RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An idea for learning spanish.
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
An idea for learning spanish.

I have this idea for a way to learn spanish, mainly vocabulary.

After you know some spanish (or any other language) it's easier to learn more words by seeing or hearing them in context, because you have something to connect them to in your mind. But isn't it boring as fuck when you don't know any words at all so you have to start out reading shit like

Luís: Hola, Roberto. ¿Cómo estás?
Roberto: Bien, gracias, ¿y tú?
Luís: Regular.

Anyway, I fucking hate it. So what if there's a story, what if it's a story that you want to read anyway, like a harry potter book or something else that's really popular, and throughout the book more and more words are replaced with the spanish equivalent? And there would be a translation to the side or at the bottom of the page the first time a new spanish word is introduced. I think this would be cool because it gives the new words a context to remember them in, and it's a story you're into anyway so you'll be more motivated to read it.

Here's an example I crapped out using the description on the back of some gay little kids book I have:

Quote:Traveling through Europa in the verano of 1901, Mandie y her group llegan in Antwerp, Belgium, where they plan to visit museos de arte as well as do sightseeing around the beautiful ciudad. Mrs. Taft has made it clear that there are to be no more aventuras like Mandie, Celia, y Jonathan have gotten involved with in Francia, Italy, Switzerland, y Germany.

So, do you think this would be an effective way for someone to learn spanish on their own (without a class or tutor), and if so, at what rate should new words be introduced? Also, if I do a whole book to test it out, would anyone who doesn't already know spanish be willing to read it?

If this proves to be feasible, my bestfriend has agreed to write a story for me, so we could actually publish it.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 12:31 PM by Prince Rilian.)
10-29-2011 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
An idea for learning spanish. - Prince Rilian - 10-29-2011 12:29 PM
RE: An idea for learning spanish. - Efs - 11-02-2011, 05:30 AM
RE: An idea for learning spanish. - Krieg - 11-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning Creative Learning 2 (LCL2) - MIT open course xcriteria 5 9,409 03-14-2014 08:06 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Spanish schools laulalagarci 0 1,694 08-30-2013 05:48 PM
Last Post: laulalagarci