School Survival Forums
What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Youth Rights (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? (/showthread.php?tid=9392)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - xcriteria - 05-04-2009 12:49 AM

The more I try explaining and writing about "anti-school people who like learning," the more I find myself looking for a good, re-usable word for this group.

Why a word? It's unnecessary when talking amongst ourselves, but it becomes very useful when trying to get the public to see us as a legitimate class of people who are worthy of consideration. It's crazy that, as individuals, we are often not taken seriously, just because what we're about isn't well-described by any of the stereotypes in people's minds ("honor student", "lazy dropout", "troubled youth", "school phobic", "gifted but learning disabled," "whining teenager," "druggie," "ADHD," "just difficult.") There's no positive or even neutral category in most people's brains for someone who resents forced schooling AND wants to and does pursue learning on their own terms AND is not doomed to "flip burgers" AND therefore should be listened to, not punished or treated for being this way. In order for things to change, this concept must be created!

Ultimately, there should be books, articles, and/or films about us that most teachers, psychologists, and even the general public know about, so that when they meet or hear about someone with these characteristics, instead of being confused, dismissive, or angry, they can say "oh, it's one of THESE interesting creatures." And likewise, when someone who has felt that way for years, maybe feeling alone and never really understood by their friends, parents, and teachers, can say "I'm one of THESE interesting creatures."

The thing is... the term "anti-school" doesn't work for this purpose. Some people hate school out of pure laziness and disinterest in learning, and that's not who I'm referring to. Some people like aspects of school -- maybe they have a good teacher, or college is acceptable whereas they hated high school. Maybe they're even a good student and want to stay in school but they still basically question the whole thing and still learn outside of school and see beyond its limited purpose. And "anti-school" is too negative.

Maybe there doesn't even need to be one word. Maybe a phrase. Maybe multiple words or phrases. Maybe, just an idealized character that people could make reference to.

Ideas?

Re: what hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - returnal - 05-04-2009 12:54 AM

Free-learner?

Re: what hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Darthmat - 05-04-2009 01:10 AM

I.N.E (in need of education).

Re: what hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - SoulRiser - 05-05-2009 11:43 PM

Smart people who require a more flexible education because they feel stifled in school?
Would be nice if it was shorter. Though noobs would probably respond "Why don't you take more advanced classes?" ... it needs to tackle that as well.

This is a great idea, we need to come up with something everyone can agree on, and then I'll go rewrite the entire site to use that term all over the place so that it spreads moar.

Re: what hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - SoulRiser - 05-06-2009 11:36 PM

The term actually doesn't need to mean anything on its own. We could make something up that sounds interesting, like "indigo children" (note: this actually exists), people will get curious, Google it, and we just make sure we have some results for it that explain it nicely. Easily done by making a page on Wikipedia for it, and hope and pray they don't delete it.

Re: what hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - xcriteria - 05-07-2009 10:51 AM

Yeah, exactly... a made-up or re-defined word might be the best thing. Like "indigo children", "queer", "millennials" (people born ~1980-2000), etc.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Aviator - 05-08-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:Smart people who require a more flexible education because they feel stifled in school?

Spwramfebtfsis

Hmm... I'm liking the first part there -

Spwarm (looks like Swarm... with a P. Let's be the Spwarm!)

Febtfsis

Hmm...

Spwarm Febtsis

Order of the Spwarm Febtsis.

Sounds kind cool. But nobody would ever remember it. None

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - xcriteria - 05-08-2009 12:09 PM

Hahaha. It's a start. Biggrin

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - SoulRiser - 05-09-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:Spwarm Febtsis.
Sounds like some kind of fungus or something. Laugh

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - returnal - 05-09-2009 09:41 AM

I'd try free-learner, but what the hell do I know...

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - psychopath - 05-10-2009 10:59 AM

Aviator Wrote:Order of the Spwarm Febtsis.

Lol I love this.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - random_name - 05-10-2009 09:28 PM

psychopath Wrote:
Aviator Wrote:Order of the Spwarm Febtsis.

Lol I love this.

The first bit sounds too much like spam =]

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Desu - 05-13-2009 12:19 AM

Pro Education Anti School = PEAS

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - SoulRiser - 05-13-2009 01:55 AM

I like PEAS. Just sounds a bit funny when applied to people... "he's a PEA...S" Giggle

I like the "free-learner" idea, I just think it could be easily open to misinterpretation... 'cause they're not free, but they wish they were.

self-determined learner?
One problem with "learner" is that in some countries they use that as a synonym for "student" or "pupil"... which could be a bit confusing for some people. But I can't think of a better word to use there.

self-determination: Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-determination_theory

"intrinsic motivation" sounds good.
http://giftedkids.about.com/od/glossary/g/intrinsic.htm

I'm finding interesting links here. bbl

EDIT:
Made new topic with links and stuffs... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14911

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - NowhereWoman - 05-14-2009 12:45 PM

I like free-learners the best.
Short, easy to remember, to the point, not a stereotype, etc.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - emilythebored - 06-05-2009 10:43 AM

What about independent thinkers or is that in already in use?

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - xcriteria - 06-05-2009 02:01 PM

Maybe independent learner?

I think that works, though it doesn't encapsulate all of the above. Well, it'll take more than a phrase, anyway, to encapsulate all that. It'll take explanations, examples, a re-training of the average person's stereotype.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - psychopath - 06-05-2009 03:58 PM

I think independent learner implies that we only like to learn by ourselves, but I think most of us just don't want to be forced to learn something in a certain way.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - NinjaSwan - 09-14-2009 09:47 AM

Man I saw this thread and I had been thinking about the exact same thing the last few hours.

I really couldn't think of anything other than "free-learner" either. Maybe if we call ourselves Sexi Monkeys. And replacing the "y" with the "i" shows how serious we really are.

Cuckoo

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - McGee! - 10-13-2009 06:35 AM

How about Students (or people) Against Inefetive Teaching Techniques...Or "" Againt Terrible Schools

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Loxor - 10-13-2009 08:42 AM

Is it a Jackal?

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - SurvivalWarrior - 10-14-2009 04:27 AM

Iam, i hate school (place of learning) like learning new things and mastering complex things and iam doing good, but iam becoming crazy in this prison they have put us all in!!!!! the things they teach needs changing, real training needs to be given to staff better training and make less sarcasam in the classroom, the goverment need to go back to step 1.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - McGee! - 11-14-2009 03:58 AM

SurvivalWarrior Wrote:Iam, i hate school (place of learning) like learning new things and mastering complex things and iam doing good, but iam becoming crazy in this prison they have put us all in!!!!! the things they teach needs changing, real training needs to be given to staff better training and make less sarcasam in the classroom, the goverment need to go back to step 1.
They were looking for a word, not asking you.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Vatman - 11-15-2009 02:45 AM

I really adore this idea, and am ashamed that I had not found this thread earlier. I have this idea, not for the word mind you...but the means to find the word. To take a lost word and reinvent it. I will look for some words that I find to be possibilities for redefinitions and post them here...feel free to do the same. http://phrontistery.info/clw2.html

Hidden stuff:
helctic adj 1658 -1658 (although this word doesn't mean schooling necessarily we can modify it to drag out education.)
acting to drag or draw out

sparsile adj 1891 -1891 (We can modify this word as well, and call its followers Sparsites or something of that matter)
of a star, not included in any constellation

stiricide n 1656 -1656 (School is the house, we are icicles....or more over; we are stiricidal)
falling of icicles from a house

surgation n 1688 -1688 (this one is a joke of course)
erection of the penis

tollation n 1688 -1688 (While some may fall into schools braainwash, we are tollators, we tollate it...)
act of lifting

tornatil adj 1661 -1661 (We are made upon a wheel of change, the Tornatilians)
made with a wheel; turned on a wheel

vinitorian adj 1656 -1656 (Being not merely part of the vine, we stand out as Vinitorians...)
of or pertaining to tending vines

auturgy n 1651 -1656 (This definition actually works perfectly; Members of the Auturgy unite)
self-action; independent activity

caprizant adj 1730 -1736 (We may beat irregularly but our souls cannot lie caprizant, we are the Caprized afterall)
of the pulse, uneven or irregular

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Amortisatie - 11-15-2009 03:30 AM

Nice vatman, I like the last one the most Thumbsup

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - SoulRiser - 11-16-2009 06:53 AM

Awesome stuff there Vatman. Yes

I like these:
tollation n 1688 -1688 (While some may fall into schools braainwash, we are tollators, we tollate it...)
act of lifting

tornatil adj 1661 -1661 (We are made upon a wheel of change, the Tornatilians)
made with a wheel; turned on a wheel

auturgy n 1651 -1656 (This definition actually works perfectly; Members of the Auturgy unite)
self-action; independent activity

I like Auturgy the most though. It's not even in my dictionary. Even Google has very few results for it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=auturgy

And the cool thing about this is, if we use this method to find the word to use, it shows that we are not just uneducated rebels without a cause - we actually looked up some history to find our word. XD (well, one of us did)

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - CrayolaColours - 11-16-2009 07:59 AM

Awww, I want to make up a word...

Oh well, free-learner it is then?

I still say we make up a word, then people will have to look it up, instead of assuming. Even if "free-learner" is an epic idea.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Vatman - 11-16-2009 05:18 PM

I like autugry as well, there is something empowering by redefining a word. I feel as though if we were to choose the word, nay idea behind autugry, we can make it into a banner a self discipline of sorts. We can make a wikipedia entry for it, a urban dictionary...hell we could send it to Webster to be redefined.

If we were really trying to start a movement, this would definitely be a good first step.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - Ceiling Cat - 11-26-2009 03:12 PM

I have been looking for a group like this all my damn life. Sorry for not introducing myself, but what the hell.

Anyway I also wondered what should the name be. But looks like you already did a good job at this, as Auturgy(Auturgian for naming a person) fits quite nicely as a word describing one of us.

Re: What hates school, loves learning, and isn't doomed? - academic prisoner - 11-27-2009 08:57 AM

goin with the free-learners idea here just cause it sounds like we don't want to be tied down by a strict set of rules (IE the free part) and we want to pursue an education (IE the learner part).