RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get your math homework solved here.
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
Re: I'm doing everyone's math homework. (old)

To be honest, for some reason I always have trouble with these sorts of things. Even in calculus 3, you go over this again (yes, I'm serious), except you use vectors but idk, I get raped with this crap.

Anyway, here's my attempt...pretty sure they're right:

--------------

The key to solving these is to use the point-slope formula: [Image: a211b4370086efa422855a2d30c453a3.png]

And here is the standard form of a linear equation:
[Image: 7e6859919d495035e99c333d04e3e0b9.png], where A, B, C are any real numbers. A and B are coefficients of x and y.

---------------

Quote:Write the standard form of the equation of the line that passes though A(5,9) and is parallel to the graph of y=5x-9

If we want a parallel line to something, in this case, a line parallel to y=5x-9, we take the slope which is m=5 and plug it into the point-slope formula. But we still need more information so that we can get a unique line, in this case, it would be the point (5,9). For the point (5,9), x=5 and y=9 both of which we plug into the point slope equation to get:

y - 9 = 5(x - 5) which simplifies to
y - 9 = 5x - 25
y = 5x - 16 which in standard form equals
-5x + y = -16

Notice we plugged in the values from (5,9) into " y1 " and " x1 ". Just remember if you're going to be substituting values into the point-slope equation that you need substitute the variables y1 and x1 and not the "x" and "y" so that you can actually get a linear equation that makes sense.

Quote:Write the standard form of the equation of the line that passes though B(-10, -5) and is perpendicular to the graph of 6x-5y=24

This is essentially the same problem except the initial conditions ask for a line that is perpendicular and not parallel. To get a perpendicular line, we follow the same procedure as above except in this case, we will have a different value for m. (Note that the variable m is usually going to mean slope.)

Okay, so to get a perpendicular line, we need to find the "opposite reciprocal" of the slope of 6x-5y=24.

First, get the equation into slope-intercept form ( [Image: d24ebc87176b242c935535a363c5fc10.png] )
6x - 5y = 24
-5y = -6x + 24 , (divide both sides by -5 )
y = (6/5)x - (24/5)

The slope of this equation is 6/5, and the opposite reciprocal is -(5/6). All you do is negate, then invert the numerator and denominator.

So our m = -(5/6)

You can do all the work if you want. You do the same thing as above. Here's the answer:

-(5/6)x + y = -(40/3)

I can do the rest a little later. It's 5:45 AM which means time for a run.

BRB LOL

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
09-22-2008 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Re: I'm doing everyone's math homework. (old)

Quote:Write the standard form of the equation of the line that is parallel tot the graph of the given equation and passes through the point with the given coordinates.
1. y= 2x+10; (0, 8) 2. 4x-9y=-23; (12, -15) 3. y=-9; (4, -11)

1. -2x+y=8
2. -(4/9)x + y = -(61/3)
3. y = -11

Quote:Write the standard form of the equation of the line that is perpendicular tot the graph of the given equation and passes through the point with the given coordinates.

1. y=5x+12; (0, -3) 2. 6x-y=3; (7, -2) 3. x=12; (6, -13)

1. (1/5)x + y = -3
2. (1/6)x + y = -(5/6)
3. y = -13

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
09-22-2008 10:23 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Re: CLICK HERE IF YOU SUCK AT MATH AND HATE MATH HOMEWORK

bump't

10-07-2008 12:21 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

bump

01-09-2009 05:47 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

i have maths homework. i just cant remember what it is.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
01-10-2009 11:38 PM
Slaughter Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: Get your math homework solved here.

Uh, guys, well... I don't like to ask for help from other people, but this is really desperate:

I know shit about mathematics. My math teacher is shite. Which means I need to know trigonometry. I found a good video that helped me understand some things from other part of math, but trigonometry remains impenetrable to me. Someone knows where I can find a site or GOOOOD book to learn trigonometry for real?

And if no one knows, can someone help me with my work? If I don't do this, I'm fucked. I flunked in math, so this is my recovery (if the grammar is kinda fucked up, its because I'm translating on the fly from portuguese, so I recomend using a online translator):

1) Determinate: (Determine)

a) Sen 8 π (pi symbol, looks weird in this forum)

b) Sen π

(the 3 won't go below it for some reason, but its pi with the 3 bellow)

2) Determinate the values of m so that the equations can be solved. (Determine os valores de m para os quais as equações tenham solução.)

a) sen x = m² + m - 1

b) Sen x = m - 1
01-13-2009 07:32 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Ok first, you can watch some trigonometry videos here:
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/search. ... eo&x=0&y=0

Start with 1, then watch 2, then 3... or just skip to whatever you need.

Another thing that will help you is by printing out this trigonometry cheat sheet.

If you want me to help you understand this stuff, I need specific information about what you're having trouble with or I can't help you learn it.

Answers:
1)
a) 0
b) sqrt(3) / 2 This says the square root of 3, all of that over 2.

2) is strange. Is that all the information that was given to you? How are you supposed to find m?

I'm not even sure what 2) is asking.

01-13-2009 07:54 AM
Slaughter Offline
Rebel

I think 2 is asking to find what "m" means so both equations can be solved.

What I'm having trouble with? Well... almost everything.
01-13-2009 08:17 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Edit: Didn't notice Slaughter's post.
Google translate says "Determine the values of m for which the equations have solution[s]." It might mean the range of values for m that would make the value of the left side of the equation between -1 and 1. It also might mean the values of m that would only give one solution (left side of the equation equals 1 or -1), but I think if it meant that it would have said x has to be between 0 and 2π.

Sort of guessing here:

b) -1 <= m - 1 <= 1
0 <= m <= 2
If that's even what the question means, Strat can do a) because it's his thread. (And I have no idea how to do it. xD)

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
01-13-2009 08:24 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

That's right fist. Sin (x) cannot ever equal anything less than -1 or more than 1. So you just set up that inequality...

Slaughter Wrote:I think 2 is asking to find what "m" means so both equations can be solved.

What I'm having trouble with? Well... almost everything.

I recommend you watch those videos I linked to. And let me know if there's anything that you particularly can't understand.

Have you just started trigonometry in your class?

I can't help you unless you have a specific problem with something. There's only so much I can do over the internet.

01-13-2009 08:32 AM
Slaughter Offline
Rebel

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Algeb...educed.pdf

Holy crap! I really need to print this stuff! Great stuff, however, it blew my mind. I felt like a stupid caveman just by reading this list. Daaaamn, I suck at math.

I think I will get some free time to see the video at this night. In a hour or two, me thinks.
01-13-2009 12:03 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Slaughter Wrote:http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Algeb...educed.pdf

Holy crap! I really need to print this stuff! Great stuff, however, it blew my mind. I felt like a stupid caveman just by reading this list. Daaaamn, I suck at math.

I think I will get some free time to see the video at this night. In a hour or two, me thinks.

Whoops it looks like I gave you the wrong one. That one you got there is helpful too though.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Trig ... educed.pdf

Try that. Wink

01-13-2009 12:22 PM
Slick Offline
Shattered

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Yeah, umm any possible way that can help me pass the FUCKING
MATH CAHSEE I'VE BEEN TAKING FOR 5 YEARS NOW???

Quote:Slick's Mental Health Status
[Image: Q9YKMxA.gif?1]
02-05-2009 09:31 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Um... Strat, I need help with Negatives. Not answers but, help. We're doing algebra ATM, but there's too many negatives involved.

Also, aside from anything past negatives (excluding algebra[as in I can do algebra]) I'll help you with this

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
02-09-2009 04:49 PM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I'm pretty good with Algebra. I'll try and give you a hand, if you want.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
02-10-2009 08:27 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

No, I can do algebra, it's easy, I just have trouble with Negatives. Or as my teacher says "Directed Numbers".

02-10-2009 03:00 PM
Gaiyara Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

火 Wrote:Um... Strat, I need help with Negatives. Not answers but, help. We're doing algebra ATM, but there's too many negatives involved.

Also, aside from anything past negatives (excluding algebra[as in I can do algebra]) I'll help you with this

Hey I'll help you when I get home from school today. I bet I can clear it up.

What should Gaiyara do Onii-chan? ♡

Hidden stuff:
[Image: clannad_sig_960-1.png]
02-12-2009 05:07 AM
Gaiyara Offline
Pariah

What confused me when I started learning about negatives was all these unwieldy "rules" my teacher came up with that are unnecessary. Not only that, but we would spend the entire time learning about the "theory" behind negatives (lol). The truth is, nobody cares about different ways of "looking at" negative numbers, and by the time you actually get to the point where you're going to be looking that closely at numbers, you'll be a professional mathematician.

So here's a way to better understand how to simply compute operations where negatives are involved:

-----

Let's look at -6 + 2. A very simple arithmetic problem. What helped me when I started with negative numbers was (1) by moving around the "terms" (more explanation in a moment) and (2) by using parentheses and grouping "terms" whenever multiplication and division was involved.

What is a term? Well it gets more involved when you get to higher algebra, but for our purposes, a "term" is going to be each number in some "expression" (such as -6+2 or 7 + 5 - 1 + 20 etc.) including its number sign.

The terms in -6 + 2 are -6 and +2. The terms in 7+5-1+20 are +7, +5, -1, +20. Remember that 7 + 7 is really +7 +7.

Rather than thinking about adding and subtracting, think about it as putting terms together.

When I first started out computing -6 + 2, one thing that helped me was switching the order to 2 - 6. These two expression are equal so you are allowed to do this. I don't know why, but 2 - 6 was always much simpler than -6 + 2.

Now for something more complicating. Take -8 - -13. Remember if you ever have two negative signs together like that, it simply becomes a positive. So,

-8 - -13 =
-8 + 13 =
13 - 8 =

Notice how I switched the terms so I wasn't all confused by that negative sign.

Ex. 31 + (-8) - 13 + 7.

31 + (-8) - 13 + 7 =
31 - 8 - 13 + 7 =
23 - 13 + 7 =
10 + 7 =

Remember that a positive sign and a negative sign together simply becomes a negative sign. And remember, think of these operations in terms of putting negative and positive terms together. When you do 10 - 5, what you're doing is putting +10 and -5 together.

----------
I can write up something about multiplication and division if you need that.

Hidden stuff:
02-12-2009 08:12 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Spiffy, there, Gayarou.

Okay, I can help with anything up to Geometry.
02-12-2009 09:10 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Um... Yes please?

Kay, so now I have the adding/subtracting part down. In three minutes. It took my teachers ages to instill the two same signs = plus two different signs = minus thing. Your a genius!

02-12-2009 02:29 PM
Gaiyara Offline
Pariah

Learning to Multiply and Divide with Negatives

I want to make this very simple.

Remember that the rules for multiplication and division are exactly the same.

The rules:

1) A negative term times a negative term equals a positive term. Always.
Ex. (-5) x (-11) = 55

2) A negative term times a positive term equals a negative term. Always.
Ex. 4 x (-7) = -28

Remember that 4 x (-7) is the same as (-7) x 4. This is the commutative property of multiplication. You don't need to remember that big fancy term. Wink

That's all there is too it.

Try these problems on your own. The answer is in the hidden tags.

1) 28 / -4
Hidden stuff:

2) -25 / 5
Hidden stuff:

3) -40 x -2
Hidden stuff:

4) -6 x -7
Hidden stuff:

5) -10 x 2
Hidden stuff:

Challenge problem (Hint: Compute the expressions within the parentheses first.):

(5 - 6) x (-10) / (-5 + 3)
Hidden stuff:
(5 - 6) x (-10) / (-5 + 3) =
(-1) x (-10) / (-5 + 3) =
10 / (-5 + 3) =
10 / (-2) =

Hidden stuff:
02-13-2009 01:53 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

for once i dont hhave any maths homework.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
02-13-2009 02:45 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Thanks Strat!

Well, I am now ready to give you some help with this shindig.

02-13-2009 02:58 PM
Yas Offline
Rebel

Re: I'm doing everyone's math homework.

magikarp Wrote:[Image: qstn6.jpg]

Halp! (Find x. Also, I forgot to write in the cm part. But I don't think that's too important.)

My math teacher is so mean. D:

Lol, your three kind of looks like an ass on its side! Biggrin
03-17-2009 04:36 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Yay for Pythagoras pissing me off! It's easy as.. Well yeah, it's easy. But no one in my class understands it. Blargh!

03-24-2009 04:43 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Yas Wrote:

Halp! (Find x. Also, I forgot to write in the cm part. But I don't think that's too important.)

Huh Noo
11-18-2009 11:02 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

[quote
Hidden stuff:
="Gaiyara"]Learning to Multiply and Divide with Negatives

I want to make this very simple.

Remember that the rules for multiplication and division are exactly the same.

The rules:

1) A negative term times a negative term equals a positive term. Always.
Ex. (-5) x (-11) = 55

2) A negative term times a positive term equals a negative term. Always.
Ex. 4 x (-7) = -28

Remember that 4 x (-7) is the same as (-7) x 4. This is the commutative property of multiplication. You don't need to remember that big fancy term. Wink

That's all there is too it.

Try these problems on your own. The answer is in the hidden tags.

1) 28 / -4
[hidden]-7

2) -25 / 5
Hidden stuff:

3) -40 x -2
Hidden stuff:

4) -6 x -7
Hidden stuff:

5) -10 x 2
Hidden stuff:

Challenge problem (Hint: Compute the expressions within the parentheses first.):

(5 - 6) x (-10) / (-5 + 3)
Hidden stuff:
(5 - 6) x (-10) / (-5 + 3) =
(-1) x (-10) / (-5 + 3) =
10 / (-5 + 3) =
10 / (-2) =
[/quote][/hidden]

GOD I love elementary Algebra.
It's fuckin' ice cream and cookies compared to Pre-Calculus!

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
11-18-2009 01:42 PM
Denied Offline
Banned

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Which is a fucking ice cream cone compared to college logic.
Oh wat I don't take college logix... I'm in 8 grade.
06-04-2010 08:45 AM
Denied Offline
Banned

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Yas Wrote:

The answer is 5....

What math class are you in??? Pre algebra?
06-04-2010 08:46 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Nah man, I'm in college.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
06-04-2010 09:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to shorten math homework that's in your mathbook craxyguy562 9 7,142 11-11-2013 03:59 AM
Last Post: vonunov
  Does anyone have some math homework? Desu 2 3,149 08-17-2013 12:24 AM
Last Post: numbertexts
  Math homework I need help Luizao876 4 6,551 02-02-2013 07:22 AM
Last Post: SmokeyTheAggie
  Help me with my math homework! ijkm 17 12,278 04-12-2012 08:25 AM
Last Post: Stadium
  Expository Essay Help (ASAP) *solved* Efs 4 5,043 03-13-2012 05:51 PM
Last Post: Efs