RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Lock Down
~Tundra~ Offline
I <3 Art

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Thumbs Down Lock Down

The other day, at lunch time, I was in the library with my friends.
Suddenly the librarian announced that the school was in lock down, and she didn't know why, and we were not allowed to leave.
So we stayed there until a little while after the bell went, then we went to assembly.
Someone my friends knew explained that some kid went mad and was knocking down bins and punched a teacher in the face.
I don't get why they didn't just evacuate the area, instead of the whole school. He was hardly going to run up to the library and kill us all. Huh
Anyway, anyone else ever been in lock down for something like this?

[Image: tundra3-1.png]
11-24-2011 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
RE: Lock Down

My school used to do this(and probably still does). We had drill lockdowns all the time and we had to hide under the desks.

I seriously think there's something logically wrong with these "lockdowns", but my school never had a lockdown from a single student going nuts...they could probably control him better as a group rather than everybody hiding and isolating themselves. Lockdowns do not make sense.

Society has come to a point where the slightest bit of violence scares the shit out of everybody and they all hide under their desks. Are they going to do a lockdown everytime there's a student fight? Ridiculous
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2011 01:28 AM by psychopath.)
11-25-2011 01:25 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Someone phoned in a bomb threat at my school. We evacuated. They still haven't found my bomb, arseholes.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
11-25-2011 01:27 AM
Luizao876 Offline
Everyone's favorite Huezillian

Given 22 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Lol, never happened in my school.
11-25-2011 01:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Over a fight? We have at least 10 fights a year, most of which end in a teacher physically getting involved, and never have we ever locked down. The only thing we ever go into "lockdown" over is bombthreats. Yes, you heard me right, my school locks us all IN THE FUCKING BUILDING WITH THE BOMB. It's fucking retarded.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
11-25-2011 03:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

(11-25-2011 03:40 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  my school locks us all IN THE FUCKING BUILDING WITH THE BOMB. It's fucking retarded.

What? That's like rescuing hostages back into a hostage situation, what the hell is that to do?

Anyway, I have never had a lockdown, but if we do I'm heading out the window. Sitting under desks is just clustering targets. Also even if there's not that much danger still may as well jump out the window for the sake of getting out of school.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
11-25-2011 06:03 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Tundra lemme guess, you live in white suburbia lol. Sounds stupid. Your school is over reacting.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
11-25-2011 06:23 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Schools do this lockdown shit to teach children to submit to authority and not fend for themselves. A hidden lesson of school.
I think the hide under your desks to survive bomb threats came from the 50s.
watchy

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
11-25-2011 10:16 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Lol because hiding under your desk would totally save your skin if there was a nuclear bomb. It was just encouraged because it would help identify the bodies.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
11-25-2011 10:48 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Oh, but don't forget the illusion of safety it gave people...

Blog I post to now:

11-25-2011 10:59 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

(11-25-2011 10:59 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Oh, but don't forget the illusion of safety it gave people...

Well yeah. I mean, they didn't tell the kids the real reason for the hiding-under-your desk thing...

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
11-25-2011 11:04 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(11-25-2011 10:48 AM).Manicrose. Wrote:  Lol because hiding under your desk would totally save your skin if there was a nuclear bomb. It was just encouraged because it would help identify the bodies.

Lol US gubment, you lieing sneaky evil bastard you.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
11-25-2011 11:05 AM
Krieg Offline
Renegade

Last year during the final exams, a bunch of Seniors faked bomb threats, we had to evacuate and we got to go home, the bomb squad found nothing. Not only did they do this once, this happened 3 or 4 times after that...

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
— Joseph Stalin

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
— Winston Churchill

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
— General George S. Patton

"Whoever stands by a just cause cannot possibly be called a terrorist."
— Yassar Arafat

"A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on."
— John F. Kennedy

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
— Edmund Burke

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
— Napoleon Bonaparte
11-25-2011 11:15 AM
~Tundra~ Offline
I <3 Art

@psychopath- So right. But I think this is the first lock down over a student going mad. There are worse fights that that, and they don't do lock down for them.

@UnschoolShqiponjë- Nah, it's just a (kinda) normal town in the middle of basically nowhere Smile
Most of the houses are old, apart from the posh part of town.

@Absentinsomniac And I'm guessing for lock downs they take you to the evacuation area, right?

@AWOL Haha Smile

11-25-2011 03:23 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

In middle school, somebody spray-painted the word "bomb" on a wall, but spelled bomb "Bom"

We were in lockdown for a full ninety minutes.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
11-25-2011 06:04 PM
~Tundra~ Offline
I <3 Art

(11-25-2011 06:04 PM)Pieman Wrote:  In middle school, somebody spray-painted the word "bomb" on a wall, but spelled bomb "Bom"

We were in lockdown for a full ninety minutes.

Wow, your middle school is worse than my school.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2011 06:45 PM by ~Tundra~.)
11-25-2011 06:34 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

I haven't had a lockdown yet in high school - but in middle school every year or so there was an incident that caused the administration to panic and have everybody hide under their desks. One such incident was because a student who was suspended showed up on a bus, then went home. Big fucking deal.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-25-2011 10:46 PM
~Tundra~ Offline
I <3 Art

Well at least now I know that my school isn't the only stupid one Smile

11-26-2011 06:20 PM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(11-25-2011 06:03 AM)monkey Wrote:  
(11-25-2011 03:40 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  my school locks us all IN THE FUCKING BUILDING WITH THE BOMB. It's fucking retarded.

What? That's like rescuing hostages back into a hostage situation, what the hell is that to do?

One time we were in school during a tornado warning, so my teacher had us all get under our desks. We were on the third floor, the top floor of my school. Yes, that is the absolute safest place for us to be in the event of a tornado. Cuckoo

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 12:18 PM by Story and Myth.)
11-28-2011 10:01 AM
~Tundra~ Offline
I <3 Art

You're teacher isn't crazy, obviously you could use the desk as a parachute if you got caught up in the tornado! Nutter

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2011 02:50 PM by ~Tundra~.)
11-28-2011 02:49 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I haven't had one yet at my HS, but in MS they loved doing that shit. One time some guy was shooting at kids with an airsoft gun, way out of range to be able to hit anyone, and they put us in lockdown. Another time some escaped criminal broke into a car in the parking lot and assaulted the principle...I idolize whoever that guy is...if I ever know that I'm in danger, fuck hiding under the desk I'm breaking a window.

No, this is Patrick.
12-01-2011 10:55 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

(11-25-2011 03:23 PM)Tundra Wrote:  @Absentinsomniac And I'm guessing for lock downs they take you to the evacuation area, right?

Lol, that'd be hilarious. But no, they just do the same thing no matter what.

Blog I post to now:

12-01-2011 03:48 PM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

I had a bomb threat in my old school. We sat around INSIDE THE DAMN SCHOOL for about an hour.

If there's ever any legitimate school shooters or bomb threats in my school, I'm going right out the window. My school is VERY small (two hallways) and if someone wanted to kill everybody it wouldn't take that long to clear every room before police got there if you knew what you were doing. I sure as fuck won't cower in the corner and hope that the shooter says "hmm, the lights are turned off and the door is locked. The room must be empty."
12-01-2011 04:25 PM
thefrustrated Offline
Renegade

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(11-25-2011 11:15 AM)Krieg Wrote:  Last year during the final exams, a bunch of Seniors faked bomb threats, we had to evacuate and we got to go home, the bomb squad found nothing. Not only did they do this once, this happened 3 or 4 times after that...

Wow someone in my school should fake one too just to get us out xD
12-06-2011 06:46 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I really hate how they think we're all defenseless little children. They don't realize that not only do I have a knife and 3 pairs of scissors about my person, (despite rules against that) there are several boys WHO CUT CLASS THE FIRST DAY OF DEER SEASON. Honestly, I don't want to hide in the corner, I want to be setting up a battle plan with those guys!

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
12-15-2011 12:21 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Wouldn't it be ironic

if this thread got locked lol

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-15-2011 12:45 PM
RedBird Offline
The Icon

When had a lockdown last year because a prisoner had escaped and was within a mile of our school. it lasted for about an hour.
12-15-2011 02:25 PM
The Shadowman Offline
Kane lives!

Given 11 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(12-15-2011 02:25 PM)RedBird Wrote:  When had a lockdown last year because a prisoner had escaped and was within a mile of our school. it lasted for about an hour.
So the police assumed that the prisoner would immediately head to your school to follow some remedial classes?
Ah, the United States Police Force never ceases to make me laugh.
12-18-2011 07:16 AM
avrillavigne12251 Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

we had a lockdown at our school, because someone wrote something online about how he was going to kill all these teachers and have a shooting rampage on a date or something
and somehow this came to the attention of the division who put us on lockdown that day... heres the thing. there was another school in our division with a similar name. that was the school he was referring to. and the cops arrested him for drug possesion or something infront of said school. i never really understood it completely, but it was scary as fuck.

also about the hide under your desk thing, and make the classroom look abandoned, I've always thought about the fact that basically every school shooter has been to school, and knows damn well thats what they do. and it would be too easy to shoot through the wall or something O.O if we have another lockdown alert, im going through the window too, screw it.

Honesty is the best policy, but Insanity is a much better defense.
Nutter
12-29-2011 06:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Specialty lock-in is good lamefun 6 4,275 01-25-2013 11:59 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Why do teachers "grade lock"? Will 19 8,023 08-21-2006 03:15 AM
Last Post: Alucard483