RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Should schools give students incentives for good grades?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should schools give students incentives for good grades?
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Should schools give students incentives for good grades?

I got the following from this link:

http://www.edutopia.org/should-schools-o...incentives

There is also a forum of people discussing their opinions on this matter, but anyways...

Quote:A school district in central Ohio is trying a new kind of incentive pay -- for students. In return for doing well on annual exams, each student can earn up to $100. And in schools near Miami, students can win pizza parties, tickets to the prom, and even iPods in exchange for passing scores on their new state science exam. Proponents of these kinds of incentives maintain that this is one way among many to encourage academic achievement, particularly when many schools' livelihoods depend on test scores. Others argue that these are bribes, and don't encourage meaningful learning. What do you think?

So what do you think? To make it short, in my opinion, yes. I'll say why later because I have to get off my computer in a few minutes.
11-16-2007 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I think its wrong to judge based upon tests so my answer is an automatic no, either way.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-16-2007 01:13 PM
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Oh no, there brainwashing techniques are getting stronger! D:

I say yes anyway. Schools dont give a sh*t about "meaningful" learning anyway. : P
11-16-2007 01:13 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

yeah, why not. working your ass off for a grade and getting more work and no benifet as a "reward" is fucking stupid. i'd prefer to get rid of grading altogether, but rewards might make things more palatable in the short term.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-16-2007 01:21 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

They give us stupid "Renaissance Cards" that let us get free stuff at random restaurants in town.
Crazy.
I said no just because the entire grading system is messed up, people are all smart in different ways.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
11-16-2007 01:49 PM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

No, that's retarded. We should all be payed just for GOING to school.
11-16-2007 01:53 PM
Shuri Offline
Renegade

Given 3 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

chemistry_hater Wrote:No, that's retarded. We should all be payed just for GOING to school.
I am in absolute agreement with you on that point.
BTW, ChemCom is the only subject I'm making below an A in. I hate it, too. Not because of my grade, my grade is a result of my hating it. I hate all school...anyway...random tangents are fun...

I have to say 'yes' in regards to the question. If school is my 'job', I want money, or some sort of immediate pay, for it. I don't like school, I don't want to go there...the least the school could do is give me a reason to care about it. I think that, when you're already forcing innocent kids into an institution resembling prison against their will, bribery is hardly of concern. And like many have already stated: schools don't care about meaningful learning, they just want the kids to make good grades, and isn't that all the colleges really want too? As long as kids make good grades, they'll get into college (theoretically, although I know for a fact this is a lie, but my point stands to reason this), and after graduating college they'll be successful people. It's all a fabricated, made-up fairy tale in order to spur kids into spending millions of dollars on an 'education' they'll never get, but at least the schools AND kids would be happy for once. Jeez, if we got one-hundred dollars for every test we passed, we might not HAVE to go to college. We could just make good grades in high-school, blow off college, and go open our own business with our own starting funds and maybe a few loans from other people that would be easy to pay off. In fact, this form of learning could literally wipe out colleges, and then high schools wouldn't have to conform to meet college standards, thereby freeing them of the one thing that keeps them from teaching us anything. Colleges. Specifically, Universites. They tell the high schools everything they are to teach, everything they want kids to "know" about the world once they enter through the doors of their University. High schools could actually be useful if this "pay for school" thing works. >D

[Image: saladhearts.jpg]
Yum.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com
11-16-2007 03:54 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

It's all just a distraction. It may make school more bearable for some, but it will lead to things like...

Kid: "I hate school!"
Parent: "It's your own fault you hate it, if you tried harder you could be making money!"
Basically, it'd give parents and teachers more of a sensible comeback that's harder to counter. I mean, how many people can argue with being paid to do something? It will make it harder for anyone to comprehend the idea of hating school.

If they're going to pay kids to do well in school, they should at least make it worthwhile. "Up to" $100 for annual exams isn't worth the sweat and tears required, IMO. Note the use of the words "up to $100". Razz I wouldn't bother. My dad paid me more than that to get a B average. Would have been twice that if I got an A average, but I decided the extra R1000 wasn't worth the extra effort required, and getting the B would leave me with enough for my own PC anyway. I'd like to know what kind of marks are required for this $100.

It's a great idea to benefit the schools that get in trouble for students getting bad grades, but it isn't going to solve anything in the long run. It certainly isn't going to make school any more useful, except to really poor kids who will probably end up being immensely pressured by their parents to get good enough grades for the money, which will probably get used to cover basic expenses.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-16-2007 09:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:It's all just a distraction. It may make school more bearable for some, but it will lead to things like...

Kid: "I hate school!"
Parent: "It's your own fault you hate it, if you tried harder you could be making money!"
Basically, it'd give parents and teachers more of a sensible comeback that's harder to counter. I mean, how many people can argue with being paid to do something? It will make it harder for anyone to comprehend the idea of hating school.
Laugh

You know that something like that can't be a real reason why such a thing shouldn't be allowed. 'So kids hate schools less'. Laugh

But the rset of your post i really agree with.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-16-2007 09:59 PM
Pyrokinetic_Punker Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I voted yes. I always bitch about how we should get payed for all the work we do at school and I never study from lack of motivation, I'd study for an iPod or 100 bucks though.
11-17-2007 10:00 PM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Pyrokinetic_Punker Wrote:I voted yes. I always bitch about how we should get payed for all the work we do at school and I never study from lack of motivation, I'd study for an iPod or 100 bucks though.

That's exactly how I am. Letters just aren't good enough for me anymore. However, money would definetly be enough to motivate me. Hell, a simple fucking field trip would be enough for me. At the school I'm at now, I haven't been invited to ONE FUCKING FIELD TRIP in the 1 year and 3 months I've been here, and ever since I started coming to this school, I haven't made any higher than a 2.1 GPA. I go to school almost everyday and I never receive as much as a fucking certificate from the school praising my attendance or my good citizenship (by citizenship, I mean I don't cause fights, yell at teachers, etc. ). So it's no fucking wonder why I'm not motivated to do work and why my grades suck.
11-17-2007 10:59 PM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I think students should be paid if they're going to be forced to attend school.

@silverfang1977
11-18-2007 07:17 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

ok: it is totally wrong becasue it will make kids think that if they do well on a test then they deserve stuff, and quite frankly tests arent usualy even a good reflection on how smart you are or how well ur doing in class, but since we have to take them anyway, and kids will think that their tests are all powerful anyway...YAY MONEY! i mean, why not? if the school want to give us stuff, then great, alothough it might cause more emotional damage to students who dont get good grades...oh well, im sure the schools love making kids feel crappy Rolleyes

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
11-19-2007 01:15 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Shuri Wrote:
chemistry_hater Wrote:No, that's retarded. We should all be payed just for GOING to school.
I am in absolute agreement with you on that point.
BTW, ChemCom is the only subject I'm making below an A in. I hate it, too. Not because of my grade, my grade is a result of my hating it. I hate all school...anyway...random tangents are fun...

I have to say 'yes' in regards to the question. If school is my 'job', I want money, or some sort of immediate pay, for it. I don't like school, I don't want to go there...the least the school could do is give me a reason to care about it. I think that, when you're already forcing innocent kids into an institution resembling prison against their will, bribery is hardly of concern. And like many have already stated: schools don't care about meaningful learning, they just want the kids to make good grades, and isn't that all the colleges really want too? As long as kids make good grades, they'll get into college (theoretically, although I know for a fact this is a lie, but my point stands to reason this), and after graduating college they'll be successful people. It's all a fabricated, made-up fairy tale in order to spur kids into spending millions of dollars on an 'education' they'll never get, but at least the schools AND kids would be happy for once. Jeez, if we got one-hundred dollars for every test we passed, we might not HAVE to go to college. We could just make good grades in high-school, blow off college, and go open our own business with our own starting funds and maybe a few loans from other people that would be easy to pay off. In fact, this form of learning could literally wipe out colleges, and then high schools wouldn't have to conform to meet college standards, thereby freeing them of the one thing that keeps them from teaching us anything. Colleges. Specifically, Universites. They tell the high schools everything they are to teach, everything they want kids to "know" about the world once they enter through the doors of their University. High schools could actually be useful if this "pay for school" thing works. >D

VERY nice post. I agree completely with you. After all, student IS an occupation. Seriously, it should be OUR choice if WE want to get an "education" or not. But NOOOO, if we don't, our "life is over", we won't "have a good future", we'll probably be "flipping burgers our whole life". Why? For not knowing what H2O is? FUCK CHEMISTRY! I have a stupid nomenclature polyatomics quiz tomorrow (translation: A PILE OF SHIT THAT WILL NEVER HELP ME IN LIFE) and our stupid teacher said it was 25 points. If we get 19 or less, we fail it. If we get 20 and up, we pass. BULLFUCK! (lol that's a new word I just made up). Seriously, who kind of crap is this? Damn, I'm gonna actually have to study if I want to pass (or cheat, but I sit in the first fucking row). I have As and Bs on all my subjects BUT Chemistry. I have a C. Imagine what my grade would be if I was still taking Advanced Placement Chemistry. I'm glad I dropped out of that damn class full of people who do nothing BUT study.

Anyway, yeah, I got a little carried away but I had to to vent a little to feel better. But that didn't work. I still have to study. I WANT MY MONEY! School is like a job....but even harder. I mean, teachers get paid for boring the fuck out of students and for being evil Nazis. Why shouldn't WE get paid? We take tests after listening to 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000993274​56 hours of LECTURES. We're wasting time. I have better things to do.

Also, I'm sure teachers have come to this forum and read some of the posts we type. They have probably thought "Geez, these kids make it seem like school is actually bad. They need to just deal with it. It's for their own good" or something like that. But they just don't understand. And I don't understand why they don't understand. Weren't they in school before? They must've had it better than us then.
11-19-2007 01:40 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

yes acually, our principlal has screened all of matt's posts (sry matt was i not supposed to say that?) omg i hate that, she probably thinks she has the upperhand on us now....haha thas acually kinda funny! Laugh Evil

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-19-2007 01:47 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

You know what else I hate? When you ask your parents for something you want, and they ALWAYS say "Well, if you did better in school, I'd buy it for you". This always happens to me, and COME ON, Bs aren't bad grades. And then when I DO get good grades, they say "Who cares about your grades? Look at your behavior." Makes me want to pull out my hair!

What surprised me though, is when I got my report card and I told my mom to just throw it away and not even bother to look at it. She said, it's ok she won't yell at me if I got a bad grade. She saw it and didn't say anything about that C in Chemistry. Usually, she'd have hung me with my school ID.
11-19-2007 01:57 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Meh, grades are grades. It's like they're trying to measure how smart you are, which I believe is impossible. I think, if most of us were to learn in the way that suits us best, we would all be intellectuals. It's the fact we're taken from the moment we can first survive without our mother and put in a place that most of us have only a partial aptitude for that makes us less smart.

Parents who punish their kids for grades need to go live with a donkey in a barn for 5 weeks.

11-19-2007 02:04 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Weswammy Wrote:Parents who punish their kids for grades need to go live with a donkey in a barn for 5 weeks.

I've never been punished, only yelled at (not anymore). I don't think my parents even know the definition of punish.
11-19-2007 02:30 AM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

wadekarl Wrote:... I haven't made any higher than a 2.1 GPA...

This just in! My report card came in yesterday and now my GPA is 2.333. Yay! Noo
11-19-2007 03:47 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

seriously? Wtf

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-19-2007 03:51 AM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Yeah, so I guess that means I'm smarter. Rolleyes
11-19-2007 03:54 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

isnt it out of 100? i tink im geting confused.....

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
11-19-2007 03:57 AM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Nah, the GPA system, in my school district at least, is out of 4.0.

3.0 is honor roll and 3.5 is high honor roll.
11-19-2007 06:52 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I usually get a 4.0.
I think I won't this year though. Algebra.

11-19-2007 07:03 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Not when you don't know wtf you're doing.

11-19-2007 10:49 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:I usually get a 4.0.
I think I won't this year though. Algebra.

Algebra is the reason my GPA is a 3.9 right now and English, Chemistry, and Trigonometry are just gonna lower it this year.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
11-19-2007 10:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Schools Are Prisons (And That's A Good Thing) Miller0700 49 18,020 01-30-2017 05:06 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Forced To Get Good Grades To Pass JakeAE86 5 3,571 02-20-2016 03:43 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  good grades, adult values, etc stevehein 3 2,826 02-02-2015 03:06 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  Students React to a Classroom Without Grades xcriteria 0 2,097 11-19-2014 03:15 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  How Students Lead the Learning Experience at Democratic Schools xcriteria 4 2,254 10-21-2014 09:24 AM
Last Post: MrAnonymous
  Good grades dosen't mean your smart analogue 34 24,536 09-14-2013 08:59 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Teacher told students my grades Marauder 23 9,793 04-02-2013 06:38 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Prisoner of good behavior and grades Dirtbikemike 12 7,688 12-28-2012 01:01 PM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
  How to slack but get good grades? ..V.. 10 9,439 03-19-2012 01:34 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Study hard, get good grades, and find a good job. Cryme 27 12,740 11-10-2010 03:59 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser