RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
British Columbia Man Faces Six Months in Jail for Growing Food
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
British Columbia Man Faces Six Months in Jail for Growing Food

Just in case anybody hints that this wouldn't happen in America there is a similar story of an elderly woman who is facing jail time in Michigan for the same thing.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/07/...garden.php

Well so much for being independent from society..
I guess I'll starve since I can't afford vegetables..

Quote:Last week Colleen brought us the story of a woman in Michigan who is facing jail time for planting a garden. Sadly, this type of heavy-handed by-the-letter enforcement of bylaws exists at the same time as people embrace urban agriculture as a viable source of high quality nutrition. A man in Lanztville, British Columbia is facing a similar battle with the local government after converting his 2.5 acre "residential" lot from a gravel pit into a thriving organic farm. His refusal to "cease all agricultural activity" could land him six months in jail.

Acting on a single complaint from a disgruntled neighbor the regional district sent a letter to Dirk Becker giving him 14 days to "remove the piles of soil and manure from the property." The quoted bylaw states that property owners will ensure their property doesn't become or remain "unsightly". Specifically this refers to "the accumulation of filth, discarded materials or rubbish, which includes unused or stripped automobiles, trucks, trailers, boats, vessels, machinery, mechanical or metal parts." Admittedly, it can be argued that, to some a manure pile could be considered "filth". But, considering how Becker regenerated his 2.5 acres (see photo above) this characterization is an insult.

The original letter asking Becker to stop agricultural activities arrived in September, 2010. Since then, there has been a huge public outcry in support of his activities, including a decent showing of 75 people at a support rally last night. Despite this, the municipality has recently hired a law firm to pursue the matter. Becker received a couriered letter in early June, once again asking him to stop growing food or they will proceed with legal action against him. What this could amount to, according to Becker, is a judge ruling that he is "in contempt" of the district bylaw and he could be sentenced to six months in jail.

I tell ya they are actually sending people to anally pounders prison..
For growing food on their own property..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
10-10-2011 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)
RE: British Columbia Man Faces Six Months in Jail for Growing Food

In-fucking-sane. I know I am an anarchist but I think that even statists can agree with me when I say the government needs to be reminded that it is supposed to fear the people... not abuse them.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-10-2011 04:28 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

What... the... fuck? Wtf

I don't even know what to say. That's just completely asinine.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-10-2011 05:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-10-2011 04:28 PM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  In-fucking-sane. I know I am an anarchist but I think that even statists can agree with me when I say the government needs to be reminded that it is supposed to fear the people... not abuse them.

Usually I try to look at all points of view and conflicts but this right here is just dumb as hell and anybody who sides with the government on this one is a fucking sheep(I hate using this term but its what fits). I remember reading an article on the economic collapse that pointed out these insane laws and joked that in the future I guess that the only farms will be from corporations but I guess that's the point.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archive...permission

So much for hard work and rising yourself up.

image hosting jpg
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 06:26 PM by HeartofShadows.)
10-10-2011 06:24 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Dumb and insane. People are getting busted for stupid stuff nowadays.

Previously known as Derchin.
10-10-2011 10:38 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/08...93516.html

Old news is old. Charges were dropped against that woman. It should also be noted that this woman lives in a very standardized suburban neighborhood. One where every house pretty much looks just like the last. It's likely she lives in a home owners association, which are neighborhood organizations that have legal authority to tell you what you can and can't do to your property.

Just something to keep in mind. Had she bought house more rural environment no one would've cared, and she likely would've been able to purchase more land to cultivate.
10-11-2011 01:25 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Good to know that it worked out for the woman in the US.

The guy in BC has a better chance than she did, since Canadians have more common sense than Americans do.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-11-2011 03:08 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-11-2011 01:25 AM)Ayliana Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/08...93516.html

Old news is old. Charges were dropped against that woman. It should also be noted that this woman lives in a very standardized suburban neighborhood. One where every house pretty much looks just like the last. It's likely she lives in a home owners association, which are neighborhood organizations that have legal authority to tell you what you can and can't do to your property.

Just something to keep in mind. Had she bought house more rural environment no one would've cared, and she likely would've been able to purchase more land to cultivate.

Thank goodness and fuck the home owners association.
I fucking hate those bastards.

image hosting jpg
10-11-2011 03:36 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
10-12-2011 04:08 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

(10-12-2011 04:08 PM)gore goroth Wrote:  

Nice video although the guy dressing like a terrorist kind of makes it a bit humorist(jk). But still I knew about the shit they put in our food.
Had a guy I knew and his family move back to Asia 2 years ago and they didn't change their eating habits at all but they all lost 50 to 60 pounds because they weren't eating that shit we eat.

image hosting jpg
10-13-2011 12:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  British ..V.. 8 4,130 07-12-2013 05:34 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Sarkozy Introduces Law To Jail Those Visiting ‘Extremist’ Web Sites HeartofShadows 5 3,098 03-27-2012 05:15 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Black kid murdered by racist cop, he faces no charges fish20 10 9,011 03-25-2012 01:41 AM
Last Post: bulgarianlion
  Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Vi HeartofShadows 11 3,883 07-06-2011 11:34 PM
Last Post: thewake
  USA can jail you for how long they want on mental health. HeartofShadows 9 2,844 07-21-2010 12:28 PM
Last Post: John Tuttle
  EU secretly pushing to put kids in jail for sharing music: HeartofShadows 5 1,819 07-03-2010 02:29 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  14 year old girl faces 17 years for photographing herself Gaiyara 21 8,258 04-07-2009 01:39 AM
Last Post: Leon Kinotolian