RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will school make me successful?
MusicAndFruits1092 Offline

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I like school, but there's just a lot of work. I want to be successful in life and financially. But I don't see how school really ties in with helping me financially. I've always thought that we'll never use anything we've learned in school in life. Now that I think about it I can see how understanding Biology can help us understand more about Earth. Algebra can help us manage money. I love learning, but at the same time I don't. I'd like to be smart, I want to learn as much as I can because I know if other people can be smart, why can't I? But I just want to know, I know school can help us more about life, and understand it a little more, but how will it help me financially? My guardians told me going to college shows your employers you have the ability to learn. But I just don't really see how college, or school in general can tie into work to make you successful financially. I mean I can see if you go to college, in most cases I've heard people make more money than the average person. But I've also heard people who have went to college and aren't successful and are still paying off there loans. One of my guardians went to college and they aren't even successful financially. My other guardian quit college. I've always felt like to be successful financially you have to be like a famous movie star, singer, or musician or own a company. You can be successful as like a doctor too. Can someone help me just understand how school can help me financially, please?

But I mean also my teachers, they have a college degree but I feel bad because they say they don't make much. And I think those are the teachers that have been teaching for like three or four years already, but they're really smart.

I want to be good in school. I want to learn a lot. Money has never been something I've thought much about or cared for, but now I'm starting to realize that it is important to be financially successful. When I was younger I would say I didn't want to be rich because I was scared I would be greedy, and now I'm starting to feel like I'm being greedy already wanting to be financially successful. I don't want to be working at a McDonalds.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2016 01:12 AM by MusicAndFruits1092.)
04-24-2016 01:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: How will school make me successful?

I make 40g, have health coverage and a retirement plan, with 10 weeks off in the summer 2 or 3 in the winter and 1 in spring and 1 in fall.

I'm not rich but it beats whatever else I can find.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
04-24-2016 02:30 AM
 Thanks given by: MusicAndFruits1092
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

It can't. Definitely not directly.

Indirectly, people generally assume that good grades in school = a good college, and doing well there = getting a highly-paid job... but reality doesn't work that way. Because everyone and their cat is pressured into going to college, it really isn't that big of a deal anymore, and employers are now looking for previous work experience (or specific skills) more than college degrees.

So, you follow all their instructions - do well in school, do well in college, get a fancy degree... and look for a job, and nobody gives a shit because they want you to already have at least 3 years of experience at doing the same kind of job before they will even consider giving you a halfway decent position that counts as "highly paid".

The only way to get there is to start at the bottom and work your way up, getting promoted along the way. OR start your own business. Or both. Smile

Money is a tool. It's a useful thing that can make a lot of other things possible. There's no point in having more of it than you know what to do with, other than some savings for emergencies.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-24-2016 04:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

It depends on what you want to do. You can't practice law or medicine without a degree. Some things have different paths some things don't. Schooling or even education in general isn't the cure all it's made out to be but it can open doors.

Captain Beefheart
04-24-2016 04:55 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yeah, true. There's those things. I was mainly thinking about the things I've actually looked at jobs for, which is pretty much anything to do with computers/websites/programming/design/writing.

So if you already by some chance know what you want to do in life (which is rare), then you'll know if the high school diploma -> college degree route will be useful for you or not.

Either way, there are ways around it. You can get a degree without a high school diploma, but of course it's more complicated than just sticking with school.

In any case, I think all this pressure adults put on young people to decide what to do with their lives, and/or to grind through all this tedious crap just to be able to get a job is pretty ludicrous. In general, the requirements for getting most jobs are stupid.

Want to do X? Learn how to do it from someone who does it. Want to get a job doing X? Demonstrate your skill for X in some way. That makes sense. Spending 12 years in high school and another 3-10 in college doing things completely unrelated to X... that does not make sense.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
04-24-2016 07:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Success is complicated and hard to define. You can do things to open more paths but sometimes it may be redundant if the paths are already open. It depends entirely on the individual, their goals, and their abilities(or lack of).

I for one probably intend to drop college because it's wasting my time and money, then start a non-profit to fight the current situation. Some dickwads might have an issue with me being a dropout but who's the one starting businesses and being his own boss? Plus I refuse, on principle, to go through the fucked up system we currently have and I especially refuse bullcrap about "dealing it with" because it's something I have to deal with in my career life.

Hah. Cowardly spineless drones...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-24-2016 09:54 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

You're a drone no matter what you do.

Captain Beefheart
04-24-2016 10:25 AM
 Thanks given by: MusicAndFruits1092 , schoolsux , The man
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(04-24-2016 10:25 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  You're a drone no matter what you do.

Not when I command drones. Then I become the drone king.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
04-24-2016 11:40 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
MusicAndFruits1092 Offline

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(04-24-2016 04:55 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  It depends on what you want to do. You can't practice law or medicine without a degree. Some things have different paths some things don't. Schooling or even education in general isn't the cure all it's made out to be but it can open doors.

Yeah. I'm interested in doing things like making apps, coding, and making graphics. I like making advertisements (I don't know why lol) or just anything you can design in the world of graphics. Razz
04-24-2016 02:22 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Since you seem the sort who's going to stay in school anyway I recommend studying hard and doing the best you can to learn as much as you can about whatever they're putting in front of you.

Captain Beefheart
04-24-2016 03:00 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Not to put you down but if they're things you cant commercialize on, it would be better to do college. College aint bad per se but if you know what you gonna do, have skills, and have the drive for it...then you wont need college as much since you can shape the clay of your future without a degree. I for one dont even forsee a time Ill need my degree.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-24-2016 03:12 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Yeah. I'm interested in doing things like making apps, coding, and making graphics. I like making advertisements (I don't know why lol) or just anything you can design in the world of graphics.
Those are useful things, and there's a lot of potential money in that sort of thing. People are willing to pay large amounts to good designers, and you can do that sort of thing freelance and online.

Hidden stuff:
04-25-2016 02:47 AM
navitasharma Offline
Defiant

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

It depends on the situation.
05-24-2016 02:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do you make school more bearable. Depression101 12 5,001 05-05-2017 06:11 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Once-active SS-user is now conventionally successful. Discuss. Will 8 6,065 04-19-2017 04:58 AM
  What They Won’t Teach In School Could Make You Rich SoulRiser 13 7,163 04-15-2017 04:57 PM
  I want to make a suggestion to my school district? MusicAndFruits1092 5 3,530 03-31-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Successful guide to cutting school? SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT 22 32,783 07-30-2015 01:16 PM
  Blake Boles: To Fix School, Make it Consensual xcriteria 3 2,789 11-19-2014 03:04 PM
  why does school make writing so boring? craxyguy562 19 10,754 09-25-2014 10:35 AM
Last Post: craxyguy562
  OMG, people, school is NOT out to make you look stupid Asder Miller 76 47,307 11-24-2013 06:06 AM
Last Post: 34f3o4wfekwlefjweihj0if'uwkp3rdij
  Something that would make school 1000000 times more bearable CrayolaColours 6 3,425 11-28-2010 05:13 PM
Last Post: CrayolaColours
  My epic, successful (kinda) skipping of a whole school day. username01462781 18 9,728 03-03-2010 04:57 PM
Last Post: Coma Girl