RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
emotion control
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
emotion control

a few weeks ago i was reading some pages on empathy, and since a few days ago i've been noticing a lot of things i never paid attention to before. like how restaurants, cellphone shops, and many, many ads have photos of people smiling for no apparent reason. why is that? they're not showing off the products that way. those photos are there to subconsciously make the viewer feel the same emotion that it looks like the person in the photo is feeling. so when you look at the ad, or the large posters in the restaraunt, it "makes" you "feel" happy - even if you weren't happy before.

kinda scary, when you think about it.

it reminds me, when i was a lot younger and saw ads where people were smiling, it made me smile too. until one day i decided that was stupid, and refused to let myself smile when they did. eventually i became immune, and now i hate ads with stupid grinning models Razz (well, i hate all ads anyway, but i hate those ones more)

anyone found more examples of this kind of thing in action?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-30-2006 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

.....-looks to his right at his TV and watches a few ads-

Wow. You never cease to scare and/or creep me out with truth,Soul. Uhoh
08-30-2006 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

What about the anti-drug commercials where you see the classic "unhappy drug using teen"?
Here's a hint, if you smoke pot, you're not going to be unhappy, ok?
So point; empathy works both ways.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
08-30-2006 10:12 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

freak-of-nature13 Wrote:What about the anti-drug commercials where you see the classic "unhappy drug using teen"?
Here's a hint, if you smoke pot, you're not going to be unhappy, ok?
So point; empathy works both ways.

good point. i had suspected there would be reasons to make people unhappy about something, i just couldn't think of any examples... so thanks for that Smile

we actually don't have anti-drug commercials here. or at least, i've never seen one. the only "unhappy" people i can think of in ads are people with 'flu, and they never even look all that miserable anyway Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-31-2006 12:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Really? You mean in South Africa, the government doesn't always have a bullshit piece of proaganda that tries to depict all youth as sex-addicted, drug-using, criminals? Wow....

08-31-2006 12:56 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

so they don't have those stupid ads like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRO_a6pQB8 flooding your TV?

we had one once after 9/11 that had all these kids saying stuff like "i helped hijack airliners" "hey, it's my body" "I helped slaughter civilians in afghanistan" "it's just innocent fun" and "I helped blow up american buildings" then it said "where do terrorists get their money? if you buy drugs it might be from you." Uhoh

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
08-31-2006 01:35 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

no i think africa pours its money into important stuff like a cure for like aids and stuff
btw rebelnerd iv never seen that commercial
im pretty sure people dont go to that lenth to hide there drugs (not that you could without killing ur self) did you notice he left his credit card in the stall

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
08-31-2006 02:33 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

yeah, but he wasn't hiding drugs in his head, he was "destroying himself."

and i don't think africa pours it's money into aids cures. in fact, i think it's the opposite. some tribes still believe that the only way to cure aids is to have sex with somebody who doesn't have it so it will leave them. the governments of most third world african countries like sudan and the congo don't give shit about their people, in fact they've comitted mass genocide against them for years.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
08-31-2006 02:55 AM
Mom Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

The ads with people smiling and happy are used for selling the item or service. "You too will be this happy if you buy such and such." Yes, it's controlling. The sad thing is that it works for a lot of companies/businesses.
08-31-2006 04:06 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

what about anti depression pill comercials...

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
08-31-2006 10:33 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

this is....happening. Right. Now? Jawdrop
http://www.intl.hiroshima-cu.ac.jp/~hyo ... 411101.pdf
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107996.html
(Read history)

Why does the US only fuck with other countries that are profit to us? (Like the Rwanda genocide)
Yes/No Should US interfere (just a little, to stop the arab fuckers that want the "ethnic cleansing")
Not like te situation in Iraq.

08-31-2006 02:09 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

freak-of-nature13 Wrote:Really? You mean in South Africa, the government doesn't always have a bullshit piece of proaganda that tries to depict all youth as sex-addicted, drug-using, criminals? Wow....

not at all. but what they DO advertise quite a lot is South Africa itself. like they play some really emotional song, and show a bunch of people working together, or getting along extremely well, or doing some selfless act of whatever, and at the end it displays something like "Proudly South African". as if it happens that often in real life Rolleyes

the best/worst ad is the one for Telkom (the phone line company). they show happy faces and all that, and then advertise themselves as the cheapest landline provider in the country. ... but they're still the ONLY landline provider in the country. compared to most other countries in the world, they're ludicrously expensive, just because they have the monopoly. Grindteeth

so yeah, just because it's all "positive" doesn't mean it isn't full of bullshit as well Razz

Hidden stuff:
08-31-2006 07:48 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Rebelnerd Wrote:we had one once after 9/11 that had all these kids saying stuff like "i helped hijack airliners" "hey, it's my body" "I helped slaughter civilians in afghanistan" "it's just innocent fun" and "I helped blow up american buildings" then it said "where do terrorists get their money? if you buy drugs it might be from you."

... that's disturbing.

Rebelnerd Wrote:and i don't think africa pours it's money into aids cures. in fact, i think it's the opposite. some tribes still believe that the only way to cure aids is to have sex with somebody who doesn't have it so it will leave them. the governments of most third world african countries like sudan and the congo don't give shit about their people, in fact they've comitted mass genocide against them for years.

well, judging by the amount of corruption that we DO hear about (everyone guesses there's a lot more that doesn't get uncovered), i suspect much of our taxes goes toward financing new cars and mansions for the politicians and all their little friends.

and yeah, apparently lots of people with AIDS believe that they'll be cured if they have sex with a virgin. so they go rape babies. Grindteeth

BigWolf Wrote:Also, next time you're listening to your radio and you hear a commercial, listen for some sort of background sound. A cell phone ringer, a siren, something that will grab your attention. Radio commericalists know that people practically ignore those commercials, so as underhanded as they are, they add these little sounds to grab your attention so you'll listen a little more, then while you listen for sirens ot your cell phone, your mind takes in their advertising subconciously.

i don't listen to radio anymore, but i remember those from when i used to. and it's not like you can mute the ads like you can with TV, if you can't hear it, you don't know when the ads are over :(

that genocide, i had no idea that was happening, and i live closer to Sudan than you guys do... Uhoh

i think SOMEONE should intervene, not necessarily the US though, because of how they tend to handle things like that Razz

Hidden stuff:
08-31-2006 08:01 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Wowsers..That commercial..-shiver-

That 9/11 commercial: God, that's just sick. Sick, wrong and digusting. I mean, seriously, using 9/11, the inside job of the century, to scare kids out of drugs? They should be giving out facts..
08-31-2006 10:08 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

yeah, the first time i saw it i was like WTF? everybody makes fun of it now, replacing drugs with gasoline and stuff like that.

there was this other one, it was like a mastercard commercial saying "ak-47 $100, bomb $40, ski mask $5, where do terrorists get their money..."

09-01-2006 12:34 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Quote: they have nothing to gain from helping the people of Sudan,
What about the pleasure of helping out fellow human beings? Oh wait... the US government doesn't care about human being unless they make profit! Sorry forgot about that Rolleyes ....
And Soulriser's right, besides kind of ironic that The US would try to install a democratic government in a foreign country, when the US isn't even a democracy. ...More like a Theocratic Dictatorship. Grindteeth

09-02-2006 12:51 AM
Cilaos Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

yea people seem to forget the government works for us
we dont work for them
but when people forgot that they realised that they could convert the system from democracy to monarchy
used to the people decided the law with votes now a bunch of old closed minded fucks decide the law and they dont give the people a say
Mad Ranting Grindteeth Omg Jawdrop :waah: Upset Cry Poop Uhoh :( No Wtf

I AM A THIEF IN THE NIGHT I WILL SAVE AS MANY AS I CAN

I KEEP THEM IN MY BASEMENT

I TELL THEM I AM THEIR MOMMY NOW
09-02-2006 01:00 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

What we should be fearing is.....THE HOLY JIHAD BRIGADE!!1

Laugh What a stupid name for terrorists..
09-02-2006 01:39 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

like "Islamic fascists" trying to make an "Islamic Empire" of the world. bush loves terms like that.

09-02-2006 02:18 AM
SurvivalWarrior Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: emotion control

theese conversations seem too intelligent for me.
02-09-2009 10:10 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Re:

Rebelnerd Wrote:like "Islamic fascists" trying to make an "Islamic Empire" of the world. bush loves terms like that.

But that is basically what Osama Bin-Laden and the Base are trying to do, they want to set up a "Universal Caliphate" with one single "Amir al-Mu'minin" for all Islam; thus uniting the Sunnis and Shia. If the whole Islamic world united into a single Caliphate we'd be in big trouble.

The Base isn't losing much ground right now either.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
02-11-2009 08:53 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

yea most religions actully want it to be only their religion. in the islamic religion slaves are higher up then non-believers.

and america is a repersentitive republic

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
02-11-2009 09:12 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Muslims can't enslave other Muslims. It's against their religion. But they do have a history of treating their slaves much better than the Europeans did. They still had to work, but they were considered humans and not farm animals.

02-11-2009 09:16 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

look it up

it's like muslims, converts, slaves, non-believers

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

02-11-2009 09:30 AM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

On this subject, I once saw an ad for fireplaces that was something like this: A woman in a bikini with 36DD chest or something (shooped. I think.) leaning on a fireplace; the ad was selling the fireplace. I lol'd so hard.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
02-11-2009 09:43 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

sexual appeal very strong indeed

-weeds-

02-11-2009 09:46 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE:

(08-31-2006 01:35 AM)Rebelnerd Wrote:  so they don't have those stupid ads like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRO_a6pQB8 flooding your TV?

we had one once after 9/11 that had all these kids saying stuff like "i helped hijack airliners" "hey, it's my body" "I helped slaughter civilians in afghanistan" "it's just innocent fun" and "I helped blow up american buildings" then it said "where do terrorists get their money? if you buy drugs it might be from you." Uhoh

Wow two bullshit propaganda lies in one!
11-15-2011 08:23 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
RE: emotion control

DYSTOPIA

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
11-15-2011 08:43 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Well of course. The US only "helps" other countries if they can get something out of it themselves. They supported Mubarak ("an ally of ours, he is!") right up until the point when it was clear he was going to be overthrown. Then they were like "Mubarak? What an evil tyrant! No no no, the US never supported him, what are you talking about? We stand for freedom and democracy!"

It's like fucking Oceania over here...

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2011 10:44 AM by .Manicrose..)
11-15-2011 10:43 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

(11-15-2011 10:43 AM).Manicrose. Wrote:  Well of course. The US only "helps" other countries if they can get something out of it themselves.

Yep. If there's anyone here who can see past the glare of WWII, there's a little something called WWI, or The Great War as it was called before Hitler's rise to power. Europe started on another of its squabbles, something it has been fond of doing throughout history, except this time better weapons made defense reign supreme. Our president, Winston Churchill (a scholarly fellow, not a politician) worked tirelessly to sign treaties to keep everyone from killing each other, culminating in the Treaty of Versailles, which was supposed to keep Europe from caving in on itself. Unfortunately, the Allied Powers had a bit of a thing against Germany, and wanted revenge, so they didn't invite Germany to the treaty signing, and it ended up being pretty harsh on the Germans. One of the biggest, most important parts of the treaty was the founding of the League of Nations, which was supposed to be a big friendship pact saying, "We all agree not to hurt each other and to protect our members if one of us gets attacked." Even though our president was the driving force behind the treaty, Congress refused to pass it, since they would effectively be giving up the right to declare war. Also, since the U.S. had lent lots of money to the other Allies, we wanted our money back, and joining the League of Nations would have nullified those debts.
So basically, instead of joining the club our president founded, and giving up on monetary gain to help Europe get back on its feet, we went back into isolationism and allowed the other European countries to plunder Germany, causing German unrest, and of course, the rise of the Third Reich. All in the name of war debts and power.

And that, my friends, is what you learn if you can manage to stay awake in U.S. History.

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
11-15-2011 02:55 PM