RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Should Ipads be used in schools?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Ipads be used in schools?
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Should Ipads be used in schools?

Shoulld Ipads be brought to schools?

Pros
-The school could place all the students school books in the Ipad, which means the school won't have to buy many expensive books.
-The school wouldn't need as many computers, only for computer classes.
-No excuses for not being able to use computers at home.
-Easy access to email (to email teachers.)
-Turn in school work via email, so no papers are lost.
-Everything will be in an organized database instead of just grade books/papers.

Cons:
-Ipads cost more than 4 average textbooks.
-Ipads are easier to break than books.
-Ipads can download games etc.
-Students' handwriting may not improve/get worse.
-They are a hassle to monitor by the school/school board.
-They can be stolen (though the school could place tracking things or something.
07-17-2011 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)
Re: Should Ipads be used in schools?

400X1500 = a broken school budget
07-17-2011 11:06 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Comrade Wrote:400X1500 = a broken school budget

Meh, our school system is close to cutting the ability to bring your own lunch or teachers who's students don't get A+++. Our school system is on a fast spiral twirl downward. Might as well have fun with it.

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
07-17-2011 12:37 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

fish20 Wrote:Shoulld Ipads be brought to schools?

Pros
-The school could place all the students school books in the Ipad, which means the school won't have to buy many expensive books.
But it's not like the gubment will therefore spend less money on the prisons. This might be a benefit to students, not having to carry the books around. But, really, they should just be not doing any of the assignments.
Quote:-The school wouldn't need as many computers, only for computer classes.
Um, having to have one computer for each student? That's a lot more than they usually have.
Quote:-No excuses for not being able to use computers at home.
There's no fucking way they'd let the students take the computers home.
Quote:-Easy access to email (to email teachers.)
-Turn in school work via email, so no papers are lost.
-Everything will be in an organized database instead of just grade books/papers.

Cons:
Yeah, and they'll have to buy e-books and those are still fucking expensive, stupid-ass textbook publishers.
Quote:-Ipads are easier to break than books.
-Ipads can download games etc.
They would put their little security things on them to "prevent" that.
Quote:-Students' handwriting may not improve/get worse.
Well, who gives two fucks and a shit about that in a world where handwriting is obsolete?
Quote:-They are a hassle to monitor by the school/school board.
-They can be stolen (though the school could place tracking things or something.
I find this whole thing ridiculous.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-17-2011 02:53 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Quote:Well, who gives two fucks and a shit about that in a world where handwriting is obsolete?

IT is necessarily.. in.. um... Signatures... and... Birthday Cards (1 word+your signature).... and um...filling out forms you get from your doctor of something... Or if you still pay for stamps

War is stupid.
07-19-2011 03:47 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

flann Wrote:
Quote:Well, who gives two fucks and a shit about that in a world where handwriting is obsolete?

IT is necessarily.. in.. um... Signatures... and... Birthday Cards (1 word+your signature).... and um...filling out forms you get from your doctor of something... Or if you still pay for stamps
Signatures are whatever you want them to be, they don't have to be "good" handwriting. I don't think anyone's going to forget how to do the "print" letters. Doctors always ask you to repeat everything you wrote on the forms anyway. And, stamps? What about stamps?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-20-2011 10:11 AM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:
flann Wrote:

Signatures are whatever you want them to be, they don't have to be "good" handwriting. I don't think anyone's going to forget how to do the "print" letters. Doctors always ask you to repeat everything you wrote on the forms anyway. And, stamps? What about stamps?

I didn't finish that apparently: I meant if you still pay stamps for mailing letters.
But I doubt people are gonna forget anyways

War is stupid.
07-20-2011 11:13 AM
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Well I live in a ghetto Public school, so within 1 period of students using the Ipads, they would all be gone....

So if it comes to the type of school you go to. And the type of city/neighborhood you live in, in my case I would vote No....

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
07-20-2011 07:55 PM
Horrid Dreamer Offline
Raw fish person

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Here's my analysis. Sorry if some stuff has been said already.

Quote:Pros
Ipads are stil expensive. So are ebooks.Also, the students won't have schoolbags that are so fucking heavy. Less back pain for students.
Yes, but couldn't you use the ipad as a computer anyway?
Quote:-No excuses for not being able to use computers at home.
True, if they let you take them home.
Quote:-Easy access to email (to email teachers.)
True.
Quote:-Turn in school work via email, so no papers are lost.
True, but if the ipad breaks and you lose your data, you're screwed.
Quote:Cons:
The government will continue to spend ridiculous amounts of money on stuff we don't need.
Quote:-Ipads are easier to break than books.
True. They're probably working on improving that.
Quote:-Ipads can download games etc.
In my school, every single student in my grade has a laptop. If we had ipads, the situation would be similar. We download games anyway.
So?
So are our laptops, but they still gave us them. Besides, the can't monitor us all anyway, and they probably know that.
The authorities can't monitor every llittle thing we do? What a shame. /sarcasm
Quote:-They can be stolen (though the school could place tracking things or something.
Everything can be stolen. Also, the day the school starts putting tracking devices on your belongings/equipment, things have gone way too far.

Is adult entertainment killing our children? or is killing our children entertaining our adults?
-Marilyn Manson
07-20-2011 09:54 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Quote:
Quote:Pros
Ipads are stil expensive. So are ebooks.Also, the students won't have schoolbags that are so fucking heavy. Less back pain for students.
Yes.
Quote:
Yes, but couldn't you use the ipad as a computer anyway?
I'm talking about web design, photoshop classes, etc.
Quote:-Ipads can download games etc.
In my school, every single student in my grade has a laptop. If we had ipads, the situation would be similar. We download games anyway.
Quote:
So?
I'm mostly doing this by a parent/teacher perspective, and they think handwriting is still important.
Quote:
So are our laptops, but they still gave us them. Besides, the can't monitor us all anyway, and they probably know that.
The authorities can't monitor every llittle thing we do? What a shame. /sarcasm
Yeah, but I don't think they want you be doing illegal shit on their laptop.
Quote:
Quote:-They can be stolen (though the school could place tracking things or something.
Everything can be stolen. Also, the day the school starts putting tracking devices on your belongings/equipment, things have gone way too far.
[/quote]
Its not your belongings, its the schools, they would give you ipads for free/reduced price.
07-21-2011 03:13 PM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I think I'd choose an ipad over the laptops we've been given. But it wouldn't be as easy to monitor everything we were doing, so I doubt they'd let it happen.
07-21-2011 09:33 PM
Phrozen_Soul Offline

Psychoqueen Wrote:I think I'd choose an ipad over the laptops we've been given. But it wouldn't be as easy to monitor everything we were doing, so I doubt they'd let it happen.

We get shit-tier laptops that have trouble running microsoft word 2000 without crashing. I think iPads would be a godsend to the teachers.

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
07-22-2011 01:04 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

fish20 Wrote:Its not your belongings, its the schools, they would give you ipads for free/reduced price.
It's not your property, but it's issued to you for the school year. I'd just refuse to use it. Just to make things harder for them, mostly.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-22-2011 10:29 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline

Prince Rilian Wrote:
fish20 Wrote:Its not your belongings, its the schools, they would give you ipads for free/reduced price.
It's not your property, but it's issued to you for the school year. I'd just refuse to use it. Just to make things harder for them, mostly.

Where do i sign up for your kids school? You all say stuff like this but at my school they'd be telling me to use right up to they expelled me for the year.

07-23-2011 09:44 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:

Where do i sign up for your kids school? You all say stuff like this but at my school they'd be telling me to use right up to they expelled me for the year.
The thing is that I don't care if I get expelled. I got suspended with greater and greater frequency as I progressed through middle school and high school because I didn't give a shit about it and I didn't hesitate to tell the teachers to go fuck themselves. If I could go back in time and do things differently, I'd participate even less and tell them to fuck themselves even more.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-23-2011 10:21 AM
Tiji Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

iPads would make a great tool for delivering rich content and information in a convenient and relatively affordable fashion, allowing pupils to cover what they want to learn at their own pace and with some refreshing flexibility.

But we're not talking about anything half-way respectable, we're talking about the disgusting public education system, and as long as they still waste their resources controlling people, any actual learning is pushed to the backburner, if your lucky. That being said though, computers/ipads/whatever are almost always a welcome addition. Both for typing out things rather then writing them, and for something fun to do when the teacher goes bitching on for hours at a time Biggrin
07-27-2011 12:14 AM