RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[In]finite Universe
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
[In]finite Universe

liq3 Wrote:
john tuttle Wrote:we may be the only form of intelligent life in the universe
Assuming the universe is infinite in size, this is scientifically impossible.

Is it?

Let's do the time warp again!
06-30-2008 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Re: [In]finite Universe

Why not? If the universe is not infinite, there is something outside it.

I mean...nothing...Nothing can't have an end...It is by definition the lack of something. Thus, the universe is either infinite in size, or contained in something else. One of those (or both) must be true.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
06-30-2008 01:07 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Probably not. If the universe has a volume of infinite, then it follows that the thermal energy throughout the universe must be either infinite or finite. If infinite, we'd be fucking vaporized. If finite, yay impending heat death. While there is an infinite void beyond our current universe that is quickly being filled, the universe itself isn't infinite. Well, on second thought, if you count the void as part of the universe, the answer is yes.

K
S
06-30-2008 01:12 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Anonymous1.0 Wrote:Probably not. If the universe has a volume of infinite, then it follows that the thermal energy throughout the universe must be either infinite or finite. If infinite, we'd be fucking vaporized. If finite, yay impending heat death. While there is an infinite void beyond our current universe that is quickly being filled, the universe itself isn't infinite. Well, on second thought, if you count the void as part of the universe, the answer is yes.
Uh...you're logic failed a bit...Say you have an infinite number of workers, with an infinite number of supples, building an infinitely large building. It's gonna take them an infinite amount of time to finish it. Same with the heat. Gonna take it an infinite amount of time to fill the universe. Razz

Bah. More like it's can be infinite, and still be like...moderate enough to not fry us. Bah I can't explain. Really, it's not that hard to grasp...It's so damn obvious. :/

Epic win book.
06-30-2008 01:32 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

lol. If there is infinite thermal energy, and infinite space, then it logically follows that the heat is filling the space with infinite thermal energy and continues to fill the universe with infinite thermal energy as it expands.. And your example really didn't follow.

K
S
06-30-2008 01:55 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

You still don't get it...Lets say that each line is a snapshot, of the universe, and the line after it is a snapshot 10 billion years later (or something. Details aren't important!). E = thermal energy, N = nothing, or universe.

ENNENN
Now it COULD then be
EEEEEE.
But no, this is more likely.
ENNENNENNENNENNENN.
Get it? For every little bit of energy, there is an infinite amount of space to put it. Seriously. You could divide the room into an infinite amount of rooms, each of infinite size, and put a single bit (particle?) of thermal energy in each room, and you'd never run out of rooms.

Another way...lets say math. Infinity * infinity = infinity. Which means infinity / infinity = infinity. Get it? Universe / thermal energy = infinity. Get it?

Epic win book.
06-30-2008 03:01 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

I get what you're trying to say but I still disagree. If there is an infinite amount of thermal energy, then it should be incredibly hot, no matter the amount of space. If you fill an infinite amount of space with an infinite amount of something, then that space is going to be filled with that something.

K
S
06-30-2008 03:43 PM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Liq, I think you're trying to oversimplify a rather tough to grasp cosmological principle in attempting to put a value or definition on "nothing." From the theorized big bang, it wasn't simply matter and energy expanding, but space itself. To attempt to comprehend the "nothingness" outside of "space" isn't only impossible to create a mental construct for, but is inconsequential to any modern purpose imaginable for the reason that faster than light travel is impossible. What we have determined to be the "end" of the universe is forever unreachable due to the forces that attempt to collapse it. Not only do the work against the eternally expanding matter and energy from the big bang, but we are subject to such forces as well and thus will never reach any purported "end" of the universe. It is, for all intents and purposes, an infinite size to us, but isn't truly infinite in its scope.

And for the record, I believe it's been determined that the space time curvature of the universe is ever so slightly saddle shaped. This means that the universe, as stated by Anonymous, though not truly infinite, will suffer from eventual heat death in approx. 10^10 years.

Formerly Headspace
06-30-2008 03:43 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Well.......there's time for another bath then!
06-30-2008 04:30 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Anonymous1.0 Wrote:I get what you're trying to say but I still disagree. If there is an infinite amount of thermal energy, then it should be incredibly hot, no matter the amount of space. If you fill an infinite amount of space with an infinite amount of something, then that space is going to be filled with that something.
Yes, I agree. The thing is, you can have any amount of thermal energy per square light year, and still have an infinite amount of it. That is my point. :/

And rAnx...
rAnx Wrote:but is inconsequential to any modern purpose imaginable for the reason that faster than light travel is impossible.
Just like whether space is infinite or not.

Epic win book.
06-30-2008 05:44 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Eh. I see what you're saying. But I just still kind of disagree. Eh, who knows?

K
S
06-30-2008 06:10 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

After reading all of this I have come to realize that I don't, and never will, comprehend the infinite.

And I also have no idea what any of you mean by infinite heat or infinite space. I also have no idea why anybody ponders such concept while they could be doing something constructive, like pondering the meaning of life or starting a doomed political and social revolution.

Don't any of you feel very small when you think about the Universe?
Like so insignificant it's not even funny?
And how can there, logically, be infinite anything? Like, something could forever be expanding, but not infinite? Right? Or is my human brain just too feeble to grasp the concept, but powerful enough to know it is there?

Meh.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-30-2008 09:43 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

I don't think really anyone can grasp the concept of infinity. As for if infinite anything really exists in anything other than mathematics, the answer is a resounding, "I dunno."

K
S
06-30-2008 09:59 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Woah, I have nothing more to say about the concept of infinity.

I think that a new philosophical age may be dawning upon us, fostered by the growth of the Internet facilitating free thought and transportation of ideas like never before.

06-30-2008 10:03 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Lol. It already has. Began in the 90s.

K
S
06-30-2008 10:06 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Craps, I missed the beginning.
LET US PONDER THE UNPONDERABLE!

06-30-2008 10:08 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Anonymous1.0 Wrote:the answer is a resounding, "I dunno."

He gets it!

I like to pick out favorite theories but I don't see a lot of point in debating over them. Rather discuss them. Realize the amount of uncertainty on our part. But really, this is one of my favorite topics in philosophical forums. There was a poll once on another site to see which people gravitated to and it recognized a couple different options:

-infinite space/infinite time
-infinite space/finite time
-finite space/infinite time
-finite space/finite time

I, myself am a fan of the "big bounce" or oscillating universe theory. Which would put me toward the finite space school. Someone once made the argument that the elasticity would eventually reach an equilibrium but that's the most interesting theory I came across.

Probably Weswammy Wrote:Woah, I have nothing more to say about the concept of infinity.

I think that a new philosophical age may be dawning upon us, fostered by the growth of the Internet facilitating free thought and transportation of ideas like never before.

Postmodernism. It's my favorite word. I use it far too often because the movement excites me so much.

Let's do the time warp again!
07-01-2008 03:05 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Eh I don't know what theory it falls under, but I'd personally say the universe isn't infinite...More that's it's just incredibly large, and it loops back on itself. This is mainly due to my beliefs. Logically, I fall back on the "I have no evidence, so I dunno."

Epic win book.
07-01-2008 03:09 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Happy Camper Wrote:
liq3 Wrote:
john tuttle Wrote:we may be the only form of intelligent life in the universe
Assuming the universe is infinite in size, this is scientifically impossible.

Is it?
if you actually read what i had typed, i said we probably are not sfter that sentence. anyways, even if the universe is infinite, that doesn't mean all of it is full of galaxies and stars. you can have a 3-gallon tank of water with only 1 gallon of water in it. i personally do believe there is some form of intelligent life out there, but it is not a scientific fact yet.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
07-01-2008 03:29 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

john tuttle Wrote:i personally do believe there is some form of intelligent life out there, but it is not a scientific fact yet.
Sure isn't any on this planet.

07-01-2008 03:45 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

i believe in the theory of omniverse, multiverse, univers. if this theory is correct it would be ignorant to believe that we are the only intelligent life forms in the omniverse. in my opinion.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
07-01-2008 05:16 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I believe in a carniverse.
Herbiverses are for weak losers, and omniverses are too compromising.

07-01-2008 05:40 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Probably Weswammy Wrote:I believe in a carniverse.
Herbiverses are for weak losers, and omniverses are too compromising.
*cuts #2530 legs off, burns the wounds to seal them, then feast on his arm because meat is tasty and he made a bad joke*

Epic win book.
07-01-2008 06:03 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

liq3 has seen the light.

07-01-2008 06:04 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Quickly! Close the blinds!

On a more serious note, look at negative numbers. It hardly makes sense when you think about it. You can't have -1 of anything.

*Insert awesome signature here*
Goingcrazy
"You can fight with only 2 things, your wits and your weapons."-Zach Eckard
Soldier1-"Remember the Alamo!"
Soldier2-"Didn't everyone die at the Alamo?"
Soldier1-"Don't remember that part!"
07-01-2008 06:08 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

But it works in distance. I went -5 miles, it's like the opposite of the way you were going.

07-01-2008 06:12 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

No, that's 5 miles. Just in a different direction.

Goingcrazy
07-01-2008 06:13 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Similar to how you can't "face backward".

Goingcrazy
07-01-2008 06:14 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

That's another way of looking at it.
But my way explains why they teach us Algebra.

07-01-2008 06:14 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

I guess.. And just forgot whatever I was thinking about, ah well. Shrug

Goingcrazy
07-01-2008 06:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Universe тωιѕтє∂ 11 4,511 06-12-2013 10:23 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  How Will the Universe End? thriller222 28 9,340 12-12-2011 04:37 PM
Last Post: The Shadowman
  Alas thy Broken Universe ~Mystery~ 1 1,556 03-20-2011 03:55 AM
Last Post: Conformist
  And I looked at the Universe, and all the things in it... AWOL 1 1,164 02-28-2010 08:46 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd