RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are some of your most controversial opinions?
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Re: What are some of your most controversial opinions?

heres an article that puts the cost at 2800/child/year. this one is written by a mother of 8.

http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Features/A...tchild.php

that puts my calculations at 56000 a year for 20 kids.

oh and this doesn't take into account that the 20 wont all be at the same time. allowing for saving money for a house (i'm planning for that too.) on college there's a reason student loans were invented.

the average household income in the US is 49,777, which puts me right around there.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p60-238.pdf

i think I know what I'm doing
08-08-2011 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

The Desert Fox Wrote:Yep, having luxuries like "enough food" and "a comfortable amount of living space" are completely unnecessary.
Dude, who needs them? Does anyone really even what that?

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
08-08-2011 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

here is the holy grail of making ends meet with a large family

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tightwad-...0375752250
08-08-2011 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

jnkbortka Wrote:heres an article that puts the cost at 2800/child/year. this one is written by a mother of 8.

$50k < $56k

Quote:oh and this doesn't take into account that the 20 wont all be at the same time. allowing for saving money for a house (i'm planning for that too.)

You realize that in you'll need at least a six bedroom three bathroom house to fit all those kids right? Do you know how much those cost? At least $500k. First you'll need to put down at least 20% (100K) as a down payment. Then you'll have to pay a mortgage + interest. At a 30 year mortgage you will end up paying $13333/year or 1111/month. And that's not including interest. Assuming a 5% fixed interest rate & using the compound interest formula;

[Image: image002.gif]

You would end up paying another $1.4 Million on the mortgage thanks to interest.

Quote:on college there's a reason student loans were invented.

So let me get this straight: You'd rather have 20 kids, and saddle them with $20k - $50k of non dischargeable student loan debt, instead of having a sustainable amount of kids and helping each of them pay for the cost of school?

Congratulations, you're an asshole.

Quote:i think I know what I'm doing

Let's recap:

1) You have only one source of income (yours)
2) According to another thread you're going to get married straight out of highschool, which means you'll have little to no skill marketability.
3) Your budget is completely unsustainable
4) Your solution to college is to load your kids with debt, that can't be dissolved in bankruptcy which will limit their abilities to start families of their own.

Summation: you have no fucking clue what you're doing.

Edited once for math fail. (forgot to factor in down payment to mortgage.)
08-08-2011 12:47 PM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Ayliana Wrote:
jnkbortka Wrote:heres an article that puts the cost at 2800/child/year. this one is written by a mother of 8.

$50k < $56k

Quote:oh and this doesn't take into account that the 20 wont all be at the same time. allowing for saving money for a house (i'm planning for that too.)

You realize that in you'll need at least a six bedroom three bathroom house to fit all those kids right? Do you know how much those cost? At least $500k. First you'll need to put down at least 20% (100K) as a down payment. Then you'll have to pay a mortgage + interest. At a 30 year mortgage you will end up paying $13333/year or 1111/month. And that's not including interest. Assuming a 5% fixed interest rate & using the compound interest formula;

You would end up paying another $1.4 Million on the mortgage thanks to interest.

So let me get this straight: You'd rather have 20 kids, and saddle them with $20k - $50k of non dischargeable student loan debt, instead of having a sustainable amount of kids and helping each of them pay for the cost of school?

Let's recap:

2) According to another thread you're going to get married straight out of highschool, which means you'll have little to no skill marketability.
4) Your solution to college is to load your kids with debt, that can't be dissolved in bankruptcy which will limit their abilities to start families of their own.

$500k? no. dome houses are cheap. 30-40k for a large one, which you can build yourself, and are very efficient, further saving money.

student loans? my dad got student loans and there are 6 of us. you dont get this shit. this is also under the assumption that they GO to college. I plan on opening a business, which if it works out, will provide jobs for the family.
08-09-2011 08:17 AM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

jnkbortka Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:

$50k < $56k

Let's recap:

$500k? no. dome houses are cheap. 30-40k for a large one, which you can build yourself, and are very efficient, further saving money.

student loans? my dad got student loans and there are 6 of us. you dont get this shit. this is also under the assumption that they GO to college. I plan on opening a business, which if it works out, will provide jobs for the family.

Unless you can't get a job with no work experience and only a high school education, that will be able to pay atleast 56,000 a year, and just hope that you won't get laid off.

What if one of your kids get's cancer? What if a tornado hit's your house, or some other bullshit happens that ruins your life? What if YOU get sick, and can't work? Now you have 25 (give or take a few, obviously) starving children, and you can't even feed yourself.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
08-09-2011 08:44 AM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Blobthe15 Wrote:
jnkbortka Wrote:$500k? no. dome houses are cheap. 30-40k for a large one, which you can build yourself, and are very efficient, further saving money.

Unless you can't get a job with no work experience and only a high school education, that will be able to pay atleast 56,000 a year, and just hope that you won't get laid off.

What if one of your kids get's cancer? What if a tornado hit's your house, or some other bullshit happens that ruins your life? What if YOU get sick, and can't work? Now you have 25 (give or take a few, obviously) starving children, and you can't even feed yourself.

first: I am going to college. so i will not have only a HS education

now on the second one, I'd be in the same boat with any amount of kids
08-09-2011 09:01 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

jnkbortka Wrote:first: I am going to college. so i will not have only a HS education

Its not a guarentee you'll find a job in your field.

Previously known as Derchin.
08-09-2011 09:04 AM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Derchin Wrote:
jnkbortka Wrote:first: I am going to college. so i will not have only a HS education

well then there's certainly time to change my mind!
08-09-2011 11:10 AM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Derchin Wrote:

well then there's certainly time to change my mind!
08-09-2011 11:10 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

jnkbortka Wrote:$500k? no. dome houses are cheap. 30-40k for a large one, which you can build yourself, and are very efficient, further saving money.

[Image: dome-home-m.jpg]

Ok, let's ignore the stupid here for a second and consider this. Even if you build your own house for $50k you're still going to need at least another $50k for land. Because let's face it. Unless you plan on living out in the sticks land is going to be expensive.

Quote:student loans? my dad got student loans and there are 6 of us. you dont get this shit.

This coming from the kid who wants to go to college, get married, start a family and build a house all at the same time.

You're going to hit bankruptcy before your 30th birthday.

But what would I know? I've only been to college myself, earn real business experience and proven myself in not one, not two but three different fields (culinary arts, business administration, and IT)

Yeah, what the fuck could I know?

Quote:this is also under the assumption that they GO to college.

Even if they don't go to college they're still going to need some form of job training or certification.

Quote:I plan on opening a business, which if it works out, will provide jobs for the family.

Good luck with that. 50% of businesses fail within 5 years
08-09-2011 11:20 AM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Ayliana Wrote:

Ok, let's ignore the stupid here for a second and consider this. Even if you build your own house for $50k you're still going to need at least another $50k for land. Because let's face it. Unless you plan on living out in the sticks land is going to be expensive.

I do plan on living in the sticks haha

Ayliana Wrote:
Quote:student loans? my dad got student loans and there are 6 of us. you dont get this shit.

This coming from the kid who wants to go to college, get married, start a family and build a house all at the same time.

But what would I know? I've only been to college myself, earn real business experience and proven myself in not one, not two but three different fields (culinary arts, business administration, and IT)

yea M'KAYY Bored as i said before i will have plenty of time to reconsider. 20 kids don't all come at once

Ayliana Wrote:

Even if they don't go to college they're still going to need some form of job training or certification.

Quote:I plan on opening a business, which if it works out, will provide jobs for the family.

50% is not 100%
08-09-2011 12:31 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

jnkbortka Wrote:50% is not 100%

No but your stupidity makes it a lot more likely that any business you create will go down in flames.
08-09-2011 12:36 PM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Ayliana Wrote:

No but your stupidity makes it a lot more likely that any business you create will go down in flames.

wanting to have alot of kids has nothing to do with running a buisness
08-09-2011 12:38 PM
jnkbortka Offline
Crazy Redneck

Ayliana Wrote:

wanting to have alot of kids has nothing to do with running a buisness
08-09-2011 12:38 PM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

jnkbortka Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:

I do plan on living in the sticks haha

Ayliana Wrote:

yea M'KAYY Bored as i said before i will have plenty of time to reconsider. 20 kids don't all come at once

Ayliana Wrote:

50% is not 100%

You plan on living on sticks, you don't plan on buying any land. You will get arrested.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
08-09-2011 01:11 PM
Aya Offline
Banned

*See's Jknborka's new sig*

Watch on YouTube
08-09-2011 01:18 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

*After reading through current shitstorm*

Wow man I believe I got a picture of your future.

[Image: 1258517163520.jpg]

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
08-09-2011 02:00 PM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

LOL

im high as fuck, that's controversial

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
08-09-2011 03:28 PM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

My most controversial opinion: the axis of World War II were, over all, no less evil than the allies.

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
08-09-2011 09:53 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

That greed is a learned habit and we aren't all naturally monomaniacs for self interest and all selfish.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
08-11-2011 05:10 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:That greed is a learned habit and we aren't all naturally monomaniacs for self interest and all selfish.
I'm of the opinion that the goal of each man's life is his to choose and that no man has a claim on another man's life. Thus, I am against selflessness and I think selfishness a virtue.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-11-2011 07:43 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:That greed is a learned habit and we aren't all naturally monomaniacs for self interest and all selfish.
I'm of the opinion that the goal of each man's life is his to choose and that no man has a claim on another man's life. Thus, I am against selflessness and I think selfishness a virtue.

Straw Man again.

Having power over someone's life has nothing to do with being selfish or selfless and should never be associated with what it truly means to be selfish or selfless.

Claiming someone else's life is selfishness, because you can use them for the benefit of yourself, not that you actually care about that person or there well being only as to how it affects there serfdom to you.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
08-11-2011 07:53 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Wrote:Straw Man again.

Having power over someone's life has nothing to do with being selfish or selfless and should never be associated with what it truly means to be selfish or selfless.
I think this will explain a misconception you have. Even though it addresses another particular issue, it explains two types of power: http://fee.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/cliches53.pdf

And, I didn't say anything about power. I was speaking of a moral claim. Selflessness can be simply defined as the belief that it is moral to subjugate one's own interest to the interest of those around you. To sacrifice your happiness to the happiness of others. I think selflessness is immoral.

Quote:Claiming someone else's life is selfishness, because you can use them for the benefit of yourself, not that you actually care about that person or there well being only as to how it affects there serfdom to you.
Let me put it simply: I don't own anybody. Nobody is my serf. I don't advocate anybody being a serf to anybody else.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-11-2011 08:09 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Somehow, you two bring this debate where ever you guys go. Wtf

08-11-2011 08:13 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Despite a few downsides here and there I thought brave new world's world was a great place to live.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
09-04-2011 12:50 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

9/11 was cool. Just watching the planes slowly fly in the towers and watching them go up in smoke and flames was breathtaking, IMO.

09-04-2011 01:11 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:Despite a few downsides here and there I thought brave new world's world was a great place to live.
Quite this... I'm almost done with the book and I mostly disagree with the Savage's view of how everything should be. Christianity, excessive abstinence and morals, and fear of progress isn't a lot better than everyone being born out of bottles, and into castes... that's one of the only "bad" things about the new world.

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-04-2011 01:41 PM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Derchin Wrote:9/11 was cool. Just watching the planes slowly fly in the towers and watching them go up in smoke and flames was breathtaking, IMO.
Agreed. I remember watching it on TV when I was 5 for the first time. Those images have been seared into my mind. While I understand how terrible it must of been for the people in the towers, it was still a day like no other. Incredible.
09-05-2011 10:08 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Derchin Wrote:9/11 was cool. Just watching the planes slowly fly in the towers and watching them go up in smoke and flames was breathtaking, IMO.

Yea to be honest it was a very cool looking incident... the collision and collapse. Yet, that was about it, once I start thinking about the people it loses the coolness. lol

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
09-05-2011 10:37 AM