RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stance on Abortion
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

What is your stance on abortion?

One note: If your entire stance can fit on a bumper sticker, then you haven't thought about it enough. You haven't uncovered how complex and morally ambiguous this issue really is.

My stance is that I have no stance. Razz

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
06-28-2013 06:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

" If your entire stance can fit on a bumper sticker, then you haven't thought about it enough. You haven't uncovered how complex and morally ambiguous this issue really is."

Why do you have to make everything so complicated? Sheesh.

Personally, I probably wouldn't be able to go through with it. And I have no right to say what another woman can do with her body.

People should learn to wear a condom, dammit.

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
06-28-2013 06:22 AM
 Thanks given by: no
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

Personally I think abortion is wrong unless it's putting the mom's health at risk. It's not the fetus's fault that you didn't use a condom or birth control. Only a small percentage of girls get abortions because of that, and only a small amount get abortions due to rape. And even if it is a rape case, I still don't think abortion is right- I mean no it's not fair to the girl but I think killing off the fetus is a bit extreme when there are other options like adoption.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 07:00 AM by Dead.)
06-28-2013 06:59 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)
RE: Stance on Abortion

I think by now everyone should know by now that abortion is a big issue with me and I'm very pro-choice. And basically the way I see it is that if you force a woman to have a child she either can't afford, doesn't want, can't take care of, or isn't ready in anyway and you force a woman to have the child you are heartless and disgusting.

Actually let's put it in the child's terms. Since I'm sure that more convincing to the pseudo pro "life" individuals. If you force a child to be born into poverty. To be born to parents who didn't want them and very well could abuse them. To be born addicted to a substance they don't even know exists yet. You are disgusting and heartless. Oh and not to mention the unnecessary stress force upon a woman in these horrible situations when they're forced to have a child is bad. Because last time I checked, stress is bad for the fetus.

Oh and then there's the fact that whether abortion is illegal or not women are going to go to extremes to terminate their unwanted pregnancy. Whether that be trying to induce a miscarriage or going to a shady "doctor" and having an unsafe procedure done. Oh but then you say "well just legalize everything if it won't stop anyone." Well there's this funny thing about laws. Laws are put in place to protect people. Before Roe V Wade 5,000 women died from illegal abortions a year. 219 women die everyday from illegal abortions worldwide. Today, in the united states, getting an abortion is safer than carrying a pregnancy to term and safer than an injection of penicillin.

And now for the "well why not just adopt" argument. Yeah. Tell that to the thousands of children waiting to be adopted. Tell that to the 20,000 children who age out of the foster care system every year who never get adopted. Tell them that adoption works. In case you don't know a child needs stability. And being bounced around from foster home to foster home is not stability. Not to mention the foster care horror stories I've heard from people I have actually met where foster parents neglect them and abuse them. How many foster parents are only in it for the money? So yeah. Tell those kids that adoption works.

Quote:It's not the fetus's fault that you didn't use a condom or birth control.

Birth control fails. Condoms break or fall off. some guys are even crazy enough to poke holes in the condom. Some people poke holes in condoms as a "harmless prank" Don't assume things. It makes you look like an ass.

Quote:And even if it is a rape case, I still don't think abortion is right- I mean no it's not fair to the girl but I think killing off the fetus is a bit extreme when there are other options like adoption.

Now that's just disturbing. I assume you're a man. And I also assume if you are a woman you've never been raped. Rape is a traumatic experience. An experience that causes things like PTSD. Depression. maybe even suicide. And you think it's ok for a woman to live for 9 months with that memory almost literally strapped onto her? You think it's ok for the woman to relive that moment every time she runs to the toilet in the morning. You think it's alright for that woman to have flashbacks every time she feels a kick? You think that's alright? Refer to my above argument on why abortion is not another option.

So there's my stance on abortion. It's not just some my body my choice feminist cunt shit. And it definitely won't fit on a bumper sticker. At least, not a bumper sticker you could read from the comfort of your own car driving behind me on the highway.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
06-28-2013 09:15 AM
 Thanks given by: Potato , тωιѕтє∂ , Rule_BreakerXVIII , Deleted
Dead Offline
Goon

(06-28-2013 09:15 AM)Night Wrote:  I think by now everyone should know by now that abortion is a big issue with me and I'm very pro-choice. And basically the way I see it is that if you force a woman to have a child she either can't afford, doesn't want, can't take care of, or isn't ready in anyway and you force a woman to have the child you are heartless and disgusting.

So if someone doesn't agree with your opinion that automatically makes them heartless and disgusting? That's cool.

Quote:Actually let's put it in the child's terms. Since I'm sure that more convincing to the pseudo pro "life" individuals. If you force a child to be born into poverty. To be born to parents who didn't want them and very well could abuse them. To be born addicted to a substance they don't even know exists yet. You are disgusting and heartless. Oh and not to mention the unnecessary stress force upon a woman in these horrible situations when they're forced to have a child is bad. Because last time I checked, stress is bad for the fetus.

I think it's better to be born with a shitty life than not born at all.

Quote:Oh and then there's the fact that whether abortion is illegal or not women are going to go to extremes to terminate their unwanted pregnancy. Whether that be trying to induce a miscarriage or going to a shady "doctor" and having an unsafe procedure done. Oh but then you say "well just legalize everything if it won't stop anyone." Well there's this funny thing about laws. Laws are put in place to protect people. Before Roe V Wade 5,000 women died from illegal abortions a year. 219 women die everyday from illegal abortions worldwide. Today, in the united states, getting an abortion is safer than carrying a pregnancy to term and safer than an injection of penicillin.

If they want to get an unsafe abortion then you're right, there's no stopping them.

Quote:And now for the "well why not just adopt" argument. Yeah. Tell that to the thousands of children waiting to be adopted. Tell that to the 20,000 children who age out of the foster care system every year who never get adopted. Tell them that adoption works. In case you don't know a child needs stability. And being bounced around from foster home to foster home is not stability. Not to mention the foster care horror stories I've heard from people I have actually met where foster parents neglect them and abuse them. How many foster parents are only in it for the money? So yeah. Tell those kids that adoption works.

I know that adoption and foster care are both shitty. But again, I think it's better to at least have a life instead of being killed off before you were born.

Quote:Birth control fails. Condoms break or fall off. some guys are even crazy enough to poke holes in the condom. Some people poke holes in condoms as a "harmless prank" Don't assume things. It makes you look like an ass.

I wasn't assuming anything, never did I say that birth control/condoms work 100% of the time. I was talking about the times when people just don't use one at all.

Quote:Now that's just disturbing. I assume you're a man. And I also assume if you are a woman you've never been raped. Rape is a traumatic experience. An experience that causes things like PTSD. Depression. maybe even suicide. And you think it's ok for a woman to live for 9 months with that memory almost literally strapped onto her? You think it's ok for the woman to relive that moment every time she runs to the toilet in the morning. You think it's alright for that woman to have flashbacks every time she feels a kick? You think that's alright? Refer to my above argument on why abortion is not another option.

I don't think it's ok, I don't think it's fair to rape people, but I still don't think it's ok to deprive the fetus of it's entire life. Sorry. I guess you think I'm heartless and disgusting then.

Oh, and not assuming things about me from a post I made would be appreciated, thanks.
06-28-2013 09:52 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

So..

Shitty life > never knowing how bad it could be

Yeah that makes sense lol.

You're pseudo pro life. All you care about is the fetus. But once it's born nah it can go fuck itself. Who care if it lives in poverty. Who cares if it's abused. Who cares if it developed depression. Who cares if it kills itself due the shitty life it was forced to live. Because at least it was born right?

That's not pro life.

I like how you say that I think someone is heartless and disgusting because they disagree with me. Obviously you lack basic comprehension skills.

And I like how you have one simple argument. One simple easily dismissed argument.

Oh and if they want to get an unsafe abortion there's no stopping them. So lets weigh the pros and cons here. Say there's a woman. She really can't have this kid. Lets not look at the reasons why, but lets just say they're significant reasons that pertain to her safety. Now where she live abortions are illegal. So in a fit of desperation she find a back alley abortion "clinic" which is basically someone's apartment. It's dirty. The tools aren't properly sterilized. She thinks it's a bad idea. But she REALLY can't have this kid so she goes through with it. There are complications. She dies. Not only is her fetus dead but so is she. Now imagine this woman lives in a place where safe legal abortions are given. She makes an appointment. She goes into a room with a doctor qualified to do the procedure. It's clean, sterile. She thinks it's a bad idea. But she REALLY can't have this baby. So she goes through with it. And walks out. Alive.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 10:23 AM by Night.)
06-28-2013 10:11 AM
 Thanks given by: no
Dead Offline
Goon

Stance on Abortion

What do you want me to do, help every single person in adoption/foster care who has a shitty life?
06-28-2013 10:15 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Stance on Abortion

I don't think abortions should be illegal; I just think they're wrong.

And no, I don't lack comprehension skills. But like I said you insulted me just because I don't agree with you.
06-28-2013 10:48 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

I never insulted you. I just posted my opinion. And you happened to be one of the few people who posted so far. And your opinions happened to be different from mine. And so I quoted you to reply to it.

I honestly can't see a shred of anything that could be insulting.

And seriously. Come on, I think even you have to believe that your argument is weak. "it's just wrong" seriously?

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
06-28-2013 10:57 AM
 Thanks given by: Potato
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I have an extreme fear of having kids. I'm terrified I'll end up like my mother. I would get an abortion, but not everyone would. I feel it comes down to the parents' choice or in split parent cases whomever is going to be taking care of the child. Whether it be the father or the mother.

I'm back~
06-28-2013 11:02 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Stance on Abortion

Not "it's just wrong","i just think it's wrong" there's a difference.

And ok fair enough I guess you didn't technically insult me, I don't usually argue with people about stuff like this so...yeah.
06-28-2013 11:09 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

my stance is that any non-sentient life or object, including fetuses, should not have any kind of moral precedence over any sentient life, like pregnant people. i would explain it in more detail but it's just too fucking obvious. fetuses are literally mindless, parasitic, lumps of cells. if your system of morality is not based on a concern for the well-being of sentient life, then you need to rethink the purpose of morality.

"I never said half the shit people say i did." -Albert Einstein

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail, there is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."-Stephen Hawking

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
06-28-2013 11:32 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Stance on Abortion

Quote:Not "it's just wrong","i just think it's wrong" there's a difference.

it makes you seem more modest but it doesn't change what you're saying.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail, there is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."-Stephen Hawking

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 11:42 AM by Potato.)
06-28-2013 11:37 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Stance on Abortion

"It's just wrong"= It's wrong because I think it is and everything I think must be true, for no reason
"I just think it's wrong"= My opinion is that it's wrong but I have reasons and I realize it's just my opinion

And yeah if the fetus is going to harm the chick then she should get an abortion; like I said I still think it should be legal; I think it's fucked up though when it's like a teenage girl who didn't use any protection and is just getting one because she's afraid of her parents being mad at her or some shit. I'll admit the thing I said about rape was sort of stupid, I mean if I were a chick and I got raped I think I would still give birth to the baby, but since I'm not a chick and I've never been pregnant and never will I don't really have any room to say anything about that...
06-28-2013 12:00 PM
cheeselover Offline
Rebel

Given 17 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

I debated with myself about posting anything here because from reading the previous discussion, I'm afraid I might get attacked or judged for what I say.

I still don't really feel safe to participate, but I figured I would anyhow for two reasons.

1) I figured my saying how I feel when I read this thread might generally help call attention to the emotional side of people's discussions on this forum. Probably some people know about how Steve is trying to make this forum a bit more of a caring/safe place for everyone, and I feel supportive of that goal. And I believe a good place to start is just to become more aware of the 'emotional undertones' of peoples threads. I don't know how many other people here share that goal or feel supportive of it, so I don't know how likely it is for this to make any difference, but I figured I would try anyhow.

2) I have been thinking about this topic on and off for years, and I still feel pretty undecided about it, so generally I feel open to people's feelings, thoughts and their reasons. Night seems to know a lot of information on the subject. I have questions about it which I haven't really sorted out in my mind yet.

Most of my life, I guess I have leaned toward being more pro-choice, but maybe that was mostly because I associate pro-life people with super religious conservative types, and not being one of them, I 'instinctively' took an opposing position.

But then I began to ask myself questions, like for example, what's the difference between killing a newborn baby and aborting it as a fetus?

If I am honest with myself, I feel considerably more pain when I think of someone killing a baby than killing a fetus. I don't know why this is. I don't know if that is natural, or if by nature I "should" feel similarly bad when thinking of someone killing a fetus, i.e. if I have somehow been socialized to not have empathy for fetuses, maybe in the same way a lot of people are socialized to not have empathy for/recognize the pain of children and teens who are imprisoned every day in schools.

I can understand why humans evolved empathy toward babies, since they are easy to see, touch, interact with, etc. so maybe it is harder to evolve empathy if you can't see the baby because it is unborn, I don't know. Maybe it's just me being messed up :/

I used to have a pro-life friend who didn't like the word "fetus", because she thought it objectified human life to the point where it's easier to kill it. But I don't really have a problem with the word fetus. To me, a fetus is still human, just in an earlier developmental stage than a baby, so the fact that the life in question is "just a fetus" doesn't convince me by itself that it is more acceptable to kill a fetus than a baby, anymore than it would be more acceptable to kill a baby over a child or teenager or adult.

Someone said that it's different because fetuses aren't sentient beings. I guess I agree with that, and that undeniably babies and children and adults have more consciousness than fetuses, at least as far as I'm aware. But I've also heard that fetuses are capable of learning and remembering voices that they hear while still inside the womb, and I also watched the video in which a fetus was being monitored for stress levels, and apparently it was affected when the mother and father were having an argument. I don't know if this is because the fetus has its own emotional responses, or if it's just because of the mother's stress or what, but it kind of convinced me that probably fetuses can feel something on some level. I've also heard that fetuses can feel pain after a certain number of weeks in the womb because their brain and spinal cord are sufficiently developed.

I told this to a friend of mine, and he said that maybe then it would be more acceptable to kill a fetus before they develop the ability to feel pain. I agreed, but then I thought, would it be "okay" to kill someone, say, a child, if you could be somehow sure that it wasn't going to cause them any physical or psychological pain? (Assuming society expected you take care of this child, but it is too burdensome or painful or traumatic for you to do it) most people would probably still feel bad killing the child in that situation, and say something like, "why not just put them up for adoption?".

Yet somehow, maybe the same people wouldn't say the same for a fetus, and they would accept abortion as an acceptable solution.

It just seems funny to me to think of someone saying that they weren't in a position to take care for baby, so they decided to kill it. But somehow, this is okay as long as the baby is unborn.

I guess I am still mostly pro-choice, despite how I'm sounding, but I can't rationalize it intellectually or philosophically or whatever to myself.

Hypothetically, if I had a baby that I couldn't keep or take care of, I wouldn't want them to go to an orphanage or to foster parents, since I also have a pretty bad impression of those places and that kind of life. It seems to me that if you really cared about someone, and you knew their life was very likely to be really painful and shitty, then you wouldn't want to bring them into the world.
06-29-2013 03:53 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

Quote:Someone said that it's different because fetuses aren't sentient beings.
That's probably me.

Quote:But I've also heard that fetuses are capable of learning and remembering voices that they hear while still inside the womb, and I also watched the video in which a fetus was being monitored for stress levels, and apparently it was affected when the mother and father were having an argument.
1. After how many weeks? Fetuses don't even develop brainwaves until 9 weeks or so.
2. Is any of this a conscious reaction? Ants can also get stressed and they may be capable of remembering to some basic degree (for example, a rock is in their way) but it's rather doubtful that they experience and feel anything.

Quote:I've also heard that fetuses can feel pain after a certain number of weeks in the womb because their brain and spinal cord are sufficiently developed.
Certainly; a baby is not graced with the ability to feel when it pops out of its mother's vagina. Once again, however, this takes a while to develop. Ultimately, pain is irrelevant; if the fetus can feel pain it is also conscious, and at that point I consider it inhumane to abort.
06-29-2013 04:48 AM
HeartoftheNorth Offline
Sharkamander

Given 13 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

I'm very pro-choice. I don't feel like typing up a huge post about why, so I'll just sit here and watch everyone rage at each other. Maybe occasionally I'll throw in something.

"What if Morgan Freeman was Jesus?"
"Well you know what?! I'd... actually, I'd be okay with that."
06-29-2013 04:54 AM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Stance on Abortion

Okay, I think this is a good time to tell everyone my thoughts.

When my mom first told me about the concept of abortion, I became pro-life on the spot. I never considered abortion murder, but I thought it was "making a human not exist", and that was wrong. A few years later, I changed my main principles, to something similar to the Wiccan Rede. "An it harm none, do as thou wilt." When I looked at abortion again, I noticed something: either way, it harms someone. If the fetus gets taken out, it doesn't get the experience of living. Or, the woman will live in torment for almost a year for a baby she doesn't want. Not to mention this torment can be linked to the traumatizing experience of rape. This moral system does not allow a decision on abortion.

So, I thought about when human life begins. Of course, it begins at conception. The cells that make up the fetus are indeed alive. But, is it human life? Many people would say "Yes, it is. These cells have human DNA, so it's human". But what makes human life special over other forms of life? In, my opinion, it's our superior intellect. When does that develop? Lime is right, around 9 weeks. But, a 3 week fetus will develop to that point, with time. So, we could judge a fetus by what it is, or what it will be. So, 2 questions for us as a society; When and how is the status of "human" granted? Do we judge a fetus as what it is, or what it will be?

Now, I move on to the body of the woman. Even if the fetus has reached the point of sentience, does it have a right to be within another person against their wish? The fetus is literally a parasite to a woman. If the woman doesn't want to be in a parasitic relationship with another being, does she have the right to terminate it? Also, the main point of abortion isn't to "kill" the fetus, it's to get it out of the uterus ("killing" it in the process). Does the woman have a right to do this?

So there's my thoughts on a few of the things I've considered when trying to determine my stance. Sorry if I ramble a bit.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
06-29-2013 05:46 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

(06-29-2013 04:54 AM)HeartoftheNorth Wrote:  I'm very pro-choice. I don't feel like typing up a huge post about why, so I'll just sit here and watch everyone rage at each other. Maybe occasionally I'll throw in something.
Do you mind if I take a screen shot of this post and put it on Tumblr? I find this amusing and I know others will too lol

I'm back~
06-29-2013 05:59 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Stance on Abortion

Quote:That's probably me.

no it wasn't you

Quote:Certainly; a baby is not graced with the ability to feel when it pops out of its mother's vagina.

wrong. http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ness-arise

Quote:What is fascinating is the discovery that the fetus is actively sedated by the low oxygen pressure (equivalent to that at the top of Mount Everest), the warm and cushioned uterine environment and a range of neuroinhibitory and sleep-inducing substances produced by the placenta and the fetus itself: adenosine; two steroidal anesthetics, allopregnanolone and pregnanolone; one potent hormone, prostaglandin D2; and others. The role of the placenta in maintaining sedation is revealed when the umbilical cord is closed off while keeping the fetus adequately supplied with oxygen. The lamb embryo now moves and breathes continuously. From all this evidence, neonatologists conclude that the fetus is asleep while its brain matures.

One complication ensues. When people awaken during REM sleep, they often report vivid dreams with extensive narratives. Although consciousness during dreams is not the same as during wakefulness—most noticeably insight and self-reflection are absent—dreams are consciously experienced and felt. So does the fetus dream when in REM sleep? This is not known. But what would it dream of?

After birth, dream content is informed by recent and more remote memories. Longitudinal studies of dreaming in children by retired American psychologist David Foulkes suggest that dreaming is a gradual cognitive development that is tightly linked to the capacity to imagine things visually and to visuospatial skills. Thus, preschoolers’ dreams are often static and plain, with no characters that move or act, hardly any feelings and no memories. What would dreaming be like for an organism that spends its time suspended in a sort of isolation tank, with no memories, and no way to imagine anything at all? I wager that the fetus experiences nothing in utero; that it feels the way we do when we are in a deep, dreamless sleep.

The dramatic events attending delivery by natural (vaginal) means cause the brain to abruptly wake up, however. The fetus is forced from its paradisic existence in the protected, aqueous and warm womb into a hostile, aerial and cold world that assaults its senses with utterly foreign sounds, smells and sights, a highly stressful event.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2013 08:27 AM by Potato.)
06-29-2013 08:21 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

Here's my two cents: if it's your body, you have the right to abort a fetus. If you don't want to be pregnant, you have a right to terminate the pregnancy. Why should this be a right?

1) Reduction in the population
2) Reduction in crime rates
3) Reduction in misery.

If that doesn't settle it, it's because it doesn't. But this is what I take a stand for. Your uterus is your property, and if you don't want a fucking fetus in there, then kick the sucker out. If the only reason you don't get an abortion is because hurr durr life begins at conception, then you're going to raise a miserable child.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
06-29-2013 08:47 AM
HeartoftheNorth Offline
Sharkamander

Given 13 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

(06-29-2013 05:59 AM)Thade_Chan Wrote:  
(06-29-2013 04:54 AM)HeartoftheNorth Wrote:  I'm very pro-choice. I don't feel like typing up a huge post about why, so I'll just sit here and watch everyone rage at each other. Maybe occasionally I'll throw in something.
Do you mind if I take a screen shot of this post and put it on Tumblr? I find this amusing and I know others will too lol
Go for it.

"What if Morgan Freeman was Jesus?"
"Well you know what?! I'd... actually, I'd be okay with that."
06-29-2013 10:01 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Stance on Abortion

Quote:Do we judge a fetus as what it is, or what it will be?
If we go by that logic, why do we need to begin at the fetus? The egg is also life, is it not?

Quote:wrong.
I read that in the Terminator's voice.

Anyhow, thank you for enlightening me.
06-29-2013 12:19 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

No. The egg is this:
[Image: 2482861-scrambled_eggs_lg.jpg]

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-29-2013 02:58 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

(06-29-2013 02:58 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  No. The egg is this:
[Image: 2482861-scrambled_eggs_lg.jpg]
Nom.

Anyway, I don't really think of it like an egg. I think of it as something with a lot of potentional. The human that comes from the fetus could be Joe Schmo the Mailman, or it could be the next Albert Einstein. We will never know if we don't see what happens.

Sub's Mental Log!

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
06-29-2013 04:32 PM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Stance on Abortion

Yes, but plenty of eggs are passed and nobody raises any concern about that.
06-30-2013 12:41 AM
 Thanks given by: Potato
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

I agree with Night completely. I'm just terrible at explaining.

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

06-30-2013 04:31 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Stance on Abortion

You aren't alive until you live, love and dream. Doesn't matter if you're already human, since humans are terrible things. It's what grows and develops inside the soul of the human that make them amazing people.

That sounds tacky, and is only my opinion, but I believe it to be true.

And no, what I said isn't religious (Or at least it wasn't intended to be) or scientific. Just my opinion.

I love discussions like these because I'm so entitled to my own opinion and beliefs that I can feel a small bit of freedom in me (I dream of freedom).

06-30-2013 05:15 AM
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Stance on Abortion

Oh, and this thread reminded me of a joke from http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/commen...bsolutely/ that http://forums.school-survival.net/member...e&uid=4722 posted about.

Mike gets a call at work he had been waiting for. The baby is coming and the wife's already at the hospital! He hightails it from work gets there as fast as he can, and paces in the waiting room. A few minutes pass and a doctor comes out and asks "Are you Mr. Smith?" "Yes yes what's the news?" "you need to see this, its unbelievable but, YOUR CHILD CAN FLY.

Mike gives a puzzled look and follows him into the nursery ward. The doctor walks right up to the newborn in the crib and picks him up slightly and then lets go. The baby lands softly back on the crib. "Hmm weird, he just did it a second ago" So the doctor picks the baby up out of the crib and lets go. The baby hits the ground with a sickening thud. By now Mike is furious.

"NO IM SERIOUS HE JUST DID IT A SECOND AGO SEE LOOK" And with that, the doctor opens up the window on the fifth floor nursery and slings the baby out the window. The baby boomerangs right into a parked car, shattering the windshield.

Just as Mike reaches his arm back to punch the ever living shit out of the doctor he says, "Nah man I'm just messing with ya. It was a stillborn".

Laugh

06-30-2013 05:24 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Stance on Abortion

I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, I'm for abortion because it's killing babies. On the other hand, I'm against abortion because it's giving women rights.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-30-2013 06:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let's talk about abortion Sunbourn 54 25,847 06-19-2017 01:53 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  This is Why Abortion Should be Legal. Night 52 18,253 04-06-2013 05:09 AM
Last Post: thewake
  is it moral for women to have the right to abortion? Potato 60 18,432 11-29-2012 03:10 PM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Ramble about abortion. Prince Rilian 16 11,749 02-11-2012 09:04 AM
Last Post: avrillavigne12251
  The Only Moral Abortion is my Abortion aaaaaaasd 14 7,420 10-13-2011 04:36 PM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Taking a stance on things Faby 46 7,389 09-17-2011 03:54 AM
Last Post: UnschoolShqiponjë
  Abortion Thoughts Guest 152 20,795 06-09-2011 08:55 AM
Last Post: gore goroth
  Abortion SethyDavidG 40 7,803 12-03-2009 04:56 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Doesn't Christianity Encourage suicide and abortion? True Strasserist 7 4,154 03-20-2009 05:41 AM
Last Post: True Strasserist
  Abortion is sick sonoftheking 17 5,476 09-28-2008 09:31 AM
Last Post: mudkip liek