Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Analogist's Musings on Education
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 358 thank(s) in 213 post(s)
RE: the Analogist's Musings on Education

Inventory

Something quite interesting about Alcoholics Anonymous was taught to me by a work buddy of mine. I like for math purposes describing him as follows: He was older than me when he got sober, and he's been sober for longer than I've been born. He continues to describe himself as a recovering alcoholic. I love that.

So inventory is essentially tracing the things you think back to their origins. In other words, how I've described the structure of human thought and action, you take some attitude of yours and ask yourself why you believe it to be true, exacting honesty in the way that only the Arabic word khalasa can incorporate. Khalasa means to be honest, to be sincere, to finish, to purify. Indeed when we are truly honest with ourselves we let go of ideological burdens, we solve a lot of problems that way.

I had to confront a few realities about myself lately, some of my ideas disappeared, but a lot of them remained. Let me explain.

I have a problem being really attracted to women and if I let myself my imagination runs. Because of this attraction it is very hard for me to take especially hot women seriously as people, as people with minds. This will continue to be the case. I don't think there is anything wrong with me. Some men can perhaps cope with female company, but this just doesn't work for me.

BUT, my prejudice against women was totally separate from that, and THAT has changed, though my social preferences will continue to be avoid women generally.

SoulRiser, the mother/daughter team who came up with the Meyer's/Briggs tests, the inventor of computer language, and the fact that Moses would not have been who he was without three very important women in his life, wasn't really quite enough to truly convince me of women are as capable of thought as men. Me being a man and being awesome was the foundation of this prejudice.

SO, I decided to finally listen to one of YouTube's suggestions and LISTEN, but not watch this video. Like I said, my eyes need to be ignorant of the lady for me to properly take them seriously. Besides, I can't really look much anyway while doing dishes...

Watch on YouTube

So it was interesting. My prediction about her tone and message based on her appearance was actually pretty accurate, which was why I never bothered to listen to her speech before because "I knew what it was about". Of course I didn't know what it was going to include and I thought this was a pretty interesting lecture from a woman.

I've found with my wife especially, there really does seem to be a difference between a feminine and masculine brain. Maybe its personality and not gender... idk tbh, I really haven't bothered to spend much time with any of those ideas. They don't really interest me.

So then I thought one good turn deserves another, so I listened to this video, again suggested by YouTube:

Watch on YouTube

I thought she was cuter and so I took longer to finally just say, alright I should probably listen to this video too. I found it fascinating to listen to a person who is basically an experienced unschooling mother whose mind is not keen on philosophy in any obvious way. She seemed like a plain lady that maybe just effectively reflected, or did inventory on her childhood and her ideas on parenting.

THIS, by the way, is why I say the true heart of an education is literally, but really metaphorically, the heart! Honesty really just means that your not going to believe something wrong. You will not let the impurity of stupidity or evil to corrupt your mind. You may not be stuck in your head like me, perhaps capable of writing several books maybe, but there is nothing in the way of you and competency except the opportunity to try. I really felt like a great chance to listen to a regular person just pouring a well cared for heart out. I listened to another one too:

Watch on YouTube

I think there are a lot of people like her, wise enough to not give themselves credit, not a philosopher, but honest enough to take benefit from anything good and true. Honesty/sincerity is the foundation upon which you work within wisdom or intellect, that is effectively differentiating between good and bad ideas. When somebody thinks taxing the rich less and taking away health care from the elderly and poor is a good and important thing to do, its not because their brain has a fail, it because the engine running that brain is a corrupted heart filled with too much of itself to allow other people's pain in. I think that is the great genius of Charles Xavier the symbolic character who literally can feel your pain. Those immune or apathetic to the suffering of others should never be in charge.

I think the natural inclinations of a women and a mother to empathize and respond to their kids needs is something some mothers get away from, but she actually listened to her inner voice and let her instincts command her instead of putting ultimately somebody else's brain in charge of which instincts of hers she would listen to or not.

By listening to these lectures I felt like I learned something about myself. I really need to value my wife more, and my daughter more, especially as my daughter gets older. I always assumed that my daughter would be one of those strong sharp ones that kinda wonders what's wrong with other women, but being completely fair, If I do my job as a parent even half-right, all my kids growing up in the US will probably look at almost everyone curiously asking "what's the deal with these people".

I am also even more confident in general human potential. Not because of the great things she said her son has done, but for the fact that somebody like her could just be easily dismissed, even by my supposedly genius dumb-ass, when what she has to offer humanity is extremely great. Regular people are still humans, and are far more important than any of them realize. For me, this just makes grading them ever, all the more heinous of a crime.

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
04-30-2017 02:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: the Analogist's Musings on Education - the Analogist - 04-30-2017 02:25 PM