RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Concerns about Anti-school-ness
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
2 Concerns about Anti-school-ness

Even though I hate school, I've been thinking....i don't want to sound pro-school, but...

1) It seems to me like a majority of people actually think school is good and necessary (maybe i'm wrong). we the school-haters, then, are in the minority. I believe that everyone's vote should count equally...aka egalitarianism. Since the majority of people think school is good, should it not remain in place? would making school optional violate the rights of the majority?

2) i was reading another forum, and one member made a post complaining about her job and people's stupidity and all the little annoying things in life. i sympathized. But then, further on, one response caught my eye, saying "i fight every day for my daughter's life, she is very sick and I work so hard just so she can stay alive. you are young and healthy and at least have a job. What else can you want?"
That really got me thinking. yes school positively sucks, but how can i compare my troubles to those of that poor dying daughter and her dad? This world has so many problems; shouldn't we fix the biggest ones first? Like hunger and AIDS and useless wars? then save things like school for later?

people, don't get me wrong. i'm not saying I firmly believe either of these points I made, they're just things that occurred to me and that i've been wondering about. i still think the school system needs to change....just not sure whether that should be our first priority in the world.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this.
02-09-2008 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Quote:would making school optional violate the rights of the majority?

No, because it's just what you said: optional. Those who don't want to, don't have to. And those who want to, can.
Quote:yes school positively sucks, but how can i compare my troubles to those of that poor dying daughter and her dad? This world has so many problems; shouldn't we fix the biggest ones first? Like hunger and AIDS and useless wars? then save things like school for later?

We shouldn't stop fighting for what we want just because some people are in a worse position than we are.

It may be more considerate to help fight hunger and AIDS and such, and perhaps we are. But that's not what this site is about.
02-09-2008 12:26 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

If the majority believed that all of the Jews had to be killed and a minority disagreed, we would follow the majority and kill all of the Jews. That's a really stupid idea, though, so I would try to prevent it.

The people who support school accept that whatever happens in school is necessary because people wouldn't learn certain things if they weren't forced to. The problem is that they believe that people need to go even if they don't want to.

If someone else got raped every day and you only got raped once a week, should you just be glad that you're not raped more often? You should not avoid improving your situation just because you're not starving like the children in Africa. You can be glad that you're better off than that, but you should still try to make yourself happier.

If you didn't try to improve your situation even though you sort of wanted to, you wouldn't became a mega smart scientist who cured AIDS, made a lot of money on his cure and decided it would be fun to help out said children in Africa by donating food and AIDS vaccines and funding education.
02-09-2008 01:40 PM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Eidolon Wrote:We shouldn't stop fighting for what we want just because some people are in a worse position than we are.

But shouldn't we fight to help those who are worse off before helping ourselves?
02-09-2008 05:51 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

dreamer... Wrote:
Eidolon Wrote:We shouldn't stop fighting for what we want just because some people are in a worse position than we are.

But shouldn't we fight to help those who are worse off before helping ourselves?

My response is this:
Quote:You should not avoid improving your situation just because you're not starving like the children in Africa. You can be glad that you're better off than that, but you should still try to make yourself happier.
02-09-2008 06:19 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Sure, help others. But just remember that the worse off you are, the harder it is for you to help others. Be grateful if you are only mentally tormented 5 days a week while people are beaten half to death every day of the week, but maybe if you weren't being tormented at all, you'd have the mental strength to help more people.

Also, what Will said. Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-09-2008 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Re: 2 Concerns about Anti-school-ness

it's true, there are bigger problems than school. but remember, the major industrialized nations that have the money to support a good national education system are part of those problems. their people are the ones buying the clothes and toys made in sweatshops and following the leaders who bomb cities in the middle east. school helps keep the people in line so that they don't rock the boat. taking down the school system fosters free thought that could lead people to start waking up and fighting against those bigger problems.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
02-10-2008 02:46 AM
Thotwater Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Quote:yes school positively sucks, but how can i compare my troubles to those of that poor dying daughter and her dad? This world has so many problems; shouldn't we fix the biggest ones first? Like hunger and AIDS and useless wars? then save things like school for later?

Although some issues are more imperative than others, they should all be taken care of eventually. And though it may not be as urgent as useless wars and such, I would consider school a fairly important problem. After all, it dominates your life while you're being forced to attend.

"Speak softly, for always ones are listening."
02-10-2008 04:34 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

dreamer... Wrote:1) Would making school optional violate the rights of the majority?
Making school optional wouldn't because they could still go to school. IT may actually be them violating our rights. Did you ever think that?
Quote: This world has so many problems; shouldn't we fix the biggest ones first? Like hunger and AIDS and useless wars? then save things like school for later?
How can we fix other people's problems that may seem bigger, unless we first have no problems of our own? It's like the dentist with yellow teeth who takes all his time making people with rotting brown teeth have white teeth and never attends to his own. Soon enough he's going to have rotting brown teeth anyhow. I mean, sure I feel for the people who have AIDS and who get killed in useless wars and maybe those things are worse than school. But how can I help those people with those big problems if I still have a problem too?
Besides, who's to say school isn't a big problem anyhow? I think it's the biggest brainwashing mechanism in, get this, history.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-10-2008 09:19 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Ummm... yeah. There is no way in hell most people see school as good. Maybe necessary, but that's there ignorance of any other better solution.
Go to your school and see how many people enjoy school, ask the teachers what they think. The teachers will most likely say school may suck but it's a necessary evil. (Of course that's their ignorance of any better system.)
Some adults don't give a rats ass because they had to go through school and think since they had to do it we have to too.

And yes their are a lot more problems. But as Student said why can't we improve our situation? Besides, it's not like we are dedicated to any ONE cause. I can sit here and fight for youth rights', I can also fight corporatism and rich corporate asshole ripping of the rest of the population, and amazingly I can go to a peace rally and preach equality and help for the people starving in Africa.

It's stupid of you to think one can only dedicate themselves to one cause.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
02-10-2008 09:45 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

God damnit, people stole what I was gonna say. >[

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-10-2008 10:13 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Freak Wrote:It's stupid of you to think one can only dedicate themselves to one cause.

very true, Freak, thanks for pointing that out.

And you guys' replies reminded me of why i hate school in the first place. As soon as I read what everyone said, I had an urge to take back everything i said, put my tail between my legs and run away expecting everybody to now hate me. School has trained me to fear the results of free thought and thinking differently than others.
at least i hope not everyone hates me now. Sad

I still think reforming school should not be the world's priority. Not that we shouldn't resist it at all. hey, we all have our opinions.
02-10-2008 06:02 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I dun hate ya. Biggrin

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
02-11-2008 12:09 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

dreamer... Wrote:
Freak Wrote:It's stupid of you to think one can only dedicate themselves to one cause.

very true, Freak, thanks for pointing that out.

And you guys' replies reminded me of why i hate school in the first place. As soon as I read what everyone said, I had an urge to take back everything i said, put my tail between my legs and run away expecting everybody to now hate me. School has trained me to fear the results of free thought and thinking differently than others.
at least i hope not everyone hates me now. Sad
Cool! As everyone always says I'm wrong, I keep trying to consider what they say and come up with other reasons for why I may be wrong, but I never manage to find any. This is frustrating because then I really understand that everything everyone says about school is bullshit.
dreamer... Wrote:I still think reforming school should not be the world's priority. Not that we shouldn't resist it at all. hey, we all have our opinions.
School being so messed-up as it is is part of a larger, inefficient, unnecessary, traditional additude about how we need to pray to some man in the sky, obey superiors and elders, avoid questioning, &c. It explains a lot of problems.

I don't plan on ever trying to reform school on a large scale. I know how stupid school is, so I'm going to avoid it and similar situations so I can take over the world. That in itself is a good use of my realization that school is evil. After I've done that, I'll be more influential, and only then would I make any attempt at reforming school on a large scale.
02-11-2008 03:19 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:And you guys' replies reminded me of why i hate school in the first place. As soon as I read what everyone said, I had an urge to take back everything i said, put my tail between my legs and run away expecting everybody to now hate me.

Why would anyone hate you? Hug

Quote:I still think reforming school should not be the world's priority.

No worries, the odds of that ever becoming the world's priority are very, very slim. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
02-11-2008 09:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheSovereign Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Look we're not all Jesus. Some people can go out and do their thing to make the world a better place, but we're focusing on the school system. It's stupid to say, "Oh! There are too many problems, better sit on my ass!" If everybody does their own thing, the world would be a little better.

The Anarchist revolution is near! We will crush the evil government by drawing the Anarchy symbol on school desks, listening to alternative rock, watching Loose Change, and shouting:"Anarchy rules!!!".
02-13-2008 07:39 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

dreamer... Wrote:Even though I hate school, I've been thinking....i don't want to sound pro-school, but...

1) It seems to me like a majority of people actually think school is good and necessary (maybe i'm wrong). we the school-haters, then, are in the minority. I believe that everyone's vote should count equally...aka egalitarianism. Since the majority of people think school is good, should it not remain in place? would making school optional violate the rights of the majority?

2) i was reading another forum, and one member made a post complaining about her job and people's stupidity and all the little annoying things in life. i sympathized. But then, further on, one response caught my eye, saying "i fight every day for my daughter's life, she is very sick and I work so hard just so she can stay alive. you are young and healthy and at least have a job. What else can you want?"
That really got me thinking. yes school positively sucks, but how can i compare my troubles to those of that poor dying daughter and her dad? This world has so many problems; shouldn't we fix the biggest ones first? Like hunger and AIDS and useless wars? then save things like school for later?

people, don't get me wrong. i'm not saying I firmly believe either of these points I made, they're just things that occurred to me and that i've been wondering about. i still think the school system needs to change....just not sure whether that should be our first priority in the world.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

1.This is why we have freedom of choice, we shouldn't waste our time conforming like everyone else does.

2. What matters first in our minds is in truth the most important thing.

woah dude
dude woah
02-13-2008 08:07 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

TheSovereign Wrote:Look we're not all Jesus. Some people can go out and do their thing to make the world a better place, but we're focusing on the school system. It's stupid to say, "Oh! There are too many problems, better sit on my ass!" If everybody does their own thing, the world would be a little better.
You know, that's probably the smartest thing I've read all day.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
02-13-2008 08:12 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Okay, #1 was just me being an idiot, if school was optional of course it wouldn't violate anyone's rights. It would be democratic, because everyone could do what they want. i apologize for my stupidity.

#2, i'm still iffy. I guess to some people school might be the biggest issue in the world right now. that's their opinion, fine. But people are starving, dying on the battlefield, and being placed in solitary confinement for years because of their beliefs (as opposed to 1 hour detention). What Freak said before is very right, you can certainly dedicate your efforts to more than one cause. But as for fixing your problems first, i believe you CAN help others even if you have problems yourself. Tending only to what affects you seems rather selfish- one should try to help others as well, if they can. Of course, doing something to improve the world is always better than doing nothing.

it seems none of you agree with me...oh well, that's life. Rolleyes

Of course, i'll admit I'm just being hypocritical now. i'm sitting here in front of the computer instead of helping anybody at all. Rolleyes Guess I'd better start practicing what I preach.
02-13-2008 11:16 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:But as for fixing your problems first, i believe you CAN help others even if you have problems yourself. Tending only to what affects you seems rather selfish- one should try to help others as well, if they can. Of course, doing something to improve the world is always better than doing nothing.

That's true. And often by helping others you feel better yourself as well. But you have to be careful not to use the helping others thing to distract you from your own problems instead of solving them (unless they are currently unsolvable and will go away by themselves anyway... kinda like school).

Hidden stuff:
02-13-2008 09:28 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

dreamer... Wrote:Okay, #1 was just me being an idiot, if school was optional of course it wouldn't violate anyone's rights. It would be democratic, because everyone could do what they want. i apologize for my stupidity.

#2, i'm still iffy. I guess to some people school might be the biggest issue in the world right now. that's their opinion, fine. But people are starving, dying on the battlefield, and being placed in solitary confinement for years because of their beliefs (as opposed to 1 hour detention). What Freak said before is very right, you can certainly dedicate your efforts to more than one cause. But as for fixing your problems first, i believe you CAN help others even if you have problems yourself. Tending only to what affects you seems rather selfish- one should try to help others as well, if they can. Of course, doing something to improve the world is always better than doing nothing.

it seems none of you agree with me...oh well, that's life. Rolleyes

Of course, i'll admit I'm just being hypocritical now. i'm sitting here in front of the computer instead of helping anybody at all. Rolleyes Guess I'd better start practicing what I preach.

#1: You aren't an idiot, if you were then you wouldn't be questioning what you think in the first place. Questioning what you think and looking at all the facts will let you stand stronger if you prove to your self that you are right, or show you the way if you were wrong.

Making forced education optional does put us against the majority. But, the majority cannot always be right. When the majority infringes on the rights of the minority then does that mean the the "Will of the people" is right? "Pure" democracy can be just as "tyranical" as a dictatorship... (In fact "Tyrant" comes from a Greek work meaning a dictator elected by the people) Democracy and Freedom are not the same, that was why they wrote the "Bill of Rights" and why "democracies" are almost always mixed with "republics."

#2: The problems with education are way more far reaching then most people realize... by holding us down... it holds down the whole human race, also the "international" school system's sheer bulk and wastefulness are stealing reasources from better uses. Yes, a few cents could feed someone at the brink of starvation, we throw millions into the school system, we demolish our old school buildings to make way for the bigger and better... Why don't we spend a little building farms in parts of the world that at starving? Give them food AND jobs... Isn't it ironic that we go over there are build SCHOOLS while there isn't any running water... The worlds problems are all interrelated somehow. If we all fix our own problems then it will affect everyone around us and slowly make the world a better place. If we fix our own problems we can see clearly to fix the problems of others...

Take the log out of our own civilization's eye so to speak...

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
02-15-2008 05:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why Does the Anti-School Crowd Lean Left? Aureate 8 4,535 02-15-2017 06:56 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  My School's Anti-Free Time Policies KFC Nyan Cat 17 9,822 01-21-2017 08:39 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Anti-School Yet Pro School MurkScribe 2 2,547 07-08-2015 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dikont5
  school is anti-night people craxyguy562 12 4,672 01-17-2015 08:42 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  The Anti-School Movement - Where Are We Now? GamerGurl 30 19,357 09-02-2014 11:24 AM
Last Post: Missile
  Made an anti school site sanchixx 16 8,166 01-26-2014 11:16 AM
Last Post: Gwedin
  Sending anti-school propaganda to every teacher Sharpie 36 18,485 01-14-2014 03:36 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Anti-school debate on SpongeBuddy Mania HawkbitAlpha 18 13,333 04-14-2013 03:18 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  My fucking annoying parents & an anti-school video GamerGurl 10 12,643 02-27-2013 09:20 PM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  A long anti school conversation with a friend of mine over steam Kretus9999 9 6,439 10-17-2012 07:08 AM
Last Post: Lambda_Physicist