RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queen of Spades
Spades Offline
Ante Off

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Queen of Spades

There is nothing like freedom. I never even really realized I had it until this weekend. It was my 17th birthday and I had finally buckled down and got my drivers license. It's not that I hadn't wanted to drive, it was more the sheer distaste of doing anything state organized. Anyway, there I was with my awkwardly smiling portrait, a red hair-tie, and my grandma's 01' Honda Accord. Only one day before my week had been very well organized into doing pointless papers and learning how to use chop sticks, and I had new plans for the weekend. I named my new car Edna, after Choplin's novel. I know its kind of drab to put feminist connotations on a car, but I was sure as hell awakening.

I didn't say a word to my parents, didn't pack anything, and drove! I drove for hours, straight south without looking at a map or road signs. In my world it was winter time and I was a goose. My migration was perfect, or so I thought. Eleven hours into my journey I had just landed in my third state; which was two more than I had ever seen in my life. Bowling Green Kentucky was the name of the city according to the signs, and it was too dark, and I was too fatigued with the effort of driving. My phone decided to start singing "let it be" and I told my parents I was sleeping over a friends house; they seemed excited at the prospect of my having a friend and hurried me off the phone. I fell asleep in the parking lot of a Walmart.

More to come.

Do not let a moment go by that doesn't remind you that your heart beats 900 times a day and that there are enough gallons of blood to make you an ocean.
12-13-2010 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Re: Queen of Spades

Hmm, maybe maybe I should learn to drive too, it might be nice to just, go away for a while, hope things go well for you.
Also I lol'd at the idea of them being super excited about thinking you had a friend, exactly what mine would do.

Oh, and it's good to you've not been scared away from the site.

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
12-13-2010 10:10 AM
Spades Offline
Ante Off

You should definitely learn to drive! It just gives you that unassailable feeling of independence!!!! And don't worry, a few trolls won't scare me away. I just get caught up in my life sometimes.

Anyway, so that trip ended quite uneventfully, I spent the better part of the next day just driving back home having learned nothing new other than the fact that long drives make your legs tired.

But the trip inspired me, and I came up with a plan. I opened up word and made myself a permission slip....Its a two week trip to new york city with my school, the cost is 1000 dollars. I'm going to see if my parents will buy it tonight. If it works, I may just be seeing whatever members of SS are in NYC this holiday!!!

Do not let a moment go by that doesn't remind you that your heart beats 900 times a day and that there are enough gallons of blood to make you an ocean.
12-14-2010 09:48 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

I dunno, the idea of driving scares the crap out of me to be perfectly honest.

12-14-2010 10:48 AM
Spades Offline
Ante Off

What about it scares you?

12-14-2010 10:49 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Worried about crashing, messing up and looking like a huge idiot on the road, hurting someone, or messing up a really expensive machine.

12-14-2010 10:52 AM
Spades Offline
Ante Off

I guess those are legitimate concerns, I don't know. I haven't been driving more than a week and I really love everything about it, I'd rather burn in a car crash then spend my life watching those car's wizz by.

12-14-2010 10:53 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Hmm, you may have a point, being a shut-in gets boring sometimes.

12-14-2010 10:57 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Trust me driving is awesome specially if its your own car.
Side not are you a feminist or a femnazi?
12-15-2010 03:12 AM
Spades Offline
Ante Off

Honestly I think the idea of labeling your views is a bit shortsighted. I mean I don't think women are lesser beings to men, but its difficult to say either sex is better. I think men are naturally more logical, and that natural logic played a key role in the pre-educated world. But now as women are on equal footing, I think we are closing the gap slowly.

Also UPDATE!!!!! My parents believed my fake school trip. They have given me 1200 in cash, and I'm going to have the greatest holiday vacation ever.

12-16-2010 06:57 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Fucking lol. Good job, and good luck. I look forward to being able to do this someday soon.

I have my permit... And it has already expired once. Perhaps I should go and take the test soon, before it expires again and all.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
12-16-2010 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Spades Wrote:My parents believed my fake school trip. They have given me 1200 in cash, and I'm going to have the greatest holiday vacation ever.
Damn... That's all that I can say, really. That and have a fucking righteous vacation. You wouldn't happen to be in or near Arizona, would you?

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
12-16-2010 11:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spades Offline
Ante Off

Thanks guys, I am soooo excited for the week to end!!!!!!!!!!! Also Leon, I'm sorry but I live in a small town outside of Chicago, and I'm planning on heading east this trip. I have been actually thinking of making a fake website with a fake summer camp that I could go work at, it would vastly improve my summer!!!

Also I have spent the last day mapping out my course so that I wouldn't need a map should I ever be in a situation where I am lost. I'm going to go on interstate 90 east to cleveland, then the next day to buffalo...then finally the long journey to boston. I'll spend a day or two at boston then start going back by going south on route 84 to new york and from there I will plan the rest of my return home. It will be amazing, I've been looking up motels and places to visit for hours, and I'm going to keep a journal of the whole experience, which I may post some of, up here online!!!

12-17-2010 10:24 AM