School Survival Forums
Messy Handwriting - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Messy Handwriting (/showthread.php?tid=9532)

Messy Handwriting - AWOL - 04-24-2009 09:41 AM

Am I the only one sick of teachers commenting on it? Seriously, mine looks like someone got stabbed a bunch of times and stood over a piece of paper, but that doesn't mean my work is any less intelligent. When I was an little 1st grader I said 'Screw the fucking handwriting' (sadly I already swore then Biggrin) 'and teach me something!'

It's annoying, I'm always getting marked down because 'this 9 looks like a g' to which I retaliate '9'S ARE FUCKING G'S YOU INCOMPETENT MORON!' And I get detentions over and over again. I really don't care. My Japanese looks fucking epic, and my English is above the Yr. 12 average so stop fucking complaining.

[/rant]
[discussion]

Re: Messy Handwriting - Murktomp - 04-24-2009 09:55 AM

Haha, yeah I get stuff wrong all the time in multiple choice, and I can't argue saying I got it right. Unfortunately these stupid schools and the people inside are only grade conscious.

Re: Messy Handwriting - MM - 04-24-2009 10:10 AM

I've been told many times I write like a girl (I guess that means it's neat), although I sometimes write like I'm dyslexic.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Will - 04-24-2009 11:45 AM

That always terrified me. And it didn't make me write any better.

But recently I've been wanting to improve my handwriting, so I got a fountain pen and started using a superior cursive handwriting grip, called "round handwriting". I'll post more on both of these when I feel like it.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Hanny - 04-24-2009 12:18 PM

Up until last year my handwriting was completely intelligible even to myself. Now it's okay.

I used to get funding from our dear Government because my spelling, writing, ability was fine - it was just nobody could read my handwriting well enough to prove it.

Re: Messy Handwriting - classclown - 04-24-2009 12:20 PM

i get told that alot. but i can change my hand writing easy. i just dont cause annoying teachers is fun

Re: Messy Handwriting - Leon Kinotolian - 04-24-2009 12:28 PM

Mortalitas Wrote:My Japanese looks fucking epic, and my English is above the Yr. 12 average so stop fucking complaining.
Really. Seniors have some shitty handwriting. I've seen it.

Re: Messy Handwriting - xcriteria - 04-24-2009 01:48 PM

My handwriting has always been quite messy. There's really no reason to be graded down for it. I don't think I ever was after elementary school. Longer stuff was accepted typed, anyway. It's funny though, because I can type great, and the computer screen and printer have perfect handwriting. Laugh

I've been told I write with my hand in a weird position. Not for a long time, but it's also been a long time since I've written anything by hand other than my signature or some notes to myself.

Re: Messy Handwriting - monkey - 04-24-2009 01:58 PM

My hand writing is just OK... I wouldn't say average though. There is this one kid In my class who wrote so bad that he needed an alternative. So they gave him this cool mobile keyboard thing. He just downloads all his work off it. But the lucky ass gets a spell checker built in.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Elfy - 04-24-2009 04:37 PM

Leon Kinotolian Wrote:
Mortalitas Wrote:My Japanese looks fucking epic, and my English is above the Yr. 12 average so stop fucking complaining.
Really. Seniors have some shitty handwriting. I've seen it.

I think he meant His english is better, not his handwriting.

Re: Messy Handwriting - AWOL - 04-24-2009 05:00 PM

I was talking about my English skills, not handwriting.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Sunbourn - 04-25-2009 02:23 AM

My handwriting has always been pretty much unreadable. I used to get my grades marked down all the time because of it, but I do my work online now so it isn't much of a problem at the moment.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Incollegenow - 05-05-2009 08:29 AM

I have horrible handwritting too. It was hard enough writing standard english, but then in third grade they teach you cursive. If by forth grade, you didn't write in cursive, you would get punished. I tried to explain that I wrote better the other way, but they just wouldn't listen. They said "What about when you sign a contract! It will need to be in cursive!!". UGH! The excuses teachers make to justify this crap!!

Luckly, in college, they don't require cursive and will only accept writen papers. Why can't they just stick with one writing style?! It would make things so much easier, but making things easier would go against the schools number one rule.

Re: Messy Handwriting - cp - 05-05-2009 09:09 AM

My handwriting is so crappy. My keyboarding teacher, of all people, marks down 5 points on all my written assignments for 'messy writing'. Now I understand marking down but 5 points on almost every assignment? Im a lost cause.

I have tried to write better so I can understand what im writing and my teachers wont mark me down so much. though.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Milk2Go - 05-05-2009 09:24 AM

My handwriting is incomprehensable at best.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Will - 05-05-2009 11:45 PM

To those who need/want to write better in cursive: Try round handwriting.

I can't find any good pictures online, but I can post some at some point. Basically, place the pen between and parallel to your index and middle fingers, then touch your thumb to it. You can do this at any point along the barrel of the pen.

This grip is far superior for curvy strokes and very strongly encourages cursive writing. I don't think it's much better than a proper dynamic tripod grip (the one you learn in school), but if you currently use a degenerated dynamic tripod grip, it's definitely better, regardless of whether you are writing in cursive. I think it's easier to get paper cuts with round handwriting though.

You may also want to try a fountain pen. More about that later.

Re: Messy Handwriting - Milk2Go - 05-06-2009 09:26 AM

I use a combination of cursive and print. My lowercase q's are the cursive kind, and usually a few letters are connected to each other in words.

Re: Messy Handwriting - returnal - 05-06-2009 09:32 AM

My handwriting sucks beyond belief. That's all the description necessary.

Re: Messy Handwriting - ThreeRivers - 05-17-2009 02:50 PM

I'll admit it, my handwriting is terrible, but that doesn't make me any less competent. (Hell, I'm headed for AP English next year!)

I was "taught" cursive in second grade. She may have done it for a week and then just stopped. (There was some reason for it, but it slips my mind.) So, since no other teachers picked up the slack, I can't write in cursive very well. (Loved that scene from Billy Madison for this reason.) I can fudge most of it but my signature never looks natural.
Anyway...

If I sit down and concentrate, my hand writing is alright but if I do that I tend to loose my train of thought/how I wanted to word something. I also tend to loose letters when I write. For example: The word "the" looks like "Th" with a little flip on the end of the letter h. This has really killed my spelling because, even if I know how to spell the word, it can come out wrong.
Luckily, my English teacher this year has similar handwriting, so I don't get any flak from her but my History teacher from last year was horrible about it. (She gave me a break when I explained to her about my cursive, though.)

Re: Messy Handwriting - random_name - 05-18-2009 04:33 AM

My handwriting is legible, and most of the time it is quite neat. You can tell which subjects i enjoy, or when i have had a bad day - if i hate the subject, or have had a bad day i tend to write in print. Whearas, if i have had a good day i write joined-up. My writing is quite tall, curvy and sometimes quite gothic in appearance. My teachers hate it, for some reason. i dont know why, though. Most people I've asked can read it ok.

My S's and F's are quite unusula. Sometimes my X's. I write my S's in a fluid curve, a loop at the top, then a semi-circle down. I'll find a pic later. My f's change a lot. Mostly they are two teardrop shapes, on on top of another. My X's are sometimes one semi circle, with another disecting it.

Those descriptions were crap, i know. Pics on their way.

Re: Messy Handwriting - AWOL - 05-23-2009 12:17 PM

Pics please, your handwriting sounds awesome.