RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And So It Begins – The First Major European Bank Has Been Bailed Out
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
And So It Begins – The First Major European Bank Has Been Bailed Out

Quote:And so it begins. The first major European bank bailout of 2011 has now happened. French/Belgian banking giant Dexia has failed and both governments have pledged to participate in a rescue plan. But Dexia will not be the last major European bank to fail. Even now, governments all over Europe are feverishly developing plans to bail out major national banks in the event that the current financial crisis goes from bad to worse. Instead of learning the lessons of 2008, most major European banks have continued to pile up huge mountains of debt, leverage and risk. Now the bill for that stupidity is about to be passed on to the taxpayers of those nations. But with most nations in Europe already drowning in debt, are bank bailouts really the right course of action? What is it going to happen to Europe if dozens of major banks start failing and trillions of euros are needed to bail them all out?

Dexia is the first victim of the new credit crunch. It got to the point where Dexia simply could not get access to the funding that it needed in the credit markets.

We are starting to see this all over Europe. Nobody wants to loan much money to European banks right now because it is unclear what is going to happen next in Europe and it is uncertain which banks are stable and which are on the verge of collapse.

This is so similar to what happened back in 2008.

But Dexia is not going to be "the next Lehman Brothers" because the governments of France and Belgium are stepping in to save Dexia from collapse.

A recent article in the Financial Post described how the rescue of Dexia is likely to proceed....

Quote:Dexia will effectively be broken up, with the sale of healthier operations while toxic assets, including Greek and other peripheral euro zone government bonds, will be placed in a state-supported “bad bank.”

The details of the plan will be negotiated over the coming days, but authorities are making it clear that Dexia is not going to be allowed to collapse. Bank of France Governor Christian Noyer is assuring everyone that Dexia is going to have access to plenty of liquidity....

It appears that the "too big to fail" doctrine is alive and well in Europe.

Sadly, this is not the first time that Dexia has been bailed out. France and Belgium also bailed out Dexia back in 2008.

But this was not supposed to happen.

Just three months ago, Dexia received "a clean bill of health" from regulators during European Union bank stress testing.

It just shows how credible those "stress tests" really are.

So are more European bank bailouts coming?

It certainly looks that way.

An article in the Financial Post on Tuesday stated the following....

Quote:European finance ministers agreed on Tuesday to prepare action to safeguard their banks as doubts grew about whether a planned second bailout package for debt-laden Greece would go ahead.

Of course when they talk about the need "to safeguard their banks" they are talking about those that are deemed "too big to fail". Just like in the United States, banks that are "too small" don't get bailed out at all.

But western governments are very protective of the big banks. The big banks are allowed to take gigantic risks, and if they succeed they make tons of money and if they fail then the taxpayers bail them out.

With big trouble on the horizon in Europe, authorities are already getting ready to bail out the major banks. A Bloomberg article from last month acknowledged that the German government has been very busy getting ready to bail out their major banks in the event that a Greek default becomes a reality....

As you read this, there are already signs of trouble at major German banks. For example, Deutsche Bank has just announced that it is eliminating 500 more jobs.

The fundamental problems that Europe is facing are not being solved and the financial crisis is getting progressively worse. With each passing day, more bad financial news comes pouring in.

For example, Moody’s slashed Italy’s bond ratings by three levels on Tuesday.

A reduction of just one level is very serious business. For Moody's to hit Italy that hard is a really big deal.

Italian banks have also been targeted by the credit rating agencies. The other day, S&P slashed the credit ratings of seven different Italian banks.

If Italy goes down, it is going to be an absolute nightmare. The Italian economy absolutely dwarfs the Greek economy. The EU has been really struggling to bail out Greece, and there is no way in the world that they would be able to bail out Italy.

So if nations such as Italy or Spain start collapsing, will the U.S. Federal Reserve step in to help bail them out?

You never know.

the Federal Reserve has agreed to join with other major central banks to lend hundreds of billions of dollars to major European banks in October, November and December.

As the past few years have shown, wherever big, global banks are in trouble, the Federal Reserve is sure to step in and help.

And many big banks in Europe are definitely headed for trouble. Right now, European banks are holding more than $4 trillion in European sovereign debt.

Quote:http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archi...are-coming

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-10-2011 03:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: And So It Begins – The First Major European Bank Has Been Bailed Out

I'm all for giving people back the money they lost, but I kinda get the impression "bailing out" means keeping the bank running... or am I missing something?

Also, this kinda shit is why I keep my money spread out across 2 bank accounts... I'd get more but that'd probably just be too much of an annoyance to keep track of.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-10-2011 03:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

You'd think the Europeans would learn from us. The government should not be bailing out companies. It is interfering with the market. Sucks for the people who put their money in the bank and sucks for the bank and it's workers.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-10-2011 03:48 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-10-2011 03:48 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  You'd think the Europeans would learn from us. The government should not be bailing out companies. It is interfering with the market. Sucks for the people who put their money in the bank and sucks for the bank and it's workers.

Very much agreed.

image hosting jpg
10-10-2011 05:17 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(10-10-2011 05:17 AM)HeartofShadows Wrote:  
(10-10-2011 03:48 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  You'd think the Europeans would learn from us. The government should not be bailing out companies. It is interfering with the market. Sucks for the people who put their money in the bank and sucks for the bank and it's workers.

Very much agreed.

Thumbsup

Also I don't want people to think I have no empathy for those who had their money in the banks that failed. My dad's business went down the drain and our house was almost lost and he almost had to sell his business. The government did not care and continued to threaten to take action for unpaid taxes. Luckily my dad pulled himself out of the hole. Still teetering on the edge but better than being in it. To be honest the government was right not to involve itself in my dad's business. Just like they should have let the banks die.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-10-2011 05:54 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-10-2011 03:48 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Thumbsup

Also I don't want people to think I have no empathy for those who had their money in the banks that failed. My dad's business went down the drain and our house was almost lost and he almost had to sell his business. The government did not care and continued to threaten to take action for unpaid taxes. Luckily my dad pulled himself out of the hole. Still teetering on the edge but better than being in it. To be honest the government was right not to involve itself in my dad's business. Just like they should have let the banks die.

I understand but if people want to preach about the free market then let the big boys fail too and deal with the negatives. Though nowadays big business and the government aren't so different anymore so I use free market lightly and I had a dad who works for general motors and I didn't like it when they bailed them out either to make more cars people will not buy.

image hosting jpg
10-10-2011 09:02 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

It's not a free market if bank aren't free to fail. The money in the banks is insured by the government anyway.

If big business fails it should die and allow newer, healthier business to take it's place. Bailing them out is bad for the economy in the long-term. It's just corrupt politicians using the People's money to save the corps that give their campaigns money so they can stay in power. It's the People's money, and it should be used for the welfare of the People. The Government does not have the right to hand out the People's Money to corporations.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 03:45 AM by Liquid.)
10-11-2011 03:39 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

If a business doesn't provide enough value and goes bankrupt, that's their own fault and they should not be bailed out... because nothing of value was lost. Same with banks I guess, except people can get kinda screwed over in the process there...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-11-2011 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Not really, most banks are FDIC insured... Meaning each individual bank account is backed up by the government in case of failure. The bank should be allowed to fail, and the insurance money should go to those who lost their savings/account balances...

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 11:39 AM by Absnt.)
10-11-2011 11:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Germany Wants New European Constitution: “There Are New Centers Of Power In The World HeartofShadows 1 1,453 03-13-2012 09:55 AM
Last Post: Aya
  Major Game Publishers Onboard with SOPA and Protect IP Act gore goroth 13 5,038 01-29-2012 08:39 PM
Last Post: fish20
  Russia's Plan to Disrupt U.S.-European Relations Reptorian 1 1,916 12-24-2011 08:53 AM
Last Post: Reptorian
  Bank Fees? HeartofShadows 14 5,933 11-19-2011 04:04 AM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Feds Is Using Your Money To Bail Out European banks again HeartofShadows 18 5,796 11-03-2011 08:21 AM
Last Post: Liquid
  SWAT Teams in St. Louis Protecting Bank of America; Refusing Customer Withdrawals HeartofShadows 6 3,235 10-07-2011 03:01 AM
Last Post: Elfy
  European police on alert for Wikileaks founder HeartofShadows 12 2,791 12-03-2010 01:45 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  when live begins classclown 23 5,155 06-06-2009 03:36 PM
Last Post: psychopath