RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Ways High School Makes You Hate Reading
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Yes, I know how the site is going downhill and no one wants to read anything from it, but this article in general pertains to this site and is pretty good.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-high-...te-reading

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 02:13 AM by Miller0700.)
10-03-2012 02:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)
RE: 4 Ways High School Makes You Hate Reading

once again i can't view something on my laptop during skool...atleast it's only because they don't want us to watch videos during skool (the funny thing is though, we can get on youtube no problem, just can't watch videos...not even at home)

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
10-03-2012 02:29 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Watch it at home.

Previously known as Derchin.
10-03-2012 04:21 AM
PlagueMeister Offline
Oppressed

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Almost every book I've read at school, (with the exception of Dr.Seuss and Lord of the Flies) I've absolutely hated.
I'm an avid reader at home, but when the book of choice is Romeo and Juliet or some other cliche "recommended read" I become illiterate.

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know." ~Socrates
10-03-2012 04:28 AM
zagix Offline
Banned

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/...nker_sucks
10-03-2012 05:38 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

I love cracked.com! They awesome!
10-04-2012 07:00 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Quote:There might be excessive exposition, laughable imagery, characters intended to be sympathetic who are grating or characters intended to be grating who are so grating that you can't pay attention to the story (Holden Caulfield).
THANK GOODNESS I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THOUGHT THAT

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-04-2012 08:00 AM
SomeRandomHuman Offline
Pariah

Given 83 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I agree. I liked reading when I was younger, and it was geronimo stilton or something good. I began hateing it later. At my school we have to read "to kill a mockingbird" and I hate it. It sucks ass.
10-04-2012 10:41 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Does your school have Witch and Wizard? It's really good.

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
10-07-2012 12:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Because the enjoyment of the book is rather like a frog. It tends to die in the dissection.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-06-2013 01:14 PM
 Thanks given by: no
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Our school has a "reader of the month" award, for a student from each grade who "reads" the most books. It's more like the student who takes the most reading test online.

I abhor tests on my leisure reading. Though I'd probably be "reader of this year and beyond", I refuse to take those absurd tests. Not to mention they don't really have the tests for my books(Yep. No reading test for my Introduction to Nuclear Physics).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-11-2013 11:49 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Well, yes, there's that too.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-11-2013 09:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I can't hate school enough Sunflower 7 13,320 06-24-2017 08:53 PM
Last Post: stevehein
  How can I go to college without finishing high school? xcriteria 10 10,581 05-31-2017 10:25 PM
Last Post: MariKlemz
  What to do if school makes you depressed and/or suicidal SoulRiser 36 16,567 05-31-2017 10:22 PM
Last Post: MariKlemz
  Aim High School? The man 6 4,022 05-29-2017 02:00 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Seeking people have dropped out of high school without parent support (for interview) xcriteria 4 2,765 05-05-2017 04:14 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  I Was the Queen Bee: 3 High-School Bullies Describe Their Reigns of Terror James Comey 0 1,654 04-25-2017 07:44 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  I wish I could go back to high school .... James Comey 23 10,880 04-08-2017 05:46 AM
  Worst year of high school? Dead 17 13,986 03-29-2017 09:00 AM
Shocked Please, punish yourself | She still thinks her High School is the best Lucas Gallindo 1 2,258 03-14-2017 07:39 PM
Last Post: sswbm
  i hate school so much.. lonelypanda 3 3,970 03-02-2017 12:26 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser