RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hey Everybody!
TheRevolutionWillNotBeTelevised Offline
Weird Psychonaut Revolutionary Dreamer

Given 14 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Hey Everybody!

I'm new on the forums, but I've been visiting this site for a long time and reading through it. It's rich in valuable and valid ideas on modern schools and their injustices. I think everyone should see this site and view it as a voice for the generation. To me, this is one of the few beautiful pieces of social and cultural activism in the information age. That is rare in a generation that is so numbed by consumer electronics, mass media and corporate culture. When I say that, though, don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-technology, just like this site isn't anti-learning. I just think that for this generation to be awake and maintain their rights and individuality as well as health, they need to moderate and draw the lines between the virtual/electronic environment and reality. When you don't have a certain level of independence or comfort being away from something a corporation designed to sell to you, then there is a level of your individuality and freedom being taken away. It shapes your perception and condition of life, numbing you and regulating a routine involving numbers of hours staring at a screen.

I get sidetracked too easily. I write. I would very much like to be educated in a way where I felt more motivated, involved, and permitted to follow what I have genuine interest in. I am trying to get out of my public school to transfer to a charter school (based on experiencing 6th grade in a charter school, learning is more open-minded and individual based there). Also, however, I want to make change in the public school institution I attend and have spoken of reform. A new public school that is truly for the people, emphasizing concepts like: abolishing the statistic-based system of grades, later hours with more consideration to the hours of sleep humans need and the hours of awakening, smaller establishments based on the local community, etc. I have even written editorials in my school newspaper about this. This site inspires me to have awareness and (overall) disgust in the way the education institution is in these modern times. I would love to discuss and share ideas in the forums, and for that I say hello.

If you're interested, check out some writing I've posted online here: http://pfafflewaffle123.deviantart.com/
02-20-2013 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: GamerGurl , no , Ky , SoulRiser
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
Hey Everybody!

Welcome, and thank you for officially joining the revolution!

I'm going to get ready to go grocery shopping soon (I like shopping during the evening hours), and when I have time later I will definitely read what you've written. It may help me in my goal to create a KONY styled video. I'll be sure to credit you, too. Wink

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
02-20-2013 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
Hey Everybody!

Greetings, fellow humanoid! You sound a lot like I did when I first signed up. I like the fact that you're trying to change the school system a little at a time so that the current supporters might actually buy into it. That's a trait that's a little too rare among the people here... myself included.

Also, epic name! Biggrin

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
02-20-2013 11:14 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Hey Everybody!

I just support radical change. You know, riots, effigy burning, revolution and that sort of chaotic storm. It's a lot more exciting.

I kid. But your writings seem interesting, I'll probably read more into them soon. And welcome to this site, your revolutionary energy lightens it(actually, that's just me upping the brightness of the monitor)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-20-2013 11:35 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Hey Everybody!

Quite verbose, aren't you?

Well, welcome to School Survival, where walls of text are something of an oddity, but certainly aren't foreign to us. A hatred of school is recommended, but sanity is completely optional.

I'm quite interested in what you might consider the lines between our electronic environments and reality...in fact, I'm writing a blog post somewhat connected to the subject right now.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
02-20-2013 11:40 AM

RE: Hey Everybody!

(02-20-2013 11:40 AM)DoA Wrote:  Quite verbose, aren't you?

Well, welcome to School Survival, where walls of text are something of an oddity, but certainly aren't foreign to us. A hatred of school is recommended, but sanity is completely optional.

I'm quite interested in what you might consider the lines between our electronic environments and reality...in fact, I'm writing a blog post somewhat connected to the subject right now.

I didn't mean to get too wordy, but it happens naturally with me. Especially when I get into some I'm passionate about, like despising school and reforming it. I like to be positive when I can though, I'd choose peaceful protest over riot.

What I'd consider the lines between an unhealthy electronic environment and real life, and this is strictly my opinion (I'm not imposing this on anyone), but people should moderate their use of technology and a virtual world so that time spent on it doesn't overpower time spent in the real world. Knowing is half the battle, too. The majority of the generation mindlessly cashes in to the trending online communities like Facebook and Twitter with little discretion to the emphasis they put on these things in their lives and how much of a replacement they serve as for human interaction and things of the matter. Doing that kind of thing just makes you a member of a flooding herd, numbed and unable to speak out or stand up for individuality.
02-20-2013 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(02-20-2013 11:35 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I just support radical change. You know, riots, effigy burning, revolution and that sort of chaotic storm. It's a lot more exciting.

I kid. But your writings seem interesting, I'll probably read more into them soon. And welcome to this site, your revolutionary energy lightens it(actually, that's just me upping the brightness of the monitor)

Ha! Hey, I do think that kind of action can be necessary in extremely oppressive forms of society. John Locke was cold-blooded but he still had individual rights in mind, and when a government is selfish sometimes all you can bring to them is chaos because it's the only way they'll listen.
02-20-2013 12:12 PM

(02-20-2013 11:14 AM)planetfall666 Wrote:  Greetings, fellow humanoid! You sound a lot like I did when I first signed up. I like the fact that you're trying to change the school system a little at a time so that the current supporters might actually buy into it. That's a trait that's a little too rare among the people here... myself included.

Also, epic name! Biggrin

As much as I support drastic change of the education institution, I think the only way you can get those in charge of education to listen is when you work up that change slowly. When you come up to them with extreme ideas that shake the foundation of the way we learn they are often quick to dismiss you as a supporter of what they'd call "radical garbage". Of course, it's ridiculous. I would like them to open their minds in any way they can, though. If it has to be taken in slow steps then so be it. I'm just elaborating on what you already said though. Change is coming.
02-20-2013 12:18 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hey Everybody!

Narrow-minds need to be slowly wedged open, or else they may break and snap shut.

You would think that the Renaissance, Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment would've had some affect. It seems like such periods only have influence for a short period of time before humanity falls to its typical ignorance.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
02-20-2013 01:02 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

what's your favorite movie?

who's your favorite actor?

do you prefer cartoons or CSI(or anything that isn't a cartoon/anime)?

what are your thoughts on Castle and Nathan Fillion?

random questions over, WELCOME!

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013 01:10 AM by Heil_Kaiba8921.)
02-21-2013 01:10 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hey there!

Don't worry about writing "too much" - the lazy "TL;DR" people will skip it, but that's okay, we have other people who actually enjoy reading interesting things.

I think I know what you mean about people being addicted to tech toys... like, they can't stare out a window and just use their imagination, they'd rather be staring at a little screen, looking for something else to keep them busy...

I do a bit of both. But I do enjoy just sitting and staring and pondering stuff. I very rarely get bored... most of the stuff on Twitter/Facebook is actually boring compared to the stuff my imagination can come up with. Except actual news posted by friends I care about, but that doesn't happen nearly as much as re-posts of memes and silly stuff.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-21-2013 02:47 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hey Everybody!

Sometimes I stare at my computer screen for absolutely no reason. I just sit there staring at whatever page I was on(most likely Wikipedia, a favorite of mine). Then I abruptly snap out of it and continue doing whatever the hell I was doing.

If I'm not reading, watching TV, playing on my PS3 or PC, I'll probably be doing some "acting" as I call it. Helps let my creativity flow and pretty much calms me. It may seem childish for some people but that's just prejudiced.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-21-2013 05:11 AM

(02-21-2013 02:47 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Hey there!

Don't worry about writing "too much" - the lazy "TL;DR" people will skip it, but that's okay, we have other people who actually enjoy reading interesting things.

I think I know what you mean about people being addicted to tech toys... like, they can't stare out a window and just use their imagination, they'd rather be staring at a little screen, looking for something else to keep them busy...

I do a bit of both. But I do enjoy just sitting and staring and pondering stuff. I very rarely get bored... most of the stuff on Twitter/Facebook is actually boring compared to the stuff my imagination can come up with. Except actual news posted by friends I care about, but that doesn't happen nearly as much as re-posts of memes and silly stuff.

You founded this site? That's really great. You rule. Biggrin I would like to thank you for creating such a community, where although we're not banding together physically we can all communicate and share a mutual passion for standing up against school. This is the first thing that comes up (I'm pretty sure) when you google "anti-school" and I'm sure many who've been fed up with their school have searched that very thing and seen this site, ultimately being inspired to form an opinion and speak out. Maybe one day we can all even truly join together in our cities and be part of a movement for changing school and society altogether. I think that even Occupy should have had more emphasis on schools in America. Of course Occupy was destroyed by government bulldozers and police... It's really sickening.

Sitting, staring, and pondering stuff is what philosophy is often born out of! You are very right. Technology is an excellent tool and when it can serve it's purpose, it does. I just blame the inability of this generation to be able to care about the issues in society/the world enough to go outside and make change in more effective ways on our total submergence in modern tech. A number of different things factor into it, but as corporations are becoming stronger and homogenizing the country we are becoming more and more of a mindless herd buying into electronics and mass media. I've seen it first hand, I can see it in school especially. Kids care less and less about the real world (ironic that there is a television show called "the real world" that there is nothing real about) as they become more and more brainwashed by what their sold. Just the other day, the only teacher I have true respect for (Mr. Healy, my global studies teacher) showed a video on the civil war in Syria. It showed what was happening and is still happening as I type this. People are dying. Soldiers, civilians... Men, women, children.. Anyone. There is a revolt there that is causing the oppressive government to bomb their own nation to shreds. The video showed images of a dead married couple in a burnt out car holding on to each other for dear life. It made me think about Call of Duty. It made me realize how ridiculous it is when you think about how what I was looking at was real life, but it looked exactly like a Treyarch production. Then there were kids laughing and talking in the back, wearing their hideous corporate designer clothes that are all chasing after the same image of default male and female. They didn't have the least bit of care for what is really happening. So I'd say the generation collectively is corrupt and we need to wake up and go outside more to save ourselves and the future.

That's the generation as a whole I'm speaking of, though. Everyone on this website is extraordinary. Everyone here sees that change is needed and it is unjust to grow up in the conditions that we do. Thanks again.
02-21-2013 09:12 AM

(02-21-2013 05:11 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Sometimes I stare at my computer screen for absolutely no reason. I just sit there staring at whatever page I was on(most likely Wikipedia, a favorite of mine). Then I abruptly snap out of it and continue doing whatever the hell I was doing.

If I'm not reading, watching TV, playing on my PS3 or PC, I'll probably be doing some "acting" as I call it. Helps let my creativity flow and pretty much calms me. It may seem childish for some people but that's just prejudiced.

Anything with creative flow is great, man. Creating is productive, and that's awesome.

Ah, Wikipedia. One of the things that bothers me the most in the routine of the average teacher is the way they paint a false picture of Wikipedia. As if Wikipedia is some kind of deeply inaccurate piece of crap with no valid information. I have never seen anything vandalized or inaccurate on Wikipedia. I realize that you can edit Wikipedia. That, to me, is a great thing. It's the concept of a total information collective for the people and by the people put to life. The thing is that any inaccuracy or purposeful b.s. added to the sites pages will be taken off in 2 minutes tops. The edits are monitored and only manipulated when it's wrong information. Despite the monstrously large convenience Wikipedia is to the information age, one small inconvenience causes it to be frown upon in most schools. It's stupid.
02-21-2013 09:21 AM

(02-21-2013 01:10 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  what's your favorite movie?

who's your favorite actor?

do you prefer cartoons or CSI(or anything that isn't a cartoon/anime)?

what are your thoughts on Castle and Nathan Fillion?

random questions over, WELCOME!

My favorite movie... I don't know, that's tough. I saw a kind of "progressive" (even though I despise that term, it fits) documentary called ReGeneration that was really, really great and relevant. I don't think I can name a favorite movie but I love surrealism so any movie directed by David Lynch is amazing. I also like Fight Club, Donnie Darko, Lost In Translation, American Beauty, Wall-E, Kids, and a billion others, ha.

I'm torn between Bill Murray (who I have a strange obsession with) and Leonardo DiCaprio who I legitimately think is fantastic. If I were being weird and not-so-serious, I'd say Bill Murray all the way. If I were being serious and somewhat formal I'd say Leo. They both rule.

I couldn't say, I don't watch T.V.

I don't know anything about either of those.

Thanks for the welcome Biggrin
02-21-2013 09:28 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hey Everybody!

Wikipedia has, I think, 6000 mods who are able to check a log that tells them what has been edited,what the edit was and why(if it was a legitimate edit and the person who edited it put why they changed). Wikipedia also has a bunch of sources in its articles. Hell, they've got a single button that will automatically revert the article to it's default state. Of course if the teacher doesn't bother to research it but relies on incorrect rumors, why should we listen to anything else they have to say.

Usually when a teacher tells me not to use it, I'll open Wikipedia then follow the sources. I honestly think the teachers are just upset they had to go through so much trouble during their childhood, before Wikipedia was create, to do research and think that letting us use Wikipedia is a fast way out. But then why should I walk all the way around the hill if I could just go over(considering the fact there is absolutely no harm in going up. Not to mention you see more from above). Such an issue is something I use to judge how good a teacher really is. If they refuse to let us use Wikipedia and give the reason it is false, I deem them as inept and not fit to teach.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-21-2013 09:36 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

You should get on Netflix (or YT) and look up Castle then because the main character is played by Nathan Fillion who is like Bill Murray wherein most of his roles he constantly is joking and doesn't seem that serious even though he is...for a good movie of his check out Serenity or the show Firefly(freaking FOX cancelled it so usually people just put Serenity/Firefly...irrelevance)

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

02-21-2013 02:48 PM
 Thanks given by: TheRevolutionWillNotBeTelevised
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hey Everybody!

Serenity and Firefly. Oh right, I intended to watch those.
(I saw one episode of Castle. Pretty good in my opinion.)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-21-2013 02:57 PM

(02-21-2013 02:48 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  You should get on Netflix (or YT) and look up Castle then because the main character is played by Nathan Fillion who is like Bill Murray wherein most of his roles he constantly is joking and doesn't seem that serious even though he is...for a good movie of his check out Serenity or the show Firefly(freaking FOX cancelled it so usually people just put Serenity/Firefly...irrelevance)

Thanks, I will definitely check those out. Anything affiliated with Bill Murray is automatically better to me. That's even what made me get into the movie Zombieland, ha. There is a lot of good television shows I'm missing out on by not having cable I'm sure, but it's worth it to not deal with channels like FOX, CNN, MTV, etc. and all their propaganda/b.s.
02-21-2013 09:48 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hey Everybody!

I haven't had cable TV for a few months already. It's all netflix and "project free tv"(Good site with free TV shows and videos. I'd suggest it greatly for those shows you can't find on netflix for streaming)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
02-22-2013 08:02 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:You founded this site? That's really great. You rule. I would like to thank you for creating such a community, where although we're not banding together physically we can all communicate and share a mutual passion for standing up against school.
Hug

Quote:Maybe one day we can all even truly join together in our cities and be part of a movement for changing school and society altogether. I think that even Occupy should have had more emphasis on schools in America. Of course Occupy was destroyed by government bulldozers and police... It's really sickening.
It's not just America, though. I'm in South Africa, and many members here are from all over the world. Schools suck pretty much everywhere.

Caring about bad things is good... but I think you have to be careful to not let it make you depressed... being depressed doesn't solve anything, and just makes you enjoy life less (and possibly affects people who care about you as well). Sometimes it may be necessary to avoid knowing about bad things that you can't do anything about (I actually do this... I avoid the news, I avoid politics, I avoid reading about people dying in horrible ways... I'll rather just focus on one or 2 things, as long as I'm doing something to help someone somewhere, I don't really want to know about horrible things too much... It makes me sad and I don't like being sad...)

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-22-2013 11:01 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

i found a picture for us and i'm gonna let everybody else spread it around the site

http://9gag.com/gag/6635847

and i'm not doing this in the editor because i'm being lazy...so deal with it.

now...

Once you actually see Nathan Fillion in a movie, you'll probably be like "him and BM are nothing alike!" but i say their acting styles are pretty similar...i also just needed to make this not a bit of a spam post lol

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

02-23-2013 02:06 AM

(02-22-2013 11:01 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:You founded this site? That's really great. You rule. I would like to thank you for creating such a community, where although we're not banding together physically we can all communicate and share a mutual passion for standing up against school.
Hug

Quote:Maybe one day we can all even truly join together in our cities and be part of a movement for changing school and society altogether. I think that even Occupy should have had more emphasis on schools in America. Of course Occupy was destroyed by government bulldozers and police... It's really sickening.
It's not just America, though. I'm in South Africa, and many members here are from all over the world. Schools suck pretty much everywhere.

Caring about bad things is good... but I think you have to be careful to not let it make you depressed... being depressed doesn't solve anything, and just makes you enjoy life less (and possibly affects people who care about you as well). Sometimes it may be necessary to avoid knowing about bad things that you can't do anything about (I actually do this... I avoid the news, I avoid politics, I avoid reading about people dying in horrible ways... I'll rather just focus on one or 2 things, as long as I'm doing something to help someone somewhere, I don't really want to know about horrible things too much... It makes me sad and I don't like being sad...)

It was super foolish of me to speak for just America, especially seeing as even the said Occupy movement was international. I think I just think of American schools when I think of an education system that is corrupt and declining, like most other things in America these days. I wonder about schools in other nations all the time. I'm not surprised the issue is beyond the states. I'd imagine it's just as bad in European countries (England especially, that judgement being based mostly on Peter Pan and Pink Floyd music videos, ha), and places alike. That's very cool you're in South Africa! It's no surprise schools are screwed there too. Things in South Africa have a tendency to be full of injustice and negativity, going way back with European imperialism. Even with that said it must be such a beautiful country.

You're right indeed. I get depressed very easily when I think about things too much. So does my girlfriend, who goes to the same school as I do and we both have a mutual disgust for the place and the system. It seems even more rough when you have oppressive, systematic schooling on one hand and a dumbed-down, brainwashed generation on the other. There is no social movement to stand up against the way we are schooled. I think that's the next step in the staircase of civil rights if you ask me. It can't happen unless people wake up.
02-28-2013 11:44 AM