RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I've been withdrawn from all of my classes...
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I just got a letter in the mail today from the school district stating that I've been withdrawn from all of my classes due to being absent more than 15 times this semester.

Apparently, they'll withdraw you even if all of the absences were excused. The district's attendance policy last year was if you have more than 15 unexcused absences, you get withdrawn. This year, they don't care if the absences are excused or not.

In all honesty, I don't mind being kicked out all that much. The only thing I'll miss is the choir. But, I must say, I miss nothing else. I don't regret it much at all, other than that.

My mom wants to file for an appeal, but she's not going to be the one writing the letter to the district. I will be the one, but her name will be the one signed at the bottom. But, the thing is, I don't want to go back. No longer having to deal with school means that I will have no obstacles between me and what is important (to learn and gain experience through living and doing, along with research, at the moment, plus other things).

I have talked to my mom about the possibility of unschooling a couple of times. I've come really close to convinving her one time, which was the last time I've talked to her about it. But she went to my school counselor and asked him for his thoughts. Being the asshole that he is, he went ahead and told my mom that the homeschooling stuff was complete and utter bullshit (in those exact words). My mom, thinking that he was the expert on all related to education, thinks that his words completely invalidates any logical, reasonable argument I gave before she talked to him.

So, I'm stuck. Should I go ahead and write the letter filing for an appeal, just to appease her, or not? I honestly would rather not write one, but I don't know if that's a good decision.

I often forget about the existence of the thanks button on these forums...

If my writing happens to be too sporadic, too brief, or missing information, call me out on it.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma."
~ Patrick Star
03-31-2013 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ryukenden Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

You know, if your classes is excused, you most clear it with your professor so they can clear it and don't drop you, In this case they did. With that said, 15 times is a lot of classes missed. In my college, there are only 16 weeks.
03-31-2013 03:13 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I've been absent a month.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-01-2013 12:51 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: So I've been withdrawn from all of my classes...

Is this high school or college?

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
04-01-2013 01:18 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Quote:But she went to my school counselor and asked him for his thoughts. Being the asshole that he is, he went ahead and told my mom that the homeschooling stuff was complete and utter bullshit (in those exact words).
What a cunt.

What sort of parent is your mother, as far as child care goes?
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 02:41 AM by Lime.)
04-01-2013 02:40 AM
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

(04-01-2013 01:18 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  Is this high school or college?

High school.

Lime Wrote:What a cunt.

What sort of parent is your mother, as far as child care goes?

My mom lets me live in the house, have food, etc. Basic amenities have always been quite good. On the other hand, we're not exactly close to each other. I can't really talk to her about serious issues without her plugging her ears, saying, "Unknown-Creation, I have a headache! Go away!" every time.

If my writing happens to be too sporadic, too brief, or missing information, call me out on it.

~ Patrick Star
04-01-2013 03:56 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Is she harsh and punishing? If you feel like you'll get into a nasty situation by not writing the letter, perhaps you will need to endure a few more years of hell.
04-01-2013 06:44 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Do you mind saying what state you're in?

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
04-01-2013 07:05 AM
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

(04-01-2013 06:44 AM)Lime Wrote:  Is she harsh and punishing? If you feel like you'll get into a nasty situation by not writing the letter, perhaps you will need to endure a few more years of hell.

Currently, she actually hasn't given me a hard time about the withdrawal. I'm perplexed, and I wonder if I should use this opportunity to go ahead and "challenge" her a bit. I'm leaning towards not writing the letter, but she can go ahead and write the letter herself if I choose not to (she is technically supposed to be the one writing it, anyway). I still haven't made a decision yet, though. I still have a few days to make the decision.

TheCancer Wrote:Do you mind saying what state you're in?

I live in the state of Alaska.

~ Patrick Star
04-01-2013 12:52 PM
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

You may want to contact some home school moms in your area and see if they would be willing to talk with your mother. Most mothers are very nervous about home schooling because they think is it difficult, complex, and requires advanced training. Moms who have been homeschooling for awhile know that it is children that learn and not teachers that teach.

You want to avoid the Moms that use a curriculum and essentially do "school" at home. It might be more helpful to follow the "unschool" path as you suggested earlier.
04-02-2013 12:46 AM
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

(04-02-2013 12:46 AM)timf Wrote:  You may want to contact some home school moms in your area and see if they would be willing to talk with your mother. Most mothers are very nervous about home schooling because they think is it difficult, complex, and requires advanced training. Moms who have been homeschooling for awhile know that it is children that learn and not teachers that teach.

You want to avoid the Moms that use a curriculum and essentially do "school" at home. It might be more helpful to follow the "unschool" path as you suggested earlier.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I'll consider doing that. Smile

~ Patrick Star
04-02-2013 02:02 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:I can't really talk to her about serious issues without her plugging her ears, saying, "Unknown-Creation, I have a headache! Go away!" every time.
Literally? That's a really odd way to behave.

And yeah, definitely look up homeschooling groups and stuff like that in your area.

Some stuff that might help convince your mother:
http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...?tid=28471
http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...?tid=26147

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
04-02-2013 02:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

(04-01-2013 12:52 PM)Unknown-Creation Wrote:  Currently, she actually hasn't given me a hard time about the withdrawal. I'm perplexed, and I wonder if I should use this opportunity to go ahead and "challenge" her a bit. I'm leaning towards not writing the letter, but she can go ahead and write the letter herself if I choose not to (she is technically supposed to be the one writing it, anyway). I still haven't made a decision yet, though. I still have a few days to make the decision.
Don't write the letter. If she's adamant about public school, she can write it herself.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 07:40 AM by Lime.)
04-02-2013 07:40 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Yeah, don't write the letter. If she attempts to write it, subtly sabotage her efforts.

You've got an opening to get out of school once and for all. Take it.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-02-2013 09:19 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

I spent quite some time away from public school as I had been suspended from mainstream schooling and then got kicked out of the night-school program I was attending in 8th grade. I learned more in my time outside of school than I would have ever learned boxed in a classroom. Don't write the letter and do what you want. Wink

Who am I? Who are YOU?
04-02-2013 09:33 AM
Unknown-Creation Offline
Forever Watching

SoulRiser, thank you for those links. I'll show them to her at some point.

Lime, DoA, and |55555|: Thanks for the encouragement. I won't write the letter. Smile She can write it herself if she really wants me to go back.

Also, I have some news. Apparently, my mom got a call from the attendance principal. There are SBA and HSGQE tests going on throughout the week starting tomorrow, and she wants me to come back to take those tests. This person is the same person who wrote that letter to me in the first place. Why didn't she just write that in the letter to begin with?

Anyway, mom wants me to show up and take the tests to "prove" my smartness to her. Great. Way to show that you have no confidence in your daughter, unless someone else has good things to say. :/

I'll end up showing up for those tests. The attendance principal said they might consider appealing withdrawal if I do well on those tests. Even if they end up wanting me back, I'm not going to consider going back there unless a compromise can be made: allow me to drop all of my classes, minus choir, and allow me independent study time in place of the dropped classes. I've had enough of the bullshit. The chances of this proposal being allowed are probably slim, but hey, if they don't take it, I won't go back.

~ Patrick Star
04-02-2013 11:37 AM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I was going to recommend going Bartleby Project on it, but since they've given you a plea bargain, go for it.

I myself am currently away from the public school system, but for a different reason entirely. Anonymous letter accusing me of conspiracy to commit racially motivated shooting -> get arrested -> spend 72 hours in psych ward -> expulsion from school.

Who knew being a foreign HS freshman would open up such an exciting journey of police state tribulations?
04-02-2013 11:42 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Oh, they think they're giving you a second chance? They aren't getting away with threatening you that easily.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
04-03-2013 08:00 AM