RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
age, accountability, and aspirations
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
age, accountability, and aspirations

(Quotes extracted from the GPS tracking thread...)

Doc Johnson Wrote:Yeah, I know, off topic. But it's a little weird being on the board here, being an old man (36), a teacher, and it makes me a little nervous. I'm the freak here, if you follow me. I mean, I guess I'm The Man, if by being a teacher that makes me so. Hard to explain, but I imagine someone out there gets what I mean.
I kind of feel the same way, even though I'm "only" 25. (At least I haven't ended up in an institutional teaching position yet. Smile)

At the same time, I also feel that my participation makes sense, because I can relate to these school issues both in terms of my past and my present, and in terms of what I want to do with my life. I identify with being a learner in search of better methods with which to learn, despite a society that doesn't provide much support for that, for people of any age. This is essentially the same standpoint I've had for as long as I can remember.

Doc Johnson Wrote:I'm here, because I'm an advocate for students...
I'm here both as an advocate for students, and as a student myself. Even though I'm in college (by choice) and it's better than earlier years, some of the same themes of difficulty in self-determination, things moving too slow, etc. still make the situation a struggle (of the not-helpful variety).
I want to help people to learn (I prefer that phrase to "teaching"); but I simply can't see myself working in the sort of organizational structure people usually "teach" in. So I'm trying to figure out what options there are, that can allow me to make a substiantial improvement in some people's lives while earning an income -- without a typical institutional job. Not an easy task, but I think it's possible, due to how much demand there is for alternatives from a certain percentage of the "customers," the students.

Doc Johnson Wrote:I study how the standards-based reform stuff we currently have going in the U.S. is fucked up. Even worse, I think it justifies fucking over anyone who doesn't follow orders well...
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think that the standards movement has some positive aspects (mostly unrealized). The pressure is based on a genuine recognition of the failure of the schools to meet everyone's needs. The desire to "leave no child behind" is a fine starting point, and some accountability can help achieve that. However, the accountability/standards used are SCHOOL-BASED rather than individually based. Schools are accountable, collectively (statistically) to national standards on standardized achievement tests. But shouldn't there be accountability TO THE STUDENTS, individually? While students ought to have equal rights, it must be recognized that they have different needs, preferences, and desires.

The part of the recent education reform laws that especially has me thinking is the provisions for students with "special needs" in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997 (IDEA'97). Even though its basic use is for people with disabilities, that component of federal educational policy includes a requirement that students with special needs have an Individualized Education Plan, in which even students are supposed to have a role in crafting.

In fact, according to kidshealth.org, "Children with delayed skills or skills advanced for their age level may be eligible for special services that can provide individualized instruction and programs in public schools, free of charge to your family." and, "...children who have advanced skills, either overall or in one specific area of learning such as math or reading, may need an enriched education curriculum so they don't become bored."

I'm going to look into this in more detail, as this method -- backed up by federal law if the needs can be effectively documented -- may be a viable way for some students to exert input on their schooling.

Comments?

--Brendan

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-25-2005 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
age, accountability, and aspirations - xcriteria - 10-25-2005 05:58 PM
[] - Doc Johnson - 10-26-2005, 02:00 AM
[] - xcriteria - 10-26-2005, 08:04 AM
[] - Doc Johnson - 10-26-2005, 02:35 PM
[] - xcriteria - 10-27-2005, 06:20 AM
[] - SoulRiser - 10-27-2005, 09:48 AM