RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The link between school and suicide
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)
RE: The link between school and suicide

I worked on a Crisis Hotline for a number of years and the only pattern I saw was a big increase in suicides in March. However, I did not speak with many young people as I suspect they were less inclined to call someone.

I have observed three types of suicide.

1. Event. There can be a traumatic event that triggers the contemplation of suicide.
2. Disconnect. A person may feel that most of what he thought his life was has changed.
3. Inevitable. A person may have depression or mental illness that makes this seem the only option.

The type of suicide described by number two is more common for young people. You can see it often with military people. When people cannot easily relate to others, ask for help, or feel that there is no place in which they fit, they can be overcome with a feeling of hopelessness.

Young people also have an additional difficulty. There is a human characteristic that affects how we perceive time. You can tell a three year old, "Yes, you can have a cookie tomorrow". The child is perplexed because he hears the word "yes" and "cookie" but he has no cookie. The word "tomorrow" is too abstract for him. His world of reality is about five minutes in the future and the past. When he is in high school, his world of reality expands to about two weeks in the future and in the past. When he is eighty years old, things that happen 40 years earlier may seem quite real to him.

Young people have a more intense focus on the immediate than many older people appreciate. This intensity can amplify a feeling of disconnection and hopeless.

Young people have an additional difficulty in that they have limited personal experience of other social environments. If a family melts down or a school situation goes south, there can seem no possibility of a solution or a better life because there is no personal experience that can bolster one through difficulty.

The doctor, pastor, therapist, counselor, or administrator may seem eager to help, but only insofar as to package a person so that they can be processed by the organization that pays their salary. What usually helps someone through a dark period is a real friend.

An additional problem for young people is that they are often just discovering the difference between a real friend and the superficial activity that frequently passes for friendship. A disconnect can occur when they have no real friend and have to deal with feelings of overwhelming hopelessness all by themselves.
03-28-2014 12:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , rockstarjim22 , Trar , The man

Messages In This Thread
RE: The link between school and suicide - timf - 03-28-2014 12:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Link to your first post! UnschoolShqiponjë 20 5,779 04-25-2017 03:34 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Link to Mystery's Seduction Seminar. ~Mystery~ 9 2,634 06-01-2009 01:57 PM
Last Post: psychopath
  There used to be a link... Aviator 14 2,533 04-10-2009 06:33 AM