-2009 10:04 AM
Fuckthesystem Offline
Revolutionary

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Spreading the word is fine.

It's the force feeding that pisses everyone off.

[Image: fuckthesystem.jpg]

"The seeds of oppression, will one day bear the fruit of rebellion."

-Anonymous

Also, I just realized I spelled "bear" wrong in my sig. I changed it, but, how disgraceful...

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 550073.jpg
04-01-2009 10:19 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

TrueAnarchist Wrote:not evrything makes sense,how does ur computer work? electricity is just like magic if u think about it

Electricity is turned on and off through certain circuits through the coding of 1's and 0's. This, in turn, creates patterns which tell the computer what to do.
04-06-2009 11:38 AM