RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed?
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed?

The more I try explaining and writing about "anti-school people who like learning," the more I find myself looking for a good, re-usable word for this group.

Why a word? It's unnecessary when talking amongst ourselves, but it becomes very useful when trying to get the public to see us as a legitimate class of people who are worthy of consideration. It's crazy that, as individuals, we are often not taken seriously, just because what we're about isn't well-described by any of the stereotypes in people's minds ("honor student", "lazy dropout", "troubled youth", "school phobic", "gifted but learning disabled," "whining teenager," "druggie," "ADHD," "just difficult.") There's no positive or even neutral category in most people's brains for someone who resents forced schooling AND wants to and does pursue learning on their own terms AND is not doomed to "flip burgers" AND therefore should be listened to, not punished or treated for being this way. In order for things to change, this concept must be created!

Ultimately, there should be books, articles, and/or films about us that most teachers, psychologists, and even the general public know about, so that when they meet or hear about someone with these characteristics, instead of being confused, dismissive, or angry, they can say "oh, it's one of THESE interesting creatures." And likewise, when someone who has felt that way for years, maybe feeling alone and never really understood by their friends, parents, and teachers, can say "I'm one of THESE interesting creatures."

The thing is... the term "anti-school" doesn't work for this purpose. Some people hate school out of pure laziness and disinterest in learning, and that's not who I'm referring to. Some people like aspects of school -- maybe they have a good teacher, or college is acceptable whereas they hated high school. Maybe they're even a good student and want to stay in school but they still basically question the whole thing and still learn outside of school and see beyond its limited purpose. And "anti-school" is too negative.

Maybe there doesn't even need to be one word. Maybe a phrase. Maybe multiple words or phrases. Maybe, just an idealized character that people could make reference to.

Ideas?
05-04-2009 12:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: craxyguy562

Messages In This Thread
What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - xcriteria - 05-04-2009 12:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Bug Mom HATES me Lucas Gallindo 7 4,521 01-09-2017 01:57 AM
Last Post: stevehein
  Promoting learning outside of school. Desu 11 5,904 04-15-2016 12:11 PM
Last Post: Small Axe