RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
It astonishes me that people STILL think spanking is good.
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
It astonishes me that people STILL think spanking is good.

*WARNING: Lots of text*

Read this:

Quote:To begin with, I feel it's most important to make it very clearly known to any and all concerned, that the debate on spanking within the scientific and academic communities is dead, and has been for a number of years now. The most substantial indicator of this development is evidenced by the fact that virtually every professional organization in the U.S. and Canada concerned with the care and treatment of children, has taken a public stance against the practice of spanking.

Based on the overwhelming accumulation of research conducted over the past 50+ years linking spanking to a number of risk factors, the professional consensus against this practice has grown to world-wide proportions...even to the extent that Sweden, Finland, Austria, Norway, Croatia, Denmark, Hungary, Israel, Cyprus, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Germany, Latvia, Iceland, Romania, Greece, New Zealand, Venezuela, Spain, Portugal, Chile, Uruguay, and Ukraine have legislated total bans on spanking.... with Italy, South Africa, Scotland, Canada, and Ireland apparently in the process of following suit. It should also be noted that every industrialized country in the world has banned spanking in schools. The evidence is in, and the evidence has found against the practice of spanking in a compellingly conclusive manner.

Just as one might find supportive views toward spanking being promoted (typically) on web sites sponsored by fundamentalist Christian sects, so can one find supportive views promoting Homophobia, Racism, Misogyny, and other 'hate group' propaganda. Because of the fact that the actual agendas of these sites are often deceptively disguised by organizational titles such as, 'Family Council', 'People's Choice', 'Rights and Freedoms', etc., people are forced to exercise a highly judicious discernment of the information being made available on the Internet. Some web surfers have had to learn the hard way that the Internet abounds with persuasive presentations of 'facts and figures' that can prove to represent nothing more than religious, political, or philosophical attempts to spread self-serving misinformation.

Having spent 30+ years examining/evaluating the research on this issue of spanking children, I am able to state with a high degree of confidence that there has never been a peer-reviewed study that has been able to establish the efficacy of spanking as a means of long-term behavior modification; as an effective teaching modality; as an effective punishment; or as a means of instilling self-discipline. Nor have there been published research findings in peer-reviewed professional journals that served to refute previous research. This previous research found spanking to be associated with a risk for undesirable emotional consequences; a risk for physical injury; a risk of counter-productive behavioral outcomes; a risk for the onset of dependence on external controls; and a proclivity toward authority-directed behavior. Moreover, there has never been research data produced finding that spanking carries no risk to the quality of the parent-child relationship (and I should add that conservative editorial reviews of previous research findings do not constitute actual research, as is sometimes claimed to be the case).

Nevertheless, there are some spankers who will find reasons to dismiss, ignore, or discount, the research findings of field conducted experimental studies related to the Social Sciences. Well, it's especially these folks that I'd like to address concerning alarming new research findings, which represent the most severe consequences of physical punishment yet discovered...while doing so in the form of documented scientific proof*.

These revelations have come through studies in brain research having provided CAT SCAN pictures showing an abnormal lack of brain development (within the portion of the brain responsible for emotional functioning) in children who had been subject to spankings as a punitive measure. For the sake of sample homogeneity, the researchers chose subjects for their study that had been categorized as 'abused' children. Common sense tells us that this does not eliminate the possibility of a lesser degree of brain damage occurring to spanked children who are subjected to a lesser degree of non-injurious violence. In other words, it would be ludicrous to assume that a child must first suffer bruises, cuts, or welts (or other injuries), before brain damage can take place as a result of the physical punishments. Rather, it is much more logical to deduce that acts of physical aggression toward young children can disrupt, or prevent, the optimal conditions necessary to facilitate a normal process of healthy brain development.

As far as I'm concerned, this new area of research (apparently not yet freely available on the Internet) represents the most compelling, undeniable reason that's yet been discovered to persuade parents to stop (or never start) striking their children as a punitive measure. And I hope any pro-spankers reading this feel the same way. It's difficult to imagine any parent who would be willing to treat their child in a way that might carry even a remote risk of causing a measure of brain damage to their child.

But, in spite of having said all of that, we actually shouldn't need research to end the practice of striking children any more than we needed research to end the practice of striking wives. As a society, there was no need for research findings to convince us of the harmful effects associated with the practice of wives being physically punished.

Instead, when society reached the point of being no longer willing to grant social tolerance to the tradition of husbands physically disciplining their wives, our decision to do so was based on our having progressed socially into the higher morality of a greater humanity. Perhaps, our next step ahead in forward progress should come by way of reaching a decision to begin recognizing children as also being deserving of those same protections against being struck.

No longer do we see any adult members of our society remaining outside the jurisdiction of the protective laws once enjoyed by only the more privileged and 'deserving' (namely white males who made the laws), regardless of race, gender, religion, ethnic group, or sexual orientation. None of our adult citizens remain legally unprotected from being violated through harassment, threats, defamation, discrimination, or being victimized by violence to any degree or form. So, given our heritage of bestowing a greater humanity upon those of a lower social status by welcoming them as our equals in the eyes of the law (in terms of violent treatment), would it be so out of character for us to also shelter the younger, weaker members of our society by allowing them to join those of us already sharing in the security and comfort of safety that's provided under the umbrella of legal protections from violence?

Bringing our little ones into the fold really doesn't seem all that magnanimous if we keep in mind that we've already been willing to share the shelter of our umbrella of Assault laws with even the most vicious of hardened adult criminals. After all, children are the very last segment of our shared human collective who still remain as fair game for being subjected to acts of physical aggression. We display a strange sense of priorities when we don't allow the prison guard to break-out a paddle and start whacking away on the disobedient buttocks of a sociopathic death-row inmate who kills for the rush it gives him, yet we find helpless, defenseless young children as deserving of such treatment.

Fact is, we define corporal punishments of prison inmates as 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment', 'Guard Brutality', or 'Aggravated Assault'. And, should the physical punishments be repeated as a routine punitive measure, such a treatment of prisoners would fall under the definition of 'Torture'.

Why would a murderous inmate be less subject to physical discipline than a helpless 3-year-old child?

Logically, morally, humanely, and scientifically, the debate on spanking is dead...save for those who would object to further social progress.

As we evolve as a society, we have to keep in mind that historically there was a time when it was acceptable to legally own other people; a time when the mentally ill were generally considered to be possessed by evil spirits; a time when men legally shot each other in officiated duels; a time when public hangings were attended as a family outing complete with picnic basket; a time when public floggings were considered acceptable punishment; a time when it was a gentleman's agreement that husbands should not beat their wives with a switch that was 'bigger-round than your thumb' (which later became known as 'the rule of thumb'); and there was a time when there were no laws against parents severely beating their children (killing children was unacceptable, of course, but an occasional accidental maiming as a result of disciplinary measures was tolerated).

Obviously, we no longer permit these punishments. The time has come for us to yet further our level of social sophistication by coming to a general agreement that any degree of physical punishment used against children is as socially unacceptable and repugnant as those past violent behaviors we have chosen to put behind us.

Here was the first response to this post (I bolded some telling comments):

Quote:And yet amazingly, despite your super evolved intellect and ingenious "new" view and insight into the inner mechanisms of the world that the rest of us ignorant savages don't have (probably because we are stupid enough to believe in God-ha ha what morons) the plain fact is that children are more rebellious and out of control than ever, because they fear NOTHING from adults.
I, as a professional educator, can throw up statistics, quotes, and impressive sounding terms much like you have to prove this point. But I am not debating you. You have already made up your mind that you have risen above the backwardness that surrounds and batters your sparkling wit and intellect. I simply show people that despite your open-minded opinion that "the debate is over" (not so intelligent and advanced a tactic, my friend, all well below your intellectually lofty position), the debate is in fact NOT over.
Now, you might be inclined (as per your genius) to deduce that I am one of those apish neanderthals who batters and mutilates my children by daring to pop them on the butt to get their attention. You are free to assume this, as you have already assumed much in your arrogant treatise above.

If you want to prove a point, do not attempt to make it in the heavy-handed and patronizing manner both of us have written above. No one listens to a jerk who just wants to sound smarter than everyone else.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
09-19-2011 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Fanatic

Re: It astonishes me that people STILL think spanking is good.

I'd like to point out that most adults who heavily support making children "obedient" see independence as a bad thing.

They see a kid, and then make some silly demand and when the kid refuses they think, "OMG look at how BAD kids are! It's because they aren't spanked!"

Live until you die
09-19-2011 01:51 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:the plain fact is that children are more rebellious and out of control than ever, because they fear NOTHING from adults
Poor guy. Still believes fear is the only way to get people to do stuff.

I think this is relevant as to why people defend spanking so much:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-19-2011 08:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , Superkamiguru
Hannah-chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I fucking love spanking. Not in schools though.

BRITISH MEMBER

[Image: BritishFlag.jpg][Image: BritishFlag.jpg][Image: BritishFlag.jpg]
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:If I hear a plumber/construction worker/carpenter/whatever say "I'm a hard worker" and the make-up addled plastic bitch replies with "I'll bet that's not the only thing that's hard" ONE MORE TIME
09-20-2011 05:44 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

HAVE YOU BEEN A NAUGHTY BOY, SHIPPONY?
[Image: Spanking_Douglas.jpg]
09-20-2011 05:55 AM
Fanatic

Hannah-chan Wrote:I fucking love spanking. Not in schools though.

Well why not in schools? lol

Quote:HAVE YOU BEEN A NAUGHTY BOY, SHIPPONY?

lol everyday

Live until you die
09-20-2011 06:05 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

As in a fetish or something Uhoh

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-20-2011 08:52 AM
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:
As in a fetish or something Uhoh

I hope so.... giggity.

Live until you die
09-20-2011 09:29 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

1st two minutes.
09-20-2011 02:56 PM
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

1st two minutes.

The Carlos Mencia one is actually pretty sickening imo

Live until you die
09-20-2011 11:25 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Watch on YouTube

Do I look like Ryan's mom?
09-21-2011 12:15 AM
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:

Watch on YouTube

Do I look like Ryan's mom?

That one is funny, I've seen it before lol

Live until you die
09-21-2011 02:10 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

They're both funny because I've been in that situation before. I told my mom that if my step father ever hit me again I would call DCF. She handed me the phone and said "Go ahead bitch, but make sure you pack your bags 'cause I'm signing you over to foster care. You want to act like that then you can go live in a group home with 15 other kids and one bathroom."

I didn't call XD

Also: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat
09-21-2011 04:51 AM
sergeant Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

My girlfriend does
09-21-2011 05:18 AM
Fanatic

Your mom is a bitchwhore. Biggrin

Live until you die
09-21-2011 05:33 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:They're both funny because I've been in that situation before. I told my mom that if my step father ever hit me again I would call DCF. She handed me the phone and said "Go ahead bitch, but make sure you pack your bags 'cause I'm signing you over to foster care. You want to act like that then you can go live in a group home with 15 other kids and one bathroom."

I didn't call XD

I tried that shit too. Doesn't work at all... Still got my ass beat repeatedly until I was big enough that my parents were afraid to fuck with me. (My dad could still beat my ass, but he'd probably walk away with at least a few bumps and bruises lol.)

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
09-21-2011 06:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:They're both funny because I've been in that situation before. I told my mom that if my step father ever hit me again I would call DCF. She handed me the phone and said "Go ahead bitch, but make sure you pack your bags 'cause I'm signing you over to foster care. You want to act like that then you can go live in a group home with 15 other kids and one bathroom."

I didn't call XD

I tried that shit too. Doesn't work at all... Still got my ass beat repeatedly until I was big enough that my parents were afraid to fuck with me. (My dad could still beat my ass, but he'd probably walk away with at least a few bumps and bruises lol.)

I never tried the DCF thing BUT I did call the cops on my dad once. My dad was flipping a shit and when the cop came my dad acted like nothing was wrong and said, "well you know kids do crazy things." the cop then told me I shouldn't call the cops for stuff like that. After he left my dad proceeded to freak the fuck out. lol

Live until you die
09-21-2011 06:48 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

OMG you actually called the cops? Pussy!
09-21-2011 07:05 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Ayliana demonstrating her empathy and tactfulness as usual
09-21-2011 07:43 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ayliana Wrote:OMG you actually called the cops? Pussy!

You mad because some kids go through with their threats brah?

Blog I post to now:

09-21-2011 08:27 AM
Fanatic

Absentinsomniac Wrote:

Exactly. Who is the bigger pussy the one who makes a threat and doesn't go through with it because mommy scared her or the one who went through with his threat regardless of his parents saying they'd kick me out of the house if he did?

Live until you die
09-21-2011 12:29 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Aya Offline
Banned

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:
Absentinsomniac Wrote:

Exactly. Who is the bigger pussy the one who makes a threat and doesn't go through with it because mommy scared her or the one who went through with his threat regardless of his parents saying they'd kick me out of the house if he did?

Hey, If you met any of the adults in my family you'd be scared shit less too. My aunt used to beat her adoptive son with a wire coat hanger. I walked on egg shells around that woman.
09-22-2011 12:51 AM
Fanatic

Quote:Hey, If you met any of the adults in my family you'd be scared shit less too. My aunt used to beat her adoptive son with a wire coat hanger. I walked on egg shells around that woman.

Not that this is a competition but.... my dad was a golden glove boxer, I got the belt from him, my mom would pull my hair and occasionally throw shoes. My cousins (5-12 year olds) STILL get the branch and coat hanger from my cousins (the parents). My cousin (who is now 26) got beat... literally beat for being left handed. Somehow he turned out pretty smart regardless if a bit aggressive/violent... his mom apologizes for it now. His brother.. not so smart lol

Live until you die
09-22-2011 02:41 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Wow, you guys have some fuuuucked up families.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-22-2011 03:19 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:
Quote:probably because we are stupid enough to believe in God-ha ha what morons

What the fuck?

Anyway, when i was bad at my grandmas house she made me get my own switch from the woods.

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
09-22-2011 06:33 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

FUCK YEAH, BEATING COMPETITIONS.

I remember this one time when I stayed up till like 12:00 midnight playing Nintendo 64 when I first got it. My dad came in and started smacking me around, then picked me up and literally through me across the room at my bed... I didn't make it lol. I hit the side of the bed. It fucking sucked.

Coat hangers suck though... Seriously. I hated them.

Blog I post to now:

09-22-2011 07:09 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:FUCK YEAH, BEATING COMPETITIONS.

I remember this one time when I stayed up till like 12:00 midnight playing Nintendo 64 when I first got it. My dad came in and started smacking me around, then picked me up and literally through me across the room at my bed... I didn't make it lol. I hit the side of the bed. It fucking sucked.

One time my stepdad was angry, and i was bugging him. So he pushes me and i go flying into the table, hitting tons of cast iron ornaments. The first thing I said after I got up

"That should be in an action movie"!

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
09-22-2011 08:49 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:One time my stepdad was angry, and i was bugging him. So he pushes me and i go flying into the table, hitting tons of cast iron ornaments. The first thing I said after I got up

"That should be in an action movie"!

Lol, nice.

Blog I post to now:

09-22-2011 09:04 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Absentinsomniac Wrote:FUCK YEAH, BEATING COMPETITIONS.

My stepfather did that to me once when I was five, because I refused to pick up my toys. He used to be a real ass to my sister though. Whenever she pissed him off he would rip the door to her room off the hinges and shut the power off in her room. Psychological warfare anyone?
09-22-2011 09:42 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Good times, gooood times.

[Image: 23307_123208971044309_6535_n.jpg]

Blog I post to now:

09-22-2011 10:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How are most people good at school? MusicAndFruits1092 12 7,093 07-19-2016 01:45 AM
Last Post: the Analogist