RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is using the internet for homework considered cheating?
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I am doing some homework on Shakespeare. I have to answer questions about Romeo and Juliet. Because I live in the f*cking 21st century, I have no clue what the characters are talking about! I am going online to look up summaries of the various scenes to help me answer the questions. I am only doing this for questions that I cannot figure out using the book. I am NOT stealing other peoples answers, I am simply doing research. Is this considered cheating?
04-02-2013 04:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

Only if you get caught.
04-02-2013 04:52 AM
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

RE: Is using the internet for homework considered cheating?

(04-02-2013 04:52 AM)Dead Wrote:  Only if you get caught.

This is homework. My LA teacher cut us loose without saying a thing about using resources other than the book itself. This isn't something that we are working on in the middle of class.
04-02-2013 04:58 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

You are not giving yourself a very good image with such a philistine remark as "Because I live in the f*cking 21st century, I have no clue what the characters are talking about!". Are you also a pro-obscurantist?

Anyway: research != cheating. Plagiarism is. Although I doubt plagiarizing in high school will really affect you that much, especially if you don't live in the U.S. It's more of a fear tactic to dissuade kids from doing such horrible and genocidal insanity as cheating (God help us, I know). If the content is licensed under a copyleft license, such as Creative Commons (the same one Wikipedia is under), then it's meant to be copied and distributed.
04-02-2013 05:08 AM
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

(04-02-2013 05:08 AM)V.R. Wrote:  You are not giving yourself a very good image with such a philistine remark as "Because I live in the f*cking 21st century, I have no clue what the characters are talking about!". Are you also a pro-obscurantist?

Anyway: research != cheating. Plagiarism is. Although I doubt plagiarizing in high school will really affect you that much, especially if you don't live in the U.S. It's more of a fear tactic to dissuade kids from doing such horrible and genocidal insanity as cheating (God help us, I know). If the content is licensed under a copyleft license, such as Creative Commons (the same one Wikipedia is under), then it's meant to be copied and distributed.

I'm not plagiarizing. I am doing research. I am not copying anything. I am just trying to get a good image of what is happening in the book, because I have no clue, given the outdated language.
04-02-2013 05:22 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(04-02-2013 05:22 AM)Godzillaman Wrote:  I'm not plagiarizing. I am doing research. I am not copying anything. I am just trying to get a good image of what is happening in the book, because I have no clue, given the outdated language.

Then you most likely won't get in trouble unless your teacher is a complete asshole.
04-02-2013 05:25 AM
Godzillaman Offline
Rebel

(04-02-2013 05:25 AM)Dead Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 05:22 AM)Godzillaman Wrote:  I'm not plagiarizing. I am doing research. I am not copying anything. I am just trying to get a good image of what is happening in the book, because I have no clue, given the outdated language.

Then you most likely won't get in trouble unless your teacher is a complete asshole.

This is not a question about whether or not I will get in trouble, but whether or not this is considered cheating.
04-02-2013 05:32 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

tl;dr It's not.
04-02-2013 05:33 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(04-02-2013 05:32 AM)Godzillaman Wrote:  This is not a question about whether or not I will get in trouble, but whether or not this is considered cheating.

Well that's just opinion. You could ask a couple different people and you would get a couple different answers, there's not an exact right or wrong answer. But no I really don't see how that's cheating.
04-02-2013 05:41 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

No. Cheating doesn't mean "finding a smart way of doing my homework quicker". Cheating means you just take the answers from someone else.

I also consider it not to be cheating if you know how and what to do, yet you don't want to put the effort in and get the answers from some one else(yet if the teacher asks you to show how you did it, you'd know.) Basically, It's "Yeah I know how this works, or I know what to do BUT I don't want to waste my time doing it so I'll just get the completed answers and save time"

And again, No. Some people just don't understand the concept of cheating...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-02-2013 07:52 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

No, it's not even close to cheating. In fact, I think it would be quite a bit faster for you if you were to cheat (not to mention morally right, especially if you help others by giving them what you got).

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-02-2013 09:20 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Nah, that's not cheating. That's just gathering information from various resources to answer the stupid god damned questions your teacher assigned you.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
04-02-2013 09:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Homework sucks! Homework is a WASTE OF TIME! Barricade 27 14,071 07-15-2015 03:27 AM
Last Post: sswbm
  Considered Idealistic MurkScribe 6 2,883 12-05-2014 10:02 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  The Ultimate Cheating Guide IamNoone 5 3,419 06-03-2012 11:38 AM
Last Post: 4r4b7
  Cheating thefrustrated 7 3,098 12-12-2011 07:49 AM
Last Post: Efs
  Completing homework with no Internet? Stealth 0 1,467 03-24-2011 11:45 PM
Last Post: Stealth
  Cheating Tips/Tricks himank 19 5,165 01-08-2009 01:26 AM
Last Post: random_name
  Cheating the textbooks? Mushroomer 17 5,457 03-26-2007 03:30 AM