RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a rebel infrastructure.
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Re: Creating a rebel infrastructure.

I sincerely doubt that most of this stuff could last long in a first-world country. Hate to break it to you, but TOR and proxies can be traced if the government tries hard enough, which they certainly would if there was a rebellion brewing on their own soil. Private vehicles are still subject to passport checks; owning a jet or boat doesn't mean you can just bounce around from country to country without doing an paperwork.

Private landing strips, field hospitals, rebel strongholds, ammo dumps, liberated buildings, barracks...I'll give them twelve hours after the first rebel attack before they're either overrun with National Guard or bombed into dust. Stationary sites won't work in modern rebellion. Surveillance and espionage is too sophisticated, and no rebellion could defend a fixed position against the combined forces of the FBI, ATF and National Guard for very long. A rebellion on First-World ground has to be either hidden, mobile, or both. Probably both.

Same thing with liberated towns. As soon as a rebel flag is raised over the roof, the government's hammer will fall and you're deluding yourself if you think you can keep them out for long. Cities would undoubtedly play an important role and there would probably be urban areas that were full of sympathizers who'd shelter the rebels, but the idea of a completely rebel-controlled town is laughable (at least until the final stages of the uprising, when the government is on its way out).
Now, there is one way to keep a town under your control. Take hostages. The problem is that you're supposed to be liberating these areas, and it won't do much for your PR if everyone sees you keeping terrified civilians locked up as a human shield. The news will call you a terrorist no matter what, but that doesn't mean you actually have to be one.

And an island? Dude, if you really want to kill yourself just use a bullet. It's cheaper. The ONLY difference between using a building or a private island as your rebel base is that when the government inevitably finds out, they won't have to worry about collateral damage or setting up a perimeter. They'll just bomb your little island back into the sea and call it a police action.

No, a rebellion in an industrialized nation can't be fought like the one in Libya. The rebels need to be fragmented and decentralized, or else a strike on their leadership will make the whole movement unravel. Any kind of spokesmen or tacticians need to stay constantly on the move, one step ahead of the police, and they need to understand that most of their communication will be monitored. And instead of setting up established rebel facilities (hospitals, barracks, arsenals, etc.), the rebels need to insinuate themselves among the civilian population and win sympathizers who can provide these services. Rebels should participate in public service, donate money to rebuilding efforts after battles and attacks, distribute free literature to underprivileged areas and offer shelter to citizens caught up in the government backlash, regardless of their political views. Create an "us vs. them" mentally with the people and rebels together against the government. This has a twofold purpose of getting valuable goods and services from the civilian population, and making sure that the rebels don't appear to be stepping in and "taking over" the area.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
03-10-2011 07:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Creating a rebel infrastructure. - Absnt - 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Re: Creating a rebel infrastructure. - Rebelnerd - 03-10-2011 07:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Creating a philosophical and ideological base of knowledge. Absnt 7 2,348 03-07-2012 01:21 PM
Last Post: Blobthe15