RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My School Rules
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
My School Rules

Just some rules and expectations that really aggravate me. All taken from my handbook. Slightly edited:

This publicly funded school for college-bound students has many of the best characteristics often attributed to exclusive private schools:

*Very strict discipline
*School uniform
*High daily attendance (95%)
*High standards of academic performance and behavior
*Small class size (15-20)
*Individualized instruction
*100% certified, Highly Qualified teachers
*Parent and community participation and cooperation
*Safe and orderly learning environment
*For the past ten years, 100% of our seniors have graduated and been accepted to institutions of higher education!
*Nurturing enviornment that changes students' lives

Our school has made AYP for the past seven years in a row! Additionally, it has been named a Distinguished School by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for bridging the achievement gap and exceeding the federal AYP benchmarks for 2 consecutive years.

Pg. 5- Expectations and Honor Code

Because or school is a school of choice, students and their parents/guardians are expected to adhere to strictly to rules and regulations as described in the handbook.... In order for school staff to provide a safe environment conductive to learning, all students are expected to conduct themselves with dignity, respect and responsibility.

Pg. 11- Appearance and Dress Code

From the time students leave home in the morning to the time school is over, all students are required to wear a clean, pressed uniform that is in good condition...... Under no circumstances should be the school blazer, tie, or any other uniform item be left in a school locker.

Students who come to school without a complete uniform are considered to be in violation of the Appearance and Dress Code. These students will be give 2 Administrative Detentions (Hour-and-half detentions to be severed after-school on Thursday's and Fridays). I'll go more detail on ADs later on.

Pg. 12-13: Uniform Guidelines

Blazer- Taking off the blazer on the school premises without a staff member's permission is a violation of the dress code. Sleeves of the blazer should not be rolled up at anytime.

Shirt- A plain white, button-down Oxford shirt must be worn. The shirt must be tucked into the pants at all times and collars must be turned and buttoned down at all times. Sleeves of the shirt should not be rolled up at any time.

Pants- Hemmed (Not rolled up) pants must be worn at the wait, not lower on the hips, with a black belt through the loops. The hem of the pants are a violation of the dress code. Long or baggy pants are a violation of the dress code. There should not be any visible logos, tags,or pockets on the pants.

Skirt- Females may choose to wear the approved school shirt. The skirt must be worn at knee length. Skirt length must range no shorter than the top of the kneecap. to no longer than two inches below the bottom of the knee. Rolling up the skirt, whether intentional or not, is strictly forbidden and will result in 1 or more ADs and/or the student being prohibited from wearing the skirt for the skirt for the remainder of the year; instead, the student will have to wear school pants.

Ties- Males: Must wear the official school male tie, knotted properly and tied to cover the top button of the shirt. Females: Must wear the official school bow-tie adjusted to cover the top button of the shirt

Shoes and Socks- School shoes must be solid black with no logos or tags.
Males: Solid blue or black socks must be worn
Females: Solid (Not sheer blue or black) knee high trouser socks or stockings must be worn.
During winter months, boots may be worn to school but be removed and placed in the student's locket upon to the school building. Boots and/or hi-tops are not be allows to be worn at any other time.

Hair and Nails- Hair should be neatly groomed. No hats will be permitted in the school building during the school day. Long, colorful natural or fake fingernails are not permitted. Only clear or "Cotton Candy" nail polish is allowed. Only moderate, natural appearing make-up is permitted while in uniform.

Earrings and Accessories- Only post earrings, no larger than a dime, are allowed. One per ear. All other visible piercing are forbidden. Excessive jewelry or bracelets are not permitted.

Sweaters- A solid navy, blue, black, or white V-neck or cardigan sweater, may be worn under the school blazer. Hooded sweatshirts are strictly forbidden in the school after 7:54 AM

Polo Shirts- From May 1st to October31st, school polo shirts may be worn instead of the blazer, tie, and dress shirt. The rest of the uniform will remain the same. The polo shirt must be tucked into school pants or shirt. Nothing should be worn over the shirt and undergarments should not protrude from the shirt's sleeves. No jacket, sweater, coat or similar outfitting should be worn over the polo shirt during the school day. Wearing the polo shirt is a privilege, not a right. Violation of the Polo Shirt Policy will deprive the student of this privilege. Student on Probationary Contract (Explain later in another post, hopefully) will not be able to wear the polo shirt.

Attendance

Pg. 14,18, and 20- Regular attendance and punctuality are mandatory. All students must wait outside in a neat and orderly line no later than 7:40 AM, to be checked in for school unless instructed otherwise. After students are checked in, they are permitted to access their lockers and/or to see staff member if need be. At 7:50 AM, a warning bell will sound, at which time all students will be required to head directly to their A period classes and be seated and quiet before the second bell, at 7:55 AM. A student who arrives to A period after the 7:55 bell without a hall pass or an office late pass will be written up by the teacher and will receive 1 AD (What the hell are ADs?!?)

Every-time a student is absent, he/she must present a written note from his or her parent/guardian to the school office on the day of the student's return. Its the students responsibility to obtain all missing assignments upon his or her return to obtain all missing assignments upon his or her return to school and to complete them within the time frame established by each teacher. If a student has a combination of 25 or more absences and latenesses, which results in missing the first period. he/she will automatically fail the first period subject.

Grading System

Pg. 24

A (94-100) Superior
B(86-93) Good
C (80-85) Satisfactory
D (75-79) Below Average
F (0-74) Has failed to meet the minimum requirements of the course or has received and Administrative Failure due to excesive absences or latenesess.

Previously known as Derchin.
09-11-2011 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)
Re: My School Rules

I got a double-meaning from the title and thought you were saying how your school is awesome.

Anyway, that's a fucked up place you go to. It truly amazes me how much people care about appearances. I mean, a military having a uniform is understandable, but some schools go too far: "Wearing the polo shirt is a privilege, not a right." Really? Really?

"Violation of the Polo Shirt Policy will deprive the student of this privilege. Student on Probationary Contract (Explain later in another post, hopefully) will not be able to wear the polo shirt."

Polo shirts are srs...

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
09-11-2011 01:43 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

You're going there?... just... try to do everything you can not to O_o it sounds fucking insane.

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-11-2011 02:18 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Lux Wrote:I got a double-meaning from the title and thought you were saying how your school is awesome.

Anyway, that's a fucked up place you go to. It truly amazes me how much people care about appearances. I mean, a military having a uniform is understandable, but some schools go too far: "Wearing the polo shirt is a privilege, not a right." Really? Really?

"Violation of the Polo Shirt Policy will deprive the student of this privilege. Student on Probationary Contract (Explain later in another post, hopefully) will not be able to wear the polo shirt."

Polo shirts are srs...

I hardly get in trouble there cause I don't do anything. You have to act like a stiff there to get by.

09-11-2011 11:15 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Quote:has many of the best characteristics often attributed to exclusive private schools

LOL They think they are special. Let troubled kids from the ghetto in and your discipline and "honor" code will go right out the window.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
09-12-2011 04:03 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:
Quote:has many of the best characteristics often attributed to exclusive private schools

LOL They think they are special. Let troubled kids from the ghetto in and your discipline and "honor" code will go right out the window.
They have and most have been expelled 2 months later.

09-12-2011 04:13 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Derchin Wrote:
UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

They have and most have been expelled 2 months later.

There you go.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
09-12-2011 11:15 AM
RaiserZero Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Holy shit, your school is almost the exact opposite of freedom of expression.
Cannot wear this that size, that and those and bla bla bla.
They seriously want everyone to be the same.
Honestly, it freaks me out a little bit ..

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
09-12-2011 02:38 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

You actually get used to it after awhile.

09-13-2011 12:31 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

JESUS

Well at least you're not suffering?... that's... good to know...

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-13-2011 01:01 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Derchin Wrote:You actually get used to it after awhile.
Like the way a horse gets used to being whipped.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
09-13-2011 03:39 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

wtf double post...

09-13-2011 03:40 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Lux Wrote:

Derchin Wrote:I hardly get in trouble there cause I don't do anything. You have to act like a stiff there to get by.

09-14-2011 06:49 AM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Derchin Wrote:
Lux Wrote:

Derchin Wrote:I hardly get in trouble there cause I don't do anything. You have to act like a stiff there to get by.
I apologize. I forgot to mention that I consider being forced to "act like a stiff" akin to being mentally whipped. It's just easier for some people I guess... Rolleyes

09-15-2011 05:07 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Is this Stuyvesant High School?
09-15-2011 05:30 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Ayliana Wrote:Is this Stuyvesant High School?
Nope

09-15-2011 06:31 AM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Derchin Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:Is this Stuyvesant High School?
Nope
I find it fitting how their site is so plain and boring. Some schools should pay Absent to work on their layout 'cause even the EFO site looks better.

09-15-2011 08:53 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Forgot to mention that you have to use this small wooden block to use the bathrooms at lunchtime even though they're five feet away. Only three people per bathroom (Sucks). Its so something like a fight never happens apparently.

09-15-2011 09:00 AM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

http://www.macs.k12.pa.us/MACS_Success.pdf

"While teaching at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during the 1970s, I became aware of an unusually high rate of failures and dropouts among high school youth in the Philadelphia public schools... The experience of working with youth from these groups at the IAC as well as in a public school setting convinced me that the continued negative trend of youth failure could be reversed. Besides my genuine interest in saving these young lives..."

Somebody get these people to save mah life.

09-15-2011 09:16 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Is anyone elses grades scale like ours?

09-18-2011 12:04 PM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Derchin Wrote:Is anyone elses grades scale like ours?
Ours:

100: A+
92-99: A
82-91: B
72-81:C
68-71Biggrin
67 or Below: F

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
09-18-2011 11:53 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

2, one and a half hour detentions for dress code WTF!

Also since when has 74%=F?

In my ("public") school, the highest F is 59%.
09-21-2011 03:28 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

fish20 Wrote:2, one and a half hour detentions for dress code WTF!

Also since when has 74%=F?

In my ("public") school, the highest F is 59%.

Its so that we can "work harder to succeed" if the stakes are higher.

09-22-2011 07:58 AM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
RE: My School Rules

I wonder what psychological problems they're causing.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
09-28-2011 10:46 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(09-28-2011 10:46 AM)Blobthe15 Wrote:  I wonder what psychological problems they're causing.

I go in there and leave out almost everyday angry or pissed off.

09-29-2011 07:50 AM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

You're stuck in a bad place when wearing a purple belt is considered rebelling.

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
09-30-2011 06:08 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

After goofing off and talking a little when college representatives came to our school, the prinicple had enough apparently.

Today he came in our second period class telling us how dissapointed he was in us. "He was never given an oppurtunity like this" or so he said.

If we were to either talk, sleep, goof off, or look "uninterested", we will be sitting in his office doing educational work, and most likely fail the course. We may even fail English 4 because the courses are nearly interdisplinary.

Wow. All I can say...

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2011 10:51 AM by Miller0700.)
09-30-2011 07:45 AM
UltraRobot Offline
I need you to escape.

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

They can punish you for "looking uninterested"? What a bunch of butthurt morons. And your school's principal seems to be a goddamn douchebag.

[Image: gPE89.gif]

[Image: DeusExTestSign.jpg]

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein

"Within a few years a simple and inexpensive device, readily carried about, will enable one to receive on land or sea the principal news, to hear a speech, a lecture, a song or play of a musical instrument, conveyed from any other region of the globe." - Nikola Tesla
09-30-2011 10:41 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

(09-30-2011 10:41 AM)UltraRobot Wrote:  They can punish you for "looking uninterested"? What a bunch of butthurt morons.

It crazy because we haven't been punished for talking after that speech.
(09-18-2011 11:53 PM)Phrozen_Soul Wrote:  
Derchin Wrote:Is anyone elses grades scale like ours?
Ours:

100: A+
92-99: A
82-91: B
72-81:C
68-71Biggrin
67 or Below: F

I wish ours was like that. Me and countless others would pass stuff more often.
No lie.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 08:20 AM by Miller0700.)
10-11-2011 08:01 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Our teachers aren't as bad as yours, but they're getting tweaked. The principle is threatening to bump the F up to 70, assigned seats up the whazoo, and silence in lunch and in the buses.

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
10-15-2011 03:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information 50 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School Miller0700 40 34,265 05-28-2017 12:44 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  i dislike school rules GinJen 16 8,812 05-28-2017 12:41 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  My school and its stupid rules Luizao876 5 5,869 02-25-2017 02:57 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  5 Foreign School Rules Way Better Than The American Version Miller0700 1 2,364 09-16-2016 02:52 AM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  School rules should also apply to teachers KFC Nyan Cat 14 7,105 12-06-2014 09:55 AM
Last Post: KFC Nyan Cat
  My school's idiotic rules .Manicrose. 5 4,362 04-27-2012 01:04 AM
Last Post: Luizao876
  queer school rules Mondasin 37 18,505 01-11-2012 05:23 AM
Last Post: aCol
  Stupidest School Rules Thread Sick Silent 22 7,419 02-08-2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Jen
  crappy rules at your school Michio-kun 62 12,406 12-26-2008 09:09 AM
Last Post: i-am-the-liquor
  Retarded school rules Milk2Go 31 9,058 02-17-2008 09:04 AM
Last Post: Cory