RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAN YOU HOMESCHOOL YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
adrianjones Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

In terms of high school, most self-teaching people approach these days with fear and dread. I will concede that I did, also. Yet, I am pleased to the point that we chose to take the dive and keep self-teaching our girl as opposed to seeking after private or state funded school for these last four years. We are presently self-teaching our child who has come to the high school.
Are the diploma years drawing nearer in your home? I urge you to stop, take a deep breath, and think the possibilities of home schooling your child. Here is a few reason why it is a good choice.
1. This is when self-teaching truly starts to pay off. Your student has turned into a self-sufficient learner and can plan and deal with his own workload. High school diploma online work needs concentration and learning with understanding makes turns you into an independent learner.
2. Preferably, your student, who is drawing nearer high school, has turned into a genuine assistant to you and her siblings. This is a glorious time to have your high school youngsters at home by your side, figuring out how to cook, greenery enclosure, deal with a home, from a deck, adjust a checkbook, and so on. Frequently high schoolers enlisted openly or tuition-based school don't have sufficient energy to learn reasonable life attitudes on account of the extreme class time and expanded homework that their instructors request.
3. High Schoolers are amusing to be around. This is the point at which your kids turn into your companions. Presently, don't misunderstand me, despite everything you have to be their guardian, BUT you are starting to give up, little by small, giving them a chance to commit their own errors, giving them a chance to gain from their own victories and defeats. This is a period when children can truly start to open up and talk - discuss certain issues, easily proven wrong points, philosophical or religious contrasts, and social weights
4. Wouldn't you like to be the particular one that he asks guidance from? Wouldn't you like to keep adding to that long lasting heart-to-heart relationship? Self-teaching through a high school diploma online years can cultivate and develop this relationship on the grounds that you have sufficient energy to quite recently "hang out" together.
So these are simply a couple of purposes behind you to consider as you choose whether or not you will proceed. Anyway, by what method would it be able to basically be finished? This is a decent question in light of the fact that we all realize that high schoolers are learning material that is regularly over our heads. We frequently don't recall our Algebra 2 courses or propelled syntax works out.
Here are a few thoughts that you can consider that may make self-learning a more do-capable situation for you and your student:
RESEARCH
Do your examination before you settle on this huge choice. These are the sorts of things that you will need to discover ahead of time:
1. Discover what sort of subjects and the quantity of credits that your state requires. Do a Google hunt to discover this data. Sort "(your state) high school diploma online requirements into your browser.
2. Discover what needs to be recorded on a transcript and start keeping this data from year 1 - when your understudy is completing her first year. (We'll discuss transcripts in one moment).
3. Learn what sort of outlines are offered for high schoolers.
OUTSOURCE
I have figured out that there are numerous, numerous classes out there that my high schoolers can assume for high school diploma online, for example, science, math, composition, discourse/banter about, Spanish, and so forth. There's a way out to this problem.
1. Ask your nearby homeschool support group,
2. Call your nearby homeschool book shop.
3. See whether your student can take classes at the lesser school for double credit.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 12:54 AM by SoulRiser.)
05-09-2015 12:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

This post was flagged as a possible automated post, even though it has some good content. Can you confirm that you're a person? Want to introduce yourself?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 12:08 AM by xcriteria.)
05-09-2015 12:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Probably an automated post. I'll leave it but just remove the link though. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-09-2015 12:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  International online high school SoulRiser 2 3,430 04-24-2017 12:30 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  the most homeschool/unschool friendly states soli 12 6,563 03-22-2017 04:32 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Liberals, Don't Homeschool Your Kids magikarp 10 7,317 09-02-2015 11:18 PM
Last Post: magikarp
  Do I need to high school diploma or a G.E.D in order to get a job? MurkScribe 9 6,609 05-06-2015 01:50 AM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  Do I need a high school degree? MurkScribe 16 6,744 11-14-2014 10:09 AM
Last Post: MurkScribe
  Considering Homeschool or Unschooling. Need advice Facehead977 4 3,592 10-03-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: Facehead977
  How do I make money after High School? Avi-Bird 17 13,226 01-25-2012 01:31 AM
Last Post: aCol
  Free Georgia Online High School for Second Semester? Z3roDread 7 3,863 01-14-2010 08:19 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  College specializing in high school non-graduates xcriteria 2 2,429 05-27-2009 10:45 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Online High School in MN Eidolon 15 8,854 05-03-2008 03:52 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser