RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should I do?
1312 Offline
It gets better, believe me. :)

Given 44 thank(s) in 30 post(s)
What should I do?

I had an argument with someone that told me that I won't succeed without high degree, like university.

I plan to drop out at 18 or finish high school and move out of this country and start a business abroad, but he told me that how I'm going to do this without a degree? I doubt degree is actually needed when you become self employed.

But now a huge wave of doubt hit me, I'm thinking now that I won't succeed and I'll fail because I stopped studying and started getting some bad and not so bad grades in school. Now I need help, do I need to just start studying again and get 4-5(good and excellent) and then go to High School and finish it and later go to business university and then move out, just to be sure I'll succeed or what, I'm lost now, fuck this.Goingcrazy
I always thought I'll succeed(And don't need no university degree), because I've succeeded in whatever that is I've usually decided to do with right mindset.

So what do you all suggest me? Drop out at 18, keep going till HS or till University?
And will it change anything if I will graduate high school with passable grade like 3 and can I still get into university later if I need to?
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2012 08:20 AM by 1312.)
01-15-2012 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
RE: What should I do?

If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may need high/above average SAT and ACT scores in order to get accepted into most universities. I reccomend dropping out, getting a GED as it IS the same thing as a high school diploma practically. Don't let that ignorant kid bother you. Its your life and you know what's best.

Also, you can drop out of a high ranking university and write on your resume "I went to so and so university" and your potential employer will have an orgasm. Look on the main SS for more advice.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
01-15-2012 08:26 AM
1312 Offline

I can get pretty high marks and go to top university in my school, I had all 5's only like 3 4's on the report paper you get after going to school for a few weeks, so grade isn't a problem, my problem is that I cba to learn the shit they teach me and marks aren't important, because my life way(Plan) is going other way, than other people's. I plan to do everything without paper, but that dude told I won't make it, so I want to know, is it unlikely to succeed if I won't go to university? I read a lot about successful High school and University dropouts etc, so I think that's actually possible if you WANT it and ACT.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2012 08:53 AM by 1312.)
01-15-2012 08:53 AM
The Offline
The; Captain Obvious

Given 9 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

You have to be willing to get off your ass and do something once you drop out. Then you're life is in your hands

And like I said forget that dick telling you what you can and cant do. He is brainwashed by the media

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
01-15-2012 08:57 AM
1312 Offline

(01-15-2012 08:57 AM)The Wrote:  You have to be willing to get off your ass and do something once you drop out. Then you're life is in your hands

And like I said forget that dick telling you what you can and cant do. He is brainwashed by the media

I am actually willing to do something ONCE I'm out there in the world, as long as my ass stays behind PC(I hate it already, but I'm addicted and need help, not every time I admit it...), I cba to do anything, so first step: Getting away from PC.
I already got a plan once I'm kicked out/move out of parents house(Might require some honing).

And you're right, I'm the only one that can do something about my life, if I want something done, I'll get it done!
01-15-2012 09:03 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

A degree shouldn't be necessary, but in some jobs it can be helpful.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
01-15-2012 09:08 AM
1312 Offline

(01-15-2012 09:08 AM)aCol Wrote:  A degree shouldn't be necessary, but in some jobs it can be helpful.

I told that guy that experience > paper, but he kept saying me that without degree, nobody will even consider having you on job, no matter your experience. I think that is bullshit.
01-15-2012 09:13 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

You are right on that matter. I either can have a fake paper that says "Hurr durr, he took 12 IT lessons, took a test and got a 2 for learning on one thing" or you can say "Fuck, I've got this shit. Believe me, I have over 10 fucking years of experience, but no degree. I never needed that toilet paper, so OBSERVE!" and fucking do shit.

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
01-15-2012 09:50 AM
1312 Offline

^ True that! Smile

Just found this awesome quote on /r/Trees, what a coincidence.. My life is full of coincidences, when one might say that they mean nothing, but for me, a whole lot.
“I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.”
― Jimi Hendrix
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2012 10:14 AM by 1312.)
01-15-2012 10:12 AM
M3116 Offline
I and I

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

The concept is forcing a state funded education on all people until they are released into a capitalistic society where they compete for the next level of education, which can only work if there is the competition public school lacks, and possibly find a decent job. I don't even know. Really just make sure you have a job. I guess you could stay in class... if you really want that option, and all. The main thing is devote yourself in whatever you want to succeed at. If you want to be the manager of a restaurant or whatever you have to work a long time. Think of whatever you'd include if you WERE applying for college. For some jobs that's enough to show. For other jobs, you need a degree, and all. Just don't worry about it too much. You could get all the post graduate education and finally get to the top of your field and then you'd wonder where your lifetime went. I mean get a 'good' start if you CAN.
01-25-2012 11:22 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Degrees are only good for 2 things: impressing employers, and whatever you learned along the way while getting said degree.

So if you're going to start a business, and you can learn everything you need to know yourself, there's no point getting a degree. Unless you want to put it on a sign board outside your business to impress potential customers with or something.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-27-2012 09:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply