RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
crazy rules TEACHERS have to follow
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
crazy rules TEACHERS have to follow

crazy rules TEACHERS have to follow (at least at my school)

reading teachers can't take students to the library or even send them there during class with a pass / the entire reading block must be spent in the class even if they run out of things to read

the teacher isn't allowed to leave class even if you have to vomit or can't control your bladder and/or bowels - this can get you fired

we're never allowed to give the students recess, go outside, have any free time, or ever show a video or play music

we're not allowed to talk with other teachers during our planning

we're not allowed to hug students or touch them anywhere besides their shoulders or hands

we have stupid dress codes: no sandals, no shorts, no sunglasses, no hats

we're not allowed to use profanity- even when it's just teachers around

we're never allowed to use our cell phones

that's all i can think of

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
05-02-2012 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

RE: crazy rules TEACHERS have to follow

oh yeah, one more: we're not allowed to send a student to make copies or buy us a coke from the machine or whatever

Captain Beefheart
05-02-2012 09:14 AM
Bell778 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Wow. It seems like schools try to control the teachers just as much as the students.
05-02-2012 09:20 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

You guys can't use cellphones? Whenever my chemistry teachers phone rings he answers it right away and leaves the room to take his calls. Even if he's in the middle of a lecture.
05-02-2012 12:32 PM
Sapphire Flames Offline
Pariah

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Yikes, feel sorry for you. That must suck being on a tighter leash then the students.

"All Animals are equal, But some are more equal than others."
05-02-2012 12:46 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Well shit.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 12:02 AM by Miller0700.)
05-02-2012 12:47 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

(05-02-2012 12:32 PM)Sharpie Wrote:  You guys can't use cellphones? Whenever my chemistry teachers phone rings he answers it right away and leaves the room to take his calls. Even if he's in the middle of a lecture.

Well, it's going to vary from school to school.

One of the worst things about all this is that teachers are the biggest snitches. Most of them can't wait until they see another teacher do something so they can run to the principal.

Captain Beefheart
05-02-2012 08:51 PM
batboy138 Offline
MASTA SLAPA

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

(05-02-2012 09:13 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  we're not allowed to hug students or touch them anywhere besides their shoulders or hands

Doesn't stop them from pinning a student to the ground if he get in a fight. Seriously, all you guys ever do is treat them like criminals.

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'." Yeah, but there is a "me" in "Team" spelled backwards!
05-03-2012 12:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kelby393 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Fuck rules!! Rules are bullshit, anyway.
05-03-2012 12:59 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

Hm...It seems overly strict at your school...

My Mom is also teacher, but I never heard of such strict rules. Who makes them?

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
05-03-2012 02:46 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(05-02-2012 08:51 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 12:32 PM)Sharpie Wrote:  You guys can't use cellphones? Whenever my chemistry teachers phone rings he answers it right away and leaves the room to take his calls. Even if he's in the middle of a lecture.

Well, it's going to vary from school to school.

One of the worst things about all this is that teachers are the biggest snitches. Most of them can't wait until they see another teacher do something so they can run to the principal.

Teachers gossip worse than the popular girls at high school. It is fucking horrendous. So much shit talking.

There are also unspoken rules for teachers The Cancer.

Never get too friendly with students or at least more friendly with them than with other teachers.

No matter how unreasonable a teacher is being NEVER try to stop them from being unfair when they reprimand or punish. I have an example of that:

School was over. The bell had rung and everyone was leaving. One student was about three feet from the exit. He pulled out his phone. The teacher took it from him and said, "you know the rules about phones in school!" He said, "yea but the day is over and I am almost outside." the teacher said, "It doesn't matter you are in school you can get your parents to come pick this up for you." I tried to intervene only to later get yelled at by the principle for trying to belittle the teacher's authority.

Watch what you say. This goes beyond just profanity. Don't talk about violent video games with students. Don't talk about anything that even hints at nudity or sexuality unless it is to say "SEX BAD AND EVIL MMKAY?"

Don't ever friend a student on facebook even if they send the request.

You should always assign homework (this can often be a written rule).

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
05-03-2012 05:46 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

(05-03-2012 12:38 AM)batboy138 Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 09:13 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  we're not allowed to hug students or touch them anywhere besides their shoulders or hands

Doesn't stop them from pinning a student to the ground if he get in a fight. Seriously, all you guys ever do is treat them like criminals.

I don't even treat the real criminals like criminals.

Captain Beefheart
05-05-2012 05:25 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Quote:School was over. The bell had rung and everyone was leaving. One student was about three feet from the exit. He pulled out his phone. The teacher took it from him and said, "you know the rules about phones in school!" He said, "yea but the day is over and I am almost outside." the teacher said, "It doesn't matter you are in school you can get your parents to come pick this up for you." I tried to intervene only to later get yelled at by the principle for trying to belittle the teacher's authority.

Aren't you actually a sub? One time I saw a teacher taking a kid's phone and I told her that I already had one I was taking up to the dean's office so I could just take that one too. Later I found the kid in the hall and gave her her phone back. Of course, the teacher found out but I just shrugged it off. I've never been yelled at by a principal. They just smile and put stupid little notes in my file. If they raise their voice at me I can file a grievance with the union.

Quote:You should always assign homework (this can often be a written rule).

I never assign homework. If a parent requests homework I just send home a workbook and answer key and tell them to work on it all they see fit. I just tell them frankly that they have seven hours in school and that's enough. If the principal told me I had to assign homework then I could get fired for not doing it. Hopefully, that won't ever happen.

Captain Beefheart
05-05-2012 06:33 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Interesting. Such a dictatorship...so if I got it right:
You can't get fired for not giving up homework. But, if the principal says you must, then you might get fired if you don't.
Am I the only one who sees things here seem a bit "off"?

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
05-05-2012 08:15 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

They're afraid of insubordination.

Captain Beefheart
05-05-2012 08:39 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

I WAS a sub but I quit. Can't take it. Luckily I am still in college for Psychology, I am gonna focus on Developmental Psych. I subbed when I was still a Education major.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
05-06-2012 02:03 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

I was thinking of teaching just so I can go crazy with the students and get fired on the first day.
Imagine getting drunk on Friday nights with your teacher hehehe

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
05-06-2012 08:35 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

I'd rather not. But they'd be probably drunk before me, so it could get funny.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
05-06-2012 08:59 PM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I don't know, I have most definitely hugged my teachers before and I know they add some students who send them Facebook requests. You can wear whatever you want as a teacher at my high school and it is virtually a given that at least one time a teacher will swear every day. We watch movies all the time; yesterday we spent the period watching a Russian May Day parade and one time we watched the Lion King in math.
Our teachers send us to any class we want, I mean in history class all these kids that don't feel like going to their assigned class will be in there fooling around, and sometimes the teachers have to use their phones for lesson planning and all. I have noticed they don't go to the bathroom that often during class periods. My Debate teacher said he passed a kidney stone in a portable once because he didn't want to interrupt class, but that was his choice. And we never, ever have gotten homework one time in history. Our teacher gives us each a grade based on how much he thinks we learned.
It isn't like your school at where I go to school.
05-06-2012 09:37 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

It could just depend on the principal. I know mine is a retarded bitch, so the stupid stuff she enforces doesn't surprise me.
However, it comes that the teachers always blame the ministry for such stuff.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
05-06-2012 10:08 PM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Precisely. My principal is a Gestapo who is concerned only with the students.
05-06-2012 10:11 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Quote:reading teachers can't take students to the library or even send them there during class with a pass / the entire reading block must be spent in the class even if they run out of things to read

Go to library and get a book so you can read in reading class? Oh, that's silly, keep the children in /sarcasm

Quote:the teacher isn't allowed to leave class even if you have to vomit or can't control your bladder and/or bowels - this can get you fired

Is this even legal? What if it is of even a greater medical issue - diabetes issues or something like that? Do you still have to stay in? Honestly, with the vomiting part - i'm sure the health department has something to say about that.

Quote:we're never allowed to give the students recess, go outside, have any free time, or ever show a video or play music

no video or no music is a bit harsh. not a suprising rule otherwise, just says "No Fun"

Quote:we're not allowed to talk with other teachers during our planning

this HAS to be a result of severe paranoia. it doesn't even make sense! (unless your teachers are former nazis planning to kill children)

Quote:we're not allowed to hug students or touch them anywhere besides their shoulders or hands
\

well, i don't think you should really be touching a child anyways. legitmate rule. I'd be pissed if a teacher even touched me.

Quote:we have stupid dress codes: no sandals, no shorts, no sunglasses, no hats

if the student's have a dress code, so should the staff. if they don't, staff shouldn't. simply.

Quote:we're not allowed to use profanity- even when it's just teachers around

so you seriously follow this fucking asshat rule created by the bitchiest of the faggots at this fucking school of yours. well the rule is bullshit. freedom of fucking speech!

Quote:we're never allowed to use our cell phones
Well student's aren't, so why should teachers be allowed? Do it, Just don't get caught by a student who wants you fired though.

War is stupid.
05-08-2012 08:28 AM
Hazarth Offline
braindead

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

are you kidding me? our teachers came randomly dressed to class, drink coffee there, leave whenever they want, send us wherever they want and we listen music on few classes all the time (and by music I mean ACDC and led zeppelin and so on...) not mentioning that we don't even come to class on time, and I am on a great school, and on of the strict ones! the funny thing is that it works perfectly... while you didn't miss more then 35% of all the classes in a subject, your fine (well, you can get like warning and stuff, but nobody really makes that much of a trouble...). People may think our education system is rubbish but actually, it gives us the needed education and we have a lot of time to study whatever we want at home!... At least I do...

Did you ever wonder, how time works?
05-08-2012 08:39 AM
Ami Offline
Renegade

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Hazarth, it's rubbish because we're forced to learn stuff without our consent. Even in your school I imagine there are several subjects you dislike, and yet you have to be sitting there listen to a teacher talking about it because someone decided you should.

The good teacher can make this less of a drudgery, but nothing can make you like it by force, and forcing you (and us) serves no good purpose.
05-08-2012 03:54 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Get a different job.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
05-08-2012 04:38 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Quote:I am a teacher and I am here to offer perspectives from the other side.
You should take this nonsense out of your signature. The "other side" would be if you were claiming that school is wonderful and we should all love it. That has nothing to do with being a teacher. This isn't a "teachers are evil" forum.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
05-08-2012 04:41 PM
Hazarth Offline
braindead

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(05-08-2012 03:54 PM)Ami Wrote:  Hazarth, it's rubbish because we're forced to learn stuff without our consent. Even in your school I imagine there are several subjects you dislike, and yet you have to be sitting there listen to a teacher talking about it because someone decided you should.

The good teacher can make this less of a drudgery, but nothing can make you like it by force, and forcing you (and us) serves no good purpose.

They can force me to sit there, but they can't force me to listen!

Did you ever wonder, how time works?
05-08-2012 08:26 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Cancer stop being a whiny bitch and switch jobs. You're just like any other teacher complaining about your job. You think our job is easier?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
05-08-2012 08:53 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I don't know. What do you do?

Captain Beefheart
05-08-2012 09:02 PM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

He's probably a STUDENT!

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
05-08-2012 10:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School rules should also apply to teachers KFC Nyan Cat 14 7,106 12-06-2014 09:55 AM
Last Post: KFC Nyan Cat
  Middle School Teachers v.s. Highschool Teachers Falsalm 6 5,726 01-01-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: Falsalm
  I have opened the door,Follow if you wish Asder Miller The Second 7 3,587 12-24-2012 01:48 PM
Last Post: SomeRandomHuman
  Crazy rumors about teachers MM 3 1,863 03-28-2009 09:28 AM
Last Post: Leon Kinotolian
  Follow your dreams Tasty Waffles 11 4,222 06-10-2008 11:12 AM
Last Post: Zstriker