RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Being "Naturally Smart"
NeuroSmog Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
On Being "Naturally Smart"

Am I the only one that thinks that being "naturally smart" is bullshit? The way I see it, people are intelligent in different fields, and people grow up in different environments that could either impede or accelerate their learning process. There's no way that an average person could simply be "naturally" (in other words, "born") smarter than another average person.

Let's take this for example:
Sam doesn't do well in math but is an amazing writer. Meanwhile, Lisa is an amazing mathematician but her writing is sub-par. Is Sam smarter than Lisa, or is Lisa smarter than Sam?

Also:
Tyler was born in a very abusive household, and was not emotionally stable enough to concentrate on his education. As a result, his grades plummet and he often can't form comprehensible thoughts. Would he have been "smarter" if he were born in a more comfortable environment?

I also think that as long as someone invests their time to learn something, they'll be "smart" in that area.

Anyway, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm blathering. That happens a lot. I just want to hear your thoughts on this subject.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2011 03:48 PM by NeuroSmog.)
12-19-2011 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)
RE: On Being "Naturally Smart"

I think everybody has the capacity to learn, as long as it is a genuine interest you just have to put the work in yourself.

Although I think it can be disputed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Ung-Yong

Kim Ung Yong began speaking in 2 months and could read Japanese, Korean, German and English by 2 years. He could understand the concept of differential calculus at 7 months...

I think he could arguably have been born smart.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
12-19-2011 04:03 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Everyone has limits on what they can learn some are just higher than others. I was really successful in school but i only give about a half ass try on it to get the A. While others in my class busted their ass every night to make sense of what we were learning. Sorry for them.
12-19-2011 04:29 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I think the brain functions similar to a muscle... the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. So people who think more will be smarter, but of course the catch is that they'll generally get smarter at the kinds of things they think about. So thinking about math won't make you smarter at dealing with people for example. I actually read something that supports this theory somewhere, but have no idea where I found it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-19-2011 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Land Of The NotSoFree Offline
Rebuilding

I was born into shit. Not at all that shitty, but still shit. Im surrounded by fools everyday of my life who are dumbed down by everything they take in. I consider myself very street smart because of the way I grew up, have good intellect and im excellent at reading. However, im average(or a bit below average) at math. The way we all learn depends on different experiences, and some people just don't experience certain things that others have.

& that leads me to everyone being better at learning in their own way. Which leads me to compulsory school sucking.

Now im angry.

but man...what the fuck @ that kim guy. Thats crazy. Makes me wonder alot about the human brain... no doubt he's ridiculously gifted. They say we tend to learn better when we're younger.

Hmm. I wouldn't say people can be born smarter...but born with higher ability to learn, perhaps.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2011 07:01 PM by Land Of The NotSoFree.)
12-19-2011 06:43 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

^ You're on the mark.

Intelligence = ability to learn. Not knowledge. Someone could be hyper intelligent and still very ignorant. My intelligence is only slightly above average, and I'm very, very good at what I do. On the other hand, I know a guy who has an I.Q that is almost 20 points above mine, nearing 145 or so, but he hasn't put much time into any single thing, so while he's smart in his own way, he's not that knowledgeable in any one subject while I am. He can figure shit out quicker than I can, but I can fix almost any computer problem, and I'm a pretty good musician.

Knowledge can be measured in what you know.
Intelligence can be measured in how fast you can learn.
The word "smart" is a term that seems to be a combination of the two or something. It's arbitrary. Scientists, as far as I can tell, are still studding the effects of Intelligence on upbringing, environment, and genetics. Last I heard here's what they figured out:

Those of us who are raised correctly, on a good diet, in a good environment tend to get better grades on average. Intelligence, however, is only minimally enhanced. Don't quote me on this, but from what I've read intelligence is largely genetic. (I think.) You'll have to look into it more, I'm just saying what I think I remember reading one time, but I'm probably wrong.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2011 09:33 PM by Absnt.)
12-19-2011 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NeuroSmog Offline
Rebel

What makes an IQ test different from an exam you take in school?

I think that most of us would agree that an in-school exam doesn't measure our intelligence. Anyone could memorize notes, regurgitate them the next day and get an A. (Of course, this only works if you're motivated enough to do that over and over again...) But what causes a person to fail a test? Not studying. Grogginess. Sickness. Lack of motivation. Bad mood. There are a lot of factors that could cause someone to pass or fail a test, right?

Can't the same be said for IQ tests? What if a kid didn't understand (or care about) the importance of an IQ test and randomly bubbled in answers to get it over with? What if that kid was sick, groggy, in a bad mood or simply not motivated? Would he be considered "retarded" just because he didn't try on one test?
12-20-2011 08:53 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^ I.Q. tests aren't the end all be all of measures. They are somewhat useful, but they aren't perfect. And obviously, if the person taking it isn't giving it their all, it won't measure their intelligence accurately. What makes I.Q. tests different from regular tests is that, ideally, you should be able to figure out the answer to the problems with no prior knowledge. There are many forms of I.Q. tests, some that solely involve pattern recognition, and that sort of thing. I'm not an expert, mind you.
They do assume you know some basic knowledge on most of the tests, though.

Blog I post to now:

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2011 09:04 AM by Absnt.)
12-20-2011 09:04 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I once said to my friend Diana that everyone in my family is really smart, and she said, "What does that even mean? Are you saying that someone who's good at basketball isn't smart?" I had never thought about it before, really, and her saying that really changed the way I judge other people. It's stupid how the culture makes these distinctions between smart, athletic, and creative. They're all the same.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
12-20-2011 02:45 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

There are different types of intelligence, it's not so much who is smarter than whom, but more of how you apply your intelligence to improving yourself and the world. Also, about the writer and the mathematician; the mathematician would be good at analyzing data, whereas the writer would be good at creative thinking.

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
12-20-2011 04:38 PM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Ah, the old "nature vs. nurture" argument. This one's been going on for a long, long time.

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
12-20-2011 09:21 PM
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)

(12-19-2011 09:30 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  ^ You're on the mark.

Intelligence = ability to learn. Not knowledge. Someone could be hyper intelligent and still very ignorant. My intelligence is only slightly above average, and I'm very, very good at what I do. On the other hand, I know a guy who has an I.Q that is almost 20 points above mine, nearing 145 or so, but he hasn't put much time into any single thing, so while he's smart in his own way, he's not that knowledgeable in any one subject while I am. He can figure shit out quicker than I can, but I can fix almost any computer problem, and I'm a pretty good musician.

Knowledge can be measured in what you know.
Intelligence can be measured in how fast you can learn.
The word "smart" is a term that seems to be a combination of the two or something. It's arbitrary. Scientists, as far as I can tell, are still studding the effects of Intelligence on upbringing, environment, and genetics. Last I heard here's what they figured out:

Those of us who are raised correctly, on a good diet, in a good environment tend to get better grades on average. Intelligence, however, is only minimally enhanced. Don't quote me on this, but from what I've read intelligence is largely genetic. (I think.) You'll have to look into it more, I'm just saying what I think I remember reading one time, but I'm probably wrong.

You hit the nail on the head.

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
12-22-2011 09:37 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(12-19-2011 04:43 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I think the brain functions similar to a muscle... the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. So people who think more will be smarter, but of course the catch is that they'll generally get smarter at the kinds of things they think about. So thinking about math won't make you smarter at dealing with people for example. I actually read something that supports this theory somewhere, but have no idea where I found it.

True as this is, some people are born with a predisposition to learn well ahead of the rest of the pack. Others are born without the ability to learn at any reasonable pace at all. Life truly is unfair, isn't it?

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-22-2011 04:45 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yeah, but maybe not everyone is meant to be that kind of smart.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
12-23-2011 11:36 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

(12-23-2011 11:36 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Yeah, but maybe not everyone is meant to be that kind of smart.

I'm not talking about book smarts. I'm speaking about an ability to learn in general.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-23-2011 11:40 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Plus, honestly, the world is definitely unfair. Thinking everyone is smart in their own way is kind of idealistic. If you're agnostic, or atheist then, which I guess I am for now, it follows logically that there is no supreme being to dictate what is "meant to be". Some people aren't meant to be smart in this field and others aren't meant to be smart in other fields, everything just kind of happened through a natural process. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

Blog I post to now:

12-23-2011 11:43 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I know, and maybe not everyone is meant to be able to learn fast or whatever. Take for example people with Down Syndrome... yeah, they have lower IQ and all that shit, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndro...ndividuals

They're still quite capable in their own way. Also, if they didn't exist, we'd all take our intelligence for granted. If everyone was equally capable, it'd be boring. Life is unfair, this is true, but if life was always completely fair... wouldn't it be boring?

And there's also a certain amount of satisfaction in doing something that's supposed to be 'too difficult' for you to do.

Hidden stuff:
12-23-2011 11:57 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

^ Yeah, I can get behind that...

Blog I post to now:

12-23-2011 12:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Smart People. Absnt 28 3,363 01-05-2010 11:58 AM
Last Post: magikarp