RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting youth rights supporter's view on "development"
There is no cause of anything

Given 204 thank(s) in 143 post(s)

A reply to this: http://www.youthrights.org/blog/yr101-2/
I like that this person acknowledges that, along with teens, younger children are also not deserving of invalidation and inferior treatment by adults, and are more capable than we think- even at 7 years old.

Quote:A few reactions:

1. Speaking of ‘developmental differences’ between adults and children is itself problematic in that different children have different capacities at different ages, some of whom exceed the capacities of many or most adults in precisely those areas where adults are said to be more capable.
2. The term “development” must itself be politicized and problematized. It is used as a cudgel to reject demands for children’s rights. Any differences between most children and most adults are viewed as examples of children’s underdevelopment, or adults greater development. The view implied by adopting the language of “development” is that children develop to a higher level once adults, that adults are developed, children, developing. This does not square with the reality however: was inherently imperfect as so-called intelligence tests are, they demonstrate that many areas of human mental capability actually peak in early youth: adults aren’t ‘more developed’, we are all in decline in these measures.
3.Who are these “many” for whom youth rights primarily on teenagers? This implies that there is some large contingent of people who adopt this view, within youth rights. I have not really seen any evidence of that.
4. Only amongst children is lack of capability or capacity thought to logically reduce the ability to refuse intervention and control of others. I am unable to fly a plane competently and as such I should not be licensed to do so, but my lack of flying capability or flying development does not imply that those who can fly planes may abduct me and fly me to locations against my will. This is however exactly what we are asked to believe with children. If we accept that say, a particular 7 year old child is not competent to live on her own (and we might legitimately question if a properly educated 7 year old couldn’t live on her own in reality, if education to do so was provided, if maybe a weekly cleaner or something was provided, if the proper adjustments were made, such as counter heights within her easy reach – the type of adjustments that are necessary for people with certain sorts of disabilities for example.) it does not follow that she shouldn’t be able to choose who she lives with (providing they consent), or that she shouldn’t be able to set her own bed time, to decide what books she reads and what television programs she watches, to decide how much time she spends on the internet, whether she attends church and if so which one, and so forth. Even if a care taker was absolutely necessary (as it very much may be before 4 years old for example) there is no reason why that care taker should have ultimate sovereignty over that child anymore than the caretakers many elderly people rely on are granted powers of them. The differences in development are trotted out as a trump card against those who would liberate children from their current thoroughly dominated status. But this makes no sense.

5. To the extent that relevant developmental differences (that are not accounted for by lack of education that could be provided for example), they should motivate us to adjust public space and social expectations in such a way that accommodates children’s differences, in the same way that we do for disabled people, rather than using it as an excuse to justify continued domination of children.

"I’M BEGGING YOU, PRINCE ZUKO! It’s time for you to look inward and begin asking yourself the big question: who are you and what do YOU want?"
" While it is always best to believe in one’s self, a little help from others can be a great blessing"
-Uncle Iroh(Avatar: the Last Airbender)
05-08-2017 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
The man Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 104 thank(s) in 92 post(s)

Beautiful

their pee should hv been shot out like a ki blast breaking the rocks

oh and also No one has any rights. We're free, rights create invisible restrictions. But we live in a society where the majority accepts rights to be true.
05-13-2017 05:25 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
The man Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 104 thank(s) in 92 post(s)

Just put it on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/YouthRights/com...s_view_on/

their pee should hv been shot out like a ki blast breaking the rocks

oh and also No one has any rights. We're free, rights create invisible restrictions. But we live in a society where the majority accepts rights to be true.
05-22-2017 07:08 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Youth Rights Blogs! The man 9 4,120 04-18-2017 02:43 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Animal Rights came before Children's Rights SoulRiser 6 6,312 04-18-2017 02:42 PM
  Can Someones Explain what Youth Rights are? GoldenEveeee 11 5,486 04-17-2017 02:35 AM
  These Essays are Youth Rights Gold Small Axe 0 1,945 04-15-2016 05:05 AM
Last Post: Small Axe
  Realistic goals for a politically based shift in education and youth rights Damokles 27 15,130 09-03-2013 12:13 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Youth Rights, Dignity, and the Anti-Democratic Values of Public Schooling SoulRiser 14 7,764 10-11-2012 04:44 AM
Last Post: FarBeyondDriven
  Youth/Human rights campaign started by Scientology IanBird 35 16,410 10-10-2012 03:56 AM
Last Post: FarBeyondDriven
  Youth rights and you jnkbortka 7 5,459 10-01-2011 03:39 AM
Last Post: UnschoolShqiponjë
  School and development of personality disorder Reptorian 4 3,190 06-06-2011 07:04 AM
Last Post: Reptorian
  History of Youth Rights. Absnt 18 5,504 02-08-2011 02:26 AM
Last Post: Prince Rilian