RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you fear it.
SilenceXEmotion Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Do you fear it.

Do you agree with this quote? Or do you fear death?

"From the day of your birth, you have been living on borrowed time. You and I are both going to die at some point, and in the end there is not a thing you or I can do to change that.

In death, all we forfeit is the brief moment in time we call the present. You cannot lose anything of the future. The future you fear losing is imaginary."

Of course I agree with it or else it would not be in my sig.

From the day of your birth, you have been living on borrowed time. You and I are both going to die at some point, and in the end there is not a thing you or I can do to change that.

In death, all we forfeit is the brief moment in time we call the present. You cannot lose anything of the future. The future you fear losing is imaginary.
02-08-2008 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

This reminds me of the saying memento mori..

it means remember you are mortal and you will die....

When I was younger I feared death but as I got older I accepted it and even grew curious of it..
Death can be interpreted as many things..

A peaceful rest to life's long journey..
A horrible fate that splits loved ones apart..

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-08-2008 10:54 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Nah. I live, I die. Everything goes on.

K
S
02-08-2008 10:57 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

yep thats death in a nutshell anyway unknown guy..

image hosting jpg
02-08-2008 10:59 AM
The One Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I thought about it really really hard when I was a lot younger. But I'm cool with it now.

BRING ON THE DEATH! WOOOT EXTRA SAUCE!

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato
02-08-2008 11:05 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I am terrified of it.

Terrified.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-08-2008 11:42 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

dont fear it

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
02-08-2008 11:57 AM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I could post some religious comment, here but it will just cause a huge and ultimately pointless argument, so I won't.
02-08-2008 02:40 PM
SilenceXEmotion Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Oh yes, I forgot this is from a non-religious point of view of course.

From the day of your birth, you have been living on borrowed time. You and I are both going to die at some point, and in the end there is not a thing you or I can do to change that.

In death, all we forfeit is the brief moment in time we call the present. You cannot lose anything of the future. The future you fear losing is imaginary.
02-08-2008 02:41 PM
Zombie Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I believe in reincarnation. And in that sense, we aren't our bodies like people believe. Cause the body is like a car, it gets totaled and you get a new one, but you don't become that car.

Who are the brain police?
02-08-2008 07:30 PM
Almosthere Offline
Renegade

It's not like you can do something to stop it. I've been used to the idea of dying for a while now. Though i'd hold it off for a couple years, assuming i had the choice. If you let fear of death control the way you live, then your going to be pretty depressed when you actually do kick the bucket.

I believe strongly in finishing what i

one of the most interesting differences between school and prison, is that prior entering the second, you are read your rights. The less you know the better.

'Why is it that every time you open your mouth, you say something to annoy me?'
'With all do respect sir, i could ask you the same question.'

[Image: 8a21bd064d.gif]
02-08-2008 11:35 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I used to be scared of death. I wondered about the afterlife, and whether or not my life will have made any significant difference down the line. I worried about heaven and hell too.

I thought about it for a while, and realized the reason people fear death is because they want to leave something worthwhile behind after they're gone. So I think if you can do that, you won't fear death. Much. I also figured the afterlife stuff is irrelevant, because I do what I do because I believe I should be doing it, regardless of the rewards or punishments. If I do things for the rewards I might get in the afterlife, I'm doing it for the wrong reasons anyway.

There's still stuff I wanna do and experience before I die though. But if I did die like right now (after I post this)... I'd be mildly OK with it, I think.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-09-2008 05:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

No. I fear it because I don't know what it is.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-09-2008 06:11 AM
Coma Girl Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Re: Do you fear it.

omg green! lol. I dont give a flying fuck about it. Thats sounded rude and arrogant, what i mean is that i dont want to think about it because i dont know anyhting about it, i donot fear it, nor do i not fear it

"People often compete to be considered right rather than collaborating to find the real answer."-Will.

[Image: %210kickme.jpg]
02-09-2008 10:20 PM
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I'm looking forward to it. Nobody is mean about you once you're dead, you become the most intelligent person that has ever lived and the prettiest and funniest and livliest. Sorry but everyone loves dead people. Nobody cares about the alive ones. Only thing is you won't be there to see them love you.

[Image: angel.png]
02-10-2008 01:31 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Sadam Hussien is dead people hate him.
Hitler is dead, he's no hero.
Homeless people die on the street every day and no one even notices.
02-10-2008 12:14 PM
fragile_esteem Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Maxwell Wrote:Sadam Hussien is dead people hate him.
Hitler is dead, he's no hero.
Homeless people die on the street every day and no one even notices.
I take that point, but I was meaning "average" people, who have family who do not show they care or friends that use them for granted. i am not a dictaror/ abuser of article 48.

[Image: angel.png]
02-11-2008 02:01 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

It doesn't need to sound so fancy, but I agree. Why do you call it a "quote"?

This is why we should be doing things we want to do rather than whatever we "have" to do and why we may do "too much" of things we like to do, which includes some things that noobs may call "work."
fragile_esteem Wrote:I'm looking forward to it. Nobody is mean about you once you're dead, you become the most intelligent person that has ever lived and the prettiest and funniest and livliest. Sorry but everyone loves dead people. Nobody cares about the alive ones. Only thing is you won't be there to see them love you.
I thought about this a bit a few years ago. It would be really cool to fake your suicide and then reappear when everyone was so sad that you'd died. It probably wouldn't work so well, though, because people would be too worried about school and work to care to much and because your parents would yell at you as soon as you got back.
02-11-2008 04:15 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I can't separate my very well religion from my view on death since it helps me cope with it and assures me that I won't just "die" and that, in fact, death is just a means to the afterlife and not and end to everything.
But if I had to separate it I could look back at my younger days when religion meant little to nothing to me. I truly didn't give a crap since the idea I was mortal never really dawned on me. I was just like any other human, too arrogant to actually accept my mortality. I wasn't scared of it, because it didn't seem to even exist.
Except for funerals of course, but that could never happen to me.
It was my religion that forced me to face death and the consequences after it. And you can guess what happened next.

In short: Yes, I'm afraid of death because it's something I've never experienced and I can't ask anybody what it's like, but what I'm not afraid of is what's after death. Because death is just something that happens to your mortal body, not you. It's like going to a new place, because life still goes on.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-11-2008 04:19 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Weswammy Wrote:I can't separate my very well religion from my view on death since it helps me cope with it and assures me that I won't just "die" and that, in fact, death is just a means to the afterlife and not and end to everything.
But if I had to separate it I could look back at my younger days when religion meant little to nothing to me. I truly didn't give a crap since the idea I was mortal never really dawned on me. I was just like any other human, too arrogant to actually accept my mortality. I wasn't scared of it, because it didn't seem to even exist.
Except for funerals of course, but that could never happen to me.
It was my religion that forced me to face death and the consequences after it. And you can guess what happened next.

In short: Yes, I'm afraid of death because it's something I've never experienced and I can't ask anybody what it's like, but what I'm not afraid of is what's after death. Because death is just something that happens to your mortal body, not you. It's like going to a new place, because life still goes on.
The cool thing about that is that when you die, you will actually know, so you will be happily anticipating what happens next. Aside from perhaps being slightly less worried about dying, I see no practical problems with this belief.

But how can you believe something so arbitrary, unfounded and thus stupid?
02-11-2008 09:22 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

So we all call out to death in our own ways..
Some in anticipation, some out of fear, and some out of curiosity.. Scratchchin

Ohh forget it.. Blush

image hosting jpg
02-11-2008 09:47 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Will Wrote:But how can you believe something so arbitrary, unfounded and thus stupid?
Not every belief has to be based on logic and the materially provable, my friend. And for it to be stupid is only your opinion, not fact.
Now I could tell you the reasoning behind my beliefs all day, and I have posted them on these forums before. But it only ensues into and endless discussion(and sometimes a fight) that cannot be resolved. Therefore I really don't feel the need to, y'know, tell why.

02-11-2008 09:53 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

I'm sorry; it's just so tempting.
Weswammy Wrote:
Will Wrote:But how can you believe something so arbitrary, unfounded and thus stupid?
Not every belief has to be based on logic and the materially provable, my friend.
The ones that aren't are illogical.
02-11-2008 09:57 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

'illogical' isn't necessarily the same as 'incorrect' or 'wrong' or 'false'. Just 'illogical' and possibly 'unprovable'. That's all.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-11-2008 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tock172 Offline
Revolutionary

No, why would I fear death? I can admit that I lie a lot, but this is one thing that has always been the same for me. I am not afraid to die? I think it is just the next continuation of this grand adventure.

"One cannot make a difference if one cannot express opinions properly" -Eric Harris
02-12-2008 03:49 AM
thoughtmaker Offline
Pariah

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

i don't fear death. i kind of look forward to it. i don't have a deathwish or anything, but i'm excited about finding out what it all adds up to Smile
02-12-2008 04:06 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I don't fear death. Death is inevitable, and no one truly knows what happens after we die. So, worrying about either is just a waste of time.
02-12-2008 11:24 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I could try to convince people of what I think, but no one is here to be convinced Smile So I thought I'd through out a couple quotes that give people something to think about for a moment and also show what I think about it:

Is death the last step? No, it is the final awakening.
- Sir Walter Scott

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
- Paul - 1 Corinthians 15:26

O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?
- Paul - 1 Corinthians 15:55

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
02-13-2008 05:32 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Maybe life is an explosion. Life's purpose is to explode, as big as possible, and leave a ripple in the ocean of life. Then, death is the point in time when the fire of your explosion disappears. Death is darkness. No fire, no light. Sounds dark huh?

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
02-16-2008 01:15 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

We can talk about what death is all day, but the fact is:
Nobody really knows. That's why people are scared of it. It's the same reason little kids are scared to go under their bed or soldiers to fight in new lands.

02-17-2008 05:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The end of the world or the mindset of fear? Miller0700 10 3,578 12-08-2012 11:53 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  What does the have to fear? Zombie 34 4,646 04-02-2008 07:52 AM
Last Post: thewake