RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hola (new here)
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Hola (new here)

Hi! I discovered school-survival.net and this forum when I was trapped in a public school that I hated. I didn't feel academically challenged, I didn't make many friends, and the teachers and staff didn't care about the health and well being of the students, so I began to fear going to school, and ended up flat out refusing to attend. I was made fun of because I am a transgender individual. I was made fun of because of my religious beliefs. I'm a Buddhist, which mind you is not at all common in Butt Fuck Indiana. I suffer from depression and anxiety and even attempted suicide. I was in a very bad place.

It took a lot of convincing but finally my mother agreed to put me in an online public school. Most of the curricula are the same, but I'm taking Creative Writing. This is the one class that I enjoy because I aspire to be a writer. I've self-published a novelette on Amazon Kindle and I frequently submit short fiction and poetry to literary magazines all over the country. Currently I'm working on trying to find freelance work, writing articles for blogs and websites, translating documents from English to Spanish or from Spanish to English, etc.

I feel that I'm wasting my time in high school, because I know what I would like to do and I feel that with each day my creativity and individuality are being drained more and more. The few other kids that I have talked to who attend my online school are just as much generic/cookie cutters as in any other public school. Creative Writing is the only truly creative class that I have ever taken--even most art classes that I have taken are ridiculously structured and formulaic and do not focus whatsoever on what the individual truly wants to express. My mother wants me to stay in high school and I am trying to please her as hard as I possibly can, however ridiculous and counterproductive it may seem.

I know that even if I did drop out I could pass the GED. My grades aren't so good, but that is because I refuse to participate in a system that does not work for me and that does not work for the majority of other students, either. Grades are only a measure of obedience. They are by no means an objective measure of a student's creativity or intellectual prowess. If I took the GED I could get into a college and take classes that I actually enjoy and make something of myself. High school does very little, if anything, to prepare me for this. I'm stuck learning about earth science and geometry and reading incredibly biased "history" textbooks when all I want to be is a writer. This does not make sense. It baffles me every single day.

Anyway, this was longer than I had planned for it to be, but if you've read it all I thank you and I'm glad to finally be a part of this lovely forum. Biggrin
02-06-2015 01:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: mpoole , SoulRiser
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Hola (new here)

leave while you still can

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-06-2015 02:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Hola (new here)

Welcome to School Survival!

A lot of us can relate to parts of your story - some here have been the targets of relentless bullying, others have experienced depression, still others can give a point-by-point analysis of what is wrong with school (just as you have), and many share a combination of the above.

Do you think it would be possible to somehow convince your mother to let you drop out and take the GED?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-06-2015 02:14 AM
 Thanks given by: JenniMiller , mpoole
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Hola (new here)

welcome!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-06-2015 02:31 AM
 Thanks given by: JenniMiller
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

RE: Hola (new here)

(02-06-2015 02:14 AM)DoA Wrote:  Welcome to School Survival!

A lot of us can relate to parts of your story - some here have been the targets of relentless bullying, others have experienced depression, still others can give a point-by-point analysis of what is wrong with school (just as you have), and many share a combination of the above.

Do you think it would be possible to somehow convince your mother to let you drop out and take the GED?
Thank you, and others, for welcoming me to the forum.

I've tried to convince her to let me do so, but she won't budge. It took over a year to convince her to let me leave my traditional public school for an online alternative. She dropped out and took the GED after failing grade 10, and she wants me to "do better" then she did--she later attended a two year college and had a steady job for seven years. The only reason she doesn't have the job now is due to the fact that we moved twenty miles away, making it extremely inconvenient for her to commute to and fro. There's no convincing her to let me drop out, so I'll have to wait another ten months, until I turn 18, to do so.
02-06-2015 03:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: mpoole
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(02-06-2015 03:09 AM)JenniMiller Wrote:  

I've tried to convince her to let me do so, but she won't budge. It took over a year to convince her to let me leave my traditional public school for an online alternative. She dropped out and took the GED after failing grade 10, and she wants me to "do better" then she did--she later attended a two year college and had a steady job for seven years. The only reason she doesn't have the job now is due to the fact that we moved twenty miles away, making it extremely inconvenient for her to commute to and fro. There's no convincing her to let me drop out, so I'll have to wait another ten months, until I turn 18, to do so.

Our pleasure.

All too common a reaction, unfortunately, but it was worth a try.

On an unrelated note, I'm also an aspiring author - would you happen to have any advice on the process of writing short stories?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-06-2015 03:55 AM
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

(02-06-2015 03:55 AM)DoA Wrote:  

Our pleasure.

All too common a reaction, unfortunately, but it was worth a try.

On an unrelated note, I'm also an aspiring author - would you happen to have any advice on the process of writing short stories?

The best advice that I can give you, I suppose, is to read a lot of short stories. The more you read, the more you will be able to limit your scope for writing within whatever word limit you choose. Just perfect your craft by writing. The best way to learn writing, effectively, is simply to read and to write (Stephen King said that--if you're looking for some really fantastic short stories, he has loads). Experiment with perspective, language, and style when you feel so inclined. You will only improve the more you write.
02-06-2015 04:08 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
MurkScribe Away
Revolutionary

Given 111 thank(s) in 79 post(s)
Hola (new here)

First off, I'm glad that you came to School Survival, this network will help you wrestle with the lies and propaganda you're constantly fed everyday along with a group of very open minded individuals;some others however rather misogynistic and ignorant. Also I know nothing about Buddhism, teach me the ways......aefaefaahfuai

MurkScribe's Mental Health Status:
[Image: calvin+and+hobbers.png]
02-06-2015 04:14 AM
 Thanks given by: JenniMiller , mpoole
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

(02-06-2015 04:14 AM)MurkScribe Wrote:  First off, I'm glad that you came to School Survival, this network will help you wrestle with the lies and propaganda you're constantly fed everyday along with a group of very open minded individuals;some others however rather misogynistic and ignorant. Also I know nothing about Buddhism, teach me the ways......aefaefaahfuai

Thank you for welcoming me here. Living in a small conservative town in Indiana, misogyny and ignorance are something that I have to deal with every single day. I don't get angry about it anymore; I just roll my eyes.

I'm always happy to talk with people about Buddhism, so I'll give you a brief synopsis of what it's all about. If you'd like to know more, you can send me a PM.

Basically, Buddhism is built on the idea that craving/desire (a concept known as tanha) leads to suffering. Tanha can encompass anything, really: material possessions, money, cigarettes, etc. This is inherently self-centered, and fogs our awareness of the world. The idea is to achieve complete awareness and enlightenment, a state known as nirvana, or, otherwise, buddhahood. Typically this is achieved through mindfulness techniques, which may or may not include meditation, yoga, etc.
02-06-2015 04:37 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Hola (new here)

Welcome! It's interesting how many people are doing online school, but still saying "I hate it" because of it being the same academic structure.

@Lisafromjackson and I are actually launching an online learning community that's an alternative to that... something credible to parents, but totally based on interests, learner choice, life-relevant learning, and connecting with people.

Our Gofundme campaign has a description of it -- http://www.gofundme.com/l0z104 -- and I have building the website, and guide for parents, on my TODO list. Actually, Lisa can share a draft of her guide for parents if you want, we could use help in making it better.

We're in touch with quite a few parents and teachers could could talk do your mom, as could I, if she was open to doing a hangout or something.

Check out Ken Danford's talk here for an idea of how it'll work (just online instead of in-person.) You might even show it to your mom. Smile

http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...?tid=34944

I was able to convince my parents to let me drop out when I was 17, take the GED, and go to college a year early. High school is such a waste of time if you aren't into it. There's no reason to be there. Some people like school or get something out of it, but if you don't, there are a growing number of allies who agree, find something else instead.

College could well be an option, and a lot of people like it better than high school (I did!), though these days there are also options beyond completing a college degree, if you have career plans like what you explain. It'll be less about a credential, and more about producing content, connecting with people, marketing yourself, and learning something about businesss... all of which can be done without completing a college degree, especially in 2015 (or 2020, when you'd possibly graduate.)

Anyway, welcome again. Check out Dialogue on Education in my sig if you're on FB, a lot of the active users from the forums are on there, along with some of these parents, teachers, etc. who are open minded enough to discuss these things.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
02-06-2015 09:36 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)
Hola (new here)

You plan on getting a GED?

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
02-06-2015 11:36 AM
SkullFucker Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I'm a artist in a few trades, makeup, hair, and drawing. I like learning things from math and history and all that shit but to each his own.
02-06-2015 01:45 PM
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

(02-06-2015 09:36 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  Welcome! It's interesting how many people are doing online school, but still saying "I hate it" because of it being the same academic structure.

@Lisafromjackson and I are actually launching an online learning community that's an alternative to that... something credible to parents, but totally based on interests, learner choice, life-relevant learning, and connecting with people.

Our Gofundme campaign has a description of it -- http://www.gofundme.com/l0z104 -- and I have building the website, and guide for parents, on my TODO list. Actually, Lisa can share a draft of her guide for parents if you want, we could use help in making it better.

We're in touch with quite a few parents and teachers could could talk do your mom, as could I, if she was open to doing a hangout or something.

Check out Ken Danford's talk here for an idea of how it'll work (just online instead of in-person.) You might even show it to your mom. Smile

http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...?tid=34944

I was able to convince my parents to let me drop out when I was 17, take the GED, and go to college a year early. High school is such a waste of time if you aren't into it. There's no reason to be there. Some people like school or get something out of it, but if you don't, there are a growing number of allies who agree, find something else instead.

College could well be an option, and a lot of people like it better than high school (I did!), though these days there are also options beyond completing a college degree, if you have career plans like what you explain. It'll be less about a credential, and more about producing content, connecting with people, marketing yourself, and learning something about businesss... all of which can be done without completing a college degree, especially in 2015 (or 2020, when you'd possibly graduate.)

Anyway, welcome again. Check out Dialogue on Education in my sig if you're on FB, a lot of the active users from the forums are on there, along with some of these parents, teachers, etc. who are open minded enough to discuss these things.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! It sounds very intriguing and I'd like to know more. When do you think it will become a reality?

(02-06-2015 11:36 AM)Missile Wrote:  You plan on getting a GED?

Probably, yeah.

(02-06-2015 01:45 PM)SkullFucker Wrote:  I'm a artist in a few trades, makeup, hair, and drawing. I like learning things from math and history and all that shit but to each his own.

I enjoy history, but I find that the history being taught is incredibly one-sided and biased.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 01:48 PM by JenniMiller.)
02-06-2015 01:46 PM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Like how when they teach about the crusades it's the Christians that are the bad guys and the Musliums were non-combatant?

02-06-2015 01:51 PM
SkullFucker Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Everything is biased and you will never read a true to life report on anything. There are a few sources who aren't as biased but nobody writes things down as fact I've noticed. There's always opinions slipped in and things filtered
02-06-2015 01:51 PM
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

(02-06-2015 01:51 PM)Missile Wrote:  Like how when they teach about the crusades it's the Christians that are the bad guys and the Musliums were non-combatant?

Like how my world history teacher last year demonized left-wing political ideologies and actively attempted to force his worldview onto the students.
02-06-2015 01:59 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hola (new here)

History Question:

Was Pearl Harbor unprovoked?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
02-06-2015 02:34 PM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

(02-06-2015 01:59 PM)JenniMiller Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 01:51 PM)Missile Wrote:  Like how when they teach about the crusades it's the Christians that are the bad guys and the Musliums were non-combatant?

Like how my world history teacher last year demonized left-wing political ideologies and actively attempted to force his worldview onto the students.

Which teacher dosen't force his worldview on his students? My teachers were left-wing, but their attempted brainwashing backfired when it came to me

02-06-2015 02:46 PM
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

No, Pearl Harbor was not unprovoked.
02-06-2015 03:44 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hola (new here)

Lol

Most teachers are left-wing as far as I know.

And especially college professors.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-06-2015 03:47 PM
JenniMiller Offline
Rebel

That isn't the case here in Indiana. The exact opposite is true.
02-06-2015 04:40 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Hola (new here)

Welcome to SS! Pirate

Good at writing you are... perhaps I might have need for your services at some point, because I am lazy.

Buddhism seems cool. Reminds me of the force in Star Wars, kinda. Although I also kind of like... well, wanting things. It's fun to strive after stuff sometimes. You know, when I'm not lazy... which does happen sometimes.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-07-2015 01:43 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(02-06-2015 03:09 AM)JenniMiller Wrote:  I've tried to convince her to let me do so, but she won't budge. It took over a year to convince her to let me leave my traditional public school for an online alternative. She dropped out and took the GED after failing grade 10, and she wants me to "do better" then she did--she later attended a two year college and had a steady job for seven years. The only reason she doesn't have the job now is due to the fact that we moved twenty miles away, making it extremely inconvenient for her to commute to and fro. There's no convincing her to let me drop out, so I'll have to wait another ten months, until I turn 18, to do so.

Any plans for what you might do next?

There are so many ways to do "better" -- and so many paths to them. I guess she doesn't see that?

The GED and accept-anyone college can still be a path to selective colleges if you do well and transfer after a year or two. Depending on the college, many other factors than your high school records will matter more.

Anyway, 10 months isn't that long, and it may not be worth the effort to make additional efforts to convince her... you could focus on just making the most of the time you do have. But, if you want help making further efforts, there might be additional things to show her, and if she's open to talking to some of us, who knows.

I wasn't always so fired up about persuading parents despite the odds. But now, vs. in years past, I've found of mountains talks, articles, stories, videos, and evidence that show how ridiculous school is, at least some of it coming from sources parents might pay more attention to than John Taylor Gatto and so on. Quite a few educators, as well as parents, and documentarians, and speakers and authors all see the same thing: if you really don't want to be in school, and you can find another path to education, there's no reason parents should force their kids to stay, especially if they're already okay with online school.

I think that if parents are open to talking to other parents about things, there's a good chance they could come to see another angle. Parents who refuse to even get in conversations about their kids' educational options and well-being, that's a much more challenging situation.

One angle to take is, show how chronic boredom and disengagement is not only a waste of time, but really not good for one's mental health. There's quite a bit of evidence for that... how powerlessness and lack of control over one's day can exacerbate depression and so on, but how to turn that into an argument for parents who don't want to listen is an open question.

(02-06-2015 01:46 PM)JenniMiller Wrote:  Thank you for bringing this to my attention! It sounds very intriguing and I'd like to know more. When do you think it will become a reality?

It's already partially a reality, since it overlaps with some of the more active users on School Survival. For example, I've been working with Mo the jo, even though he's still is in school, just helping him learn beyond school. He's exploring interests in programming, learning about computers, and so on.

Some of us are also planning a series of Google Hangouts focused on learning things. A number of us have done hangouts at times, but the plan is some that are more frequent and focused more directly on learning and doing.

The biggest think that isn't quite "finished" (but we're working on) is materials to show parents that show how what we can help facilitate is really a better learning environment than school or virtual school, for at least some students. But, we do have at least one bona fide experienced high school teacher as part of our core team, and we'll find more if that's what it takes.

(02-06-2015 01:45 PM)SkullFucker Wrote:  I'm a artist in a few trades, makeup, hair, and drawing. I like learning things from math and history and all that shit but to each his own.

I enjoy history, but I find that the history being taught is incredibly one-sided and biased.

These could all be good topics to explore.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
02-07-2015 06:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hola me Amigos y Amigas! 8Track 22 8,138 01-13-2012 02:04 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Hola School Survival Forums! genuine anarchist 15 3,896 03-25-2010 10:46 AM
Last Post: genuine anarchist