RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immortality
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Immortality

Do you support immortality? Do you want to live forever? Or lengthen your lifespan? Or at least get the option to live forever? Here's a non-profit organisation dedicated to immortality: http://sens.org/

Personally I would at least want to live longer, probably forever. I don't know what happens after death, I would rather stick to the path I know.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011 10:03 PM by psychopath.)
11-27-2011 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: Immortality

I wouldn't wanna live forever... unless everyone else was also gonna live forever. Imagine you live forever, but have to keep on experiencing everyone you've gotten to know dying of old age, over and over and over... no thanks.

But if they can live forever too... maybe. Although, what if some kind of accident kills them? Then you have to spend the rest of eternity without them... whereas with a normal lifespan it's just a few more decades. ... maybe you get to join 'em after that. Shrug

Although I suppose you could always kill yourself if you're tired of it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-28-2011 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-r...death.html

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
11-28-2011 12:33 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I want to live forever. No question.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
11-28-2011 12:40 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

"Let us die young, or let us live forever, we don't have the power, but we never say never... Forever young, I want to be forever young. Do you really want to live forever, forever, forever?"

Immortality? I think I prefer the afterlife to being stuck in this sh*thole forever. Although it might be fun seeing the second coming from the earthly perspective.

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
11-28-2011 09:40 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

After you die, you won't be conscious anymore.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

11-28-2011 11:08 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

(11-28-2011 11:08 AM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  After you die, you won't be conscious anymore.

You don't know that for sure, but I would rather not risk it...there's no evidence for an afterlife
11-28-2011 01:30 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

"I intend to live forever. So far so good."

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
11-28-2011 02:15 PM
Hendorne Endoh'roth Offline
Dogboy Prime

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I need to have immortality, a true immortality, not just age also immortal in the way that I cannot be killed. I need it to complete something massive to make Earth good once more. I guess there is no more need for me to mention this here, since nobody would actually have a partial bit of faith in it.

I'm a therian, not a human, and I'm proud of it. No matter what others say, I will be strong.
11-28-2011 09:24 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I intend to live forever or die trying.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

11-29-2011 02:21 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

(11-29-2011 02:21 AM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  I intend to live forever or die trying.

Just curious, do you have any plans or are you going to wait for medical technology to progress?
11-29-2011 02:34 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

No plans except being as healthy as possible, and a plan to plan I guess.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

11-29-2011 02:44 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Hey scientists have been able to slow down aging in mice, maybe they'll find a way for pigs, then humans sometime in the next few years. I'd kinda like to see the 2100's Smile -Assuming I don't get myself killed in an anti-school revolution or anything.

True immortality is impossible though.

(Of course, being a Christian I should point out that the Bible says that Man was originally supposed to live forever, thus the reason people have a deep feeling that death is unnatural and somehow wrong)

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2011 08:13 AM by Liquid.)
11-29-2011 08:11 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

If you lived forever, life would get boring as fuck. Life is already boring as fuck. And after thousands of years time would go by too fast because of everything already in your memory. Also, you'd look like a freak of nature millions of years from now, after everyone else has evolved. What happens once the universe ends?

No, this is Patrick.
11-29-2011 01:35 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

(11-29-2011 01:35 PM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  If you lived forever, life would get boring as fuck. Life is already boring as fuck.

Are you sure? You do realise the infinite possibilities of the future? I'm not sure how your brain would even handle it all, let alone get bored. I don't know what would really happen, whether your brain would forget earlier experiences or just block out new information, I don't think anybody knows that.

But seriously, that's like saying lets not find a cure for cancer because it would be boring.
11-29-2011 03:04 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

(11-29-2011 01:35 PM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  If you lived forever, life would get boring as fuck. Life is already boring as fuck. And after thousands of years time would go by too fast because of everything already in your memory. Also, you'd look like a freak of nature millions of years from now, after everyone else has evolved. What happens once the universe ends?

I see you read the article

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
11-29-2011 09:57 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

(11-29-2011 09:57 PM).Manicrose. Wrote:  
(11-29-2011 01:35 PM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  If you lived forever, life would get boring as fuck. Life is already boring as fuck. And after thousands of years time would go by too fast because of everything already in your memory. Also, you'd look like a freak of nature millions of years from now, after everyone else has evolved. What happens once the universe ends?

I see you read the article

Indeed I did.

No, this is Patrick.
11-30-2011 07:14 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Thenderf00t Wrote:Eternal life isn't a gift, but arguably the most horrific tortures that can be laid on a sentient being. I mean, sure, the first million years might be fun, but what about the next million and the billion after that and the trillion after that and you would still have an eternity left. This is never going to end; there will never be an end in sight. Eternal life is nearly the poorly thought out fiction of mortals that gotten greedy. Eternal life would be a curse. Without death, there is no reason to do things. Eternal life would rob you of purpose. And this is how things would remain for an eternity and an eternity after that and an eternity after that. I strongly urge you to accept your mortality. Do not let your fear of your inevitable death make you waste your mortal life pursuing phantasms and illusions. Look at yourself in the mirror. For billions of years, those particle, which are currently looking back at your circulatory place in the universe, but for a brief moment they have coalesced in you. Rejoice in the impressive instant until they dissipate whence they came. Delight that your a spark of life in the universe. Life is so much more vibrant and vivid without bronze age paranoid superstitions that cloud and contract the mind with some empty and undesirable promise that sparks can burn forever. Our time is finite. This gives our lives meaning. This gives our lives purpose. This gives our lives urgency. Live life today; savor it."

Previously known as Derchin.
11-30-2011 09:05 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Well I think that living forever would be more easy today then say 200 years ago. If you could manage to live forever you might be able to entertain yourself, With all this media man kind has made there is a surplus of things to do. Maybe close to infinite.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
11-30-2011 02:57 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

They predict it will be possible in the next 20 years. Through progression in the field of prospthetics, it will just be a case of replacing the weak limbs and organs with artificial replacements. They said that someone could run for an entire 15 minutes without taking a breath and other crazy stuff. I bet we won't get that kind of treatment though. Unless it's done on a mass scale, only those with fame and money are going to get it... time to earn money.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
11-30-2011 03:32 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

What about the brain?... wouldn't it eventually deteriorate and just die or function really badly?...

[Image: glorious666.png]
11-30-2011 04:25 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

(11-30-2011 09:05 AM)Derchin Wrote:  
Thenderf00t Wrote:Eternal life isn't a gift, but arguably the most horrific tortures that can be laid on a sentient being. I mean, sure, the first million years might be fun, but what about the next million and the billion after that and the trillion after that and you would still have an eternity left. This is never going to end; there will never be an end in sight. Eternal life is nearly the poorly thought out fiction of mortals that gotten greedy. Eternal life would be a curse. Without death, there is no reason to do things. Eternal life would rob you of purpose. And this is how things would remain for an eternity and an eternity after that and an eternity after that. I strongly urge you to accept your mortality. Do not let your fear of your inevitable death make you waste your mortal life pursuing phantasms and illusions. Look at yourself in the mirror. For billions of years, those particle, which are currently looking back at your circulatory place in the universe, but for a brief moment they have coalesced in you. Rejoice in the impressive instant until they dissipate whence they came. Delight that your a spark of life in the universe. Life is so much more vibrant and vivid without bronze age paranoid superstitions that cloud and contract the mind with some empty and undesirable promise that sparks can burn forever. Our time is finite. This gives our lives meaning. This gives our lives purpose. This gives our lives urgency. Live life today; savor it."

I see 2 points he made here, that it would be boring and that immortality would kill your motivation.

However he has no evidence whatsoever that it will be boring, and he has no evidence whatsoever that it will kill your motivation to do things. These arguments are knee-jerk reactions.

(11-30-2011 04:25 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  What about the brain?... wouldn't it eventually deteriorate and just die or function really badly?...

No because ideally immortality will include ongoing repair of the brain, just like the rest of the body.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2011 05:27 PM by psychopath.)
11-30-2011 05:26 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Nanobots / downloading yourself into a computer is where it's at. Get shot in the arm? No bit deal, the nanobots will have it repaired in a matter of minutes. Tumor? Tumor's ain't shit when we have nanobots. Get shot in the face, it's no longer a thing to worry about, just have yourself a new head made and upload yourself to it.

Fuck yeah.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-01-2011 07:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(12-01-2011 07:06 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Nanobots / downloading yourself into a computer is where it's at. Get shot in the arm? No bit deal, the nanobots will have it repaired in a matter of minutes. Tumor? Tumor's ain't shit when we have nanobots. Get shot in the face, it's no longer a thing to worry about, just have yourself a new head made and upload yourself to it.

Fuck yeah.

Then some terrorist organization will learn how to remotely control the nanobots so the government will require they get control of them *just in case* of a terrorist infiltration. 2984?

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
12-01-2011 10:08 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Yes, but I'm quite well up in my computer science. I'll be the cyber terrorist controlling everyone. Trololol

Blog I post to now:

12-01-2011 03:28 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

(11-30-2011 04:25 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  What about the brain?... wouldn't it eventually deteriorate and just die or function really badly?...
Assuming it was still a normal brain and its capacity wasn't increased by 1000%, you would eventually notice time speeding up faster and faster until a year seemed like a day, because you've probably noticed that the older you get the faster time passes because each month makes up a smaller percentage of the time you've already lived. Or something. Like if you're one month old, that month is the WORLD to you. You don't know anything else. It's an immeasurable amount of time. But when you're 600 a month is just a flash in your life.

Also maybe it would run out of capacity, though that seems unlikely since I read somewhere that the brain has a capacity that would last you thousands of years of life.

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2011 10:02 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(12-01-2011 10:02 PM).Manicrose. Wrote:  
Assuming it was still a normal brain and its capacity wasn't increased by 1000%, you would eventually notice time speeding up faster and faster until a year seemed like a day, because you've probably noticed that the older you get the faster time passes because each month makes up a smaller percentage of the time you've already lived. Or something. Like if you're one month old, that month is the WORLD to you. You don't know anything else. It's an immeasurable amount of time. But when you're 600 a month is just a flash in your life.

Also maybe it would run out of capacity, though that seems unlikely since I read somewhere that the brain has a capacity that would last you thousands of years of life.

That's just one's perception. Time doesn't actually speed up. Often kids live in the moment, adults are constantly looking to a future event. Time just feels as it always has to me.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
12-02-2011 12:10 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

The only bad side to immortality that I can envision is if the future does turn out incredibly bleak and apocalyptic and there's no release in sight.

But yeah, there's that thing with "immortal but not invincible", so you could probably off yourself.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 12:14 AM by Faby.)
12-02-2011 12:14 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Quote:That's just one's perception. Time doesn't actually speed up.
Perception is everything, since time is fluid and it can be argued that it doesn't actually exist.

Hidden stuff:
12-02-2011 03:27 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I think time almost certainly exists. Time, imo, is the thing between point A. and point B. Like if I hit a stick against my wall, wait, then do it again, the period in which I waited is what time is. The word "time" is just how we define waiting. Although, scientists kind of raped my whole theory on time when they started changing shit up with astronauts moving through time faster than we do, and flying two planes around the planet with clocks on them that are synchronized, then the clocks being off when the planes landed. Shit's fucking weird.

Blog I post to now:

12-02-2011 06:16 AM