RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch up on what you missed...even if you have cancer
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Catch up on what you missed...even if you have cancer

My math teacher gave me this bullshit today. He said "It's your responsibility to catch up on what you missed". He thinks when I said I was sick that I meant a light cough and runny nose. Second, How the fuck can I catch up on two days work the day I come back? I'm sure there are ways but I don't really give a shit. Then, turns out we had a unit test that same day and he thinks he's doing ME a favor by extending the date "Well, normally I wouldn't, but just this ONCE" Fuck what you would normally do, I was fucking sick, how could I do any work?
09-28-2007 02:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roberterher Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

catch up with what you missed... how did they come up with that bullshit. It should be the students' own choice if he wants to catch up or not, damn they always try to tell you what to do at home too, like school isn't crappy enough.

I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
09-28-2007 04:24 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Um...newsflash?

It is your responsibility. As you quickly figure out in college, it is nobody's responsibility but your own.

The only thing I don't get is how he'd be doing you a favor by letting you make it up. Say someone skips class that day, yeah you should let them make that test up (although in most of my college classes they require you to do it before the day of the actual test). Especially if it's a verified absence.

Let's do the time warp again!
09-28-2007 08:50 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

It's not so much the act of making a test up, it's the fact that it's high school and they treat it like their reasons for you doing a test are more important than anything you might do, including simply not going.

In college, it's a lot better, so they're justified.
09-28-2007 09:02 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

It does get pretty annoying, but I never do the shit I missed anyways, so I don't really care about catching up.
09-28-2007 09:45 AM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Happy Camper Wrote:Um...newsflash?

It is your responsibility. As you quickly figure out in college, it is nobody's responsibility but your own.

The only thing I don't get is how he'd be doing you a favor by letting you make it up. Say someone skips class that day, yeah you should let them make that test up (although in most of my college classes they require you to do it before the day of the actual test). Especially if it's a verified absence.

Umm...newsflash, not everyone is in college or plans to go to college
09-28-2007 10:51 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

payback123 Wrote:

You don't have to go to high school either.
09-28-2007 12:16 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

fist_of_doom Wrote:
payback123 Wrote:

I think that actually depends on the state and includes parent consent forms.

Either way most of my high school experience has been really really...ridiculously prep and I'm finding college to be easier in some ways. High school is the new college.

Let's do the time warp again!
09-28-2007 12:50 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Happy Camper Wrote:
fist_of_doom Wrote:
payback123 Wrote:

I think that actually depends on the state and includes parent consent forms.

Either way most of my high school experience has been really really...ridiculously prep and I'm finding college to be easier in some ways. High school is the new college.
You don't have to live in that state.

I always just went to school when I was sick in order to avoid running into this problem.
09-28-2007 01:10 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

And to spread it to others.. Mwahaha

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
09-28-2007 01:11 PM
tock172 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Fuck them. Put that fucker in his place verbally when you can. Let him have it.

"One cannot make a difference if one cannot express opinions properly" -Eric Harris
09-28-2007 02:17 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

It's easy to recover from missing whatever was learned during a class because you can read whatever was covered, talk to people, ask the teacher. You can also just ignore it until later; few classes are so perfectly designed that ignoring one class's material would cause major problems.

Maybe this is just an inherent problem with checking daily homework assignments. If it matters whether you get the work done now or next week, it matters because something is happening in class. If you need to understand something for class, the teacher should tell you so. If that class has already passed, whether you get the work done now or a week from now doesn't matter much, but the teacher can't just extend the due date for you that long because that would be unfair. This would also be less of a problem if there weren't absurd amounts of homework.

Missing class can also be a problem when you have to make up some assignment or get the details of whatever was covered and the teacher tells tries to be fair by saying that you need to ask someone else in the class rather than him. This procedure is understandable if the teacher is very busy at the time, but if he isn't, he should help you. I've never had many teachers like this; these are also the teachers who have special procedures for everything and are very strict.

I only brought up the idea that you don't have to go to high school because payback123 said that you don't have to go to college. High school isn't especially useful; don't expect it to prepare you for much. If you really care, go somewhere else or just stop doing all of the bullshit necessary to get As. If you can't do either because your parents won't let you, you should be angry at your parents more than your school.
09-29-2007 11:51 PM
Chaotic_Punk Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Oh yeah I know how you feel, I've been off school for six weeks due to a serious operation and I'm still expect to catch up on everything. I have prelims in less than five weeks, I have no time to sleep because I've to study it. I have so much work to do and they expect me to catch up just like that.

School is practice for the future, practice makes perfect. Nobody’s perfect so why practice?
10-10-2007 02:00 AM
modest mouse Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

payback123 Wrote:

It's still your responsibility.
I mean, while you're in school, you might as well try to do good so you won't have a shitty future.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees through narrow chinks of his cavern."
10-10-2007 02:09 AM
payback123 Offline
Revolutionary

Well technically you should enjoy school while it lasts as well so you don't end up miserable
10-10-2007 10:52 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

payback123 Wrote:

That's what I always say. I totally agree. School is full of shit.

Maybe some people don't give a shit about having a good "future". Hell I can make my own good future. I don't want a stupid career to define my life.
10-10-2007 12:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Girl supporting friend with cancer - kicked out Dirtbikemike 6 3,621 03-29-2014 08:51 AM
Last Post: LadyKira
  12 y/o dies from cancer. Supporters disrespected by administration Dirtbikemike 10 8,149 11-24-2013 06:08 AM
Last Post: 34f3o4wfekwlefjweihj0if'uwkp3rdij
  Missed school and now I'm gonna fail! SilverIceSprings 11 3,933 11-05-2009 10:25 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Oh damn it. I missed somthing important. aaaaaaasd 17 4,772 05-29-2008 11:59 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  i missed 24 days of skool 6moredetentions 21 4,581 02-25-2008 08:39 AM
Last Post: Darthmat
  YAY I MISSED THE SCHOOL BUS KitsuneSefam 11 2,429 02-20-2008 02:22 AM
Last Post: Zombie