RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Does everyone have hope?
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Hope

So this is inspired by a rather personal relationship problem. My friend and I have both been through a lot the past few years and we both struggle with depression and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. We support each other and all that yackity yack. But there's something very different about us. I'm a firm believer that everyone has hope whether or not they feel or think they do. My friend believes that hope is relative and that while some people have hope and hold a certain responsibility to hang on to that hope, others (including himself) are simply hopeless.

We're talking about depression, trust in others, and recovery.

Is hope relative or does everyone have hope whether they choose to acknowledge it or not?

Let's do the time warp again!
10-26-2006 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

There's always some situation. ....usually ending in suicide. Uhoh

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-26-2006 03:56 PM
Demonic Pyro Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Everyone has hope, and if they don't have hope, then they are dead.
Not to be mean about it, but if you don't have hope then you'd most likely try suicide or something... Hope is what gets people through the day and wanting to get to the next. And even then if you don't want to get to the next day, you'd have to have like -100% hope in order to do something like suicide. I truly believe tomorrow is a new day and a lot can change, there is always something new you can do to change everything.

FACT: 3/4 or the people that jumped off a building and survived realized about half way down, all their problems in life where fixable.

:-P
That is all.
10-26-2006 10:47 PM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

This is a very hard question, one I've pondered many, many times in the last 15 or so years. Here's the conclusion I've come to. Take it for what it's worth.

Hope exists so long as each one of us has time left to live. Last Thanksgiving, I was feeling melancholy. I was... I don't know... maybe a little adrift in mind and spirit. When I feel that way, I listen to a lot of dark, gothy music. Yeah, yeah, I know. Sooo emo of me. Anyway, I wrote something then that I sort of rememebered and went back and found.

Here it is, for what it's worth:

Quote:I’ve believed for some time that I will die young. I just keep revising the meaning of “young” periodically as I continue to survive. I also worry for the world, for my daughter, for the future. I’ve been wondering, today, on Thanksgiving, as an atheist, as a punk, as a cultural and historical critic, as… a whole bunch of things not known for their gratitude, why I celebrate Thanksgiving when I feel this way. I love holidays, birthdays, and the like, but one that passes seems like one more step toward the end: For me, for the world. That sounds awfully depressing, but that is true only if you greet doom with surrender. I do not.

But I can’t help but think that my parents’ generation, riding the coattails of the “Greatest Generation” comprised by my grandparents, have left us in a game that is unwinnable. I grew up under the threat of nuclear war and rumors of environmental disaster. I grew to the age of majority in the Reagan years. Kids today grow up with the threat of so-called terrorism (stupid, messy term) and the emergence of a frightening ecological juggernaut headed their way. They grew up in the Bush years and the Clinton years. My parents grew up believing that the world was theirs, the final war was won, and then Vietnam happened. In the midst of material abundance and spiritual and intellectual complacency, they took what was offered, little realizing that their way of living carried a burden to be paid for in gold by the next generations. So, now, every time I see some grandfather type driving an RV, I long for a civilian model Stinger missile. There you go, old man, might as well burn a little bit more of the commonwealth. Might as well consume just a little bit more. Might as well go out in style and leave your kids and grandkids the bill.

I don’t believe in god. I don’t believe in the afterlife, as such, since it sort of relies on the existence of a spiritual realm. At the same time, I believe in ghosts, so let’s just say I’m conflicted. Jesus, though, I’m not so sure about. So this leaves me in a peculiar place. I’m pretty sure things are fucked up, but not so sure if they can be fixed. I fear for my life, but I hope for my daughter’s future. It’s hard to say why I’m not more depressed, but I still cling to hope that striving for life, for all that is good and honorable and worthy and free and human and flawed and true and absurd, actually means something. I want my death to be bought dearly, if you get what I mean. When the eagle swoops down to get this little mouse, I want to be giving it the finger. Have you seen that poster? It’s stupid, really, but it stays with me. A mouse, middle finger extended, looks up at an eagle. The eagle is swooping down to kill and eat him. The caption reads, “Defiance.” I don’t own a copy, but it’s sort of a long-term goal for me to acquire one. The image is inscribed on my heart, as is the sentiment.

So, embracing doom, I am free to live. Do you ever feel that way?

So, today’s playlist includes Collide, Christian Death, Sisters of Mercy, Lords of the New Church, Faith and the Muse, The Misfits, AFI, Front 242, Elvis (Blue Moon of Kentucky), Lords of the New Church, The Fuzztones, and others. And thus I ring in the death of seasons, doom and gloom, as well as the freedom to hope.

Bare trees, falling leaves, winter’s breath upon my neck. In my heart, forboding is intertwined with love and hope. If you’re doomed anyway, then best to die dancing on your own grave, a sword in your hand and your child held close in the other arm.

I got nothin'.
10-27-2006 01:18 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

well said, Doc... ... and i love that poster :biggrin:

I've always believed there was hope for me. I think there probably is hope for everyone else, too. Even if you have to do something drastic to get it, and i don't mean drastic as in go on a killing spree, but maybe just get away from your current situation, even if just for a while.

One thing though, if you don't believe you have hope, then you don't have hope. In that sense, it is kinda relative. It's there if you want it to be, if you're willing to do what it takes to get to it. And it almost never happens the exact way you wanted it to Laugh

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-27-2006 05:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Soul's right. It all depends on the person.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
10-27-2006 06:01 AM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)

Not everybody has hope. All people are capable of hoping though.
11-01-2006 11:50 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Money morkel Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Hope

Everyone has hope. hope is an optimistic attitude of mind based on an expectation of positive outcomes related to events and circumstances in one's life.
07-02-2015 03:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phynex Offline
Philosopher

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Hope

No, not everyone has hope. Everyone has a thing called dumb luck and what you do with it counts. Not everyone is born equal, we are all dealt from a deck of cards called fate, genetics and psychology clashed together make us who we are. There are some people who are born and will never be able to learn to read or write. Sometimes people lose their talents through tragedies and never recover. My belief is that you start out with hope as an embryo, go through the universe's simulation and eventually either keep it or lose it as some point in your life.

Hope never was clearly defined in this thread and I define it as your life having a positive net impact on your world around you along being happy.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2015 05:51 AM by Phynex.)
07-27-2015 05:50 AM
 Thanks given by: Dikont5
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)
Hope

Tricky question.

It is so damn hard to hope when you're depressed, sad or just feeling weak. But then again, the causes of my depression were mostly hormones(middle school) and external circumstances(being surrounded by assholes). Even then I simply got tired of feeling empty, and tried to invent a religion.

I think people misunderstand hope and optimism as being constantly preppy or 'at peace' in a "God will take care of this" way. Sometimes hope can be knowing that if you push enough, things will work out your way...sooner or later. Or maybe it's a feeling that a certain "something" you really need is out there somewhere, and that you'll find it if you try/look hard enough. I don't think I have ever been totally hopeless.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
09-18-2015 11:01 PM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
RE: Hope

(09-18-2015 11:01 PM)Rule_BreakerXVIII Wrote:  Tricky question.

It is so damn hard to hope when you're depressed, sad or just feeling weak. But then again, the causes of my depression were mostly hormones(middle school) and external circumstances(being surrounded by assholes). Even then I simply got tired of feeling empty, and tried to invent a religion.

I think people misunderstand hope and optimism as being constantly preppy or 'at peace' in a "God will take care of this" way. Sometimes hope can be knowing that if you push enough, things will work out your way...sooner or later. Or maybe it's a feeling that a certain "something" you really need is out there somewhere, and that you'll find it if you try/look hard enough. I don't think I have ever been totally hopeless.

I have little at this point. I've been battling depression (thank you mom (for making me move with my dad), Mr. Reinke (teacher who ruins every day of mine), middle school crush (rejecting me) and self-deflating personality) since before I came to SS (though I have had good days and weeks... and some where I considered suicide)

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
09-19-2015 07:35 AM
sfslol Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Hope

In the darkest of times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.

• "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." - Socrates
  • "My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth." - Unknown
12-09-2015 06:21 PM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Hope

Some people have it. Others don't.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
12-13-2015 12:09 AM