RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Alright so I have had this report and I have to turn it in by thursday if I want to be able to pass(somewhat) Theatre and be exempt from the Final Exam.

The paper's font things:
Times New Roman
Double spaced lines
Size 11 font
Two pages

The paper is on comparing Nathan Fillion's Character in Castle(The Halloween one in Season 1(or was it 2?), His character in the Pilot of Firefly, and his character in Dr. Horrible's sing along blog....

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-05-2014 02:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

11?

What happened to 12?

He was badass in firefly, socialite in Castle, and I dont know the other.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-05-2014 02:54 AM
ThorodonSorrow Offline
Just another face in the crowd.

Given 14 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
RE: Report

(05-05-2014 02:54 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  11?

What happened to 12?

He was badass in firefly, socialite in Castle, and I dont know the other.

They've been making students use size 11 font instead of 12 font because it allows for students to put more work into essays and projects and stuff. It's just another reason to expect more from students, basically.
05-05-2014 07:41 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

How many pages?

If it's double spaced like you say, that's easy..
05-05-2014 09:04 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Two pages.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

05-05-2014 09:35 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

In my college class, I got away with 12.5 Courier New(a font that takes up a good deal of space). I was still able to fit enough info that my professor asked me if she could use my essays as model papers for future classes.

Maybe the issue here is the idea of page/word limits(quotas)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
05-05-2014 11:09 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Two, double-spaced pages? That's easy as hell..
05-05-2014 12:19 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Yeah I just don't want to do it, plus the fact that I have no interest in that what-so-ever doesn't help.

05-05-2014 12:26 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Just get it done today, knock that shit out and you won't have to worry about it the rest of the week.
05-05-2014 12:30 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

The thing is, I have no motivation to do it. Literally I don't want to do it, plus I'm not good at comparing things.

05-05-2014 12:49 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

The hardest part is actually starting it bro, all you have to do is sit down for five minutes and begin working on it. Tell yourself that it'll only be for five minutes or until you feel like stopping. Either you'll get five minutes worth of work done on it which is better than nothing, or you won't stop at five minutes and you keep going, eventually finishing it before you know it.
05-05-2014 01:35 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I always hated starting it.

So I found a solution. It was starting it before I actually started it. I'd have the introductory aspect roughly prepared in my head before I ever sat down to right it(sometimes coming up with it in class right after being told to write). Course this generally requires previous knowledge of said topics(I've watched all of Firefly 4 times over, and the movie, and I've seen a few episodes of Castle. And like I mentioned, I don't know 3rd one).

Don't set insane expectations for yourself and then moan about how you'll fail to achieve them. Contrary to how school tries to make you do this shit("OK kids, do a rough outline, actual outline, a rough draft, a final draft, the actual paper AND the re-do!"). All you want to realistically do is the get at least the first three sentences(or first paragraph. Whatever).

Applies to many areas. You don't start building a car and then lose motivation thinking of all the parts you have to put together. You start from the first part, and concentrate block by block, thus not overwhelming yourself. See the systems in the system and work on those at a time, not just one entire system and wonder how you'll build it all.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
05-05-2014 02:35 PM