RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pro-school idiots
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
Pro-school idiots

A thread to share serious conversation that turned out not to be serious.

ReptillianSP2011 is my deviantart account
----

~ReptillianSP2011 4 days ago
Shocking since the typical american attitude is to support the poor quality public school system. I'd have to agree with you even though I am very anti-school in nature to the point where anyone will tell me to support public school will get a callous response from me and I will ignore those guys for the rest of my entire life.

*Anonmynous 2 days ago
How can one be "anti-school"? This concept confuses and enrages me.

~ReptillianSP2011 2 days ago
One can simply be considered anti-school by not bringing much support (if any support) for the compulsory school system. Anti-school isn't the lack of support for education. An anti-schooler that supports education supports libraries, proper usage of the internet for learning purposes by the wills of themselves, life experiences, experimental thinking, and exploration although they disregard the idea that learning certain subjects has to be forced with coercion and having them to be forced to do tasks against their own wills. All I can learn under the school's system is how humanity typically behaves and why are humans the way they are, but I learned math/science/english/art and other stuff in my own time rather than in school since it doesn't work out in there. I can bring you up testimonies regarding people's experience into schools and bring you up why people can be anti-school. By the way, the OP is pro-school as stated in the fact that she typed that she likes school.

*Anonmynous 2 days ago
So, basically, you just don't like going to school. There are words for that particular condition, naive being one of them.

Right, coming from a person who won't attempt to understand the perspective that goes against your belief. I understand the exact reason for your sentiment. You might wanna read some of this- http://learninfreedom.org/Nobel_hates_school.html

I have to ask you this though, what it is naive about support education and challenging the idea of the compulsory school system? I seen plenty of people who are missing out in basic knowledge in 11th grade regarding basic math/science/ and things like that. Also, I have seen plenty of graduates admitting they were wrong about their own future after they claim their fantasies of the future will be true. I seen it all myself. Even my mother admits her situation isn't exactly what she wanted and she's very pro-school herself. I live with a pro-school family myself.

*Anonmynous 2 days ago
I don't need to understand your perspective, I've lived your perspective. We were all teenagers once, you know. Some of us decided that we didn't want to be teenagers anymore so we grew up.

Fighting the system serves no purpose. The primary argument against such a system is that people succeed without it, usually followed by the listing of the 10 or so relevant people who have made it without a GED, as though that counters any pro-education argument. The reality is that you won't get jobs without a GED. It's just that simple. No job means no money, which means you get to live with your parents forever. You know what everyone calls people who live with their parents forever? Failures.

People who graduate from post-secondary establishments say things like "oh I was wrong to think that everything would be daisies and unicorns forever with a degree" because they've learned that life isn't fucking daisies and fucking unicorns, derp. That's what you get at school, a broader understanding of life.

The thing is some people chooses not to change their perspective regarding schools though they can still have a realistic viewpoint of the world today.

That's just one branch of the arguments against the school system though what's really behind the anti-school v. pro-school debates is discussing how efficient the learning might goes through and whether it is ethical to send people against their wills to go into school without letting them have the choice on the matter. Education is subjective and there's many more variation of the definition of education than school if you look into the dictionary, my definition of education is simply enlightening experience which is experience that may help individuals understands more about the world around them. Some people haven't went through school during their 18th years of their own life and still have went to college because they have at least shown outstanding evidence they're a component individual, in a way that counters the pro-school argument that one must need school to learn (I can give examples if you wish, I have plenty of anti-school resources).

Yes, you're right that people needs some form of certificates in order to continue on with life and I certainly approve of certificates/forms like work evaluation forms, GED, and other stuff as long as it can be considered relevant to what they're doing and it does show they're willing to work even though there's no real evidence they're capable of doing it without some work experience (but even there, they still need to show some signs they went through work like a component individual). I have never denied that at all. Heck, even the school-survival (plenty of anti-school members there, but right now the forum is a shitfest. Some decent one like Absentomaniac is still there which is good.) members does agree that we need certificates in order to continue on with life.

Yes, everything wouldn't be looking like daisies after understanding the complications that arises from the issues regarding humanity today and understanding life can only go so far. Some people learned that outside of school using the internet and reading news. My point is that one doesn't need to go to school to understand about life and other matters. That can be learned outside of school alone.

I won't lie though. I did learn the negative sides of humanity in schools myself and the typical behaviors of humans. Thanks goodness, the internet is here just to balance my views of humanity. That what schools taught me.

*Anonmynous 1 hour ago
Then school has taught you nothing, and you've doomed yourself to this life that you have arbitrarily decided to be superior to all others. Oh well, it's no skin off my back.

----

Got to love pro-school idiots

If anyone wants to join, then PM me so that I can get you to the conversation.

ZZZ...
06-14-2011 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: Pro-school idiots

Jesus christ, people need to do some research before making up their minds about shit like this. I would help, but it's one in the morning and I'm off to bed.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
06-14-2011 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Bleh... he is the one being arrogant. A lot of people who go through school don't even want to think of the possibility that so much of their time was wasted on bullshit. So they defend school as much as possible... the reality is too bleak for them to accept.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
06-14-2011 03:38 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Holy hell that guy was like speaking to a brick wall
06-14-2011 07:41 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:A lot of people who go through school don't even want to think of the possibility that so much of their time was wasted on bullshit. So they defend school as much as possible... the reality is too bleak for them to accept.
This, pretty much. Arrogant people annoy me immensely.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-15-2011 06:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:
UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:A lot of people who go through school don't even want to think of the possibility that so much of their time was wasted on bullshit. So they defend school as much as possible... the reality is too bleak for them to accept.
This, pretty much. Arrogant people annoy me immensely.

Same here.

Previously known as Derchin.
06-15-2011 07:49 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Fuck, the man sounds just like Asder. Yuck

Quote:How can one be "anti-school"? This concept confuses and enrages me.

Perhaps you're just ignorant of other people's ideas. Typical.

Quote:So, basically, you just don't like going to school. There are words for that particular condition, naive being one of them.

For me yes, but yet you're ignorant as to why I don't want to go. If you have to deal with the nagging teachers, annoying kids, pointless work, you'd get tired of it too.

Quote:I don't need to understand your perspective, I've lived your perspective. We were all teenagers once, you know. Some of us decided that we didn't want to be teenagers anymore so we grew up.

Fighting the system serves no purpose. The primary argument against such a system is that people succeed without it, usually followed by the listing of the 10 or so relevant people who have made it without a GED, as though that counters any pro-education argument. The reality is that you won't get jobs without a GED. It's just that simple. No job means no money, which means you get to live with your parents forever. You know what everyone calls people who live with their parents forever? Failures.

People who graduate from post-secondary establishments say things like "oh I was wrong to think that everything would be daisies and unicorns forever with a degree" because they've learned that life isn't fucking daisies and fucking unicorns, derp. That's what you get at school, a broader understanding of life.

Then school has taught you nothing, and you've doomed yourself to this life that you have arbitrarily decided to be superior to all others. Oh well, it's no skin off my back.

Again, you're ignorant and arrogant.

Watch this

Read this

Previously known as Derchin.
06-15-2011 08:04 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:Bleh... he is the one being arrogant. A lot of people who go through school don't even want to think of the possibility that so much of their time was wasted on bullshit. So they defend school as much as possible... the reality is too bleak for them to accept.

People tend to resort to denial until it has become part of them as a defense mechanism.

ZZZ...
06-15-2011 08:26 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Quote:Fighting the system serves no purpose. The primary argument against such a system is that people succeed without it, usually followed by the listing of the 10 or so relevant people who have made it without a GED, as though that counters any pro-education argument. The reality is that you won't get jobs without a GED. It's just that simple. No job means no money, which means you get to live with your parents forever. You know what everyone calls people who live with their parents forever? Failures.
None Jawdrop

You can't be serious. That's a passive defeatist attitude. What's wrong with living with your parents? YOU'RE FUCKING SCUM!

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
06-15-2011 10:51 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

~manicrose4443 1 day ago
I don't wanna start a huge argument but seriously:

"Some of us decided that we didn't want to be teenagers anymore so we grew up. Fighting the system serves no purpose." <<what you wrote is so sad, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way because you're pro-school but that's how I read it: "There's no use fighting back against crappy "education" because we've got to grow up and accept it." No, it's really just that you all grew up and don't have to deal with it anymore so you don't really care.

"That's what you get at school, a broader understanding of life." With all the one-sided view and discouragement of independent thought? I don't think so.
------------
*Anonmynous 2 hours ago
What? That's fucking stupid. We grew up so we don't have to care about things like education? Uh, no. Clearly, you are in serious need of some growing up.

There is only one side to this argument, the other side is wrong. Duh.
--------------
-Response 1 to above-

~manicrose4443 1 hour ago
Hmm? Wha - oh, sorry, I was done.

"There is only one side to this argument, the other side is wrong. Duh." Apparently that's *your* point of view on the matter. Your response to my arguments with such intelligent points as "That's fucking stupid" make me think that you're the one who has to grow up.

Good luck with that. Don't forget to keep me posted on your progress.
---------
-Response 2 to above-
~ReptillianSP2011 2 minutes ago

What? That's fucking stupid. We grew up so we don't have to care about things like education? Uh, no. Clearly, you are in serious need of some growing up.-Anonmynous Quote

Rept's response to quote above-Very much wrong. We do actually care for education, but we're not going for support school for the reason that it coerced certain individuals against their will creating unnecessary amount of conflicts and stress inflicted the consequences of forced schooling and not the mention there's a lot of things that has gone on the school system which shown they have infringed upon human rights. We support enlightening experiences and we do support people spreading educational information. Manicrose is a young woman who enjoys reading books, how does that not sound like she doesn't support education?

There is only one side to this argument, the other side is wrong. Duh.-Anonmynous' Quote

Rept's response to quote above-Spoken like a ignorant individual who ignores everybody else that thinks against her own viewpoint. You just won't accept that the other side do have powerful arguments and examples. I can bring you a thread which has a heated 25+ pages of debates regarding anti-school vs pro-school. Why don't we start on an actual debate than stating each others' viewpoint and beliefs like we did in the past right now? State your thesis statement and bring point for your arguments. Take all the time you wish on the start. I will be waiting to get you a rebuttal.

ZZZ...
06-15-2011 03:56 PM
Fanatic

Quote:There is only one side to this argument, the other side is wrong. Duh.

He is either a troll or a complete and utter moron... either way there is no point in debating with him any longer.

Live until you die
06-15-2011 06:42 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

He is either a troll or a complete and utter moron... either way there is no point in debating with him any longer.

According to the post history on deviantart, she is a utter moron.

ZZZ...
06-16-2011 01:34 AM
Fanatic

VisualStyly Wrote:
UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

According to the post history on deviantart, she is a utter moron.

You could continue to argue with her... but it will probably just be frustrating to you. People that say shit like that are too fucking stupid.

Live until you die
06-16-2011 01:36 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Aaand to close the argument off, he has blocked me. How sporting of him.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
06-16-2011 08:03 AM
UltraRobot Offline
I need you to escape.

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Pretty much all pro-school idiots are unbelievably close-minded people.

[Image: gPE89.gif]

[Image: DeusExTestSign.jpg]

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein

"Within a few years a simple and inexpensive device, readily carried about, will enable one to receive on land or sea the principal news, to hear a speech, a lecture, a song or play of a musical instrument, conveyed from any other region of the globe." - Nikola Tesla
06-16-2011 11:46 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Twilight has something to say

Watch on YouTube

And on that video, I completed the 26th episode today.

War is stupid.
06-17-2011 06:38 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

[Image: 269.png]
FUCKING PONIES
06-17-2011 06:45 AM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

UltraRobot Wrote:Pretty much all pro-school idiots are unbelievably close-minded people.

Tell me about it.

ZZZ...
06-17-2011 11:08 AM
Fanatic

flann Wrote:Twilight has something to say

Watch on YouTube

When I see ponies I just want to......

[Image: tumblr_lklg7qbX8I1qffn17o1_500.gif]

Live until you die
06-17-2011 11:16 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Quote:So, basically, you just don't like going to school. There are words for that particular condition, naive being one of them.

That, right there, is the kind of ignorance that is making it hard to get through anyones skull. People hear any anti school arguement and assume "they just don't want to go to school" which completely belittles any valid points we make. While there is obviously truth that we don't want to go to school, they overlook that we have actually have good reasons for not wanting to go, unlike them who just spout arrogant BS.
06-17-2011 03:20 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

blah can't stand to read after a few sentences. hate that shit about growing up, and we were all teenagers once, if everyone hates school, god maybe there's something wrong with it.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
06-17-2011 04:55 PM
Pashupati Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Not all anti-(compulsory-)school people are teenagers; even if it was the case, it'd be ageist to dismiss their argument for that reason.
Some anti-(compulsory-)school people actually like(d) going to school, such as Catherine Baker.
06-17-2011 08:55 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Pashupati Wrote:Not all anti-(compulsory-)school people are teenagers; even if it was the case, it'd be ageist to dismiss their argument for that reason.
It reminds me of when I tried to give an argument for why there shouldn't be homework and got drowned out by laughter. Nevermind the fact that some psychologists agree with me >>
Quote:Some anti-(compulsory-)school people actually like(d) going to school, such as Catherine Baker.
I liked school for many years. Before I started hating it myself, I realized that other people should not be forced to be there. My german teacher would yell at the students to do the work, and I told her, they don't want to be here, so just leave them alone. She said they would disrupt the ones who wanted to work, but there were only 3 of us who actually wanted to work and we all 3 agreed they were not bothering us by talking, so that was the end of it. : )

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
06-18-2011 04:21 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

But that was basically my reaction. I was like 'Common Sense plawx'

War is stupid.
06-18-2011 02:32 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)
RE: Pro-school idiots

(06-17-2011 11:16 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  
flann Wrote:Twilight has something to say

Watch on YouTube

When I see ponies I just want to......

[Image: tumblr_lklg7qbX8I1qffn17o1_500.gif]
When I see that attitude towards ponies I just want to
[Image: ben_t__looney___bored_by_megaman511again-d6jpnzm.png]

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
09-29-2013 01:46 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Pro-school idiots

Make a cartoon image of yourself?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
09-29-2013 02:21 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

(09-29-2013 02:21 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Make a cartoon image of yourself?
1. That isn't me, that's an obscure YouTuber whose channel name is Benthelooney
2. I was supposed to be saying that I felt like making that face, but I can't do it.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013 02:26 PM by KFC Nyan Cat.)
09-29-2013 02:24 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Pro-school idiots

Course not. What human face can create such sharp angles! Razz

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
09-29-2013 02:31 PM
Christian Hellhound Offline
Hellhound in a human body.

Given 51 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

I want to throw a brick at these brainwashed, school-loving idiots...

"No matter what I do, it'll probably forever remain a pipe dream that will never come true,
but the fire burning in my heart cannot be doused by anyone.
Even if the black rain falling from the sky drenches me completely and doesn't stop,
I will never allow the fire in my heart to be extinguished. That, is my 'pride'."
- Core Pride
09-29-2013 09:30 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Pro-school idiots

What kind of brick?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-30-2013 03:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How lazy are these idiots? Roboka 7 4,672 09-29-2013 01:32 PM
Last Post: KFC Nyan Cat
  u people are idiots schoolisntbad 57 18,143 09-27-2013 11:36 AM
Last Post: James Comey