RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expel People Who Demand Trigger Warnings
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Heart Expel People Who Demand Trigger Warnings

source: http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/09/expe...-warnings/

Social psychologist Jonathan Haidt and Foundation for Individual Rights in Education President Greg Lukianoff recently wrote a tour de force of an article entitled, “The Coddling of the American Mind.” In response, Maddy Myers of The Mary Sue wrote an article so petulant it verges on self-parody. Worse yet, it is insulting to the readers’ intelligence, insofar as Myers apparently believes that an article coauthored by a decades-long veteran of studying psychology (Haidt) simply suffers from a failure to understand post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Among the more amusing bits of Myers’ non-response is an admission that she “[doesn’t] have evidence back up [her] claims of how these warnings work,” but does have “a lot of anecdotal stories from friends about how they have trouble predicting what will ‘set off’ their anxiety.” The crux of her argument (to the extent she can be flattered with such a term) seems to be this:

Quote:This is just one in a long line of misunderstandings on the part of older college professors who actually just seem angry at the ‘political correctness’ their modern students have begun to demand. They may try to characterize us as literal babies, but they’re the ones who look like babies to me, given the refusal to acknowledge their students’ experiences. They can’t be bothered to make small changes to their own curriculums that might better facilitate conversations among their students about media depictions of violence, rape, assault, war, kidnapping, and so on.

I like the idea of trigger warnings, but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not sure they do much to protect people from panic attacks. Unfortunately, almost no articles that discuss trigger warnings seem particularly interested in centering the experiences of people with anxiety and PTSD, and how those people might be better served by institutions and classes that they’re paying thousands and thousands of dollars to attend.
In other words, how can you be so cruel as to expect these students to engage with knowledge as it actually exists? They’re just trying to get the degrees they paid for in peace. Leave them alone.

What I am about to write may come off to many people as cruel. As such, I feel it necessary to begin by stating that I write this piece as a victim of childhood abuse who still suffers some degree of PTSD from the experience. I won’t claim it’s nearly as bad as that experienced by, say, combat veterans, although unlike Myers and her “abusive relationship,” I do have a window into PTSD that severe—namely, the very man who abused me: my father.

My Experience With PTSD
You see, my father had severe PTSD from his time as a Green Beret during the Vietnam War. It is probably at least partially because he refused to seek treatment for it that I ended up suffering the same thing to a lesser degree.

My father’s PTSD transformed him into an erratic, explosive, psychologically abusive man who instilled paranoid fantasies in me about everyone, including my own mother, starting when I was at the tender age of five. To make sure I never questioned these ideas, he punished any signs of critical thinking with almost Maoist tactics of repression. He also sweetened his psychological poison pill by alternating his rages and interrogations with grandiose flattery designed to make me even more dependent on his fantasies. Thankfully, my mother kicked him out when I was seven, but to this day I find it difficult to fully trust many people because of the pure paranoia I was forced to experience and embrace at an early age.

I don’t bring this up for pity. I bring it up because I know what it is to be triggered, and to have to fight your way past a psychological gag reflex that you never wanted, but that the dual cruelties of fate and another person’s mental illness imposed on you.

It is because I know this that I must write this article. In the past few years, I have seen the markers of a disorder I have learned to live with cynically twisted into a political cudgel by the radical Left, as well as a number of people I can only believe are still too deluded by their own continued suffering to realize what a mockery and an insult their cause is to their fellow sufferers. I don’t know which of these categories Myers fits into, but, frankly, it doesn’t matter. A snake-oil salesman is a snake-oil salesman, even if she believes the snake oil works.

Leave College If You Can’t Take It
Let’s get back to Myers’ “just let the poor traumatized kids get the degrees they paid for” argument. No, don’t let them get those degrees. The whole point of those degrees is to signify their bearers possess qualities beyond merely the credit rating to take out vast amounts of student loans. The entire reason college degrees are supposed to be valuable is that they signify a capacity to absorb and process specialized knowledge beyond what non-degree-holders have. This is, in fact, the whole purpose of education generally.

This means if some troubled or weak students have allowed their mental illness to preclude them from absorbing such knowledge, the fault lies not with the college, but with them. Such people are as ineducable as an illiterate English major. The solution is not to expel knowledge from the classroom that is disagreeable to these feeble and fragile minds. It is to expel them. Their place is in a psych ward, not a school, and their money (or, more likely, their parents’) is better spent seeking treatment there than spoiling education for everyone else.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the stigma attached to mental illness exists at least partially because “sufferers” exhibit these sorts of cognitive glass jaws. Why should you be willing to spend time around someone prone to breaking down and blaming you at any moment, let alone take responsibility for them as an employer, supervisor, or especially the sort of educator-cum-substitute-parent that many college administrations try to be? In our lawsuit-happy culture, there is no reason for any rational being to want anyone who is mentally ill nearby if their most visible “advocates” are so fragile they want to see a Shakespeare play labeled like a pack of cigarettes.

You’re Harming People Who Have Real Problems
This stigma is more than just an insult to people who do their best not to permit their mental illnesses to affect their lives. It also permits some senseless and unenlightened policies at universities. Witness Yale University’s policy on mental health, which seems to treat everyone with mental illness—even those who want to do nothing but learn in order to escape the circumstances that led to it—as a potential lawsuit. The result? Anyone who shows signs of mental fragility—even when he doesn’t permit it to affect his coursework—gets quietly suspended as a precautionary measure to avoid liability.

This policy has already led to one suicide by a suspended student and a pervasive culture among Yale students of not reporting their mental-health issues, which should surprise no one. But can we truly say it is irrational if the trigger-warning proponents are right that any mentally ill student who reads “Titus Andronicus” is liable to suffer a panic attack or become suicidal? If that’s true, the only rational response for educators is simply to either avoid contact with the mentally ill, or to shy away from teaching anything that might possibly implicate the darker side of human existence.

This is why colleges like Yale drive their students to suicide rather than risk a lawsuit, and why college professors fear that teaching “triggering” material might prematurely end their careers. In the guise of sensitivity, mental-health “activists” have convinced them that sufferers are ticking time bombs.

I hope that I speak for many, many other people who’ve dealt with mental illness when I say we are not so easily exploded, and many of us, especially those who have been acutely afflicted, resent the hell out of being portrayed that way. I refuse to give people who spread this meme of the easily breakable sufferer even the benefit of praising their noble or empathetic intentions. What they offer is not compassion, but idle, sniveling condescension disguised as such.

Can’t Handle the Heat, Get Out of College
To give one example of just how insulting these coddlers can get, consider the following argument that many proponents of trigger warnings have voiced to me: “Surely,” they say, “you wouldn’t throw spiders at an arachnophobe and claim it’s defensible behavior? How is bombarding people with triggers in a classroom any different?”

Setting aside how infantilizing the logic is, the problem with this logic is its generalization onto the classroom, which comes equipped with a few implicit expectations about your ability to absorb information. Sure, one might not throw spiders at an arachnophobe in a social setting, but when an arachnophobe decides to major in entomology, he forfeits his right to complain about seeing spiders.

Yet this style of argument clearly rings a chord with some people who suffer from mental illness. This is depressing, but also helpful, for it gives us a much clearer sign of who the ineducable and broken among us are. When they lend their support to the professional coddlers masquerading as “activists,” they advertise their presence.

Like it or not, the activists have done us a service in flushing them out, as surely as the exterminator does a service by drawing out termites. The “victims” they hold up as poster children should be the first people that colleges suspend, expel, or forcibly commit to whatever mental-health facilities they retain. This will take the stigma away from most mental-health sufferers and put it firmly where it belongs: with the ones whose inability to hack it in an educational setting is so all-consuming that they can’t stop talking about it.

Sick People Need Treatment, Not Trigger Warnings
Is this cruel? No. What is cruel is leaving people that troubled without treatment, and then expecting them to survive in institutions that are supposed to be dedicated to seeking truth. It is true that some people are so damaged that, in the immortal words of Col. Nathan R. Jessup, they “can’t handle the truth.”

It’s not fair to the colleges or to them to expect them to hack it any more than it’s fair to expect someone with easily broken bones to become a body builder. Either the college will have to dumb its educational mission down to the point of meaninglessness, or the extremely damaged will have to put themselves at risk of interminable mental agony. The first option destroys learning; the second destroys people. Better to keep the people incapable of learning away from it.

I know what it is to be triggered. I also have never resented a professor for not warning me in advance. If anything, I was grateful. For me, something being triggered was a bright flashing arrow indicating precisely what I most needed to work on to be able to live a normal life and cease permitting my painful past to control me. Seeing that truth and your own disorders don’t line up can be frightening or liberating; often both at the same time. Like Plato’s philosopher, whose eyes burn in the light of the sun when he first emerges from the cave, stripping away your own mental illness’ illusions can be very painful. As in Plato, it is also worth it.

But if you can’t brave that light, you don’t deserve it. If you need trigger warnings in order to learn, then the only warning we should hear is a warning against letting you in the classroom. There will always be those who prefer to be lost, but we don’t need to burn maps to accommodate them. To get back to educating students, colleges need to understand that some would prefer to remain lost in a dark wood of error. For those students, there can be only one option, and it is to inscribe above the campus gates the only warning the ineducable deserve to read:

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Mytheos Holt is a contributor to The Federalist and a senior fellow at the Institute for Liberty. Yes, Mytheos is his real name.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 09:19 AM by thewake.)
09-10-2015 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Honestly, lots of trigger warnings are overstated. I've seen lots of stuff that barely warrant a trigger warning. They just wanna cover their asses. Next thing we know, anything pertaining to reality will come with a trigger warning.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
09-10-2015 10:06 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Honestly, it's goddamn brilliant.

If someone feels they're "too sensitive" to deal with the material a college class teaches, why force them to be "triggered"... with revelations of their own ignorance? Expelling them would be an act of mercy... for everyone.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-10-2015 10:30 AM
 Thanks given by: Prankster813 , Superkamiguru
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: Expel People Who Demand Trigger Warnings

Trigger warnings don't (inherently) have to do with avoiding material, but for someone with PTSD to know what they're getting into ahead of time. You have to justify why the surprise, not the material itself, is necessary to 'intellectual development'.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
09-10-2015 10:40 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(09-10-2015 10:40 AM)magikarp Wrote:  Trigger warnings don't (inherently) have to do with avoiding material, but for someone with PTSD to know what they're getting into ahead of time. You have to justify why the surprise, not the material itself, is necessary to 'intellectual development'.

reality doesn't come with a trigger warning. College shouldn't be about isolating people from reality. And, it's not like professors are putting up shock images in their powerpoints. This is important material, some of which has been taught for generations.

Like the article said, an arachnophobe shouldn't be majoring in arachnology if they can't handle it. A student who can't handle college shouldn't be in college.

09-10-2015 11:01 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

If words scare you so badly you need trigger warnings stay under the covers and hope someone brings you food and water.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
09-10-2015 01:57 PM
 Thanks given by: thewake
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

And hope they provide a trigger warning before they give the food and water

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
09-11-2015 12:37 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

(09-10-2015 11:01 AM)thewake Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 10:40 AM)magikarp Wrote:  Trigger warnings don't (inherently) have to do with avoiding material, but for someone with PTSD to know what they're getting into ahead of time. You have to justify why the surprise, not the material itself, is necessary to 'intellectual development'.

reality doesn't come with a trigger warning. College shouldn't be about isolating people from reality. And, it's not like professors are putting up shock images in their powerpoints. This is important material, some of which has been taught for generations.

Like the article said, an arachnophobe shouldn't be majoring in arachnology if they can't handle it. A student who can't handle college shouldn't be in college.
The question is not whether trigger warnings are part of college or reality, because uhh neither of those things is totally immutable. The question is whether reading or listening to material without knowing about its content ahead of time is fundamental to the material being studied and the goals of the program.

Like, to use an admittedly heavy-handed example, stairs are 'part of reality' and yet we generally don't say that someone who needs a wheelchair or w/e shouldn't go to college because climbing stairs is a part of college and if they can't handle it they shouldn't be there.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 06:50 AM by magikarp.)
09-11-2015 06:50 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I agree with this bit, and the overall concept...

Quote:Sick People Need Treatment, Not Trigger Warnings
Is this cruel? No. What is cruel is leaving people that troubled without treatment, and then expecting them to survive in institutions that are supposed to be dedicated to seeking truth. It is true that some people are so damaged that, in the immortal words of Col. Nathan R. Jessup, they “can’t handle the truth.”

It’s not fair to the colleges or to them to expect them to hack it any more than it’s fair to expect someone with easily broken bones to become a body builder.

... but the writer seems like a complete asshole to me, personally... so someone had a shit experience, and now they "don't deserve" the education they (presumably) want? I agree that they should get help, but that's assuming that the mental health care system in general isn't shit (hint: it kind of is).

So by all means, fix the mental health care system so it isn't so damn degrading (treating people like they're crazy for having problems that stem from fucked up shit other people did to them), and then you can (maybe) talk about throwing people out who "can't handle" college.

It's not a crime to want to lead a normal life after you've been through some bad stuff (or at any other time). Trigger warnings are not a solution, because literally anything can potentially be a trigger... but treating hurt people as the problem isn't a solution either.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-11-2015 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Hey, Soul, your name turned red. How'd you do that?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-11-2015 08:07 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Sorcery. Evil

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-11-2015 08:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

(09-11-2015 06:50 AM)magikarp Wrote:  

The question is not whether trigger warnings are part of college or reality, because uhh neither of those things is totally immutable. The question is whether reading or listening to material without knowing about its content ahead of time is fundamental to the material being studied and the goals of the program.

Like, to use an admittedly heavy-handed example, stairs are 'part of reality' and yet we generally don't say that someone who needs a wheelchair or w/e shouldn't go to college because climbing stairs is a part of college and if they can't handle it they shouldn't be there.

stairs have nothing to do with the material. triggers warnings are for material. and, as has been said before, anything can be a trigger for some especially unfortunate sap.

not to say professors can't have them if they want. but it shouldn't be required, except in the cases where any reasonable person would be disgusted or shocked (like warnings about graphic images in a documentary).

honestly I'm not for forcing private institutions and businesses to be handicap accessible.

09-12-2015 07:33 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(09-12-2015 07:33 AM)thewake Wrote:  

stairs have nothing to do with the material. triggers warnings are for material. and, as has been said before, anything can be a trigger for some especially unfortunate sap.

not to say professors can't have them if they want. but it shouldn't be required, except in the cases where any reasonable person would be disgusted or shocked (like warnings about graphic images in a documentary).

honestly I'm not for forcing private institutions and businesses to be handicap accessible.

Are you also against street lights cuz of freeloaders?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-12-2015 08:44 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

(09-12-2015 07:33 AM)thewake Wrote:  

It's about the material, but it doesn't fundamentally alter the material or the course requirements, and is a minor accommodation, so what's the issue? I'm not sure whether they should be required, but I think the professor is an asshole if they refuse to do it when requested.

Why do reasonable people get to be 'isolated from reality' if the ability to see any kind of material unprepared is, apparently, fundamental to the college experience?

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 11:38 AM by magikarp.)
09-12-2015 11:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow School shootings, and alarmist warnings Mælstrom 3 2,237 12-18-2012 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ky
  Trigger warning! UnschoolShqiponjë 47 13,540 03-27-2012 05:54 AM
Last Post: cuttlefishCuller