RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unschool
madmansley Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
unschool

I know this has been made 1000 times but I need some help anyway. I want to unschool, I'm already in a homeschool program but its the same work as a normal public school, aka boring and pointless. The only problem is my grandpa wants me to get a diploma. I'm 16 but live in California and the drop age is 18. So what do I do? I asked him and sent links to his email for him to look at it but he hasn't looked at them yet, and still wants me to get a diploma.
03-21-2009 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: unschool

First off, try these:
http://www.school-survival.net/alternat ... ut-GED.php
http://wiki.school-survival.net/Convincing_Parents

You could just stop doing the homeschool work and such, and teach yourself things instead. That might prove to your grandpa that you're really serious about this.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-22-2009 02:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
madmansley Offline
Rebel

that might work but if I stop he'll ground me in defiantly...
03-22-2009 12:18 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Can you still teach yourself stuff while you're grounded? Maybe stock up on stuff you might need before you stop with the homeschool program.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
03-23-2009 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
madmansley Offline
Rebel

yes I could I'd be without internet access without outside access, so I would have to stock up. I dunna know, I'm gonna buy the teenage liberation handbook and see what that says maybe if he reads it it'll convince him. thanks for the help though actually talking about is helping
03-23-2009 03:24 PM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Uhm, I'm going to have to ask that you kinda be more specific on your situation. Like, are you living with your grandfather, or with your parents and your grandfather's influence in their decisions? This would really help me help you.

Also, yay for being referred to Biggrin
03-23-2009 04:35 PM
madmansley Offline
Rebel

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Uhm, I'm going to have to ask that you kinda be more specific on your situation. Like, are you living with your grandfather, or with your parents and your grandfather's influence in their decisions? This would really help me help you.

Also, yay for being referred to Biggrin

I've been living with my grandparents for about 11 years now my mom has just moved in 2 years ago, as you can imagine she doesnt have as much influence as she and I would like. Since she lives here without rent it would be hard for her to stand up to them because she has no where else to go.
03-24-2009 04:27 AM
Fanatic

Hmm . . .

I'm not too sure, but I think you just need to do what I said in my article; you need to articulate to your grandparents on why your current schooling situation displeases you.
03-24-2009 05:07 AM
madmansley Offline
Rebel

Oni-Chiisu Wrote:Hmm . . .

I'm not too sure, but I think you just need to do what I said in my article; you need to articulate to your grandparents on why your current schooling situation displeases you.

hm, I guess I can try, the only thing I can think of saying is I feel like I'm not learning anything, I mean I pass the tests with good grades infact, its just his answer will be "sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do"
03-24-2009 11:40 AM
Fanatic

That's the issue; sometimes you DO have to do things you don't like to do, but at such a young age? No. That's freaking unreasonable, because you seem to only find that children are the ones doing things they don't want to do.

You shouldn't be sitting at a table getting high marks! You should be enjoying life. Why can't adults who've been through the same shit understand that?! The fact that your grandfather has the audacity to demand you get a diploma and not care what you have to say about it is inexcusable. It's fucking wrong. He's wrong for not wanting to look at other alternatives, and he's fucking wrong for not realizing that you're not learning anything.

You need to get in his faced, get pissed off, and tell him the truth. You're not learning anything from homeschool. You don't learn life, and about mistakes by sitting at a table doing workbooks! All that does is prepare you for paperwork. It's not an education, it's schooling. It's fucking wrong.
03-24-2009 02:00 PM
madmansley Offline
Rebel

^ thank you
03-24-2009 02:10 PM
madmansley Offline
Rebel

so I talked to my mom about it today and she said if I stop I go back to normal school, what do I do? I can drop out legally yet
03-25-2009 07:28 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

If you haven't already, I recommend you read this. ... and click through to the source site and read the comments and other sites that linked to it.

Hidden stuff:
03-25-2009 11:11 AM
madmansley Offline
Rebel

thanks that was a good read, I started reading earlier but had to leave. Was really interesting.
03-25-2009 01:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the most homeschool/unschool friendly states soli 12 6,613 03-22-2017 04:32 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  I want to unschool, but my mom probably won't like the idea at all. MG917 38 19,797 01-09-2013 03:22 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  I want to unschool - how can I convince my parents? Kaylingrl_1 8 7,575 05-14-2009 01:10 PM
Last Post: NowhereWoman
  I want to Unschool myself Tasty Waffles 6 3,801 04-25-2008 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles