RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Private Sector cannot exist without the Public Sector
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
The Private Sector cannot exist without the Public Sector

And visa-versa. I have been seeing lots of people lately, especially because of the recession, promoting ideas like the free market and its polar opposite, a planned economy. Yet many people fail to realize that the public and private sectors both feed off of each other. One cannot exist without the other. So if you do promote these absurd economic theories, just be sure to look at the logic behind them before you say something.
10-24-2011 01:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: The Private Sector cannot exist without the Public Sector

Are you going to present any logic?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
10-24-2011 01:32 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(10-24-2011 01:21 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  And visa-versa. I have been seeing lots of people lately, especially because of the recession, promoting ideas like the free market and its polar opposite, a planned economy. Yet many people fail to realize that the public and private sectors both feed off of each other. One cannot exist without the other. So if you do promote these absurd economic theories, just be sure to look at the logic behind them before you say something.

Ima use as much evidence and logic for my post as you did for yours:
[Image: 08%20your%20argument%20is%20invalid.jpg]

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
10-24-2011 01:52 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

[Image: well_thats_just_like_your_opinion_man.jpg]
upload psd

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-24-2011 02:47 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(10-24-2011 01:21 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  And visa-versa. I have been seeing lots of people lately, especially because of the recession, promoting ideas like the free market and its polar opposite, a planned economy.

People like to either go toward one side or the other, personally I think the best way to do it is somewhere in the middle, (3rd Way), unfortunately if you follow centrism to it's logical conclusions you get fascism.

(Although taking Free market all the way, or communism all the way also gives you a bad result.)

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-25-2011 07:58 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(10-25-2011 07:58 AM)Liquid Wrote:  
(10-24-2011 01:21 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  And visa-versa. I have been seeing lots of people lately, especially because of the recession, promoting ideas like the free market and its polar opposite, a planned economy.

People like to either go toward one side or the other, personally I think the best way to do it is somewhere in the middle, (3rd Way), unfortunately if you follow centrism to it's logical conclusions you get fascism.

(Although taking Free market all the way, or communism all the way also gives you a bad result.)

Hasn't America been in the middle or a mixed-market economy for the past at least a hundred years? Lol look at the success of that.

10-25-2011 08:58 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(10-25-2011 08:58 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(10-25-2011 07:58 AM)Liquid Wrote:  

Hasn't America been in the middle or a mixed-market economy for the past at least a hundred years? Lol look at the success of that.

It's been slightly mixed, not much though, just enough to keep the corporations from screwing the people more than they are.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-25-2011 09:01 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

What's so bad about how it has been? I'd rather live in the last few hundred years than during the periods when monarchy rained...

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
10-25-2011 11:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-24-2011 01:21 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  Yet many people fail to realize that the public and private sectors both feed off of each other. One cannot exist without the other.

Explain why I need the government to take money from me every time I buy something from a store. Explain why some assholes I have nothing to do with get a cut of the pay I get for doing a job. They're not putting people's stupid sandwiches together; I am. And I already get paid barely anything, so god stupid fuck state and federal income tax GTFO.

I used to work at Subway. I don't anymore.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-25-2011 12:08 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-25-2011 11:50 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  What's so bad about how it has been? I'd rather live in the last few hundred years than during the periods when monarchy rained...

Those times sucked ass but we can admit one thing heh.
Population was well maintained. Rofl

Prince Rilian: Can I ask why you don't work at subway anymore please?

image hosting jpg
10-25-2011 12:23 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-25-2011 12:23 PM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  Prince Rilian: Can I ask why you don't work at subway anymore please?

Why do you want to know?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-25-2011 12:56 PM
thriller222 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(10-25-2011 12:08 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  
(10-24-2011 01:21 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  Yet many people fail to realize that the public and private sectors both feed off of each other. One cannot exist without the other.

Explain why I need the government to take money from me every time I buy something from a store. Explain why some assholes I have nothing to do with get a cut of the pay I get for doing a job. They're not putting people's stupid sandwiches together; I am. And I already get paid barely anything, so god stupid fuck state and federal income tax GTFO.

Yeah fuck the government, I dont need no regulations saying how safe the sandwich I'm making should be. If some asshole gets food poisoning, fuck them, they knew they were taking a risk. Fuck the government, they try to make working conditions better for me.

Yes, the government can be bad, but when ever they actually try something good(which is rare), idiots always halt its progress. I know your situation, my parents are almost out of business because of taxes. Maybe if people who had more money were taxed more, you would have less of a burden. No you cant have that, because you defend these people, the people who pay such a tiny amount compared to you or me.
10-25-2011 12:58 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-25-2011 12:56 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  
(10-25-2011 12:23 PM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  Prince Rilian: Can I ask why you don't work at subway anymore please?

Why do you want to know?

I was just curious..
Sorry if it offended you.

thriller222: Not to mention the chemicals and other bullshit they already put in our food and drink to improve its taste.
Reason why americans are so fat and unhealthy.

image hosting jpg
10-25-2011 01:05 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-25-2011 12:58 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  

Yeah fuck the government, I dont need no regulations saying how safe the sandwich I'm making should be. If some asshole gets food poisoning, fuck them, they knew they were taking a risk. Fuck the government, they try to make working conditions better for me.
Benevolent dictator. It doesn't matter what good they seem to do, because I did not agree to it. A private agency could do the same job, probably better.

Quote:Yes, the government can be bad, but when ever they actually try something good(which is rare), idiots always halt its progress.
Example?
Quote:I know your situation, my parents are almost out of business because of taxes. Maybe if people who had more money were taxed more, you would have less of a burden. No you cant have that, because you defend these people, the people who pay such a tiny amount compared to you or me.

I don't think ANYONE should pay taxes have money stolen from them.

You're falling for it. Just because the gubment took something over, now you think the gubment is the only ones who can do it.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-25-2011 01:07 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(10-25-2011 12:58 PM)thriller222 Wrote:  

Yes, the government can be bad, but when ever they actually try something good(which is rare), idiots always halt its progress. I know your situation, my parents are almost out of business because of taxes. Maybe if people who had more money were taxed more, you would have less of a burden. No you cant have that, because you defend these people, the people who pay such a tiny amount compared to you or me.

The government not putting regulations on food doesn't mean we are all going to die of food poisoning. There are still ways to ensure that food will be safe. Before government started to intervene, journalists would report on where food comes from. There are also ways the private sector can investigate food too.
Quote:Fuck the government, they try to make working conditions better for me.
The government doesn't give any more of a flying fuck about you or me than coorporations do. Minimum wage laws weren't made because our government cares about the poor. They were put into effect to keep minorities out of the workforce.

10-25-2011 04:00 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(10-25-2011 04:00 PM)gore goroth Wrote:  They were put into effect to keep minorities out of the workforce.

Really? I've never heard that before. Do elaborate.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

10-25-2011 04:05 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

(10-25-2011 04:05 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  
(10-25-2011 04:00 PM)gore goroth Wrote:  They were put into effect to keep minorities out of the workforce.

Skip to question 12 on this site.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/libertarian/faq/
During the time of the Jim Crow era, many people who weren't white were unskilled workers since they couldn't afford college. Most of them couldn't read or write and they had to settle for jobs for low pay. When minumum wage was raised, those businesses couldn't afford to function and pay the workers higher wages so they shut down; therefore, keeping minorities unemployed. Unemployment went up because the businesses couldn't afford to pay minimum wage.

10-25-2011 04:22 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

^I just realized o.O
Thanks..

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
10-25-2011 04:59 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Quote:The government not putting regulations on food doesn't mean we are all going to die of food poisoning. There are still ways to ensure that food will be safe. Before government started to intervene, journalists would report on where food comes from. There are also ways the private sector can investigate food too.

Exactly. Companies will still be heavily pressured to make sure their food is healthy. There would also likely be a few major food regulation companies. Their reputation would hinge on how well they regulate the food that is spread through the population. So they would also ant to make sure it was healthy.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-26-2011 02:28 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

(10-25-2011 04:22 PM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(10-25-2011 04:05 PM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  

Skip to question 12 on this site.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/libertarian/faq/
During the time of the Jim Crow era, many people who weren't white were unskilled workers since they couldn't afford college. Most of them couldn't read or write and they had to settle for jobs for low pay. When minumum wage was raised, those businesses couldn't afford to function and pay the workers higher wages so they shut down; therefore, keeping minorities unemployed. Unemployment went up because the businesses couldn't afford to pay minimum wage.

Hmmm I think that was more of an unintended consequence than a direct objective. But either way, every time the minimum wage goes up so does the price of most basic necessities. This is particularly true with food prices, since most supermarkets that supply food pay their employees minimum wage, they have to make up that cost some how.
10-26-2011 06:41 AM