RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schools Are Prisons (And That's A Good Thing)
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

^ You're absolutely right. My question is...what are YOU going to do about it? You realize that having an opinion is only the beginning, correct?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-03-2012 03:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Given 63 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
RE: Schools Are Prisons (And That's A Good Thing)

(09-03-2012 03:29 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  WARNING!!!
WARNING!!!

EPIC RANT!!!

Why is everyone all the sudden in this "Under the Current System" mode??? Just because a huge majority of people have a watered down kind-of, sort-of, not really opinion on everything doesn't mean we have to. The reason why the whole anti-school movement hasn't gone anywhere until maybe the last few years is because all the anti-schoolers did was try to "change" the school system to suck less. People with this attitude about the cause against public schooling or really any political cause are going to get nowhere. It has been only very recently that anti-schoolers have come out of the closet and finally put their foot down on ENDING forced public school; sometimes even unschooling their own kids. Guess what happened???? It is actually now making a difference and shit is finally changing unschooling is starting to become popular little by little. Why??? Because radicalism is how things change and how shit gets done. Did we end slavery in the American South by trying to "change" slavery to make it less bad??? Did we try to "fix" slavery to make it better??? FUCK NO!!!!

Also, may I remind you all that forced public schooling was conceived as a means to brainwash kids into conformity and obedience, and not to educate or help children. This is not a super secret Illuminati TRUSTNO1 conspiracy, this is all fact and common knowledge. If we were all taught history in an unbiased way this would be a 3rd grade level history lesson. How could you possibly fix something that is this outright destructive and wrong?? This is like trying to "change" the mafia into a charity organization.

Seriously, people... I thought this was SS, not the republicans or democrats. Average opinions are for average people, and we are far from normal, average people. Half of the threads we make are about how we are so different from everyone else in one way or another or bitching about how the status quo is so bad and terrible. So why all the sudden are we bowing down to the status quo?? Why are we "working within the current system" when we know it is no use...

Wait a sec... I know why....

Its because "Derp I'm an adult now and having a real opinion is for darkandedgy fags".

/end of rant.
If we can't cure the cancer right away, the best we could do is at least smoke hella weed to make the pain go away and be happy and have an appetite again. This problem with school is more like civil rights then anti-slavery. Yes, it sucks, yes its fucked up, but its not bad enough to force its complete obliteration. I want to, but we just can't. Like civil rights, we have to protest and make changes one at a time until the whole system changes and no one even realizes how many changes we actually made by the end. I only said "under the current system" in reference to the current reality of our government. If we want to make changes there to (obv. yes) that is a somewhat different issue.

And btw I love that signature

The purpose of life is a life with a purpose
So I’d rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless
I don’t need the circus or the day of national observance
I need you to think for you and stop being a servant
-Immortal Technique, The Martyr, The Martyr
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 09:10 AM by IamNoone.)
09-03-2012 09:10 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Yeah, a funny thing that. Slow gradual changes... people hardly ever protest those, because each individual change on its own doesn't seem that bad. Reminds me of a story about a school I was at... Scratchchin

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-04-2012 03:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

(09-04-2012 03:07 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Yeah, a funny thing that. Slow gradual changes... people hardly ever protest those, because each individual change on its own doesn't seem that bad. Reminds me of a story about a school I was at... Scratchchin

STORY TIME!!

09-04-2012 03:55 AM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

Well done for that impressive rant. I must say, you have an excellent point. If your going to do something, do it right! I don't see how nobody who works in any government or position of authority can ignore such blatant evidence. Most kids aren't happy in school, and it's plain to see. I know for a fact most won't admit it, because they're scared of being told off. I worked something out though: if you refuse to comply with their punishments, there is nothing they an do. They aren't allowed to hurt you under child protection laws, so you are immune to them! That is a bit extreme, but it works. The only way to show these people what we truly think is to take it all the way. We can't stand by while this system is "improved" by making it harder, worse for all involved, and/or longer. Thats not an improvement people! It's worse! Sadly, all anyone in charge of schools cares about is money. They can't see what it is doing to children today. Someone needs to show the, through cold, hard research! I would happily protest against schools, if someone else within it would do it with me. I want to rebel, but it requires more than me! I hope you guys can get together and stage a mass protest against public schools (and to a lesser extent private schools) globally. It takes something of that magnitude to show people what we really think. It's time we stand together and make a difference!

This was written in my thought process, so if it doesn't make sense, that's why.
09-04-2012 07:51 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

About the resisting their punishment. That doesn't work a lot of the time. The problem is, they contact the parents. And kids either have to strong an attachment to the parents and can't resist the parents for any length of time, or if not that parents usually suck and will deprive the children of stuff if the kids disobey to much or just beat the kids. Yes, some parents might, but it takes effort to get the parents on board. Just keep this in mind, and prepare for it, it is an obstacle, but not insurmountable.

09-04-2012 12:03 PM
 Thanks given by: guts12 , SoulRiser
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Double post, my bad,

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 12:05 PM by IamNoone.)
09-04-2012 12:03 PM
guts12 Offline
Insane Survivor

Given 30 thank(s) in 22 post(s)

You pose an excellent point, one of which I have never thought about. If you can get your parents on board, you can proceed with said plan to your heart's content, but please don't give me credit. Also, I find the outsmarting teachers method to be inaffective with actually smart teachers, but can lead to something of value to you as a person. For example, I showed off my (basic) programming skills to my substitute IT teacher, and he suggested I join in a robotics endeavour. Sadly, said project was never started for reasons beyond my control. I do find also, that I end up with great teachers (I'm not bragging, I'm just pointing out flaws in my own theories), so I often get given extra work, which produces a different reaction each time to myself. However, we have some SHOCKING teachers in our school, none of which I shall name, who make the majority of the school want to slit their wrists instead of doing said lesson. These people are the people who make my school terrible, along with the clearly blind senior staff and assisstant teachers. (at this point, I'd suggest realising I do rants/talks like this a lot, so be prepared for more). I seriously wish that someone would see the true state of mine, and many others, schools, so that they make a move in the direction of fixing it!
09-05-2012 07:55 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

I find that the smartest teachers are generally on board with the anti school thing, and do the best they can given the circumstances. I only managed to get teachers to drop hints about how they hated the system twice.

09-05-2012 08:58 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

(09-04-2012 03:55 AM)IamNoone Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 03:07 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Yeah, a funny thing that. Slow gradual changes... people hardly ever protest those, because each individual change on its own doesn't seem that bad. Reminds me of a story about a school I was at... Scratchchin

STORY TIME!!

It's all here:
http://www.school-survival.net/about/my_school/

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-05-2012 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

Ok thanks.
EDIT: That was really depressing. Knowing that that school fell from grace is sad. It seemed almost ideal, in a way, and everyone seemed happy about it. Do you have any idea what happened? Did big brother get involved? Something with whoever owned the school?
You left out so many details :(

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 12:47 PM by IamNoone.)
09-05-2012 12:32 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

As far as I know it was pressure from parents that made them change it the way they did (well, that's what they told me anyway).

Also, that school shut down a while back. It's totally gone now. I wonder what would have happened if they actually listened to us?

Hidden stuff:
09-06-2012 04:59 AM
Galen Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The really fun part is that I totally predicted this very thread in the rant.

Half the shit you guys are arguing against in my rant is shit I didn't actually say. I think your lack of reading comprehension ability is evidence that I was right. Enjoy your failure Biggrin

[ SnipeMe.com | SnipeMe.net | @SnipeMe | Facebook ]

I'M LORD GALEN, BITCH!
09-09-2012 03:41 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(09-09-2012 03:41 PM)Galen Wrote:  The really fun part is that I totally predicted this very thread in the rant.

Half the shit you guys are arguing against in my rant is shit I didn't actually say. I think your lack of reading comprehension ability is evidence that I was right. Enjoy your failure Biggrin
It's funny because you think you're speaking for all of us. Mwahaha

09-09-2012 04:11 PM
 Thanks given by: Miller0700 , SoulRiser , Sociopath , Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra
IamNoone Offline
Pro Procrastinator

(09-09-2012 03:41 PM)Galen Wrote:  The really fun part is that I totally predicted this very thread in the rant.

Examples or I call bullshit.

09-10-2012 03:08 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Sociopath , Superkamiguru
Galen Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Quote:It's funny because you think you're speaking for all of us.
I think that, do I? Well, thanks for letting me know. All this time, I thought that I thought I was just speaking for me. It's good to be told what I'm thinking, I appreciate that. You should become a public school teacher, you're good at it Smile

Quote:Examples or I call bullshit.
I say you have no reading comprehension skills and your response is to demand that I take you by the hand and point out exactly what I'm referring to, because, apparently, you're unwilling or unable to find these things for yourself. I do believe you just made my point. Which is odd, since I was really just fucking with you guys and then you go and prove that my joke actually does have a ring of truth to it. Oh, for shame....

[ SnipeMe.com | SnipeMe.net | @SnipeMe | Facebook ]

I'M LORD GALEN, BITCH!
10-21-2012 07:45 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB4DhF9m4G4nHYaIYXqFF...hqZGd-SB4w]

10-21-2012 10:50 AM
AtheistLGBTQAnarchist Offline
Peace Loving Blood Lover

Given 47 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

If you say ignore him you know we're going to keep talking. Parents are a major part in the school community, so why not hate the parent as well? DISCUSS!

Congratulations humanity,because you refuse to let go of the old and evolve you actually make people believe in 2012. Not only that, but you're the only species on Earth that were able to make it possible, now we get to sit until we die because we couldn't get to Mars. We have failed as a society and don't deserve our gifts to survive for this long. Maybe this is why dinosaurs are extinct, we sure aren't any better than the dirt you say we're created from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DvwSOFto#! Noo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."
-Benjamin Franklin
10-21-2012 11:47 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

(10-21-2012 07:45 AM)Galen Wrote:  I say you have no reading comprehension skills and your response is to demand that I take you by the hand and point out exactly what I'm referring to, because, apparently, you're unwilling or unable to find these things for yourself. I do believe you just made my point. Which is odd, since I was really just fucking with you guys and then you go and prove that my joke actually does have a ring of truth to it. Oh, for shame....

Look, either point it out or admit it doesn't exist. Ever heard of "Burden of proof"? It's not up to IamNoone to deny your claim, it's up to YOU to prove your claim. So give him an example or else your claim is unsubstantiated. Your strategy is comparable to that of a religious person shifting burden of proof onto scientists to deny the existence of a deity, rather than they themselves to prove it.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 06:09 AM by Sociopath.)
10-22-2012 05:54 AM
 Thanks given by: GreenLamp , Ky , Superkamiguru
Superkamiguru Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 84 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(10-21-2012 07:45 AM)Galen Wrote:  
Quote:Examples or I call bullshit.
I say you have no reading comprehension skills and your response is to demand that I take you by the hand and point out exactly what I'm referring to, because, apparently, you're unwilling or unable to find these things for yourself. I do believe you just made my point. Which is odd, since I was really just fucking with you guys and then you go and prove that my joke actually does have a ring of truth to it. Oh, for shame....

I call bullshit,you fucking hypocrite.

Hidden stuff:
"CONSENSUAL incest is not wrong. (Abuse victims: being abused by a relative does not make it wrong for others to have consensual incest, any more than rape by a stranger makes all sex wrong. Sex and assault/molestation are two different things.) An aversion became common in humans that aided in population growth as one disease couldn't wipe out the human race. That's not a problem anymore.

Consensual incest is very common. You know people who have been involved, whether you know it or not.

There is no rational reason for keeping laws or taboos against consensual
incest that is consistently applied to other relationships. Personal disgust or religion is only a reason why one person would not want to personally engage in what I call consanguinamory, not why someone else shouldn't do it. An adult should be free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with ANY consenting adults. Youthful experimentation between close relatives close in age is not uncommon, and there are more people than you'd think out there who are in lifelong healthy, happy relationships with a close relative. It isn't for everyone, but we're not all going to want to have each others' love lives, now are we? If someone thinks YOUR love life is disgusting, should you be thrown in prison?

Some people try to justify their prejudice against consanguineous sex and
marriage by being part-time eugenicists and saying that such relationships inevitably lead to “mutant” or “deformed” babies. This argument can be refuted on several fronts. 1. Some consanguineous relationships involve only people of the same gender. 2. Not all mixed-gender relationships birth biological children. 3. Most births to consanguineous parents do not produce children with significant birth defects or other genetic problems; while births to other parents do sometimes have birth defects. 4. We don’t prevent other people from marrying or deny them their reproductive rights based on increased odds of passing along a genetic problem or inherited disease. It is true that in general, children born to consanguineous parents have an increased chance of these problems than those born to nonconsanguineous parents, but the odds are still minimal. Unless someone is willing to deny reproductive rights and medical privacy to others and force everyone to take genetic tests and bar carriers and the congenitally disabled and women over 35 from having children, then equal protection principles prevent this from being a justification to bar this freedom of association and freedom to marry.

Some say "Your sibling should not be your lover." That is not a reason. It begs the question. Many people have many relationships that have more than one aspect. Some women say their sister is their best friend. Why can’t their sister be a wife, too?

Some say “There is a power differential.” This applies least of all to siblings or cousins who are close in age, but even where the power differential exists, it is not a justification for denying this freedom to sex or to marry. There is a power differential in just about any relationship, sometimes an enormous power differential. To question if consent is truly possible in these cases is insulting and demeaning.

Some say “There are so many people outside of your family." There are plenty of people within one’s own race, too, but that is no reason to ban interracial marriage. So, this isn't a good reason either. Let consenting adults love each other the way they want!"-Keith Pullman

01-30-2017 05:06 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  18 Signs that U.S. Public Schools are Essentially Prisons Christian Hellhound 3 2,780 09-09-2013 04:15 AM
Last Post: silverfang77
  School are prisons and that's a good thing! Reptorian 15 4,261 09-07-2010 03:30 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Should schools give students incentives for good grades? The Wadekarl 25 10,116 11-19-2007 10:49 AM
Last Post: arthasmenethil